Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1785 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 19, 2015, 10:26 Silicon Avatar

AMD's new architecture is interesting I guess but what I really want to see is real-world benchmarks from 3rd party reviewers. I assume those will come out on day 1 of product release.

Currently I'm looking at 980s but I'm going to wait until winter to buy anything. By then there will be price drops and maybe Christmas bargains.

The 970 is closer to what I really wanted to pay but apparently there is some issue with it effectively having 3.5GB of video RAM instead of the advertised 4GB and fans are so mad I can't tell if it matters or not. Maybe the Fury Nano is what I will want. Nobody knows because all we have at the moment is a bunch of charts and speculation and no product on the shelves.

I will probably still be playing at 1080p for the next 2 years or so. I am just not that excited for 4k.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
11. Re: Morning Interviews Jun 18, 2015, 11:28 Silicon Avatar

I liked New Vegas (I beat it multiple times) but it was lacking in exploration. The main map routed you on a specific path (which I hate) and a lot of the buildings couldn't even be entered. It had a much better story than Fallout 3 though.

Fallout 3's map made me feel more immersed in the wasteland and I felt like I was constantly finding new areas and new skeletal vignettes. The story was mostly okay if I recall, but not as good as NV. The only reason I kept replaying NV was because the engine had enough improvements to make me like it more overall. I very much enjoyed hard-core mode, for instance.

I haven't found any of the villains of any of the games as compelling as The Master from FO1. That could be nostalgia though. That's the big thing with Fallout. Everyone has a favorite and everyone is nostalgic for some specific game.

I REALLY enjoy that FO4 is not afraid to use color. I think it better underscores the loss than brown / green. You can see nature trying to come back - but humans are absent and everything man built is destroyed. I like that contrast.

Edit: The skeletons in their automated environment suits from the OWB DLC were a really creepy concept and one of the best new monsters I thought came out of any DLC. As far as DLC goes, OWB is the best I've ever played.

This comment was edited on Jun 18, 2015, 11:37.

News Comments > AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced
53. Re: AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced Jun 17, 2015, 14:59 Silicon Avatar

Drayth wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 23:53:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 16, 2015, 20:45:
Those cards with 8GB on board - I wonder if they would help Skyrim cope with using a lot of texture mods at normal playable resolutions (not 4k).

Unfortunately Skyrim has a 4gig software limit. The game just doesn't make use of anything above that limit no matter what your card has.

Oh. I thought one of the patches undid that.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 17, 2015, 09:55 Silicon Avatar

So... Playstation's reaction to BC is "Well, they went their way and we went ours. They have a feature we don't and that lets consumers choose."

Uh..

Not the best spin, dude.

39. Re: AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced Jun 16, 2015, 20:45 Silicon Avatar

Those cards with 8GB on board - I wonder if they would help Skyrim cope with using a lot of texture mods at normal playable resolutions (not 4k).

19. Re: AMD HBM-based 300 Series Announced Jun 16, 2015, 18:09 Silicon Avatar

R9 Nano sounds interesting.

I'm still running a 6950 or something like that. I think they rebranded it wit a new name a year or so after I bought it. It still actually runs everything I play okay - that's why I never upgraded.

I'm kind of interested in upgrading by fall or winter though.

Maybe I should just build a new one entirely. Everything else is sort of old now too I guess.

>>> Asus is making a 27" IPS, 1440p Gsync.

That sounds interesting too.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Planned Changes
9. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Planned Changes Jun 15, 2015, 20:04 Silicon Avatar

I have 2 characters up to "beat" the main story line in the next week or so. I have 2 more that will "beat" it in about a month. They'll all be V1 or V2, which is good enough for me.

I'm not sure I'll keep subbing after that. I will use my points to buy something, call it good, and save the sub. money to put on FO4 in Nov.

It's a fun game and I got my $$ out of it but I'm probably about ready to move on and just play it casually for free. Nothing in this video really changed my mind about that.

News Comments > Fallout 4 in November
20. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 00:31 Silicon Avatar

Because after a few years ago it all started to look about the same to me.

Anyway, nerds are arguing about graphics so it's time to exit. Not wasting time on it.

16. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 15, 2015, 00:22 Silicon Avatar

What's embarrassing about it if I just don't care?

The things I do care about - those things were fulfilled. The trivial graphics stuff? Whatever. I am just not going to notice it. My days of caring about graphics ended when I got my first prescription lenses.

Different priorities, man. Different priorities.

Slick wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 00:14:
jesus, it's so embarrassing how people can get so excited for some things, and completely gloss over the abhorrent garbage.

watch THIS from the gameplay trailer

If i told you that this game came out in 2006, and not 2016, would you correct me?

The facial animations, low poly count, and low-rez textures are all LAST-GEN. they're reusing the same engine but "upgraded" with "volumetric light" and "physical based shaders".

notice how they didn't mention things like tesselation, SSAO (look at the baby in the crib), parralax occlusion mapping, particles, etc etc etc? cause these nifty inventions of the last 10 years aren't good enough for FO4 in 2016.

it's a 10 year old engine. you can keep putting a new coat of paint over an old and busted house, but this does not a new house make. 2 new features to an old and busted engine is a slap in the face to their fans. this looks like an xbox360 launch title.

meanwhile, the crafting, items, and building all looks VERY cool. but i just can't sit by while fanbois in a reality-distortion bubble say that THIS is a 2016 game.

give me a fucking break.

10. Re: Fallout 4 in November Jun 14, 2015, 23:46 Silicon Avatar

I liked everything I saw.

I was not expecting the house building function OR the layered / customizable armor and gun system. I was not expecting a jetpack or being able to get in a Vertibird either.

Did he say anything about mods? I missed the first few minutes. I sort of assumed they were in since it's an upgraded Creation engine.

It looks like pretty much everything I wanted and more so Collectible Pipboy edition right here day 1.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Jun 10, 2015, 19:01 Silicon Avatar

People let themselves be treated poorly because they want to work in the game industry. For every person that quits 3 other people want in so quitting does nothing.

What they need to do is show how crappy it can be to work for certain companies and then everyone will know to avoid them in the first place. People want to work in the game industry but they don't want to work in sweat shops where they know they're going to get fired in 6 months anyway.

Even EA started working on their image after they got rated as "worst company to work for" a couple years in a row. Who knows if that translated into better conditions but it did at least demonstrate that EA feels fear when people attack their image as an employer.

IMO that is how pros should hit them. Big companies don't like to be called out like that.

News Comments > Indie Developers on Steam Refunds
40. Re: Indie Developers on Steam Refunds Jun 8, 2015, 15:33 Silicon Avatar

The easy fix is letting companies set whether they want to allow refunds or not and then displaying that decision prominently to consumers when they go to buy.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
13. Re: Morning Screenshots Jun 4, 2015, 19:42 Silicon Avatar

I like all the colors.

Rumor has the release date set in Nov of this year.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer
118. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 19:37 Silicon Avatar

Vall Forran wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 18:02:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 17:03:
Didn't some mod add ambient occlusion for Skyrim? I remember trying and then turning it off because it slowed things down enough to be annoying. My video card is kind of old though.

What I want out of Fallout 4 is:

Stuttering fix
64bit exe that can use maximum RAM available
Mod support, of course
FO:NV style "hard core" option

That about covers it. If there are a lot of graphic options I can't turn on or if my card just isn't good enough anymore I will totally upgrade it for Fallout 4. I'm going to wait and see how performance is first though.

I'm sorry, but ambient occlusion is fucking expensive. What you *perceive* as AO, is actually just baked into the textures. AO is pretty much the last thing you do with a finished environment, so (pre-alpha) fuck off with that noise.

Not only did you not read my post properly (I wasn't the one complaining about graphics) but you don't know what you're talking about either.

You did amuse me, so points for that. The fuck off finish was weak though. Try harder.

112. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 17:03 Silicon Avatar

Didn't some mod add ambient occlusion for Skyrim? I remember trying and then turning it off because it slowed things down enough to be annoying. My video card is kind of old though.

What I want out of Fallout 4 is:

Stuttering fix
64bit exe that can use maximum RAM available
Mod support, of course
FO:NV style "hard core" option

That about covers it. If there are a lot of graphic options I can't turn on or if my card just isn't good enough anymore I will totally upgrade it for Fallout 4. I'm going to wait and see how performance is first though.

106. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 10:27 Silicon Avatar

shihonage wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 02:42:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 01:34:
You have a lot of passion. I'll give you that.

Fallout 2 had quest flags that lead to predefined sub-endings. You are still funneled into an ending. You can't buy a boat and float away to a new world, you can't be king of Bartertown. You can't even change the economy or pick most items up. Minecraft has more going on than that.

Fallout 2 is still a good game, but it's not an open one. The world only reacts to you in ways the programmers predicted.

You want *emergent behavior* and there is little to none in Fallout 2. There is little to none of that in most games because it's hard to do and results can be unpredictable enough that the game goes from being fun to not being fun in a hurry.

You're not entirely right, which makes a HUGE practical difference in this case.

What I am talking about is not _absolute freedom_, which is impossible, but having significantly more freedom than Bioware and Bethesda games allow.

Walls made not out of brick, but out of elastic resin. This means, although the amount of "game endings" is predetermined, the individual player experience is never quite the same. It is also a VERY different feeling, between running into brick and into resin.

Both games in Fallout series accomplished this through rich world reactivity on macro- and micro-levels, as well as "soft area passability control".

It's not just WHAT happens, it's HOW it happens. Multiple quest solutions, design that has no unkillable NPCs or hard-blocked story hubs (i.e. anti-Bioware), passing by a corridor when your PER dings you that there's a stimpak in a nearby locker...

As I said, look into that Fallout guide. It's hard to comprehensively describe otherwise, but it ends up being a rich experience which dithers into something that feels organic and creates more freedom in your day-to-day actions than most games do.

You're not limited to LARPing and choosing which trash can to loot next. The game rewards you for being clever where it actually matters - its WORLD (and I see that term differently than just terrain with critters on it, mind you).

When I talk about this with most people, they immediately fall into this dichotomy - either it's a "an impossible AI that writes a story on the fly", or it's "Dwarf Fortress".

I believe in something else, based on research, not just vague dreams. We can have a game which provides a very convincing illusion of a story that is shaped by YOU.

Oh, there will be limitations as to how far it can be stretched, because we don't HAVE an AI. However we don't need an AI, just some old algorithms from 1960s, and writing+world that are structured to maximize their benefits while hiding their drawbacks.

If you want things to be shaken up you should expect to contribute yourself. There are two engines out there right now you could be using for free - Unity and Unreal - to make prototypes.

Be shiny and we will witness it.

The project exists. You'll witness it on Steam when it moves into functional gameplay.

Now if someone gave me a cure for chronic dry eye, things would move a lot faster.

Fallout used branched story paths that closed and opened new branches as you went - just like Wasteland 2. Some variations were introduced with skill checks that relied on percentages instead of hard locks. Some variations were introduced with light simulation elements (explosives can open doors, etc.).

If you want a different example of that style of gameplay look at Ultima 6 or 7, which spent way more effort on environment than branching story paths but still enters the same style of gameplay.

There are a variety of MUDs that did something similar.

96. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 01:34 Silicon Avatar

shihonage wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 23:07:
ForgedReality wrote on Jun 3, 2015, 20:22:
The world is open, not the story. Jesus. Stop nitpicking.

Don't panic.

How does the fact that it's not a completely loose story (which would be incredibly fucking boring--you need some framework, or you don't have a game) make it not fun to play or somehow ruin your enjoyment of the game?

Because I grew out of games which pretend to have choice&consequence but really don't. I know such games are possible - Fallout1&2 paved the way - and refuse to settle for simplistic design which amounts to LARPing simulators.

I'd argue that it's your attitude that ruins your enjoyment. Holy fucking shit. Learn to smile more. >_<

I'd argue that I'm more educated than you on how complex Fallout1/2's world reactivity was. Those games were a promise of things to come, but instead the industry's been devolving at worst, in stalemate at best.

Look at Fallout1/2 walkthroughs. Like this one:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Nearly_Ultimate_Fallout_Guide

There's so much variability and world reactivity there, there are quests based on time behaviors, multiple solutions, world reactivity galore - it's just superior in every way to what we're being fed now.

The biggest mistake people make is thinking that world reactivity and C&C in an RPG is simply a series of IF-THEN statements.

In reality, while we have established, complex frameworks for rendering tree branches and fields of grass, nobody has pushed the art&science of non-linear story forward since 1997.

It doesn't require an "AI". That's a scapegoat. It doesn't require getting lost in a chess tree of infinite IF-THEN statements - that's a college students' approach.

What it does require is proper, functional framework.

And what happened to writing, proper lore-building? Fallout1/2 had pretty compact but functional/believable writing. Fallout 3 was a horrible mess. Mass Effect series is populated by Rain Men. All games have worse writing than the most mediocre TV show.

When was the last time you played a game and actually felt like you were doing what YOU want to do? I'd say, probably decades, or maybe never.

We've been so conditioned to follow the character's lead, follow the story's lead, reach the next checkpoint, "finish the story" that we've mentally become slaves to those expectations.

It's okay that you select something from the TWO choices your character has, and then he SAYS a completely different thing from what you just chose.

It's okay, man. Relax. Leave your brain at the door. Games are for brainless idiots.

Well, I refuse. I expect MORE - from story, world-building, non-linearity, reactivity.

These are THE qualities that the first 2 Fallouts took a big step toward, and Fallout 3 has abandoned due to technical ineptness, poor writing, and general ignorance.

There WILL be more, dammit. Even if I have to do it myself.

You have a lot of passion. I'll give you that.

Fallout 2 had quest flags that lead to predefined sub-endings. You are still funneled into an ending. You can't buy a boat and float away to a new world, you can't be king of Bartertown. You can't even change the economy or pick most items up. Minecraft has more going on than that.

Fallout 2 is still a good game, but it's not an open one. The world only reacts to you in ways the programmers predicted.

You want *emergent behavior* and there is little to none in Fallout 2. There is little to none of that in most games because it's hard to do and results can be unpredictable enough that the game goes from being fun to not being fun in a hurry.

If you want things to be shaken up you should expect to contribute yourself. There are two engines out there right now you could be using for free - Unity and Unreal - to make prototypes.

Be shiny and we will witness it.

77. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 3, 2015, 19:38 Silicon Avatar

I just read the Fallout 4 wiki now.

There is no use in reading anything else because of all the whiners.

Fandoms used to be fun. Now they're a total drag.

News Comments > Fallout Countdown
16. Re: Fallout Countdown Jun 2, 2015, 14:42 Silicon Avatar

I'd play a Fallout MMO too, but I expect this will be a single player game.

Zenimax Online seems to handle the MMO stuff. If they were doing a Fallout MMO it'd probably come out of their site.

News Comments > Fallout Countdown
13. Re: Fallout Countdown Jun 2, 2015, 14:38 Silicon Avatar

I'm in for the collector's special ultra edition.

I loves me some Fallout.

1785 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo