Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1495 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues
61. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 18:11 Silicon Avatar

I just want to see the return of the headless.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Questions and Concerns... Mar 8, 2013, 17:54 Silicon Avatar

JediPunisher wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 14:28:
"Our team is built around a core of industry experts" Ok, then who is on the design team?

"We are using powerful, proven tools" ... Like what? What game engine are you using?

They're using Unity. I saw that in an interview somewhere. I don't know about the rest of it.

38. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 14:13 Silicon Avatar

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:42:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 13:12:
There's no need to hate just because he's rich. If you're going to hate at least bag on U8 or U9. Those were crap.

RG is a nice guy, but that has little to do with funding his endeavors. I don't know that anyone is hating, I think it's legitimate question to ask "You can easily afford to publish this yourself. Why do you need Kickstarter money?"

Creston

I guess it's just annoying because the question is answered at the bottom of the Kickstarter.

RG put his money in to make the demo.

From there it can be presumed that a Kickstarter is a good way for him to gauge interest. If there aren't enough Ultima fans left to collectively put a million into finishing up his game then he shouldn't put more of his money into it either. It seems kosher to me.

But I've been playing Ultima since U3 so I'm an easy sell.

Enough about that.

Since this is "Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues" and Lord British is going to be a character in it, I wonder what his set up is going to be?

The map sort of looks like Sosaria but the title indicates that whatever land this is had a past with virtues that are now gone. Is the Shroud of the Avatar a religious token like the Shroud of Turin? Was there an Avatar before, but now he's dead? How did LB get there?

I'm more interesting in nerding about that than anything to be honest.

29. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 13:12 Silicon Avatar

Garriot's a nerd's nerd and pretty nice to boot.

I met him at E3 a couple times.

There's no need to hate just because he's rich. If you're going to hate at least bag on U8 or U9. Those were crap.

25. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 12:57 Silicon Avatar

http://sota.ultimacodex.com/interview-with-richard-garriott/

This interview explains a little more about what Shroud of the Avatar is going for.

21. Re: Lord British Announces Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Mar 8, 2013, 12:44 Silicon Avatar

RaZ0r! wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 11:44:
LB says in the live stream that the game is being designed as a classic numeral Ultima release first, and then if you want you can add friends in as multiplayer.

The preview of moving on the classic overhead map, and then going into a town was pretty cool stuff.

I'm in

That's what I heard too. It sounds more like a regular single-player Ultima game with optional multiplayer benefits.

I'm in for $25. If it gets more awesome I'll bump it up more.

I wish there was a $60-$75 tier that included a cloth map and box.

News Comments > Op Ed
11. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2013, 10:31 Silicon Avatar

I'm kind of surprised game reviews are still even a thing.

I wait around for the buzz to come up from actual players before I put any money out anymore*. This helped me avoid Diablo 3 (and is pointing me in the direction of PoE). It helped me avoid ME3 too. Now it's helping me avoid Sim City.

Who needs a "pro" reviewer when anyone can look at screen shots and figure out the general consensus of real players via 3rd party forums like Blues?

* Caveat: I have different rules for Kickstarter.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM
19. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Passes $2MM Mar 8, 2013, 10:25 Silicon Avatar

Prez wrote on Mar 8, 2013, 10:06:
In for $50. The pedigree of the developers involved is enough for me regardless of what it's called or in what universe its based.

This. Besides the universe they made up actually sounds really cool.

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Soars; Stretch Goals in Play
16. Re: Torment Kickstarter Soars; Stretch Goals in Play Mar 7, 2013, 12:56 Silicon Avatar

Well they already hit two of the stretch goals and look well on track for the third (better music).

I never played the first Planescape game so I don't have to worry about this one not living up to the original.

News Comments > EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment
6. Re: EA Clarifies All Games Microtransaction Comment Mar 6, 2013, 22:12 Silicon Avatar

There's a name for this - I forget what it's called now.. Basically you run some crap idea to the press, wait for a reaction from the public, and if it isn't favorable you say it was a misunderstanding all along.

There's a variant where you run your really crap idea out to the press with a backup in line, wait for the bad reaction, and run your (still) crap secondary idea out as an improvement. Then you wait for everyone to talk about how much you listen to their needs.

Standard PR BS 101... It's in every politician's playbook too.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live
129. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter Live Mar 6, 2013, 18:56 Silicon Avatar

I've funded 4 or 5 things now, including this one. I've kind of picked safe bets though - big name developers who had a lot of experience delivering products.

News Comments > Soren Johnson at Stardock
20. Re: Soren Johnson at Stardock Mar 5, 2013, 22:39 Silicon Avatar

http://www.stardrivegame.com/

Is anyone else anticipating that one? I thought it looked interesting.

News Comments > Soren Johnson at Stardock
2. Re: Soren Johnson at Stardock Mar 4, 2013, 21:03 Silicon Avatar

Galactic Civilizations 2 was pretty good, but it's been dead a long time now and I've seen other 4X games coming out of the indie market that look just as good.

Stardock better have awesome up its sleeve if it wants to entice me.

News Comments > Lord British's Countdown
34. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 4, 2013, 20:16 Silicon Avatar

Creston wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 22:46:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 20:50:
Well..

Origin wasn't known for stable products or delivering on time. I don't know what the deal was there, but something was going wrong even before EA came along. EA just made it worse.

I'm sorry, what? Which unstable products did they launch, exactly? Because I can remember precisely one, which was Ultima 7 (which had pretty bad bugs in it until the first two patches. This was in the funny days before you could really download such things off the internet. I remember that those patches were sent to me on 3.5" discs.)

Other than that, though, all their games ran pretty much just fine. Never had an issue with System Shock, or Underworld, or Bioforge, or Wing Commander, or Privateer.

The only other game that gave me grief was Ultima 8. It crashed on me literally every 30, 40 seconds, it was so aggravating. I sent faxes back and forth to Origin's HQ trying to figure it out, until finally they had me send over my BIOS settings. Two days later one of their developers called me (from the US), and spent an hour on the phone with me getting my BIOS settings fixed. While we were waiting for my machine to boot, I had a great time talking to him about the games he'd worked on, and such. And to his credit, he fixed the issue; I never had a single crash after that anymore.

I miss the old Origin...

Creston

Realistically, now, fifteen plus years later I can't remember all that well. I just remember having a hell of a time getting U7 to run.

News Comments > Skyrim Beta Patch
12. Re: Skyrim Beta Patch Mar 4, 2013, 14:50 Silicon Avatar

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 14:39:
That is a pretty fucking massive patch. Awesome.

However, unless I'm being stupid, resetting a skill just seems weird? You go from having destruction 100 to destruction 15. Have fun killing that Legendary level Giant with your novice level flame spell...?

Creston

Yeah, I don't get it either. There must be more to it than what the notes say.

30. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 3, 2013, 20:50 Silicon Avatar

Well..

Origin wasn't known for stable products or delivering on time. I don't know what the deal was there, but something was going wrong even before EA came along. EA just made it worse.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 3, 2013, 20:45 Silicon Avatar

FB is tired. Everyone is just waiting for the next thing. Maybe instagram - maybe tumblr. Who cares? It's all free and throw-away crap and everybody migrates from service to service as soon as the next "big deal" gets enough users and press to care about.  

22. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 3, 2013, 02:26 Silicon Avatar

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 2, 2013, 21:45:
My question is how many people made the Ultima games? Anyone remember Brad McQuaid and 'The Vision'? One person alone was NEVER responsible for the classic's we love, and the name 'Lord British' just doesn't carry the weight it use to.

As for EA and Ultima, they have tried at least 3 times to bring Ultima back (Ultima Online 2, Ultima X and one other). It's dead Jim.

The earliest Ultima games were programmed by Garriot. He brought some more people on for later games. I believe Dr. Cat was one of them. Dennis Loubet was doing art for them at the time (great manual and cover illustrations). It was a good team, but it's all broken up now.

Garriot could easily fund an Ultima spiritual successor - and even get some or all of the old team back with a Kickstarter, but it seems like lately all he does is hop on the latest fad. I guess that is what is so disappointing. At a time when other old teams are coming back via Kickstarter to make new games, Garriot is still farting around with his head up his butt.

13. Re: Lord British's Countdown Mar 2, 2013, 20:33 Silicon Avatar

I have REALLY fond memories of Ultima. If he is going to resurrect that with a new name then I will throw money at him.

If he's going to keep going with on the social game kick and have multiplayer and a bunch of crap then he gets zero from me. The last few games he's made in that vein have all been big flops, making me question whether he has game design chops anymore at all.

Seriously, how much genius does it take to just give fans what they want? The Wasteland 2 guys figured that out and scored pretty big.

News Comments > On Diablo III's Future
10. Re: On Diablo III's Future Mar 1, 2013, 23:31 Silicon Avatar

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me that the game is good so I can finally buy it.  

1495 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo