Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1533 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On ESO Charges
30. Re: On ESO Charges Apr 7, 2014, 20:03 Silicon Avatar

The quest bugs I found in the beta were all fixed in the final. I didn't have any trouble over the weekend. The only thing I don't really like is the way they handled grouping, but maybe that'll get refined in a year or so (or whenever - it wasn't that big of a deal).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
6. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 31, 2014, 00:20 Silicon Avatar

I like big phones.

They can get however big they want up to the point at which it doesn't fit in my pocket comfortably. That's my only criteria. I'm not wearing a special belt thing or carrying a bag around.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
4. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 30, 2014, 19:02 Silicon Avatar

I wouldn't mind seeing big competition for Youtube. Sometimes it gets a little uppity.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 29, 2014, 16:19 Silicon Avatar

Netflix is already moving to HTML5 it's just a slow roll-out.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 29, 2014, 13:07 Silicon Avatar

I wonder what really happened at Mozilla...  

News Comments > Michael Abrash Joins Oculus
68. Re: Michael Abrash Joins Oculus Mar 29, 2014, 04:43 Silicon Avatar

Facebook is creepy because nobody can really avoid it. You might personally choose not to use it, but if you're out in public and a friend snaps a picture and uploads it with your name in the tag - now you're on Facebook. If the photo has geographic tags built in or your buddy writes in a location, now you're on Facebook and it knows where you live. It just spirals down from there. All it takes is one person in your social group to enthusiastically use FB for FB to start collecting data on you.

Facebook is creepy because US privacy laws are complete rubbish.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Early Access
6. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Early Access Mar 27, 2014, 20:57 Silicon Avatar

Well... For $99 bucks you get all the DLC they'll ever make for this title and if it's anything like Galciv 2 you'll probably get at least 3.

So, yeah, it really is for the hardcore fan.

I'd sort of like to know what combat looks like, but I can wait. I'm not that big on playing games early.

News Comments > Dead Space Free on Origin
1. Re: Dead Space Free on Origin Mar 27, 2014, 19:58 Silicon Avatar

Sure there's a catch - you have to register for Origin. I've managed to avoid that since it came out. I still don't feel like I've missed anything.

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
73. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 26, 2014, 00:27 Silicon Avatar

I think FB just bought a huge flop personally.

I know you guys want VR but if you have to wear anything on your face heavier than a pair of regular glasses you are running uphill with the mass market. Who wants to share one of those things either? They have to get sweaty after a while. Nasty.

When the dust is clear another company will have come along and hit everything square on the head. The race has just started and the competitors are just getting warmed up. By the time FB Rift fails some svelt developer with a gaming hardware background will have come along and outdone it anyway.

Carmack will only be there until he gets bored. He's rich and famous and generally well respected. He doesn't have to stick around anywhere he doesn't like.

The story here, IMO, is that VC guys are watching products on Kickstarter and plucking the freshest fruits. If you don't like spending your cash funding R&D and market development for some rich guy's future purchase, think twice about using Kickstarter. It's like loaning Sam Walton money to make Wal*Mart, only instead of company stock you want a can of beans.

News Comments > Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled
31. Re: Facebook Acquires Oculus, Oculus Rift Minecraft Cancelled Mar 25, 2014, 21:28 Silicon Avatar

John Carmack &#8207;@ID_AA_Carmack 2m

I have a deep respect for the technical scale that FB operates at. The cyberspace we want for VR will be at this scale.

That came off Carmack's Twitter. I guess he has hopes for an enormous online VR space.

Sounds cool, but who wants Facebook involved? Nobody.

The crappy dystopia where characters walked around in VR with a constant stream of ads in their face was supposed to be a warning, not a blueprint.

News Comments > Molyneux: Indie Revival "Won't Last"
2. Re: Molyneux: Indie Revival Mar 25, 2014, 09:43 Silicon Avatar

In the 80s you didn't have a global distribution system that anyone can use just by turning on their computer. No publisher necessary.

In the 80s you didn't have ready-to-use free (or almost free) toolsets with big engine companies practically begging you to use their technology. You don't even have to be a hard core programmer anymore to score some bucks in the indie scene.

I get what Peter is going for but he's sort of ignoring some big factors that will keep a constant flow of new indies coming in even as the old ones wander off to die in the fields of corporate America.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Trailer
3. Re: Galactic Civilizations III Trailer Mar 24, 2014, 21:32 Silicon Avatar

I'll be getting it. I was hoping to see a little more in the video but for an alpha the main map and starter UI may all they really have to show.

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Mar 21, 2014, 21:44 Silicon Avatar

I don't think so.

A corporate gumball says something he shouldn't have and people gave him death threats and wished cancer on his children?

The punishment doesn't fit the "crime".

All that's going to happen is that other developers will see that and never say anything to anyone ever. Then gamers will complain that nobody listens to them.

Seems like a stupid cycle to me. The 'net and gamer "culture" could do with some politeness. It didn't start out so nasty.

News Comments > DirectX 12 Announced
5. Re: DirectX 12 Announced Mar 20, 2014, 18:52 Silicon Avatar

Coming soon to 2018: games that actually make visible use of DX12.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
5. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Mar 16, 2014, 13:47 Silicon Avatar

I wish I ran a business where my job was to tell other businesses how to do my job for me.  

News Comments > PopCap Layoffs
5. Re: PopCap Layoffs Mar 13, 2014, 19:36 Silicon Avatar

To the surprise of none...  

News Comments > Star Trek Online for OS X Released
5. Re: Star Trek Online for OS X Released Mar 12, 2014, 22:51 Silicon Avatar

On the flip side you can make it all the way to maximum levels without buying anything. You won't have the highest DPS in combat but that isn't going to stop you from doing anything unless you want to PVP and STO is really not about the PVP.

News Comments > More Elder Scroll Online Invites
21. Re: More Elder Scroll Online Invites Mar 12, 2014, 21:08 Silicon Avatar

I liked it pretty well, but I'm past the hardcore viewpoint a lot of gamers cling to. That was just ruining my fun.

News Comments > Star Trek Online for OS X Released
1. Re: Star Trek Online for OS X Released Mar 11, 2014, 19:47 Silicon Avatar

Now that the ground combat is better it's actually pretty fun for a free to play game. It's not the most "Trek feeling" game out there, but you'd have to go back and play the ancient Interplay games for that.  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
4. Re: Sunday Mobilization Mar 9, 2014, 18:24 Silicon Avatar

Remind me never to borrow anybody's phone. Ever.  

1533 Comments. 77 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo