Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1497 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
14. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 14, 2013, 00:54 Silicon Avatar

More resolution is fine with me. I suspect consumer adoption will be slow though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
46. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 20:21 Silicon Avatar

Fox News is is talking about deluded narcissists? Oh it's just too easy.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Tease?
66. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 10, 2013, 00:37 Silicon Avatar

True that. FONV stands on its own. I am still playing it now and I can't say that for FO3.

I just realized I never played through Broken Steel though. I bought it and got distracted.

64. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 23:39 Silicon Avatar

Like it or not, Bethesda brought the title back from the dead. All Fallout had going for it before FO3 was a spiteful fan base and memories.

39. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 14:51 Silicon Avatar

I liked both games for different reasons and can't wait for FO4. When I say I liked, I mean - I put hundreds of hours into them.

I thought FO3 did a better job making the setting interesting. There were more places to explore and I felt more like a wastelander. In NV I felt more like a pioneer. FO3's story was lacking and the initial attempt at the ending was just a bad joke. DLC and patches made that much better.

I thought NV did better with the narrative, but it had drawbacks. There were invisible walls everywhere. The map was designed to force you into certain paths. You could get around that with some luck, but it was still a pain and immersion breaking. I thought NV had the most memorable DLC - Old World Blues - and I liked that several of the DLC sort of linked together to form a longer narrative.

I hope what I get out of FO4 is the best of NV and FO3 mashed together. I also sort of want to see the android city that was mentioned in FO3 and never realized with any official DLC.

News Comments > Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod
10. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod Jan 8, 2013, 14:13 Silicon Avatar

I've had this mod installed for ages and I love it. It's pretty much all flavor text (and some gags). If you want quest mods there are plenty out there.  

News Comments > Steam Sale Encore This Weekend
30. Re: Steam Sale Encore This Weekend Jan 5, 2013, 01:40 Silicon Avatar

If you get New Vegas go here and at least get the bugfix mods.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/top/

It's a good game. I actually still play it. I liked all the DLC but if you can only get one get Old World Blues.

News Comments > Steam Sale Encore This Weekend
23. Re: Steam Sale Encore This Weekend Jan 4, 2013, 21:32 Silicon Avatar

I think I'm still playing games from the last sale. I finished Limbo and Legend of Grimrock. Now I'm working on Amnesia.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
22. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 3, 2013, 19:43 Silicon Avatar

The air of entitlement extends far beyond the gaming community.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
39. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 17:14 Silicon Avatar

Bodolza wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 13:36:
Atomic wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 13:28:
I never used the Start menu much anyway, so maybe to me, the new Start screen is just not that big a deal and easy to ignore.

Or you could have upgraded to Win7 instead, then you wouldn't have to ignore it at all, and you'd have the option of having a usable Start menu.

Does Classic Shell restore Aero? I like my transparent windows.

It has an Aero mode for the start menu. I don't know about the rest of the windows.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 2, 2013, 13:21 Silicon Avatar

Soo... For twenty bucks a month a person living in a mountain town could see a 1/4 of the movies they could get on Netflix for double the cost.

Stale popcorn and noisy children included?

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2013, 13:15 Silicon Avatar

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Use that. It even has an option to make the OS boot straight to the desktop - and you can turn off the hot corners and charms. IOW, it looks and behaves exactly like Win 7.

If they had made that an option out of the box 80% of people would probably shut up about Win 8.

Ballmer's an idiot. I just wanted to add that in there.

News Comments > Valve on VR Latency
6. Re: Valve on VR Latency Jan 2, 2013, 13:11 Silicon Avatar

All that "crapware" makes the games easier and faster to develop.

The cost is shoved on to us in terms of having to buy better hardware or suffer slowdowns. The benefit is that we get games on a regular basis that look and behave a lot better than they did 15 years ago.

Take all that out and you add to development time, which either adds cost or cuts features.

News Comments > New Year's Eve Metaverse
3. Re: New Year's Eve Metaverse Dec 31, 2012, 12:43 Silicon Avatar

I played Farmville long enough to make a desolate field with a wasteland shack in the far corner. Farmville Fallout style. Now that would have been a game.

News Comments > Project GODUS Prototype Footage
18. Re: Project GODUS Prototype Footage Dec 18, 2012, 20:08 Silicon Avatar

Can't decide if want. I loved Populous 2, but Molyneux's last few games didn't hit a chord.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
16. Re: Sunday Mobilization Dec 16, 2012, 21:26 Silicon Avatar

I want a full color tablet/reader/whatever that's about 9x12 for less than $250. When that comes out I'll consider replacing my real books. Maybe. I mean, real books take up a lot of room but there's still something nice about them that readers don't have.

News Comments > Op Ed
38. Re: Op Ed Dec 16, 2012, 00:03 Silicon Avatar

Just to throw this out there, I'd love to have another real Populous game. That thing was awesome. I'm just not that interested in Molyneux doing it. His later titles weren't that great and he sort of comes across as someone who has big ideas but lacks the discipline to do them (or manage a small group) himself.

I'd rather a dedicated fan (and competent developer) start a Kickstarter for a Populous clone with modern graphics.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Dec 15, 2012, 14:13 Silicon Avatar

I dunno. I thought Star Trek Online was pretty fun. It might not have been the best Star Trek game ever or the best MMO ever but it had its moments and some of the missions were good - and improvements are still being made. I still crank it up sometimes and am thinking about doing so again for the Christmas event.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 14, 2012, 12:04 Silicon Avatar

The savings automation brings should be put back into the social net, not into some CEO's pocket.

That is the problem we've had forever though. The wealthy accumulate wealth and do everything they can to avoid paying. Google was just in the news for using tax havens to avoid paying taxes. They were even proud of it. That's the crap that needs to get sorted out That's the real discussion to have.

News Comments > Free Duke Nukem 3D Kicks Off GOG.com Sale
34. Re: Free Duke Nukem 3D Kicks Off GOG.com Sale Dec 13, 2012, 00:33 Silicon Avatar

I started to gripe about GOG using DOSBox and that I could do the same thing myself for free. Then I realized that I'm far to lazy for that, I don't want to have to buy a USB floppy drive, set anything up, remember how to drivers high, or find the stupid code wheel for Star Control.

Good game, GOG. Good game.

1497 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo