Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1849 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Apr 25, 2015, 17:55 Silicon Avatar

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 14:39:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Apr 25, 2015, 13:58:
It's just not that big of a deal. Nerds have turned a simple thing into a big deal - like they always do - and in 3 months this will be blown over.

Uh-huh. It actually is a big deal, it was a big deal in the early 00's when people talked about this too.

You can keep believing that all you want, but that doesn't mean it's true. People also said gamergate would be over in a week, it's been 8 months now.

No, really.

Gaming could completely disappear and I could just as easily do something else. In a proper perspective, for people who have multiple hobbies and interests, this mod thing just does not matter.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Apr 25, 2015, 13:58 Silicon Avatar

It's just not that big of a deal. Nerds have turned a simple thing into a big deal - like they always do - and in 3 months this will be blown over.

News Comments > Steam Launches Paid Mod Support
116. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 24, 2015, 09:51 Silicon Avatar

Mostly what I see in the comments is a lot of extremely entitled infantile gamers posting ASCII middle fingers.

Wahhh wahh somebody took my lolli.

That is literally what I'm seeing right now.

KilrathiAce wrote on Apr 23, 2015, 14:33:
This is a disgrace, some mods that only add water and rain effects stuff done for long time for free by many modders now charge $5 for an item ( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/comments/429374670 )^ I Strongly suggest you check out all the comments under that items today.... there been over 300 comments there in last hour by people brutally angry at this and its very negative reaction. I dont blame them.

BUT MY QUESTION IS:

Does this new "open market" for mod makers to sell their mods on skyrim workshop mean that Bethesda still gets revenue from each mod sale and if so how much is it? How much does the mod creator actually take from each sale % wise? I have been digging through all the pages and could not find any information, workshop about page does list that mod maker only get 25% revenue from each mod sale but thats possibly the "old" market system for workshop? ( http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/about/?appid=72850 )

Supposedly the revenue sharing is in effect so:

EXAMPLE:

so lets say u manage to make $1000 on ur mod, $100 goes away to valve charges for transfering money and and setting up way to send money to ur bank etc fees etc then 75% of that goes to valve/bethesda and u get rest... so about what? 200$ thats assuming you dont use some service that does more fees, oh and then there are taxes especially if u are in usa....

Bethesda found a great way to make money on previously free mods.

71. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 19:48 Silicon Avatar

What could happen is that long time mod makers will see how crappy and petty fans really are and then leave.

Spend 40 hours making a mod for free? Everyone loves you.

Spend 40 hours making a mod that costs $3? You're Satan and an abomination to the community. Creative people should never get paid - they live on "love" and work for "exposure".

Honestly, the more I read fan whining on Steam the more I like the idea that the Piper has come to get paid.

News Comments > Mad Max Trailer
20. Re: Mad Max Trailer Apr 23, 2015, 14:06 Silicon Avatar

This looks way, way cooler and more involved and detailed than I had ever hoped for a movie tie-in game.

11. Re: Steam Launches Paid Mod Support Apr 23, 2015, 14:01 Silicon Avatar

Seems okay.

Of course the mod authors also subject themselves to having to support their creation, the fickleness of fans, business tax, marketing, tightwads, etc. It isn't going to be as cool as some mod authors probably think.

Only a handful will get a name for making anything cool and the rest will languish with basically no fan base.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III in May
5. Re: Galactic Civilizations III in May Apr 22, 2015, 23:49 Silicon Avatar

I bought this cheap when it was Kickstarted or whatever. We'll see.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 21, 2015, 13:42 Silicon Avatar

Beelzebud wrote on Apr 21, 2015, 12:16:
Linus was an asshole before anyone knew who Steve Ballmer was. His attitude is why the Linux kernel is as stable and secure as it is. He doesn't let crap in to the kernel, and he does not suffer fools. If you can't handle that, then Linux kernel development isn't for you.

Yeah, sure. That's same attitude that drives people out of open source.

It's a crappy attitude. Software can be properly engineered without it. It's a type of locker-room machismo BS that way too many nerds and geeks buy into.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 21, 2015, 10:50 Silicon Avatar

The point of the article was that Open Source projects have some leaders with attitude problems and that leads many developers to simply exit and quit contributing - which is the opposite of what you want to happen.

Linus Torvald yelling and throwing middle fingers around is the same alpha-dog attitude BS behavior everyone made fun of Steve Ballmer for.

Ignored bugs is what everyone makes fun of MS for.

Seems like some parallels are stacking up here.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 21, 2015, 10:36 Silicon Avatar

Fuller House... No...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2015, 18:52 Silicon Avatar

What if our fighter jets do fall behind China? Does it matter? What big player is going to screw with another nuclear power? Invading the US would be a complete nightmare whether our jets can dance ballet or not.

Besides in five years it's going to be all drones anyway.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2015, 10:55 Silicon Avatar

William Shatner's 30 billion dollar band-aid.

If Oregon or Washington agree to pipe water down to CA they're idiots on multiple levels.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 20, 2015, 10:21 Silicon Avatar

Comic-Con Silicon Valley: Where your favorite movie actors and electronic entertainment publishers hang! Enjoy our super-expensive venue! Roll the dice for a decent hotel! Fly into the butt-end of America (bring your own water and vaccines) to enjoy 3 days and 4 nights of SWAG.*

* Actual comic artists are in the back - most couldn't actually afford to attend. Your chance at SWAG is directly affected by your ability to no-life it in line for 4 hours. Bring $20 for con hot-dog and forget about wifi during your stay.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
8. Re: Sunday Metaverse Apr 19, 2015, 21:23 Silicon Avatar

If Google fell off the planet I could use Bing and not notice too terribly much. They all do roughly the same thing. Of course I think Pepsi and Coke are about the same too so..

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
1. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Apr 18, 2015, 20:05 Silicon Avatar

FBI watched too much Magnum PI.

News Comments > Into the Black
18. Re: Into the Black Apr 16, 2015, 22:24 Silicon Avatar

I came here to geek out about Star Wars but I see it's already devolved into Fan Wars so nevermind.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2015, 13:34 Silicon Avatar

I have been that guy inside that car more than once and it is not fun. I don't even like to drive anymore. Too many people are on cell phones and crap now.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 15, 2015, 14:28 Silicon Avatar

I won't miss Java or Flash (or Silverlight) but they will still be around for a while longer. Too many businesses haven't transitioned away yet. A lot of internal tools still rely on them and cranky versions of IE. The wheels are in motion though.  

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Hardware Reviews Apr 15, 2015, 11:22 Silicon Avatar

Creative Labs is so slow to update their drivers. I don't see why they are still around.  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule
64. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Launch Schedule Apr 13, 2015, 14:58 Silicon Avatar

Soo..

I've never played any of these games, believe it or not.

Is the gist of it that it's a driving sim in a sandbox world where your goal is to steal cars and shoot other thugs?

1849 Comments. 93 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo