Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1849 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 31, 2015, 14:09 Silicon Avatar

That's too bad about Virtualbox.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Trek Online Turns Five
4. Re: Star Trek Online Turns Five Jan 31, 2015, 14:07 Silicon Avatar

I have a max level character in that game.

It's pretty fun I think. You can solo everything if you want. Some of the fan made missions are good so check those out too.

It's much better than when it came out. I think it's at least worth a download.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 30, 2015, 15:24 Silicon Avatar

In the past year or so I've noticed that Amazon doesn't really always have the best price anymore. Stuff I used to get cheap is now available at local retailers for prices that are so similar I'd just as soon buy local.

The same thing happened to New Egg. I don't see the great deals like I used to. They're okay deals, but nothing to write home about.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 30, 2015, 15:20 Silicon Avatar

I'm at 1080p and have about as much interest in 4k or 8k as I did in 3D, which was zero.

I guess when I want another TV in ten years or whatever if it's 16k then fine.

It's like when cars upgrade every year and I ignore it every year because I just don't need another car right now.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 30, 2015, 15:13 Silicon Avatar

jdreyer wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 14:05:
Is there another analog similar to this? Say, I go to a football game, record it, and put my own commentary on it? Should the teams involved also get a cut of that? I'm trying to wrap my brain around if or how much the game maker "owns" a Let's Play.

I'm pretty sure if you go to a pro or college game with a video camera and try to do your own broadcast you are going to get shut down.

If you watch a movie and talk over it with your own humorous commentary you'll get a nastygram from the MPAA.

If you have a restaurant and you play music in it the recording association wants you to pay a special license for that.

Just look at the hissy fit the author's guild threw when Amazon made Kindles that had speech synthesis to "read" the novels. The author's guild wanted a cut because they said that hurt their sales of books on CD.

Let's Plays are now big enough that publishers are thinking about getting a slice of the pie. You can bet the big $ game publishing industry is watching to see what the reaction is from fans.

If the big audience Let's Players are smart they'll band together and dump Nintendo titles to the floor before this ever gets a foothold.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 30, 2015, 13:18 Silicon Avatar

I've been waiting for some company to want performance revenue (or whatever you want to call it) from Youtube Let's Plays.

It's kind of a sad state of gaming when watching somebody play the game is more entertaining than actually playing the game for a lot of titles.

News Comments > Five Nights at Freddy's 3 Announced
5. Re: Five Nights at Freddy's 3 Announced Jan 26, 2015, 21:14 Silicon Avatar

The guy has a good thing going and is smart to strike while the iron is hot.  

News Comments > DayZ Early Access Sells 3M
1. Re: DayZ Early Access Sells 3M Jan 24, 2015, 14:10 Silicon Avatar

I've seen a couple let's play on Youtube that make this look kind of fun, but when I go to any forum everyone is yelling about it, so I just keep waiting..  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 23, 2015, 23:05 Silicon Avatar

I generally only crowdfund stuff when it's almost a sure thing and the price is way less than I can get it at a store.

It's not something I'm going to do for every game and there are some developers I will never Kickstart. Some companies have enough money already.

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Jan 22, 2015, 20:08 Silicon Avatar

Cool. I got the Galciv 3 beta on a Steam sale. I haven't tried it yet. I was just kind of waiting around for the full game to come out and figured I might as well get it on sale.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Dropping Subscriptions in March
38. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Dropping Subscriptions in March Jan 21, 2015, 20:09 Silicon Avatar

I thought it was pretty fun. I've been playing on and off since it came out. I solo most everything.

I have actually learned more about the lore of tamriel races from ESO than I have from the single player games. In ESO you can see a race's culture in action. In the single player games it's mostly buried in books that I never actually get around to reading.

I don't mind that it's going F2P though.

News Comments > MS: Windows 10 "Best" OS Ever Created for Gamers
67. Re: MS: Windows 10 Jan 16, 2015, 20:27 Silicon Avatar

I'm having a hard time getting excited. Even when they announce DirectX improvements it seems like it takes years before any games actually take advantage of their unique features (or video cards can even run them smoothly).

News Comments > Avernum 2: Crystal Souls Released
6. Re: Avernum 2: Crystal Souls Released Jan 15, 2015, 19:38 Silicon Avatar

Say what you want about Vogel. His little company has outlived a lot of game companies and designers who had a lot more budget and way more flash.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 15, 2015, 19:27 Silicon Avatar

RadioShack probably would have done okay if it had gone back to its roots as as electronics hobbyist store instead of trying to be an overpriced cabling, outdated crapola, and junky cell phone store.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 13, 2015, 20:21 Silicon Avatar

I didn't get the first SR game but I'm going to try this one. Hard to lose for fifteen bucks.  

News Comments > Avernum 2: Crystal Souls This Week
5. Re: Avernum 2: Crystal Souls This Week Jan 12, 2015, 19:45 Silicon Avatar

He has been chugging along for decades now. Obviously this works for him.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Destocking Fuels F2P Theories
13. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Destocking Fuels F2P Theories Jan 9, 2015, 20:03 Silicon Avatar

I actually liked it.

I learned more of the Elder Scrolls lore playing ESO than I have from any of the stand-alone games.

If it goes F2P that's fine though. I solo pretty much of all the content anyhow so nothing changes for me except a slight bump in savings every month.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
6. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 9, 2015, 20:01 Silicon Avatar

Standards are often standards for a reason, no matter what "designers" think.

News Comments > $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced
21. Re: $500 Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition Announced Jan 6, 2015, 14:30 Silicon Avatar

I have to have an add-in sound card due to my weird motherboard and video combination but in the future I'll just be using the onboard audio.

Creative never updates drivers so if you buy something from them and run into a driver problem, too bad for you.

News Comments > Five Nights at Freddy's 3 Teaser?
1. Re: Five Nights at Freddy's 3 Teaser? Jan 4, 2015, 13:23 Silicon Avatar

I haven't played this series, but it's fun to watch other people play on Youtube.

It's basically "jump scare: the game" but if I were 13-14 again or just looking for a quick fright I'd be all over it.

1849 Comments. 93 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo