Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1495 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2012, 11:34 Silicon Avatar

The scale of the universe is a flash app that shows you how big things are in relation to other things. You can go from the size of the observable universe down to quarks and beyond.

It's kind of cool.

Helicopter parents though.. Really? Is that what latchkey kids grew up to be?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > U.S. Retail Video Game Sales Down 34% in January
17. Re: U.S. Retail Video Game Sales Down 34% in January Feb 10, 2012, 08:52 Silicon Avatar

I still have a huge backlog from all the Steam sales last year.

I also find myself buying a lot of used stuff - including old game cartridges for ancient gaming consoles. They are still fun in their own way and a lot of the games are new to me.

For $60 I can get 4 old Nintendo carts (good games, not crap ones), a huge bag of popcorn, a used comic volume (a compilation that tells an entire story arc), and a used movie DVD.

The value of new stuff often just isn't there anymore for me - and that's just me buying nerd crap. There's all kinds of stuff out there anymore. There's no reason to ever pay full price.

News Comments > Skyrim Sizzle Reel
36. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 22:17 Silicon Avatar

I still wish someone would redo the lockpicking mini-game. Porting that over from Fallout 3/NV and giving it minor difficulty tweaks was such a cheap move. They should have made something all new.

News Comments > Skyrim Sizzle Reel
25. Re: Skyrim Sizzle Reel Feb 9, 2012, 15:35 Silicon Avatar

The spears were cool looking.

I never realized bow/magic didn't have slow-mo kill shots. That's an odd omission.

I wish someone would mod in some landscape that didn't feel cold as hagraven. ... Feet.

It's gloomy and cold outside my window and now it's gloomy and cold on my computer screen. lol.

News Comments > Portal 2 Mod for Skyrim
15. Re: Portal 2 Mod for Skyrim Feb 9, 2012, 07:57 Silicon Avatar

The advancement here is that Bethesda has a mod download site to send its customers to where before all they could do is link to 3rd party ones. It makes mods look more official and might draw better/more modders into the fold.

The rating thing and the search thing will probably get sorted out.

The Nexus will stay popular because it'll host mods that the official site won't.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2012, 21:47 Silicon Avatar

You should get one of those futuristic Japanese toilets.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2012, 19:54 Silicon Avatar

Teacher with flawless cheat video was lame and predictable. I was hoping for a laugh.

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit
95. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 8, 2012, 07:31 Silicon Avatar

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 23:57:
nin wrote on Feb 7, 2012, 23:33:

19x10 is low rez?

Yes. LCD technology is a step backward from the days when we could go much, much higher, with way better color accuracy and higher refresh rates. I play on a 24" widescreen CRT (Sony FW-900) at 2304x1440 and I don't have to enable stupid vsync.

All that and a free aneurysm if you ever have to move it.

LCD isn't a step back. It was when it first came out but not anymore. If you need color accuracy and high refresh there are LCD screens for that. You just have to buy the right type (and those don't come cheap).

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit
60. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack & Creation Kit Feb 7, 2012, 19:10 Silicon Avatar

Yeah if you are getting pink textures it means a texture is missing.

Everyone in the world is probably trying to get the texture pack so it would not surprise me if people needed to do "verify local content" a few times to make sure everything got downloaded correctly.

Downloading now.. Free stuff = can't beat that.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 6, 2012, 16:53 Silicon Avatar

Facebook is almost completely the new Myspace.

What's the next good one?

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Feb 6, 2012, 16:50 Silicon Avatar

Shareware is still around. It's just called indie now. Instead of passing software around a BBS you pass URLs around and people download demos directly.

Shareware isn't piracy and never was. There did exist plenty of pirated shareware though. People would post full versions and cracked/registered keys just like the do now.

Article is pointless or misinformed - can't decide which..

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday?
32. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday? Feb 5, 2012, 20:58 Silicon Avatar

I thought Skyrim looked good out of the box so improvements are cake for me.

I guess I'm not that hard on games since I grew up with text based ones.

News Comments > Skyrim Creation Kit & "Surprise" Tuesday
29. Re: Skyrim Creation Kit & Feb 4, 2012, 06:27 Silicon Avatar

^Drag0n^ wrote on Feb 4, 2012, 01:35:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 4, 2012, 01:28:
The game needs cats - and cats with laser eyes that shoot bees out of their mouths.

If Bethesda releases an HD texture pack for PC for free I will actually be pretty impressed with them.

IMO, any game that chews up 211 hours of gameplay, then suddenly reveals new castles I have not seen before? Pretty damn impressive.

Beth is like what id used to be... Loving the support they are throwing at the PC... Pretty much since FO3....

^D^

Well, there is that.

I do have a ton of hours in the game - and even more in both Fallout games. I always seem to get more than my money's worth out of Bethesda games even if they do take a little patching.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 "Secret Project" Plans
13. Re: Team Fortress 2 Feb 4, 2012, 06:23 Silicon Avatar

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 4, 2012, 01:19:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 4, 2012, 00:18:
I still miss medic's old ability to give people plague. He was so much more fun to play then.

I miss that as well. I also miss Rock2, where the goal was to release the nerve gas and kill the enemy team. There was a limited amount of hazard suits and you'd all be racing to get to them before the gas went off.

Oh yeah! That map was awesome...

23. Re: Skyrim Creation Kit & "Surprise" Tuesday Feb 4, 2012, 01:28 Silicon Avatar

The game needs cats - and cats with laser eyes that shoot bees out of their mouths.

If Bethesda releases an HD texture pack for PC for free I will actually be pretty impressed with them.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 4, 2012, 00:32 Silicon Avatar

Honestly I don't understand Daz's strategy here, but hey free software.

16. Re: Skyrim Creation Kit & "Surprise" Tuesday Feb 4, 2012, 00:25 Silicon Avatar

I'd like to see an official hi-res pack. Half of the ones from the mod community are just resized default textures with a sharpen filter slapped on. I wish modders would quit doing that.

News Comments > Team Fortress 2 "Secret Project" Plans
5. Re: Team Fortress 2 "Secret Project" Plans Feb 4, 2012, 00:18 Silicon Avatar

I still miss medic's old ability to give people plague. He was so much more fun to play then.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 3, 2012, 16:25 Silicon Avatar

IT certs are such a racket.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Turns Two
16. Re: Star Trek Online Turns Two Feb 3, 2012, 06:13 Silicon Avatar

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Feb 3, 2012, 03:05:
It's funny how everyone bitches about the amount of combat being un-Trek like, considering:

- The last series most of the fanbase liked was based on a war (DS9.)

- Few liked Voyager because its solution to most problems was "invent new magical technology on the spot."

- Nobody liked Enterprise until it started getting more violent with the most popular episodes being the mirror-universe two parter, where the cast explicitly solves their problems with violence.

- Only two of the movies end in non-violent solutions. Wrath of Khan is by far both the most violent and most popular.

Yeah, that's fine.

The thing is there are exploration missions in STO. If you knew what a pile of fail those were you'd probably understand.

It's still worth checking out for free, but if you're expecting anything as decent as Interplay's old Star Trek games (the high water mark for Trek story games as far as I can tell) then your expectations are too high.

1495 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo