Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1538 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Source 2 Engine Hint
17. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 12:39 Silicon Avatar

jimnms wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 10:46:
Does this mean that the Black Mesa Source Team is going to start over?

Dude. Nice.

Apply a fresh bandage to the burn.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Lords Announced
12. Re: Star Lords Announced Aug 4, 2012, 12:08 Silicon Avatar

I like the way you could glue ship parts together in Galciv 2 to make your own. I didn't like the way they handled combat though. I wanted the option of moving my own ships around sometimes, not have it predetermined by algorithms every time.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2012, 12:29 Silicon Avatar

Those street lamps melted because there was a dumpster fire nearby.  

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Aug 3, 2012, 12:27 Silicon Avatar

When you buy something for fifty bucks that you can't return and you get it home and find out that it's broken - you're going to be pretty mad.

Gamers are over the top with their stupid threats, but developers/publishers don't deserve a free pass either.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Aug 2, 2012, 12:18 Silicon Avatar

This guy's article really falls apart when he compares level design in shooters to map design in Skyrim.

The two just don't have the same requirements at all.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Kickstarter
11. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 12:03 Silicon Avatar

I remember when a 3dfx card was niche and all it did was play Quake.

I'd like to see somebody working on display glasses and I would try them out if they got them working up to a certain degree of polish.

It doesn't have to be perfect it just has to do something that's cool.

News Comments > The Old Republic F2P This Fall
28. Re: The Old Republic F2P This Fall Jul 31, 2012, 18:38 Silicon Avatar

Cabezone wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 18:26:
You think Bethesda is paying attention?

They'd be fools not to.

News Comments > Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor
44. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 18:07 Silicon Avatar

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 17:35:
What's funny is the Bethesda engine has actually been a ton more stable due to Skyrim patches, gets fantastic performance, great visuals, large open area's, modable, wonderful story line branch mechanics and then many treat it like complete trash. Their games in several ways are so far ahead then others... it's sort of amazing how many cannot see it.

I think Skyrim is solid. It's pretty and I hardly ever have technical problems with it. It could use more enemy diversity and better enemy AI but the engine seems pretty solid now. The only engine problem I've experienced (that hasn't been fixed by a patch) is z-fighting of mountain textures in the background of certain areas - and I think that is due to a mod.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 31, 2012, 12:56 Silicon Avatar

What a crap article.

The whole thing sounds like it was written by some manager who had never touched a computer other than to type out a new resume.

One part of it says that companies who weren't hip enough (whatever) could not hire the "most sought-after recent graduates". Huh? You mean like the recent grads who can't find jobs because people with more experience take them?

Who the hell goes down the interview list and says "Boy I sure would like to have a bunch of college newbs working in IT."?

Fortran and Cobol going away? Hah.

Everything on the "cloud"? HAH!

Plugging devices into machines willy-nilly without letting them get vetted by IT to check for security and usability problems? HAHAHA.

Whoever wrote this article is living in fantasy land. Sadly this is exactly the kind of article that jack-off managers read and use to convince their "superiors" that IT needs less money or people.

News Comments > GNU Guru: Linux Steam "Unethical"
23. Re: GNU Guru: Linux Steam Jul 31, 2012, 12:45 Silicon Avatar

Eh, he does have a point, sort of.

Look at it this way:

Valve is scared of the MS app store that's going to be built into Win 8. They're scared that eventually Steam will be made inconvenient or get locked out somehow. Win 8 is closed source and Valve can't change the OS so they move to Linux. On top of Linux they launch a ton of closed source games, perpetuating the problem they ran from (inability to change source code) on an OS that was built to avoid that very thing.

Stallman might sound crazy and look weird but he has a point.

Valve should give something significant back if they're going to build on top of open source software.

News Comments > Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor
16. Re: Bethesda S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Rumor Jul 31, 2012, 12:21 Silicon Avatar

It seems weird for Bethesda to publish another post-apocalyptic franchise. I'm sort of surprised they would do that.

I guess getting eaten up by Bethesda is better than being eaten up by EA. At least Bethesda is mod friendly - and when they buy properties they generally use them. EA buys stuff just to bury it.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
21. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 29, 2012, 23:54 Silicon Avatar

Dev wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 21:45:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 21:41:
I like my desktop but I like to actually build them from parts.

It's just a hobby ...snip...

3d printers? Can get them for around $500 now
Plus you could build robot parts with one.

That would definitely be cool too. I'm also sort of looking at desktop laser cutters. Those are pretty neat also, though I think they need to vent out a window.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
16. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 29, 2012, 21:41 Silicon Avatar

I like my desktop but I like to actually build them from parts.

It's just a hobby I have though - there's no true need to do that anymore. I guess I'll keep doing it until I decide to move on to hobby robotics or something like that. A couple thousand will buy a pretty cool robot now and I'll be thinking about that when it comes to rebuild the desktop in a few years.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
8. Re: Romero Jul 29, 2012, 21:34 Silicon Avatar

Snozzle wrote on Jul 29, 2012, 19:54:
Romero should speculate on the future of Romero instead.

Aww man, somebody beat me to it.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
16. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jul 28, 2012, 20:43 Silicon Avatar

Flatline wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 15:43:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 28, 2012, 14:30:
I'll probably get it eventually.

I "finished" with Skyrim a while back and am actually thinking about replaying New Vegas again with a bunch of mods. Then maybe I'll do Skyrim with some DLC.

I thought Oblivion had better guild quests. Skyrim seems sort of bland and short in hindsight.

I'm hip-deep in New Vegas again. Forgot what a fun game it is, though it's boring as hell until you get to the Strip proper, then it opens way up.

Yeah, I always go straight to the strip from Goodsprings. You can do it if you are careful and a little lucky.

http://twofoldsilence.diogenes-lamp.info/2012/05/jsawyeresp-v4.html

I am thinking of using J.E. Sawyer's mod for Fallout: NV this time. It sounds like it might be pretty cool.

Most of the bad reviews for Dawnguard seem to be people who got mad that it wasn't the size of Shivering Isles. So what I'm getting out of that is that people think it's too short, not that they think it's necessarily bad.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 2012, 20:49.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
2. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jul 28, 2012, 14:30 Silicon Avatar

I'll probably get it eventually.

I "finished" with Skyrim a while back and am actually thinking about replaying New Vegas again with a bunch of mods. Then maybe I'll do Skyrim with some DLC.

I thought Oblivion had better guild quests. Skyrim seems sort of bland and short in hindsight.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 28, 2012, 00:43 Silicon Avatar

I'm not sure that instantly accessible information has enriched my life that much.

I could probably do just as well with a feed of highlights delivered weekly. Maybe even bi-weekly.

I guess I'd still have to check e-mail every day. Everything else I read and check could easily wait when I think about it. I'm starting to wonder if that might actually be the way to go.

News Comments > etc., etc.
16. Re: etc., etc. Jul 27, 2012, 01:04 Silicon Avatar

This is the kind of crap you run into when 5000 people want to apply for the same job and HR doesn't feel like sorting through all the apps.

Fair enough I guess, but Metacritic is the best metric they could come up with? Really?

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September
25. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 27, 2012, 00:58 Silicon Avatar

PHJF wrote on Jul 26, 2012, 22:17:
It didn't "luck out". Infinity Engine was a brilliant adaptation (or port, really) of D&D to PC. Sure, Baldur's Gate was rough around the edges (and all those edges were brilliantly smoothed over via its sequel), but every year or so when I get a hankering for some classic cRPG I always start where Infinity started, with Baldur's Gate. I wish to god BioWare had stuck with what worked and kept making actual RPGs instead of these dumb fucking Mass Effects.

Did you try NWN? I thought it was a much better computer estimation of D&D. It even had a DM mode and users could make their own mods.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September
15. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition in September Jul 26, 2012, 22:08 Silicon Avatar

I always thought that BG lucked out and released at the right time rather than being all that awesome in and of itself. There are a lot of RPGs out there now, so I think I'll pass on the redo.

1538 Comments. 77 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo