Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1574 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Machines Announcement
20. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 7, 2014, 00:03 Silicon Avatar

Fantaz wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 23:35:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 23:23:

Valve has already said there won't be any exclusives, even if they did try to do HL3 as an exclusive people would play HL3 and then ditch the OS and go back to Windows.

I don't see this as a reason to ditch Windows as a desktop OS and have no interest in PC gaming in the living room.

I'd disagree. wasn't it the case when HL2 required Steam that everybody chose Steam to eventually be the dominant/leading platform for digital distribution? if HL3 was exclusive to SteamOS it could be adopted as a main platform for gamers, and I wouldn't be surprised if Valve made HL3/L4D3 exclusive to Steam Machine/SteamOS. history can repeat itself. they may say there won't be exclusives but things can always change. the only way for mass adoption is for exclusivity rights, and that's what Microsoft is trying to do with Xbox One for digital TV shows and movies.

I don't know if I'm the exception but I do a lot of stuff with my PC besides gaming and having to install and maintain another OS just to play a few exclusive games isn't something I'm interested in. It would be a hassle for not much benefit to me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Machines Announcement
9. Re: Steam Machines Announcement Jan 6, 2014, 22:53 Silicon Avatar

ViRGE wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 22:33:
siapnar wrote on Jan 6, 2014, 22:24:
Would be cool destructive if some developers made the full switch to Steam OS and left Windows in the dust, for their upcoming games
Fixed that for you.

There's nothing to gain from PC fragmentation. We're already a minority.

Seriously.

Some people didn't grow up in the DOS days. Windows and DirectX brought PC gaming to the masses.

News Comments > Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up
15. Re: Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up Jan 5, 2014, 17:55 Silicon Avatar

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 14:44:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 14:08:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 13:37:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 12:54:
The last time I looked at this it was useless because of the way they have it set up. If I am playing Skyrim from my library and somebody else wants to play XCom from my library, too bad. Until that's possible Family Share is a joke.

Simple solution. Play a single player game in OFFLINE MODE! duh.

It isn't a joke, they are protecting their licenses. I am sure this creates more sales - it is genius.

Yeah, yeah, everybody knows about that work-around. It's a crap work-around.

The point is that "Steam FAMILY sharing" doesn't do anything to help families share. The case can even be made the whole system's just a lame attempt to avoid proposed EU legislation that would force Steam to allow users to resell games as used. That'd at least explain why it's so half-baked.

"There is no pleasing you".

It's true. It's just me. Out of all the beta testers for Steam Sharing, I'm the only one who has noticed this.

Oh wait there is thread after thread dedicated to this issue. Huh. What a surprise. Man, for a second there I thought you were right and I was the only one, but just the tiniest bit of searching discovered otherwise. Boy you almost fooled me into thinking something mediocre was actually grand and that I was being unreasonable for wanting kindergarten levels of sharing for a program that has sharing in the name.

Gosh.

9. Re: Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up Jan 5, 2014, 14:08 Silicon Avatar

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 13:37:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 5, 2014, 12:54:
The last time I looked at this it was useless because of the way they have it set up. If I am playing Skyrim from my library and somebody else wants to play XCom from my library, too bad. Until that's possible Family Share is a joke.

Simple solution. Play a single player game in OFFLINE MODE! duh.

It isn't a joke, they are protecting their licenses. I am sure this creates more sales - it is genius.

Yeah, yeah, everybody knows about that work-around. It's a crap work-around.

The point is that "Steam FAMILY sharing" doesn't do anything to help families share. The case can even be made the whole system's just a lame attempt to avoid proposed EU legislation that would force Steam to allow users to resell games as used. That'd at least explain why it's so half-baked.

5. Re: Steam Family Sharing Tightened Up Jan 5, 2014, 12:54 Silicon Avatar

News Comments > PopCap CEO Retiring
12. Re: PopCap CEO Retiring Jan 3, 2014, 14:34 Silicon Avatar

El Pit wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 13:46:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jan 3, 2014, 13:31:
PopCap is mostly just a shell now. Almost all the creative force behind it left or was laid off soon after EA bought them. I feel sorry for the people left behind working for a zombie brand.

Zombie brand? Does this indicate EA is the plant in this game?

If we have to make EA a plant, it has to be the walnut - broken down and sad - and everyone wants it out of the way.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Jan 3, 2014, 14:31 Silicon Avatar

Bioshock Infinite is pretty fun and worth $10. I beat it on "hard" a week or so ago and got my ten bucks worth.

I liked it at least as well as the first Bioshock.

News Comments > PopCap CEO Retiring
7. Re: PopCap CEO Retiring Jan 3, 2014, 13:31 Silicon Avatar

PopCap is mostly just a shell now. Almost all the creative force behind it left or was laid off soon after EA bought them. I feel sorry for the people left behind working for a zombie brand.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2014, 13:16 Silicon Avatar

If I found out that my customer data got leaked because some business wouldn't move on from XP after it's final support date I'd never do business with them again. That's just negligent at this point. The risks of XP are well known and business has had plenty of time to update their 3rd party software.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2013, 13:13 Silicon Avatar

I looked at all of those patties, but it just made me want a burger from Smash Burger.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Dec 30, 2013, 13:17 Silicon Avatar

Does anyone here watch pro gaming stuff or follow any of the pro gamers?

I just can't take it seriously.

News Comments > On Sale
32. Re: On Sale Dec 29, 2013, 03:05 Silicon Avatar

I find myself buying up $2 and $3 games lately and skipping the big releases. It's so easy to spend $3 on a game. It's getting harder and harder to justify $40+.

News Comments > Battlefield 4 China Ban?
26. Re: Battlefield 4 China Ban? Dec 28, 2013, 01:22 Silicon Avatar

China has leadership that restricts its population's choices and uses media control to help it remain in power.

But China isn't stupid. People who say things like that learn hard lessons.

News Comments > On Sale
8. Re: On Sale Dec 24, 2013, 15:42 Silicon Avatar

I didn't see anything I wanted so I decided to fire up my old Star Trek Online account and check out the Christmas specials.

It had 8 gigs of updates. Damn.

News Comments > Festivus Consolidation
9. Re: Festivus Consolidation Dec 23, 2013, 21:55 Silicon Avatar

I'll get a Wii U later when it's cheaper and there's a Zelda game.

News Comments > Steam Holiday Sale
10. Re: Steam Holiday Sale Dec 20, 2013, 00:27 Silicon Avatar

I didn't see anything on sale that I wanted, but I did see that someone created a Shufflepuck Cafe clone called Shufflepuck Cantina. That name is a blast from the past... Ultratron (a Robotron clone) looks kind of fun too.

This comment was edited on Dec 20, 2013, 00:35.

News Comments > Morning Previews
17. Re: Morning Previews Dec 16, 2013, 15:01 Silicon Avatar

I'm disappointed to hear about the lack of called/targeted shots.

The rest sounded okay or can be made okay with mods.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
3. Re: Saturday Mobilization Dec 14, 2013, 12:42 Silicon Avatar

I wish they were all just declared public utilities - along with internet backbone providers and ISPs.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
1. Re: Saturday Consolidation Dec 14, 2013, 12:40 Silicon Avatar

I played HD Wind Waker on a Wii U at a game store. It was fine. There wasn't anything wrong with it. It's just that there aren't any games for it. I'll just wait around. All I really want to do is play Zelda and Mario for cheap. I'm guessing a lot of gamers feel the same.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week
8. Re: Wasteland 2 Early Access This Week Dec 13, 2013, 01:38 Silicon Avatar

I did the nostalgic physical box set so I don't have access to the beta. I don't actually want access to the beta. I want to play the game only after it's polished.

1574 Comments. 79 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo