Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1533 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > WoW Mists of Pandaria in September
12. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 12:00 Silicon Avatar

I'm not sure how "off course" it is though.

I think they are right on the mark. WoW came out with cartoony graphics, a really high fantasy story, enormous weapons and armor, etc. I'm not sure it was even originally designed to be all that serious. People just got serious about it because they invested a lot of time in it.

You can probably chart WoW's step back from the brink soon after the Southpark episode aired and the Blizzard execs came to realize that maybe they needed to cater to a more broad fan base.

That is just my perspective from the outside though. I never really got much into WoW.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2012, 11:54 Silicon Avatar

I heard there were some notes and stuff they wanted to use to stretch into a 3rd movie. I guess it's story that happened between The Hobbit and LoTR.

News Comments > WoW Mists of Pandaria in September
5. Re: WoW Mists of Pandaria in September Jul 25, 2012, 11:49 Silicon Avatar

Maybe they are trying to shake off their stereotypical neckbeard fan-base in favor of people who just want a laugh and a little fun.

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Op Ed Jul 24, 2012, 22:10 Silicon Avatar

It's not drawing people away from needy projects. It's just parting fans of PA from their money. Those people aren't fans of Kickstarter. They're fans of PA. If anything it might make the Kickstarter audience a little bigger.

With that said I think it's a stupid idea and would never pay for it, but whatever.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 22:31 Silicon Avatar

If good graphics become a commodity maybe developers will finally focus on things like better world simulation and AI just to differentiate themselves.

It'd be funny if we finally got decent AI just because everybody already had all the eye candy they cared about.

News Comments > Skyrim Beta Patch
1. Re: Skyrim Beta Patch Jul 23, 2012, 22:28 Silicon Avatar

I like Skyrim a lot and I know it's sort of sad but I can't wait for them to crank out Fallout 4 with this engine. I wish they'd let the guys who made New Vegas do the writing, but that's probably hoping too much.

I guess Wasteland 2 will keep me company in the mean time.

News Comments > Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit [Updated]
29. Re: Diablo III Invulnerability Exploit Jul 23, 2012, 15:08 Silicon Avatar

I sort of want to get D3 but then I remember I'm still trying to be bothered to finish SC2.

Blizzard has polished games but I guess once you have played one there is no reason to get the sequel. I may just wait for the D3 cut-scenes to show up on Youtube and watch those. They are the best thing about Blizzard games.

Maybe I will check out Torchlight 2 instead.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 23, 2012, 12:30 Silicon Avatar

So basically what Ubisoft is saying is that it's a lot easier for them to put crap out when there is excitement surrounding a new console and people will buy anything for it.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jul 22, 2012, 22:44 Silicon Avatar

Yeah. The cop cartoon is just wrong.

The last thing I want somebody doing is plopping a USB drive on my PC in the name of "optimizing" and "virus removal".

I'd like to see the fireworks go off every time this thing deletes something it wasn't supposed to.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2012, 19:39 Silicon Avatar

The battlemech cockpit is pretty cool.  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jul 21, 2012, 17:28 Silicon Avatar

Eh... I dunno. If you only get 1 shot at a patch and you mess it up knowing that it is going to cost you to fix it you'd think that patch would be bullet-proof.

It is not like they have to test against a million different pieces of hardware like you do on PC.

I'm confused as to why the testing process didn't catch the bug in the first place though. Isn't that what they are paid to do? Seems like the error is mutual and he should get to put his patch back up free.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 21, 2012, 10:47 Silicon Avatar

I could see building a DOS gaming PC (but not really, DOSBOX does a very good job) but not a legacy Windows gaming PC.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Screenshot
21. Re: Wasteland 2 Screenshot Jul 20, 2012, 20:05 Silicon Avatar

I like the screen but I hope they don't post another one without post-processing and particles. People can't read and they won't stop complaining about what was already explained.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jul 20, 2012, 12:52 Silicon Avatar

Video game developers want to tackle adult themes but they write adolescent stories and with undeveloped characters so they end up relying on tropes and stereotypes which are typically offensive.

Good writing directs the flow of conversation to a point so that people who "get it" can have a discussion. Bad writing just makes people mad. "A Clockwork Orange" used violence and rape as a means to convey a message that could be discussed (whether you agree with the message or not). Tomb Raider uses violence and rape as a means to seem grown up even though its still an action-hero adolescent fantasy.

So... It's not bad ideas - it's bad writing.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 20, 2012, 08:09 Silicon Avatar

That's fine. The publishing industry can wipe itself out with lawsuits and nobody will miss them.

News Comments > The WarZ Announced
25. Re: The WarZ Announced Jul 20, 2012, 08:04 Silicon Avatar

They want me to buy the game and pay to win?

I will only do one or the other. Also I just don't care about 99.9% of mmo's.

That's two strikes against them and I haven't even seen the game.

News Comments > Blizzard on Diablo III
47. Re: Blizzard on Diablo III Jul 19, 2012, 17:39 Silicon Avatar

I think gaming took a nosedive when developers figured out they could get people to play their games for an adrenaline fix or a gambling fix.

It's kind of messed up really.

News Comments > World War Z Game TMs
14. Re: World War Z Game TMs Jul 19, 2012, 15:15 Silicon Avatar

They sort of scratched my itch for a "The Road" game with the Lonesome Road DLC for Fallout:NV.

It's not anything like the book (at all) but in my play-through I kept having to scrounge for everything because I went in unprepared and the environment was filled with pretty mean enemies. I was definitely feeling the survival element of it.

That is really what I like out of post-apocalyptic/zombie games - the survival element.

News Comments > World War Z Game TMs
12. Re: World War Z Game TMs Jul 19, 2012, 09:37 Silicon Avatar

I want a survival horror based on the The Road.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2012, 11:27 Silicon Avatar

I don't understand publisher fascination with metacritic as a metric. Shouldn't sales be the main metric?

1533 Comments. 77 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo