Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1574 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Survivor 2299: "Nuclear winter has come"
1. Re: Survivor 2299: Dec 3, 2013, 10:16 Silicon Avatar

Interesting.

I think FO4 is going to be filthy with androids.

I mean, assuming this isn't the world's best hoax on gaming.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 2, 2013, 22:42 Silicon Avatar

Cutter wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 19:11:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 2, 2013, 17:00:
I think retail built up BF and now Cyber Monday with some awesome deals early on to establish the reputation and now they've pulled back. A lot of the "deals" I saw weren't mind-blowing and with places like Wal*Mart who get special (crap) versions of electronics made just for their store you have to watch where you shop too.

Half the people I saw in stores were price-checking against Amazon on their smart phones too. I want to feel sorry for retail but at the same time the writing has been on the wall for them to adapt for 15 years now.

Yeah, but it's a double edged sword. Because a lot of larger ticket items you'll never buy without seeing them live first. And then dealing with warranties, returns, etc. And with price matching in most cases I'd still prefer to buy that sort of stuff brick and mortar.

Yeah, there's that.

Shoes and clothes are stuff I still don't like to buy online. There is too much variation in fit between styles and brands and I don't really like to go into a real store, try stuff on, and then buy it online cheaper. I know people who do that but to me that's too far. I figure if I'm using somebody's store to demo and maybe using a salesman's time then I should buy it from that store.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 2, 2013, 17:00 Silicon Avatar

I think retail built up BF and now Cyber Monday with some awesome deals early on to establish the reputation and now they've pulled back. A lot of the "deals" I saw weren't mind-blowing and with places like Wal*Mart who get special (crap) versions of electronics made just for their store you have to watch where you shop too.

Half the people I saw in stores were price-checking against Amazon on their smart phones too. I want to feel sorry for retail but at the same time the writing has been on the wall for them to adapt for 15 years now.

News Comments > John Carmack Leaves id Software
40. Re: John Carmack Leaves id Software Nov 23, 2013, 00:27 Silicon Avatar

I got the impression these past few years that Carmack was getting bored.

When he started iD there were big gains to be made in the graphics field. Now the gains are more incremental. I imagine things like rocketry and OR are more appealing because they have challenges left to be solved that also (potentially) have big gains.

News Comments > Fallout 4(?) "Nuclear Winter" Teased
30. Re: Fallout 4(?) Nov 22, 2013, 22:22 Silicon Avatar

I hope this is legitimate. I really am eager for another Fallout game. I've got to beat a couple more DLC in NV (again). By the time I finish that Wasteland 2 should be out and by the time I'm doing toying with that, maybe Fallout 4 will be out.

News Comments > Black Mesa Goes Commercial
25. Re: Black Mesa Goes Commercial Nov 20, 2013, 14:32 Silicon Avatar

Ryan Lange wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 13:30:
Cutter wrote on Nov 20, 2013, 10:53:
Whilst super for them, it means sweet FA to me and many others who really wanted to see HL3 instead of a remake of a 15 year old game we can all play blindfolded made with an outdated engine - and they're charging for it. Knock yourself out however.

I'm not here frequently, but I don't think I've ever seen you say anything positive that wasn't immediately overshadowed by a really negative comment. You're just a big bag of hate, aren't you?

I imagine him yelling like the Angry Video Game Nerd and it gets a lot funnier.

Buffalo diarrhea shit-cake ASS.

ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Asssssssss far as the mod goes, it's cool that they might get some money out of it but I will probably pass. I played so much Half Life and HL2 back when they were popular that I still sort of feel burned out, even with new graphics.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 20, 2013, 00:07 Silicon Avatar

I'm trying to figure out why Toys R Us is selling USB flash drives...  

News Comments > Fallout 4 TMed
65. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 18, 2013, 14:37 Silicon Avatar

I'm ok with Gamebryo. I like what it turned into when it got upgraded for Skyrim. With mods, Skyrim is gorgeous.

I just want to be able to run a Fallout game without having to load a bunch of weird side hacks to get all my texture packs going.

I really enjoy the sandbox style Bethesda has. Between that and mods their games last me years where some other games barely last 2 months.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2013, 13:04 Silicon Avatar

Rigs wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 12:07:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Nov 17, 2013, 11:53:
Maybe that survivor 2299 site isn't fake after all.

thesurvivor2299.com

Is there supposed to be a 24-day countdown on that site?

=-Rigs-=

Yes. I think it needs Java script to run it.

The morse code is a date that puts it around the time of the VGAs.

There is debate on the Bethesda forums as to whether it is real or not. With the increased Fallout merchandising on the Bethesda store and now the Trademark I am hoping it's real.

2. Re: Fallout 4 TMed Nov 17, 2013, 11:53 Silicon Avatar

Maybe that survivor 2299 site isn't fake after all.

thesurvivor2299.com

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 16, 2013, 11:08 Silicon Avatar

MS is huge and it's hard to gauge Ballmer's success on one thing. He did okay on some things, bombed on others, and his monkey antics and temper were huge minuses. I am hoping they get a real tech. person in next time, but they'll probably get some crap CEO instead.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
13. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 7, 2013, 14:55 Silicon Avatar

Galciv 3 is something I'm pretty excited for. I was happy to read they had already been working on it 2 years.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
7. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 6, 2013, 21:51 Silicon Avatar

Pigeon wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 19:19:
nin wrote on Nov 6, 2013, 19:06:
It's funny that google has no problem with wanting to see your info, but when someone does that to them, WELL, this is an outrage!!!!

You agreed to the terms and conditions of google's data collection policies when you made the choice to exist. Perhaps you shouldn't have been so hasty to click agree when you allowed yourself to be birthed.

Seriously though, the only way anything will get changed with the NSA is if enough large corporations get angry over it. Whether it changes for the better for regular folk is kind of a toss up IMO

Yeah, that and you agree to become part of the human centiPad.

Nobody reads that stuff. Everybody knows (or should know) what they are vaguely agreeing to when they sign up for Google Mail, but buried in the EULA is pretty heinous implications that only come to light when Google screws up or there's a leak highlighting some nasty practice.

The issue is that the US has crap privacy laws that allows both the government and corporations to screw you whether you agree to it or not.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
7. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Nov 3, 2013, 22:24 Silicon Avatar

Heh. Now that the big tech firms are getting squeezed in the wallet overseas they care about privacy.

News Comments > Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans
20. Re: Oculus Rift 2014 Release Plans Nov 2, 2013, 18:01 Silicon Avatar

I can see this in my future, but maybe version 2 when most of the kinks are worked out and there is some really killer game for it.

I'm pretty enthusiastic about the idea overall.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Nov 2, 2013, 13:06 Silicon Avatar

There have been children zombies/monsters in games since forever. They are often a centerpiece in horror movies too.

They are supposed to be unsettling. That's the point.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Nov 2, 2013, 13:02 Silicon Avatar

Nice. You can't go anywhere or do use any technology without some asshole advertiser tracking you.

Google has always been self-serving - they just cover it up with a thin shellac of PR.

News Comments > On Sale
14. Re: On Sale Oct 20, 2013, 01:08 Silicon Avatar

Cool. I didn't get this when it came out but for $10 I will totally try it out.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 29, 2013, 12:26 Silicon Avatar

I don't see the point of a gov't. shutdown.

National embarrassment?

The ultimate tantrum?

Rich people can't get their way?

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Sep 29, 2013, 12:18 Silicon Avatar

Getting rid of that cancel button is stupid. Some UI designer is into consistency over usability.  

1574 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo