Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1718 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong Fundraising Ends and Continues
9. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Fundraising Ends and Continues Feb 18, 2015, 02:08 Silicon Avatar

I put in for $15. I figured I couldn't lose much at that rate.

I didn't play the first games so hopefully I can figure out what's going on.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 16, 2015, 19:41 Silicon Avatar

That Underworld Ascendant KS is just barely making it.

I thought I was going to back it but I just keep messing around and not doing it.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Feb 12, 2015, 01:54 Silicon Avatar

Maybe some of these old guard guys who disappeared and then road the indie / KS hype train back for a second chance left for a reason the first time - they couldn't finish anything on time or on budget so they got shoved out by publishers. Now people are just seeing what they are really like for themselves on their own dime.

I am also forced to reexamine my thinking.

Maybe some of the stuff my old favorites blamed on publishers was just their own failings and nobody ever saw how petulant they really were. Maybe some of the stuff I blamed EA for all these years wasn't EA's fault. I look at how some of these famous developers act and I wonder.

When I was younger it was easy to believe the publisher was the bad guy. Now I have run projects myself and I know how time and budget get allotted and how little room there is for theatrics and hubris in creative projects that involve a lot of people and money.

I didn't throw any money at the new Underworld game on KS after all. It just isn't grabbing me. There are a lot of new people trying to make it with their own spin on dungeons. Last year I kickstarted a few things that have actually panned out okay, but this year I'm done paying for nostalgia.

Wow me or no money. You gotta want it, just like the new guy. A name isn't enough. I'm off the nostalgia train.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
10. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 9, 2015, 20:21 Silicon Avatar

Tablets have the same problem PCs and smart-phones do: fragmentation of market.

News Comments > Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter
11. Re: Underworld Ascendant Kickstarter Feb 4, 2015, 14:08 Silicon Avatar

The graphics look ok to me. I'm in.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 3, 2015, 19:42 Silicon Avatar

Ghostery and the mvp host file seems to do well enough.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 2, 2015, 17:43 Silicon Avatar

Flatline wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 17:31:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 2, 2015, 13:43:
Well, that would be most of them since there is going to be very little a robot can't do going forward. Most jobs can be split into logical parts and then repeated and the cost of robotic parts is falling.

(My office is next to a robotics lab)

Wake me up when a computer/robot can play Go and beat say a 6 dan player.

I won't have to. There'll be a robot for that long before your arbitrary AI problem is solved.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 2, 2015, 13:43 Silicon Avatar

Well, that would be most of them since there is going to be very little a robot can't do going forward. Most jobs can be split into logical parts and then repeated and the cost of robotic parts is falling.

(My office is next to a robotics lab)

News Comments > Star Trek Online Turns Five
12. Re: Star Trek Online Turns Five Jan 31, 2015, 21:14 Silicon Avatar

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 19:00:
Ant wrote on Jan 31, 2015, 14:03:
Is F2P very limited or has a lot to do as a freebie? I didn't get far in its free open beta. I wonder if I will be able to use my old beta account or did it get wiped?
It has plenty to do. You can get ships at top tier, do all the content, and never drop a dime. Some of it is grindy but it's not bad.

Yeah you can do pretty much everything and even come out with a good setup and good gear. The stuff you buy is mostly cosmetic, except the ships and some of those end up being give-aways around Christmas if you're willing to grind some. If you hate grinding you can buy some things that will give you xp bonuses too. I never felt like I needed that but I'm never in a hurry to level up either.

I played a long time and earned all the gear from the missions (plus reputation gear) and then mixed and matched.

When I feel like buying something I almost always buy keys and take my chances on the different crates to see what I get. I got a temporal science vessel that way once.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 31, 2015, 14:09 Silicon Avatar

That's too bad about Virtualbox.  

News Comments > Star Trek Online Turns Five
4. Re: Star Trek Online Turns Five Jan 31, 2015, 14:07 Silicon Avatar

I have a max level character in that game.

It's pretty fun I think. You can solo everything if you want. Some of the fan made missions are good so check those out too.

It's much better than when it came out. I think it's at least worth a download.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 30, 2015, 15:24 Silicon Avatar

In the past year or so I've noticed that Amazon doesn't really always have the best price anymore. Stuff I used to get cheap is now available at local retailers for prices that are so similar I'd just as soon buy local.

The same thing happened to New Egg. I don't see the great deals like I used to. They're okay deals, but nothing to write home about.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 30, 2015, 15:20 Silicon Avatar

I'm at 1080p and have about as much interest in 4k or 8k as I did in 3D, which was zero.

I guess when I want another TV in ten years or whatever if it's 16k then fine.

It's like when cars upgrade every year and I ignore it every year because I just don't need another car right now.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 30, 2015, 15:13 Silicon Avatar

jdreyer wrote on Jan 30, 2015, 14:05:
Is there another analog similar to this? Say, I go to a football game, record it, and put my own commentary on it? Should the teams involved also get a cut of that? I'm trying to wrap my brain around if or how much the game maker "owns" a Let's Play.

I'm pretty sure if you go to a pro or college game with a video camera and try to do your own broadcast you are going to get shut down.

If you watch a movie and talk over it with your own humorous commentary you'll get a nastygram from the MPAA.

If you have a restaurant and you play music in it the recording association wants you to pay a special license for that.

Just look at the hissy fit the author's guild threw when Amazon made Kindles that had speech synthesis to "read" the novels. The author's guild wanted a cut because they said that hurt their sales of books on CD.

Let's Plays are now big enough that publishers are thinking about getting a slice of the pie. You can bet the big $ game publishing industry is watching to see what the reaction is from fans.

If the big audience Let's Players are smart they'll band together and dump Nintendo titles to the floor before this ever gets a foothold.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 30, 2015, 13:18 Silicon Avatar

I've been waiting for some company to want performance revenue (or whatever you want to call it) from Youtube Let's Plays.

It's kind of a sad state of gaming when watching somebody play the game is more entertaining than actually playing the game for a lot of titles.

News Comments > Five Nights at Freddy's 3 Announced
5. Re: Five Nights at Freddy's 3 Announced Jan 26, 2015, 21:14 Silicon Avatar

The guy has a good thing going and is smart to strike while the iron is hot.  

News Comments > DayZ Early Access Sells 3M
1. Re: DayZ Early Access Sells 3M Jan 24, 2015, 14:10 Silicon Avatar

I've seen a couple let's play on Youtube that make this look kind of fun, but when I go to any forum everyone is yelling about it, so I just keep waiting..  

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 23, 2015, 23:05 Silicon Avatar

I generally only crowdfund stuff when it's almost a sure thing and the price is way less than I can get it at a store.

It's not something I'm going to do for every game and there are some developers I will never Kickstart. Some companies have enough money already.

News Comments > Evening Patches
1. Re: Evening Patches Jan 22, 2015, 20:08 Silicon Avatar

Cool. I got the Galciv 3 beta on a Steam sale. I haven't tried it yet. I was just kind of waiting around for the full game to come out and figured I might as well get it on sale.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Dropping Subscriptions in March
38. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Dropping Subscriptions in March Jan 21, 2015, 20:09 Silicon Avatar

I thought it was pretty fun. I've been playing on and off since it came out. I solo most everything.

I have actually learned more about the lore of tamriel races from ESO than I have from the single player games. In ESO you can see a race's culture in action. In the single player games it's mostly buried in books that I never actually get around to reading.

I don't mind that it's going F2P though.

1718 Comments. 86 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo