Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1587 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > John Riccitiello Leaving EA
51. Re: John Riccitiello Leaving EA Mar 18, 2013, 20:01 Silicon Avatar

EA actually has a lot of good properties that they are sitting on. I wish they would get an awesome CEO and turn things around.

I'm sure they'll just hire some other uninspired crap-head though.

Oh well. Maybe if they finally go under someone else can buy their IP and make good games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
3. Re: Saturday Consolidation Mar 16, 2013, 11:20 Silicon Avatar

I'll look at Wii U when Zelda and some of the other games I want come out. Maybe by then the price will be down some too.

I'm guessing a lot of people are in the same boat.

News Comments > More on Offline SimCity
14. Re: More on Offline SimCity Mar 13, 2013, 00:00 Silicon Avatar

I skipped this. I just pretty much skip EA titles automatically now.

I always wanted follow-ups to SimLife. I even emailed Maxis (the real one - before EA bought them) about a sequel but the guy who emailed me back said that it didn't sell enough copies of the original to do a sequel.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm
37. Re: Ships Ahoy - StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Mar 12, 2013, 14:41 Silicon Avatar

RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 14:31:
Fati wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 14:24:
RollinThundr wrote on Mar 12, 2013, 13:20:
There's a difference between sending a scout or 2, and sending 15 starter troops all aimed directly at your resource gatherers. Sure sometimes I micro quick enough to counter it, but every game is just about the same unless playing with friends. It's the mentality of SC players apparently that every game needs to hurry up and end. At least that's been my experience with SC2.
I don't think RTS is for you. You need to learn how to defend early pressure. Once you realize that the players who pressure early put themselves at a significant economic disadvantage, you'll see that all you need to do is successfully defend, counter-attack and it's gg.

Right, but what if I want to enjoy the game I paid for? What if I'd like to go up the tech tree and not have the game end in 10 minutes? I can do this just fine in every other RTS that is MP. Blizzard titles? Hell you're lucky if you don't have shit in your base 2 and a half minutes in.

You'll have to play with friends and agree not to rush.

That's the case with a lot of RTS though.

You can go to Youtube and memorize a few build lists that help vs. most people, but at that point you might as well be an AI since you're just following a script anyhow. That's how a lot of people play though.

To me that gets boring, so I probably won't bother with the expansion.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update
22. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 10, 2013, 15:50 Silicon Avatar

saluk wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 15:36:
briktal wrote on Mar 10, 2013, 11:26:
I'm still not sure why this game is supposed to be good. It's a second big RPG being worked on by a developer that's made 1 decent game, 1 bad game, and 1 failed and cancelled game in 10 years.

It's a bit of a leap of faith - more of a hope that it's good than any kind of "oh yeah, torment is going to kick butt!" The decent game they made was actually an rpg - none of their other titles have been. Moreover, the people involved have actually made great games, and there are people on this project who worked on the first torment.

It also helps a lot that the design of torment and wasteland 2 are very clear and have been successful designs in the past. Sequels are harder to do badly, especially if you follow the formula and don't try and change genre mid-series (*cough* ME *cough*).

So all in all, leap of faith, yes, but not blind misplaced optimism.

Yes.

Besides, if they really botch it, nobody is going to fund their future Kickstarters. It's literally the place where people vote with their wallet. There's no sugar-daddy publisher to sweep in and let them churn out another crap title if the first one bombs.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update
13. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstart Update Mar 10, 2013, 00:58 Silicon Avatar

Nice. The more people pile on the more game content I get at my cheap-o entry level pledge.

News Comments > EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game
6. Re: EA Adds SimCity Servers; Promises Free Game Mar 9, 2013, 14:09 Silicon Avatar

EAs war chest must be enormous. Every time they screw a big franchise or kill off a good company they always seem to have plenty of money left to do it again.

And people keep buying their stuff! I guess they get what they wanted otherwise they wouldn't keep buying it. It's not like this is EA's first debacle..

News Comments > On Sale
16. Re: On Sale Mar 9, 2013, 13:13 Silicon Avatar

That was not the Sword of the Stars I was expecting when I clicked...

News Comments > Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues
72. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 9, 2013, 12:38 Silicon Avatar

EricFate wrote on Mar 9, 2013, 03:09:
I wish I still had enough faith in his vision to want to contribute, but I feel like he lost his way after Ultima 7.

Lots of ideas with no restraint is a recipe for a Moleynoux-style train wreck. Add in an internet only, persistent world type environment and it interests me even less.

Without a Raph Koster type on board, I can't even justify forking over enough to reach even the lowest tier.

Oh geez. ANYBODY but Raph Koster.

68. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 9, 2013, 01:55 Silicon Avatar

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 18:16:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 18:11:
I just want to see the return of the headless.

Bridge Trolls or GTFO, LB!

Also, there better be two moons (Let's call them Fammel and Trelucca!), and a reagent that I can only harvest on full moon for both. (which was awesome once computers became so fast that you could just hold down the {H}arvest key and the game would harvest 987 billion times while the moons were in alignment. )

I need to replay U4 again. Better go find that update mod.

Creston

It all really makes me want to play U5, U6 and U7 again. Those three were my favorites.

I can't tell you how many times I walked back and forth on bridges waiting to get troll encounters.

It'd be sort of cool if the wisps came back too.

67. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 9, 2013, 01:53 Silicon Avatar

Julio wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 21:13:
I'm going to pass on this one.

1) Richard Garriott has had quite a few flops recently, this looks like another one
2) Heresy I know, but I never liked any Ultima game
3) I'm not giving a guy who's got a gazillion dollars more money
4) The screenshots look like they are from 1990

Just to clear this up for others, the screenshots look like they're from 1990 because they're showing a pre-alpha build. What you see is either art made by non-artists or stock models. They said as much in one of the interviews or Twitter posts.

News Comments > StarDrive Pre-Purchases Get Beta Access
4. Re: StarDrive Pre-Purchases Get Beta Access Mar 9, 2013, 01:10 Silicon Avatar

Kind of bad timing. I already spent my cash on two big Kickstarters.  

61. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 18:11 Silicon Avatar

I just want to see the return of the headless.  

59. Re: Questions and Concerns... Mar 8, 2013, 17:54 Silicon Avatar

JediPunisher wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 14:28:
"Our team is built around a core of industry experts" Ok, then who is on the design team?

"We are using powerful, proven tools" ... Like what? What game engine are you using?

They're using Unity. I saw that in an interview somewhere. I don't know about the rest of it.

38. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 14:13 Silicon Avatar

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:42:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:12:
There's no need to hate just because he's rich. If you're going to hate at least bag on U8 or U9. Those were crap.

RG is a nice guy, but that has little to do with funding his endeavors. I don't know that anyone is hating, I think it's legitimate question to ask "You can easily afford to publish this yourself. Why do you need Kickstarter money?"

Creston

I guess it's just annoying because the question is answered at the bottom of the Kickstarter.

RG put his money in to make the demo.

From there it can be presumed that a Kickstarter is a good way for him to gauge interest. If there aren't enough Ultima fans left to collectively put a million into finishing up his game then he shouldn't put more of his money into it either. It seems kosher to me.

But I've been playing Ultima since U3 so I'm an easy sell.

Enough about that.

Since this is "Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues" and Lord British is going to be a character in it, I wonder what his set up is going to be?

The map sort of looks like Sosaria but the title indicates that whatever land this is had a past with virtues that are now gone. Is the Shroud of the Avatar a religious token like the Shroud of Turin? Was there an Avatar before, but now he's dead? How did LB get there?

I'm more interesting in nerding about that than anything to be honest.

29. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 13:12 Silicon Avatar

Garriot's a nerd's nerd and pretty nice to boot.

I met him at E3 a couple times.

There's no need to hate just because he's rich. If you're going to hate at least bag on U8 or U9. Those were crap.

25. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 12:57 Silicon Avatar

http://sota.ultimacodex.com/interview-with-richard-garriott/

This interview explains a little more about what Shroud of the Avatar is going for.

21. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 12:44 Silicon Avatar

RaZ0r! wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:44:
LB says in the live stream that the game is being designed as a classic numeral Ultima release first, and then if you want you can add friends in as multiplayer.

The preview of moving on the classic overhead map, and then going into a town was pretty cool stuff.

I'm in

That's what I heard too. It sounds more like a regular single-player Ultima game with optional multiplayer benefits.

I'm in for $25. If it gets more awesome I'll bump it up more.

I wish there was a $60-$75 tier that included a cloth map and box.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 10:31 Silicon Avatar

I'm kind of surprised game reviews are still even a thing.

I wait around for the buzz to come up from actual players before I put any money out anymore*. This helped me avoid Diablo 3 (and is pointing me in the direction of PoE). It helped me avoid ME3 too. Now it's helping me avoid Sim City.

Who needs a "pro" reviewer when anyone can look at screen shots and figure out the general consensus of real players via 3rd party forums like Blues?

* Caveat: I have different rules for Kickstarter.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM
19. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 10:25 Silicon Avatar

Prez wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 10:06:
In for $50. The pedigree of the developers involved is enough for me regardless of what it's called or in what universe its based.

This. Besides the universe they made up actually sounds really cool.

1587 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo