Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1849 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 13, 2015, 10:21 Silicon Avatar

My 3DFX card is ready to go.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Apr 12, 2015, 15:30 Silicon Avatar

Do people really want to wear watches again?

I find they just get scratched up over time - and since the Apple watch is also a piece of technology that runs software it has the additional downside of being obsolete in a few years.

Of course, I said the ipod wasn't a big deal either so what do I know?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2015, 20:42 Silicon Avatar

I've eaten 97% cacao fair trade raw vegan organic helper monkey picked chocolate. At that level of cacao it tastes like tree bark.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Apr 11, 2015, 12:31 Silicon Avatar

Investigation of H1B layoffs? Well, hey - they're only like 15 years late.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 10, 2015, 16:37 Silicon Avatar

WaltC wrote on Apr 10, 2015, 15:14:
The government has appropriated far too much of the people's land for itself--which means the people in the country can't do anything but look at it, and only under certain conditions. It's gratifying to see a small percentage of it returned to the people so they can make decisions on how to use it. The environmentalists have just about parched California dry with their "no new reservoir" policy of the last few decades--and the current administration would prefer that oil cost $5 a gallon as opposed to building new refineries/pipelines--even though the US population has doubled over the last 30 years. If there's a policy guaranteed to take the country backwards, you can be sure the Democrats are out front leading the way back--I often think they'd prefer we all went back to caves, lived by fire, and hunted mammoths and fish with stone spears...;)

California is just the canary in the coal mine. Look up and read about the depletion of the Ogallala aquifer.

Opening up public lands so rich people can erect McMansions and conglomerates can operate strip mines and deforest a bunch of areas isn't going to help anything. Why would you even side with those people?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 9, 2015, 10:34 Silicon Avatar

Pixel art guy's article is an uncomfortable essay about how he laments the disuse of tiny pixel-art icons because that was as far as he decided to go with his art skill.

He chose not to learn how to use a tablet and Photoshop because he wanted to use that time some other way.

That does not make the golden age of icons 32x32. :p

News Comments > Star Control Reboot FAQ
10. Re: Star Control Reboot FAQ Apr 8, 2015, 13:52 Silicon Avatar

It's disappointing they can't use the races. They kind of made the whole game. If Gal Civ is any indication of the quality of writing staff they have at Stardock then I don't have much hope for their reboot. They come up with some pretty vanilla stock aliens that don't have much personality..

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 6, 2015, 14:02 Silicon Avatar

I see the US ranked low or mediocre for a lot of things - health care, quality of life, education, etc. Why would it be any different for broadband?

It shouldn't be a shock. I still know people who can't even get broadband in their area - and they can barely get cell transmission.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Turns One
19. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Turns One Apr 6, 2015, 02:32 Silicon Avatar

wtf_man wrote on Apr 5, 2015, 14:14:
Quinn wrote on Apr 5, 2015, 13:31:
I'm one of the ESO fans. There's *something* to the game that just has me enjoying it so very, very much. I feel a strong connection with my character, running around doing quests while finding treasure chests and runes for enchantment makes exploring worth it and enjoyable. Every single quest is actually a quest-chain, with choices and consequences and an interesting story. I just love the gamw, and if you haven't played it, don't judge it. And no, it's no Skyrim. And who expected as much should get looked at.

Ditto.

Same. I have 4 level 40 characters now. It's pretty fun - for me anyway.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Apr 5, 2015, 13:10 Silicon Avatar

If a few more companies go the route of Nintendo Angry Joe is only going to be playing indie games.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 3, 2015, 15:59 Silicon Avatar

Cutter wrote on Apr 3, 2015, 12:35:
So why doesn't that deaf group provide the subtitles in that case? Great comment on the absurdity of this....

There is no way that every business and facility can appease every disability.

Imagine if people went around suing because every text doesn't come with braille. Can people start suing governments because street signs are too high up and don't have braille?

Where does it end? That should be part of the modern discussion.

No, slippery slope fallacies should not be part of any modern discussion.

14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 31, 2015, 19:48 Silicon Avatar

dubfanatic wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 18:43:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 31, 2015, 18:35:
Go look up Theodore Bilbo and some of his books if you want to see what kind of trash the "laws based on religious belief" crowd attracts in the US.

You do realize that RFRA is a modern conception and was largely championed by liberals seeking to protect Native American peyote rituals, right? Now that they realize the consequences of religious freedom for all, even KKKhristans, they're trying to retcon it. Kind of like how today's progressives are totally not at all like the ones who used to advocate for eugenics and prohibition.

Somebody makes a law that's decent - then some asshole comes along and takes it to an extreme. Then it gets fixed by means of public pressure.

What was your point? Oh, you didn't have one.

9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 31, 2015, 18:35 Silicon Avatar

Go look up Theodore Bilbo and some of his books if you want to see what kind of trash the "laws based on religious belief" crowd attracts in the US.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning
22. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 30, 2015, 22:19 Silicon Avatar

Yeah it'll get patched. I'm just gonna wait a little.

I started in right away with Wasteland 2 and ran into some bugs. Then they released some huge patches. I might start over, but I'm also leaning towards finishing up too. The bug I ran into kind of made me waste half a town. I am probably going to get a bad ending now. LOL.

I don't mind bugs so much though. I only get angry when they never get fixed.

I bet these outfits do their own QA. They run the game so many times that they can't see the mistakes anymore. It's just a thing that happens. You have to have fresh eyes and if you're on a budget then your fresh eyes may be the players'.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning
7. Re: Pillars of Eternity Bug Warning Mar 30, 2015, 19:49 Silicon Avatar

I think I'm just going to wait a couple months and let everyone else bug test this. By then it should be good to roll.  

News Comments > Star Citizen at $77M
41. Re: Star Citizen at $77M Mar 30, 2015, 16:20 Silicon Avatar

ForgedReality wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 15:08:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 13:50:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 12:45:
The fact that this is so astronomically funded just serves to highlight one of humanity's greatest fallacies: more money = better product.

Well, yeah, but if you personally want the game and drop $40 after hearing about it constantly, you just added to the pool. It's not like you can sit back as a customer and go "Well they've got enough. I'll just wait for my free copy..."

(quotes are messed up because I edited them just for the one snippet)

Well, you edited them incorrectly. Lulz.

But for realsies though. There are lots of much less expensive games in this genre right now, and they're far more playable than this trash. You'd think they could outline a skeleton of a game before they go adding bells and whistles.

In addition to Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous, there are (to name a few):

Limit Theory
Enemy Starfighter
No Man's Sky
Rodina
Eve: Valkyrie
X: Rebirth

Yeah, that's true.

I haven't backed any of them, but I might check some of them out after they're ready.

(And I did totally edit the quotes wrong - I was in a hurry)

News Comments > Star Citizen at $77M
34. Re: Star Citizen at $77M Mar 30, 2015, 13:50 Silicon Avatar

Slashman wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 12:57:
ForgedReality wrote on Mar 30, 2015, 12:45:
The fact that this is so astronomically funded just serves to highlight one of humanity's greatest fallacies: more money = better product.

Well, yeah, but if you personally want the game and drop $40 after hearing about it constantly, you just added to the pool. It's not like you can sit back as a customer and go "Well they've got enough. I'll just wait for my free copy..."

(quotes are messed up because I edited them just for the one snippet)

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
12. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Mar 29, 2015, 22:20 Silicon Avatar

I had to clean out a PC that had a bunch of mice living in it one time. Hanta virus was on my mind the whole time.  

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
7. Re: Saturday Interviews Mar 28, 2015, 22:10 Silicon Avatar

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 19:43:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 19:40:
Gaming media corrupt? But the SJW's are telling us we are all imagining it.. ;p
Hah no doubt. You catch the thread on /. about elen pao? Lot of swj backlash going on, looks like people in the tech sector are also having enough of this BS.

Silicon Avatar wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 14:33:
EA worker on EA website says working at EA is great?
To be fair, one of my friends works for Ubisoft, and through the grapevine EA isn't as bad as it was even 15 years ago especially when you look at their history with things like the vancouver site. It looks like they actually are trying to fix their image.

Are they? I've been ignoring them forever but lately I'm hearing kind of good or at least decent things so I could believe it.

News Comments > Saturday Interviews
1. Re: Saturday Interviews Mar 28, 2015, 14:33 Silicon Avatar

EA worker on EA website says working at EA is great?

1849 Comments. 93 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo