Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1495 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > On Mass Effect 3 DRM
42. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 11:51 Silicon Avatar

If I have to sign up for Origin it kind of defeats the purpose of avoiding Origin.

If EA gets its head out and puts the game and its DLC on Steam then I'll consider it.

It's sort of stupid for them to turn people away based on what store they want to shop at, but that's EA for you.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 18, 2012, 08:23 Silicon Avatar

finga wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 22:50:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 21:27:
I just don't have a need to install yet another DL service that doesn't offer me any benefits.
Well, you can play ME3 and Battlefield 3 on it. Can't do that anywhere else...

I mean, unless you don't care for those games, which I guess I understand, but you'll care about something that's an Origin exclusive eventually.

Having to sign up for yet another DL service when I don't want to AND having to pay $60 for the "privilege" on top of that is not a big benefit to me. Actually, that's no benefit at all. It's like going to Wal*Mart and having to fill out a form to get through the front door - and then still having to pay your bill on the way out. Games are everywhere - if EA doesn't want me to play their games I will play Bethesda games on Steam - a service I already like.

I cared about ME3 until they made it an Origin exclusive. Now I don't. That will just keep happening.

3. Re: On Mass Effect 3 DRM Feb 17, 2012, 21:27 Silicon Avatar

I just don't have a need to install yet another DL service that doesn't offer me any benefits.

Origin is something EA wants me to have that I don't particularly want. They're going to have to sugar coat it.

Just having ME3 as an exclusive isn't enough for me. I waded through crappy MS Live to get ME2 DLC. I'm not wading through another one.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 17, 2012, 17:22 Silicon Avatar

I agree. I finally got around to using 7 in the past year. I'm just not interested in 8. It doesn't even seem to have interesting features.

News Comments > Notch on Psychonauts 2 "Hype"
39. Re: Notch on Psychonauts 2 Feb 17, 2012, 17:21 Silicon Avatar

At least give the man his due. Five million copies is nothing to sneeze at.

News Comments > Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming
35. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 17, 2012, 08:47 Silicon Avatar

Julio wrote on Feb 17, 2012, 04:23:
Turn based (check)
Probably isometric (check)
Wasteland (check)

I'm there. I love the new kickstarter funding ideas. Too bad traditional publishers are too stupid to make great games anymore.

It's true.

In some ways we did it to ourselves though. When 3D got hot after the first 3DFX card came out almost everybody hopped on the bandwagon. Developers who didn't hop on fast enough were panned by reviewers as making "dated" games. Some of the publishers even died off even though they still made pretty fun titles (eg: New World Computing with Might and Magic the RPG).

After that settled it was a technological ride to see who could reach photorealism first - a really costly technological ride.

The more money developers and publishers invested in programming full 3D simulations the less risk they were willing to take. Iterate that over and over and you have the gaming industry today. It's really pretty, it's really expensive to make games, and almost nobody can afford to make a flop or take many risks.

We'll see how Kickstarter goes. I thought they had a max. amount that a campaign could take in, so I'm not sure Brian Fargo is going to get his million.

If there are enough gamers who remember the old days and have money to spend and have time to play and and and.. Well, we'll see. I hope it takes off and we see a renaissance of "old school" games.

17. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 22:42 Silicon Avatar

If you don't want to dig it up and you don't feel like playing a retro title...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvYcu5qaO-s

That guy did a pretty cool "Let's Play" of Wasteland. His extra narration adds to the game and makes the video enjoyable.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Feb 16, 2012, 20:52 Silicon Avatar

I wonder if Steve Jackson ever kicks himself for screwing around with Fallout's development to the point where they made their own clone rule system. He could be licensing to Bethesda now.

5. Re: Wasteland Sequel Kickstart Coming Feb 16, 2012, 20:39 Silicon Avatar

Sounds cool.

Does it really need a million dollars though? Yeesh..

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2012, 11:48 Silicon Avatar

[url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6RbEOlqRo[/url]

NASA must be proud.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Telepath RPG: Servants of God
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Telepath RPG: Servants of God Feb 15, 2012, 02:55 Silicon Avatar

I remember Telengard. I played it but never beat it. I recall it being pretty hard.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access
14. Re: Mass Effect 3 Demo Early Access Feb 14, 2012, 17:10 Silicon Avatar

I'm not as excited by ME3 as Bioware probably thinks I am.

News Comments > New Skyrim Creation Kit
10. Re: New Skyrim Creation Kit Feb 14, 2012, 13:44 Silicon Avatar

I'm not sure it's just esm. I think Steam workshop is having some glitches with mods being uploaded period.

See thread..

[url=]http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2542360[/url]

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 14, 2012, 12:08 Silicon Avatar

PC gamers should probably just come to the conclusion that their gaming PCs are going to last however long the next console system lasts. It's not all bad if you think about the money you'll save on upgrades.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=8236#content

People are saying you need that for some reason so it might be worth checking out.

I couldn't tell that much difference in the video, but some things did look better. It was free so I'm not complaining.

News Comments > Obsidian Considering a Kickstart
46. Re: Obsidian Considering a Kickstart Feb 14, 2012, 09:25 Silicon Avatar

Bhruic wrote on Feb 14, 2012, 07:57:
Or, to put it more succinctly, once they have your money, to whom are they accountable?

You, but realistically if somebody cheats then the money is probably just plain gone.

Kickstarter doesn't monitor anything as far as I know. All they do is hook contributors up with people who need money. In return you get whatever the project promises after it has been completed. If you don't get your stuff you sue or you write off your loss and learn a lesson. If the project doesn't reach its funding goal then nothing happens.

I think Kickstarter has been around a while so if there were huge scams on it I think it would have gone around the internet by now.

News Comments > Obsidian Considering a Kickstart
33. Re: Obsidian Considering a Kickstart Feb 14, 2012, 04:16 Silicon Avatar

I liked this idea at first but then I stopped liking it after I thought about it.

I'd rather see indies get Kickstarter funding than big companies. Let the big guys duke it out in their own pool.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 13, 2012, 23:37 Silicon Avatar

Gamers sort of dodged a bullet in the 90s when the industry first started to try make individual game developers into rock stars (see: John Romero).

That's the same kind of marketing Hollywood pulls - market a face and then people will go to whatever crap movie is attached to it. If you don't have a face man then your product actually has to stand on its own.

The closest gaming gets is branding, which is bad enough.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 13, 2012, 20:42 Silicon Avatar

I already "awarded" the game developer with my money. Do they really need a piece of plastic with a little baseball on top? Do they need a slice of pizza too?

That's how I look at industry award shows - they're like little league post-game pizza parties for adults.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Feb 13, 2012, 03:16 Silicon Avatar

Could someone please dig up a better self-styled mouthpiece for the indie game community? I know they are out there.  

News Comments > Skyrim IAAS Game of the Year
14. Re: matthew@welchkin.net Feb 10, 2012, 11:56 Silicon Avatar

Watter wrote on Feb 10, 2012, 11:23:
the engine fails in many other ways as stated before (loading screen for EVERY door, and since when did dungeons have doors?)
I'm not sure I would lay this directly at the feet of the engine. I feel it's more the limitations of the targeted console platforms that force this on PC users. I'd be willing to bet that with a few tweaks a much more open world could be achieved on the PC using the same or very similar engine.

I've already seen mods that remove city gates to make them "open", so I am inclined to agree.

1495 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo