Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1846 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.Com on Customer Service
1. Re: GOG.Com on Customer Service Mar 25, 2015, 18:03 Silicon Avatar

This should really be the standard return policy for every software vendor.

I don't think most people will use the return policy as a rental service (and it should be easy to see who is doing that and ban them anyway).

Good for GOG. Maybe I'll throw my purchases over there instead of Steam. I lose nothing hedging my bets..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Mar 25, 2015, 14:54 Silicon Avatar

The last big arcade I went to had full-motion mech pods and it was a blast. The downside is they wanted like 4 or 5 bucks a go and it lasted maybe 5 minutes.

That was ages ago. Now the only arcade games I see are retro / forgotten cabinets that nobody ever really bothered to unplug.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
4. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Mar 21, 2015, 14:31 Silicon Avatar

I guess the apps probably didn't violate any rule so they went through. Maybe the rules got revised to close the loop on what is basically a scam.

If the app store was full of viruses the media would be screaming and Apple fans would be the ones screaming loudest, followed by security experts.

There doesn't seem like much to pick on here.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 20, 2015, 21:07 Silicon Avatar

It'll probably just end up being used on Windows 10 mobile stuff - cells and tablets. If you want to hack those there'll be a million alternatives.

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Mar 19, 2015, 19:33 Silicon Avatar

Skylines looks like it might be the SimCity everyone wanted.  

News Comments > Newell on Half-Life
27. Re: Newell on Half-Life Mar 18, 2015, 11:16 Silicon Avatar

HL3 has taken so long to come out that I've become indifferent to it. If it comes out, fine. If it doesn't, whatever.

I don't really care what secret sauce Valve is coy about working on now because they've kind of become a bore about it.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Mandatory Subscriptions End
7. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Mandatory Subscriptions End Mar 17, 2015, 11:11 Silicon Avatar

I do.

I like it and I'm still playing it.

I just wish I had more time to actually play.

News Comments > StarDrive 2 Trailer
1. Re: StarDrive 2 Trailer Mar 13, 2015, 20:23 Silicon Avatar

Looks pretty cool, but I seem to remember something about the first one that made me not buy it. Like users were saying the guy never really finished it or something.

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Mar 13, 2015, 20:17 Silicon Avatar

You can get all the good Ultimas for like $6 or so.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
4. Re: Evening Interviews Mar 12, 2015, 22:41 Silicon Avatar

Yeah, really. Wasteland 2 is supposed to come up with a toolset and it was built in Unity. I haven't heard them gripe about Unity any.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 11, 2015, 19:25 Silicon Avatar

I didn't even know there was a Kickstarter. I probably would have paid in. I remember Crystal Quest.

I'm really surprised it hasn't been cloned a million times already though. It is not that complicated of a game.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 10, 2015, 00:34 Silicon Avatar

It was always all bullshit.

The goal was to have fun and if people are having fun with LOL leagues good for them.

That's all. It's just about fun and different things people do to have fun.

If you're mad that the genre you like to have fun in has changed so much that it's not recognizable anymore, take that anger to the indie pool so somebody can pick up on it and remake the genre with old school roots. Somebody would probably love to make a living supporting some niche like that - if you're willing to pay.

News Comments > TITAN X GPU Unveiled
15. Re: TITAN X GPU Unveiled Mar 4, 2015, 22:33 Silicon Avatar

Honestly I won't be looking at graphics card or PC rig updates until close to Fallout 4 release time. That's the only game I'd bother updating for over the next couple of years.  

News Comments > TITAN X GPU Unveiled
8. Re: TITAN X GPU Unveiled Mar 4, 2015, 19:45 Silicon Avatar

AMD's next GPU should be called Attack on Titan.

News Comments > Unity 5 Released
9. Re: Unity 5 Released Mar 3, 2015, 14:33 Silicon Avatar

By the time you're finished enough with a game to need the $75/mo Unity pro version the $75 per month fee would just be an expense write-off for your business (in a long list of other expenses).

Not a big deal.

News Comments > Skyrim Mod Size Limit to End
9. Re: Skyrim Mod Size Limit to End Mar 2, 2015, 21:59 Silicon Avatar

The micro-stuttering issue is something I don't get anymore, but it might be because of some mod. I remembered it bugged me in FO3 and NV both.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Announcement at E3?
39. Re: Fallout 4 Announcement at E3? Mar 2, 2015, 19:45 Silicon Avatar

Even if UE does allow modding all the modders already know Creation Engine. Lose 4 or 5 prolific modders (because they don't want to learn everything all over again) and the whole scene decays.

Besides that, I thought the Skyrim engine was pretty good. It rarely crashes on me and once you get some texture mods going it looks pretty sweet.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Free
37. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Free Mar 2, 2015, 19:42 Silicon Avatar

Beamer wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 14:53:
Axis wrote on Mar 2, 2015, 14:42:
Ahh the sweet sound of capitalism and competition - thanks Unity!

Unity has nothing to do with this. Unity has made absolutely no dent in AAA games, which Unreal owns. It's made a big dent in mobile games, which UE4 isn't yet optimized for.

Disagree. Unity has a bunch of indie developers (and some pro developers) who are using it on their Kickstarters. Today's indie might be tomorrow's AAA.

I can guess that Epic is looking at that and not wanting to be marginalized out of future titles or have the deck stacked against them because all the hot developers of 2020 cut their teeth on Unity and have some fondness for it.

I think it's a big potshot at Unity myself.

News Comments > Skyrim Mod Size Limit to End
1. Re: Skyrim Mod Size Limit to End Mar 2, 2015, 19:37 Silicon Avatar

Interesting.

I wonder if this is something they developed for FO4 and decided to test it out on Skyrim..

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming
23. Re: Wasteland 2 Visual Upgrade Coming Feb 28, 2015, 14:18 Silicon Avatar

Gun range is rarely realistic so all you end up with in most games (as far as sniper rifles go) is a regular gun that does a ton of damage on crit.

If you tried to model a sniper rifle in a lot of modern turn based games you'd just be shooting NPCs from 7 screens away and then watching their dumb AI try to get to you. Alternatively you would be the one taking cover from 7 screens away trying to get to your assailant.

It kind of sounds like the sort of fun that would get boring and aggravating really fast.

1846 Comments. 93 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo