Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1721 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse May 5, 2015, 09:45 Silicon Avatar

Eventually cable companies will figure out that the internet is a video service. I haven't had cable TV in years. Netflix, Crunchyroll, and Youtube carry more stuff than I can ever finish watching.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. May 4, 2015, 19:00 Silicon Avatar

It was probably a personal project he used to teach himself some programming techniques.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Mandatory Subscriptions End
65. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Mandatory Subscriptions End May 1, 2015, 12:06 Silicon Avatar

InBlack wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 03:45:
Have any of you ESO players played through Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim?

This is not an Elder Scrolls game. It's an MMO skinner box. A reskin of a favorite setting raped in the typical MMO fashion. Sorry to rain on your parade but to me gameplay has to go hand in hand with story and atmosphere, I can't play an MMO such as this one and pretend to be in Tamriel. The whole experience is frustrating and completely breaks any and all immersion. Sorry, but this is not an Elder Scrolls MMO done right.

I beat Oblivion and Skyrim multiple times. I played Morrowind but didn't beat it. I own and played the original game - Arena too.

I like ESO.

YMMV.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. is. May 1, 2015, 09:51 Silicon Avatar

Now soccer moms can feel okay about having solar on the rooftop without that icky mechanical closet.

Tesla Motors: Toys for people who smell their own farts.

Ok, whatever though. Whatever makes people use more solar is okay. I'm just tired of Apple-look consumer stuff coming out of CA that is billed as some great invention when it's really yet another incremental step with some plastic shell stuck on. Don't mind me.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 30, 2015, 11:25 Silicon Avatar

Encryption with a back door isn't encryption. You might as well have nothing.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2015, 10:13 Silicon Avatar

Pretty sure NASA creating warp bubbles will be reported by a better authority than some site that also advertises that I can fix my vision with eyeball yoga.

News Comments > Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds
86. Re: Steam Ending Paid Mods; Providing Refunds Apr 28, 2015, 10:06 Silicon Avatar

InBlack wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 08:29:
Slick wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 08:24:
OpticNerve wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 07:58:
Slick wrote on Apr 28, 2015, 07:36:
creating art isn't a job?
Wow, if you think that's true, then you might be in the wrong business/hobby. If you draw for a company or commission, then yes it is a job.

You create art to improve yourself and your skills. It's not a job. It's an investment.

I don't even know where to begin... there are no artisans in the world apparently. there are only hobbiests who create "true" art, anyone receiving a paycheque are just hucksters i suppose?. And i was the one being accused of living in a dystopia...

No true artist creates art just to get paid, the lucky ones get to sell some of it. The really lucky ones can live from their art. The very vast majority eats crud. Most do it for reasons other than money, and those that do it just for the money are more often than not untalanted hacks. Ask any artist if you dont believe me.

I have "asked an artist" and you are full of it. Professional artists want to be paid. It can take a hundred hours to make a picture. You think pro artists don't want a return on that time? Wha??

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed Apr 27, 2015, 16:44 Silicon Avatar

HorrorScope wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 13:08:
Flatline wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 12:38:
I think part of the big problem here is that Valve, in an effort to jumpstart the marketplace, decided to go back and move pre-existing mods behind the paywall.

To me that is the biggest mess. The other part of "it used to be this way" that one doesn't cut it with me, especially on a technical board. That is how it goes. You are looking at only the negatives but not looking at potential positives. However doing this mid-stream with a released game is ultra messy.

On the other hand it's quite smart if they want to get all the kinks worked out for when Fallout 4 arrives.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Apr 27, 2015, 12:58 Silicon Avatar

Too bad about Silent Hills. It looked cool.

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Apr 27, 2015, 10:00 Silicon Avatar

Make indie games instead of modding. You'd have your own shot at financial success (good luck), you won't have to use somebody else's content as a crutch, you won't have to share your profit with anybody unless you choose to, and if you actually finish a game you will end up with a set of very useful, marketable skills.

You could also try to sell assets on the Unreal or Unity stores.

Alternatively you can learn a toolset that's specific to Bethesda, give your profit to Steam and Bethesda, and try to sell things to people who obviously already hate paying.

Easy choice IMO.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Apr 27, 2015, 02:17 Silicon Avatar

It's dumb enough to have made Forbes now. This popcorn funfest needs a name - maybe Modgate or something.

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Apr 25, 2015, 18:41 Silicon Avatar

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 18:07:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 17:55:

No, really.

Gaming could completely disappear and I could just as easily do something else. In a proper perspective, for people who have multiple hobbies and interests, this mod thing just does not matter.
It's obviously is a big deal, otherwise you wouldn't be commenting right? After all, who cares that someone is trying to make money off something that's been effectively free because "people enjoy doing it." In a proper perspective meaning modders like me, this is a clusterfuck.

NOTHING is stopping you from modding Skyrim right now. Nothing.

And indeed, who does care if people try to make money off something that was free before? It will either work because people are willing to pay or it won't because people are unwilling to pay.

I'm just here with popcorn dude. All the middle-finger ascii art and crap that's posting on steam right now shows me the maturity level of gamers. If you're a modder, why even tend them as an audience? They want something for nothing and now they're whining that it's gone. That's not a fan. That's a baby bird.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Apr 25, 2015, 17:55 Silicon Avatar

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 14:39:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 13:58:
It's just not that big of a deal. Nerds have turned a simple thing into a big deal - like they always do - and in 3 months this will be blown over.

Uh-huh. It actually is a big deal, it was a big deal in the early 00's when people talked about this too.

You can keep believing that all you want, but that doesn't mean it's true. People also said gamergate would be over in a week, it's been 8 months now.

No, really.

Gaming could completely disappear and I could just as easily do something else. In a proper perspective, for people who have multiple hobbies and interests, this mod thing just does not matter.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Apr 25, 2015, 13:58 Silicon Avatar

It's just not that big of a deal. Nerds have turned a simple thing into a big deal - like they always do - and in 3 months this will be blown over.

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
116. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 24, 2015, 09:51 Silicon Avatar

Mostly what I see in the comments is a lot of extremely entitled infantile gamers posting ASCII middle fingers.

Wahhh wahh somebody took my lolli.

That is literally what I'm seeing right now.

KilrathiAce wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 14:33:
This is a disgrace, some mods that only add water and rain effects stuff done for long time for free by many modders now charge $5 for an item ( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/comments/429374670 )^ I Strongly suggest you check out all the comments under that items today.... there been over 300 comments there in last hour by people brutally angry at this and its very negative reaction. I dont blame them.

BUT MY QUESTION IS:

Does this new "open market" for mod makers to sell their mods on skyrim workshop mean that Bethesda still gets revenue from each mod sale and if so how much is it? How much does the mod creator actually take from each sale % wise? I have been digging through all the pages and could not find any information, workshop about page does list that mod maker only get 25% revenue from each mod sale but thats possibly the "old" market system for workshop? ( http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=72850 )

Supposedly the revenue sharing is in effect so:

EXAMPLE:

so lets say u manage to make $1000 on ur mod, $100 goes away to valve charges for transfering money and and setting up way to send money to ur bank etc fees etc then 75% of that goes to valve/bethesda and u get rest... so about what? 200$ thats assuming you dont use some service that does more fees, oh and then there are taxes especially if u are in usa....

Bethesda found a great way to make money on previously free mods.

71. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 19:48 Silicon Avatar

What could happen is that long time mod makers will see how crappy and petty fans really are and then leave.

Spend 40 hours making a mod for free? Everyone loves you.

Spend 40 hours making a mod that costs $3? You're Satan and an abomination to the community. Creative people should never get paid - they live on "love" and work for "exposure".

Honestly, the more I read fan whining on Steam the more I like the idea that the Piper has come to get paid.

News Comments > Mad Max Trailer
20. Re: Mad Max Trailer Apr 23, 2015, 14:06 Silicon Avatar

This looks way, way cooler and more involved and detailed than I had ever hoped for a movie tie-in game.

11. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 14:01 Silicon Avatar

Seems okay.

Of course the mod authors also subject themselves to having to support their creation, the fickleness of fans, business tax, marketing, tightwads, etc. It isn't going to be as cool as some mod authors probably think.

Only a handful will get a name for making anything cool and the rest will languish with basically no fan base.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III in May
5. Re: Galactic Civilizations III in May Apr 22, 2015, 23:49 Silicon Avatar

I bought this cheap when it was Kickstarted or whatever. We'll see.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 21, 2015, 13:42 Silicon Avatar

Beelzebud wrote on Apr 21, 2015, 12:16:
Linus was an asshole before anyone knew who Steve Ballmer was. His attitude is why the Linux kernel is as stable and secure as it is. He doesn't let crap in to the kernel, and he does not suffer fools. If you can't handle that, then Linux kernel development isn't for you.

Yeah, sure. That's same attitude that drives people out of open source.

It's a crappy attitude. Software can be properly engineered without it. It's a type of locker-room machismo BS that way too many nerds and geeks buy into.

1721 Comments. 87 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo