Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1533 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale
33. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 14:18 Silicon Avatar

For what it's worth I can't even get logged into GOG to even check out right now.

I get a 504 gateway error.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale
31. Re: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics Free in GOG.com Winter Sale Dec 12, 2013, 14:16 Silicon Avatar

Icewind wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 14:09:
harlock wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 13:59:
Icewind wrote on Dec 12, 2013, 13:57:
Why does everyone whine about that?

because it sucks?

i dont know, ask everyone

Thanks for that eloquent rebuttal.

You reinvigorate my standing theory that those who whine about it are just petulant, demanding children who have no skill with CRPGs.

Either that or like most kids you parrot what others say on forums and tout that as part of your learned experience.

Simple fact is, that 13 year time limit is way more time than even the most casual of wasteland explorers need to 100% the game. Anyone saying otherwise is a poser.

Or not.

I played Fallout 1 (back when it came out) and had my game ruined because of the time limit. Instead of faffing around with a water chip, I decided to explore the wasteland over to the farthest corners of the map and try to score some cool gear. By the time I got back around to the water chip, my time limit was up and my game was over. I had to go back to a really early save, at which point I rage quit.

I did go back and beat Fallout later, but the time limit sucks. It doesn't make any sense either. It's not like *my character* was running out of water... But no, boom, you failed a quest objective so your game is done. Haha. Try again.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
41. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2013, 14:27 Silicon Avatar

Damn dude. Throwing the shoes over the side was okay, but don't throw yourself over with it.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 9, 2013, 19:46 Silicon Avatar

They should hire from within. Clippy would be a better CEO than Ballmer.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 9, 2013, 19:41 Silicon Avatar

I like 8.1 pretty well. A built-in classic start menu option would be nice though.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 9, 2013, 14:35 Silicon Avatar

I went to a local restaurant that used tablets to take orders too. It looked pretty cool.  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Dec 9, 2013, 02:26 Silicon Avatar

$1000 is a lot to blow for making some people mad for a few days.

Like, I can think of a lot better ways that money could have been spent.

News Comments > Survivor2299/Fallout 4 Hoax
27. Re: Survivor2299/Fallout 4 Hoax Dec 8, 2013, 12:57 Silicon Avatar

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 8, 2013, 12:52:
Any publicity is good publicity... That saying is for celebrities who've become dormant. Totally doesn't work for corporations etc.

THANK YOU.

16. Re: Survivor2299/Fallout 4 Hoax Dec 7, 2013, 16:28 Silicon Avatar

nin wrote on Dec 7, 2013, 14:50:
Why did Bethesda wait so long to deny this?

Was thinking about that last night...

I'm not sure, but Bethesda got roasted for it on Twitter and all the other social media they have setup. Hopefully they will have a clue for next time.

8. Re: Survivor2299/Fallout 4 Hoax Dec 7, 2013, 11:59 Silicon Avatar

It sucks that the site was a hoax - I wanted another game.

Bethesda took its sweet-ass time putting it down too.

I've got to say, I'm spoiled by the indie Kickstarter game dev. reports now. I get frequent progress reports in my email about Wasteland 2. Behemoth developers like Bethesda are mired in a seriously dated 1994-style "when it's done" press mentality.

News Comments > More Survivor 2299 Teasing
30. Re: More Survivor 2299 Teasing Dec 7, 2013, 01:48 Silicon Avatar

Cutter wrote on Dec 7, 2013, 01:35:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 22:23:
And now the 2299 website resolves to show a Youtube video about Tunnel Snakes. I guess it was fake after all.

LOL. Epic troll.

I could forgive it on April 1st. Otherwise he's just a punk asshole.

I'm actually pretty annoyed, but trying to make the best of it since there is nothing I can do about it.

28. Re: More Survivor 2299 Teasing Dec 6, 2013, 22:23 Silicon Avatar

And now the 2299 website resolves to show a Youtube video about Tunnel Snakes. I guess it was fake after all.

LOL. Epic troll.

27. Re: More Survivor 2299 Teasing Dec 6, 2013, 21:17 Silicon Avatar

Task wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 15:34:
If you folks don't have patience to read, then your probably shouldn't read books. I play games specifically as visual novels. Even if I can SEE the "novels" world, it still needs to tell me something, the characters in it need be believable in their world. I hate trying to watch other people plays games and they constantly press ENTER to skip dialogue, which is why I don't physically watch people play games. I want it to tell me a story, rather than a simple dialogue.

Even a mundane seeming quest or character can be made exceptional if its woven into the game in a good way, if the developers and story tellers are up to the task. If they aren't up to the task, well then of course skipping the dialogue would be a good option.

I also play a lot of console jRPG's and those have loads of dialogue and story telling, so I'm kind of used to sitting there and listening.

Games are a visual medium - they need to show, not tell.

If I want to play a text game like Zork, okay. But I'm not, I'm playing a graphical game where everything is represented graphically in the world space. It just doesn't require that much dialogue.

What Bethesda lacks is characterization. Their one-liners are bland and give the characters little differentiation for the most part. A good writer doesn't need pages of dialogue to get that across though.

16. Re: More Survivor 2299 Teasing Dec 6, 2013, 14:17 Silicon Avatar

Acleacius wrote on Dec 6, 2013, 13:43:
They make a great world to adventure through, amazing editors and have overall very good story plots. But I can't think of any AAA RPG game developer with worst writers, in story, dialog and NPCs.

Whether it's being forced to listen to Linda Carter saying "I'm am forced to carry your burdens" or Fallout 3's infantile dialog. "Have you seen a middle aged guy, I'm looking for my father."

I'm playing through SWKOTOR2 right now and some of the characters are just one info-dump after another. I "got" what was going on after the first two lines but I'm having to click through a wall of text so I can get to go DO something (doing something being the point of a game).

I'm actually starting to lean more towards liking NPCs that have simple dialogue. If I want to read a lot of back story or detailed explanation I'd much rather read it in an in-game journal or book.

This goes doubly if I have to listen to a voice actor read from a script.

4. Re: More Survivor 2299 Teasing Dec 6, 2013, 09:44 Silicon Avatar

Well, whatever, guys.

I've been having fun with that site all week.

The story that the Morse code comes out with is pretty interesting. There actually were a couple hoax sites recently but they've abruptly closed their hoaxes down.

I kind of doubt Bethesda would allow a site with the Vault-Tec logo to operate for weeks and deliver some mysterious payload at the end. I think it would have been pulled by now - or people would have at least been warned that Bethsoft wasn't the ones making it. I mean, it's hit general gamer press. It's not like they don't know it's there.

News Comments > Survivor 2299: "Nuclear winter has come"
17. Re: Survivor 2299: Dec 4, 2013, 23:34 Silicon Avatar

Dunno if anyone is still reading this thread, but this site just popped up. If you change the size of your browser window to make all the circles sort of concentric then when the explosion cloud pops up you can see the number 4 made out of sparkles.

http://thepropheteer.com

You have to do it just right or it doesn't work.

The Bethesda forum says the song came out of the 60s. That is all they really know. If this is a hoax these things are getting really elaborate and more than one person must be involved.

11. Re: Survivor 2299: Dec 3, 2013, 17:03 Silicon Avatar

dumpy wrote on Dec 3, 2013, 16:48:
As enjoyable as most Bethesda games are (I'm currently playing through both Skyrim and Fallout 3), they're usually fairly buggy. Best option might be to wait 6 to 12 months for patches and mod maturity.

But that's not going to happen.

It's true. I just wade through the bugs. I play Bethesda games for years so it doesn't bother me if my first play-through is not optimal.

Waiting is a better deal monetarily though. Usually in a year or so you can get GOTY on sale and by that time there are usually some good mods too.

9. Re: Survivor 2299: Dec 3, 2013, 15:22 Silicon Avatar

No problem, guys.

FO4 is a day one purchase for me (ok it's worse than that - I will pre-order the collector's edition).

I can't wait to see Fallout in the Skyrim engine. I am working on yet another NV play-through right now.

4. Re: Survivor 2299: Dec 3, 2013, 11:27 Silicon Avatar

This supposedly came from somewhere on Reddit. I found it on the Bethsoft forum.

All messages pieced together (highlight the text - I put it in "secret" mode for people who want to figure it out themselves):

October 23rd, 2077

Air Raid Sirens go off. The Great War begins and lasts two hours

“Calling any station. Calling any station. Calling any station. This is OZ (Bridgeport). Please stand by.”

“Bridgeport, this is Concord (MA), message: Quabbin Reservoir is hit, repeat, Quabbin Reservoir is hit, over.”

(Boston is hit by a nuclear warhead. The NCRA was in the process of being updated with a situation report)

"National Catastrophe Relief Auxiliary Unit, Boston 314, 7 Emergency Message: NEW YORK STAGE 7 WASHINGTON STAGE 7 LOS ANGELES STAGE 7 AUSTIN STAGE 7 CHICAGO STAGE 7 NEW ORLEAN STAGE 7 LAS VEGAS UNKNOWN MIAMI STAGE 7 DALLAS STAGE 7 DENVER STAGE 7 SAN DIEGO STAGE 7 SAN FRANCISCO STAGE 7 BOSTO-"

(A vault technician opens 119 to any survivors of the initial attack. IT is possible 7667 is the code needed to enter the Vault)

“Calling all stations, calling all stations, calling all stations, this is Vault Technician 2510730 one six emergency Vault-Tec shelter for survivors in Quabbin, number 119, repeat, emergency Vault-Tec shelter for survivors in Quabbin, number 119, over”

(The radio operator who attempted to reach the NCRA realizes Boston is now gone and that there is no hope)

“Calling all stations, calling all stations, calling all stations. Boston is gone, I repeat, Boston is gone. No Hope. Frequency 3450 Return Transmission. Goodbye America.”

(Six days pass, and the Nuclear Winter occurs)

TIME ELAPSES

July 4th, 2299

(The Survivor heads to the Institute for help)

”MY DEAR SISTER. I’M HEADING TO THE INSTITUTE. GOD KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS PLACE NOW. THIS OLD BASTARD WILL HELP US. HE MUST HELP US. –0321–”

(The Institute refuses to help the survivor. He decides to venture to Black Row.)

THE INSTITUTE IS SEALED. THEY WON'T HELP US. I'M HEADING TO BLACK ROW. -NGQHT 5120-

(In the meantime, Vault 119 is being attacked)

"Calling all stations, this is overseer 119 emergency enemy unknown, SOS. Vault 119 Quabbin 7667, repeat, SOS, Vault 119 Quabbin 7667 enemy unknown."

(The attackers manage to breach the vault doors. The vault dwellers retreat to level 4.)

"Calling all stations, this is Vault Overseer 119, anybody near Quabbin? SOS Vault door breach, repeat, SOS Vault door breach, enemy unknown, level 1, 2, and 3 gone, survivors on (service lift to OR in secure location) level 4"

(The attackers manage to kill the overseer (whose code is 15334), who probably attempted to defend his vault dwellers and hold off the attackers. The attackers now attempt to breach Level 4)

"Calling all stations, this is Vault 119, SOS, Level 4 is under attack, Overseer is dead, repeat, SOS, Level 4 is under attack, Overseer is dead. We won’t make it."

(The Survivor has reached Black Row. They send our a Quick Response Force to help at Vault 119.)

"Calling Black Row Out Station. Ground is safe. Too Late. Level 4 breach. No survivors, 899 corpses. We are leaving Vault 119. Over, back to you."

Someone, presumably a synthetic humanoid (android), attempts to hack into the Overseer's computer but uses a wrong code - 15812 instead of 15334 -and the incorrect log-in marks the android as an enemy. The message below is left on the computer)

"THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT'S COMING. IT'S A KEY TO THE GREAT GAME"

1. Re: Survivor 2299: Dec 3, 2013, 10:16 Silicon Avatar

Interesting.

I think FO4 is going to be filthy with androids.

I mean, assuming this isn't the world's best hoax on gaming.

1533 Comments. 77 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo