Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1546 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
16. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 29, 2012, 21:41 Silicon Avatar

I like my desktop but I like to actually build them from parts.

It's just a hobby I have though - there's no true need to do that anymore. I guess I'll keep doing it until I decide to move on to hobby robotics or something like that. A couple thousand will buy a pretty cool robot now and I'll be thinking about that when it comes to rebuild the desktop in a few years.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
8. Re: Romero Jul 29, 2012, 21:34 Silicon Avatar

Snozzle wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 19:54:
Romero should speculate on the future of Romero instead.

Aww man, somebody beat me to it.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
16. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jul 28, 2012, 20:43 Silicon Avatar

Flatline wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 15:43:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 14:30:
I'll probably get it eventually.

I "finished" with Skyrim a while back and am actually thinking about replaying New Vegas again with a bunch of mods. Then maybe I'll do Skyrim with some DLC.

I thought Oblivion had better guild quests. Skyrim seems sort of bland and short in hindsight.

I'm hip-deep in New Vegas again. Forgot what a fun game it is, though it's boring as hell until you get to the Strip proper, then it opens way up.

Yeah, I always go straight to the strip from Goodsprings. You can do it if you are careful and a little lucky.

http://twofoldsilence.diogenes-lamp.info/2012/05/jsawyeresp-v4.html

I am thinking of using J.E. Sawyer's mod for Fallout: NV this time. It sounds like it might be pretty cool.

Most of the bad reviews for Dawnguard seem to be people who got mad that it wasn't the size of Shivering Isles. So what I'm getting out of that is that people think it's too short, not that they think it's necessarily bad.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2012, 20:49.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
2. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jul 28, 2012, 14:30 Silicon Avatar

I'll probably get it eventually.

I "finished" with Skyrim a while back and am actually thinking about replaying New Vegas again with a bunch of mods. Then maybe I'll do Skyrim with some DLC.

I thought Oblivion had better guild quests. Skyrim seems sort of bland and short in hindsight.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 28, 2012, 00:43 Silicon Avatar

I'm not sure that instantly accessible information has enriched my life that much.

I could probably do just as well with a feed of highlights delivered weekly. Maybe even bi-weekly.

I guess I'd still have to check e-mail every day. Everything else I read and check could easily wait when I think about it. I'm starting to wonder if that might actually be the way to go.

News Comments > etc., etc.
16. Re: etc., etc. Jul 27, 2012, 01:04 Silicon Avatar

This is the kind of crap you run into when 5000 people want to apply for the same job and HR doesn't feel like sorting through all the apps.

Fair enough I guess, but Metacritic is the best metric they could come up with? Really?

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September
25. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 00:58 Silicon Avatar

PHJF wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 22:17:
It didn't "luck out". Infinity Engine was a brilliant adaptation (or port, really) of D&D to PC. Sure, Baldur's Gate was rough around the edges (and all those edges were brilliantly smoothed over via its sequel), but every year or so when I get a hankering for some classic cRPG I always start where Infinity started, with Baldur's Gate. I wish to god BioWare had stuck with what worked and kept making actual RPGs instead of these dumb fucking Mass Effects.

Did you try NWN? I thought it was a much better computer estimation of D&D. It even had a DM mode and users could make their own mods.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September
15. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 22:08 Silicon Avatar

I always thought that BG lucked out and released at the right time rather than being all that awesome in and of itself. There are a lot of RPGs out there now, so I think I'll pass on the redo.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Jul 26, 2012, 20:32 Silicon Avatar

Sounds like a company to walk away from - or they have a clueless stupid HR department.

It'd be funny if Irrational's next game bombs on Metacritic. Then they could all fire themselves.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 26, 2012, 11:27 Silicon Avatar

Zynga? A fad? Say it ain't so! I never would have guessed. :O

Seriously, Zynga and Facebook are both bubble/fads waiting to pop. Anyone in tech with half a brain could have told investors that.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record
12. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 19:57 Silicon Avatar

Dev wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 19:16:
BTW, the linked announcement contains more info. Worth a read.
NegaDeath wrote on Jul 25, 2012, 17:14:
The power of Steam.
Now if only someone at matrix games would get a clue from this and put something like distant worlds on steam, instead of trying to sell a paltry few games at its current $100 price.

Yeah, I hear that. I'm not checking their games out until they clue up.

News Comments > Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record
5. Re: Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Sets Sales Record Jul 25, 2012, 17:53 Silicon Avatar

Yeah, I want a Galciv 3 too. That's all I really care about Stardock doing.  

News Comments > Quoteworthy - "Windows 8 is a Catastrophe" - Gabe Newell
16. Re: Quoteworthy - Jul 25, 2012, 17:18 Silicon Avatar

The OS (and office-like suites) are becoming more fungible. MS must have / should have seen this writing on the wall a long time ago. Obviously Gabe is starting to think that way too... Or he's just gearing the company up for a Steam Console.

And no, the last "great" OS from Microsoft was not the security-bug-&-virus-ridden XP. It might be Windows 7 though.

News Comments > WoW Mists of Pandaria in September
12. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 12:00 Silicon Avatar

I'm not sure how "off course" it is though.

I think they are right on the mark. WoW came out with cartoony graphics, a really high fantasy story, enormous weapons and armor, etc. I'm not sure it was even originally designed to be all that serious. People just got serious about it because they invested a lot of time in it.

You can probably chart WoW's step back from the brink soon after the Southpark episode aired and the Blizzard execs came to realize that maybe they needed to cater to a more broad fan base.

That is just my perspective from the outside though. I never really got much into WoW.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2012, 11:54 Silicon Avatar

I heard there were some notes and stuff they wanted to use to stretch into a 3rd movie. I guess it's story that happened between The Hobbit and LoTR.

News Comments > WoW Mists of Pandaria in September
5. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 11:49 Silicon Avatar

Maybe they are trying to shake off their stereotypical neckbeard fan-base in favor of people who just want a laugh and a little fun.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2012, 22:10 Silicon Avatar

It's not drawing people away from needy projects. It's just parting fans of PA from their money. Those people aren't fans of Kickstarter. They're fans of PA. If anything it might make the Kickstarter audience a little bigger.

With that said I think it's a stupid idea and would never pay for it, but whatever.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 22:31 Silicon Avatar

If good graphics become a commodity maybe developers will finally focus on things like better world simulation and AI just to differentiate themselves.

It'd be funny if we finally got decent AI just because everybody already had all the eye candy they cared about.

News Comments > Skyrim Beta Patch
1. Re: Skyrim Beta Patch Jul 23, 2012, 22:28 Silicon Avatar

I like Skyrim a lot and I know it's sort of sad but I can't wait for them to crank out Fallout 4 with this engine. I wish they'd let the guys who made New Vegas do the writing, but that's probably hoping too much.

I guess Wasteland 2 will keep me company in the mean time.

News Comments > Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit [Updated]
29. Re: Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit Jul 23, 2012, 15:08 Silicon Avatar

I sort of want to get D3 but then I remember I'm still trying to be bothered to finish SC2.

Blizzard has polished games but I guess once you have played one there is no reason to get the sequel. I may just wait for the D3 cut-scenes to show up on Youtube and watch those. They are the best thing about Blizzard games.

Maybe I will check out Torchlight 2 instead.

1546 Comments. 78 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo