Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1585 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Jul 16, 2012, 11:06 Silicon Avatar

I think the stereoscopic gaming revolution was a solution in search of a problem. The only people I know who were excited about 3D and really liked it were the ones who were trying to sell something. None of the players or viewers I ever talked to seemed that enthusiastic or were only enthusiastic about where the technology might be going.

I just didn't care.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jul 12, 2012, 23:59 Silicon Avatar

I think I would be fishing from the back of the deck after that.  

News Comments > Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced
50. Re: Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced Jul 12, 2012, 23:56 Silicon Avatar

I think Garriot was probably a decent game designer who surrounded himself with good talent, but he was bad at managing time and he was bad at managing a company.

He sold out to EA because Origin Systems was tanking, but after he did that I think EA took the reigns away slowly until he just didn't care anymore and the final product (U9) shows his disinterest. Around that time EA was really into UO and I guess they thought they could ride that pony forever.

EA has been trying to do something with single-player Ultima on and off for a while, but they never had the people in place to do it any justice. Bioware/Mythic might have made a good game out of it 4 years ago but now it seems like they're just shells full of group-think and yes-men.

That's my 2 cents about EA/Origin/Garriot anyhow.

48. Re: Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced Jul 12, 2012, 21:52 Silicon Avatar

EA ruins pretty much everything it touches. The only reason they are able to stick around is because they sell sports games to rednecks and then buy up real game studios with the profits.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 21:50 Silicon Avatar

Oh well. 500k for a flash in the pan site is still nothing to sneeze at.  

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Begins
23. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 12, 2012, 14:22 Silicon Avatar

I'm going to buy Legend of Grimrock for sure.

32. Re: Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced Jul 12, 2012, 14:19 Silicon Avatar

I think they're actual dumbfucks.

Or maybe pod people.

They sound like pod people.

They say all the words and they think they know what gamers want, but they just don't get it.

24. Re: Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced Jul 12, 2012, 13:24 Silicon Avatar

I wonder if the "new generation" ever gets tired of being talked down to by people who are building obvious knock-offs.

In the mean time some people who do get it are having a sale.

Grimrock is on sale at Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/207170/

It's $6 for the next 35 hours.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 12, 2012, 12:29 Silicon Avatar

That's fine. Most local retail can die. It doesn't do anything for me. It's just a middle man shipping me a product with no added value.

Best Buy and their ilk deserve what they get.

Clothing stores will have to lower prices or they'll just become showrooms for people to try things on and then order online. That's fine too. It's dumb to have a huge mark-up on "designer" labels made in Korea or China just for the "experience" of going into a store. When you're selling "experience" you're selling air and most consumers figure that out pretty fast.

19. Re: Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced Jul 12, 2012, 12:21 Silicon Avatar

WoW pauldrons, 2 classes, Lady British? Really? Out of all the names in Ultima the best thing they could come up with was Lady British? I know Garriot took Lord British with him, but come on.

I heard that there was going to be another Ultima game and I heard that Bioware was involved so I had a tiny shred of hope.

Now I see it's just another EA pile of shit. Worse, it's a mobile EA pile of shit. It moves around - staining everything it touches.

News Comments > EA Shakeup Rumor
27. Re: EA Shakeup Rumor Jul 11, 2012, 22:19 Silicon Avatar

I guess if you're rich enough you can hire people to make you look good even after you're fired.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Jul 10, 2012, 23:56 Silicon Avatar

I'm just not that enthusiastic about yet another mobile game.

I keep hearing rumblings that someone else is going to do a proper Ultima on PC though. Maybe that is why EA shut down negotiations.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 to Include Original
13. Re: Wasteland 2 to Include Original Jul 10, 2012, 12:50 Silicon Avatar

Techie714 wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 11:17:
Tis is a cool bonus! Psst EA is courting them. If you have been following the development Brian has mentioned a couple of times how nice its been working with EA, this is another example. EA sees a nice IP & after Wasteland 2 ships & if it's super successful EA will sweep in with the offer.....

I hope Brian is smart enough to avoid any deals with EA. They ruin pretty much everything they touch within a couple years.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2012, 16:16 Silicon Avatar

That hair/wig video was pretty funny.

If I had a house without AC I'd at least buy one of those mostly mobile in-room units. Then I could roll it around to whatever area had to be cool and leave it parked for a while. They work pretty well.

News Comments > Molyneux's "Game" Next Month
3. Re: Molyneux's "Game" Next Month Jul 6, 2012, 21:42 Silicon Avatar

To be curious about something people have to care about it first. I wish somebody would make a decent Populous clone so I could stop waiting for Peter to do it.  

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Confirmed
18. Re: Steam Summer Sale Confirmed Jul 6, 2012, 12:18 Silicon Avatar

I'm pretty sure I still have unplayed games left from the last sale.  

News Comments > Minecraft Patch Nears
2. Re: Minecraft Patch Nears Jul 6, 2012, 00:48 Silicon Avatar

I played a ton of Minecraft and then quit suddenly.

I think I was just playing because I really, really, really wanted it to be (or turn into) a really good Populous style game.

News Comments > id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE
6. Re: id Hasn't Forgotten RAGE Jul 5, 2012, 19:39 Silicon Avatar

I'd forgotten about Rage to be honest. I remember when Id releases were a big deal. Now everyone has a decent 3D engine and Id is still painting the world brown and using the same gameplay from 15 years ago... Carmack should just quit like he obviously wants to and concentrate on his rockets.

News Comments > Dead State Kickstarter Ends Today
14. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Ends Today Jul 5, 2012, 14:05 Silicon Avatar

I can't decide if I want to fund this or not.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 2, 2012, 12:43 Silicon Avatar

I haven't used the command line in ages.

There's no particular reason to get rid of it though.

1585 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo