Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1849 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
8. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 2, 2015, 15:02 Silicon Avatar

OneDrive is a legitimate cloud backup service that a lot of people should actually use.

I see users lose data all the time. They never backup and they never will. OneDrive solves that.

For an extra $2 a month OneDrive will even do at rest encryption. If you are broke you can use Boxcryptor for free (to do at rest encryption) if you are a non-commercial entity.

https://www.boxcryptor.com/en/onedrive

IMO at rest encryption should have been there by default, but I still recommend users take advantage of OneDrive whether they bother to go the extra step or not.

I tell users not to use an MS account too, though some may prefer it - and that's okay.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2015, 13:47 Silicon Avatar

I liked TRON but I can also see where a lot of people wouldn't get it or like it on their own.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Aug 2, 2015, 13:42 Silicon Avatar

Seems like a good feature for many, but not all. Here's how to turn it off.

How to turn it off

I set mine to only get updates from MS and my local network.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
14. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 1, 2015, 14:13 Silicon Avatar

Everybody had drivers ready to go except creative Labs (of course - when do they ever update anything on time). The sound still works with the built-in drivers though so whatever.

I ran Edge once, saw that it had no adblock available and dumped it.

The new calculator app sucks.

So far no problems running anything. It took about an hour to set up the new start menu the way I wanted it. I unpinned all the crap they give you and then pinned all the thing I use in nice categories. This setup lets me have a clean desktop.

The new virtual desktops are nice. Flat interface is growing on me.

MS still has a dumb UI consistency in that they want the preferences setup menu to not just be part of the regular control panel.

I turned all the questionable privacy invading stuff off, including Cortana (which I'll never use). I think 99% of the stuff I turned off is for people who like tablets and/or have only ever used tablets. I guess there will be a lot of those people going forward.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 1, 2015, 14:04 Silicon Avatar

Damn that stunt man got run over twice and still walked away.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jul 31, 2015, 23:47 Silicon Avatar

If anyone has a blurry device manager in Windows 10 set your screen back to 100% instead of 125%.

There's a visual glitch that makes a few windows like device manager look weird if you use 125% scaling for your desktop.

The option is under "customize your display". Make sure it's 100 for now. I'm sure there'll be a fix later.

Other than that I haven't noticed any trouble with Windows 10 (and yeah it does try to make Edge the default if you do "express install").

I never do express install for anything. My mouse automatically migrates to custom.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Director's Cut in October
10. Re: Wasteland 2 Director's Cut in October Jul 31, 2015, 10:07 Silicon Avatar

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 20:09:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 19:39:
Bummer. I thought it'd be here sooner. That's cutting it kind of close to Fallout's release date.

I'm not complaining really. It's a free update for me.

Between the Director's Cut of Wasteland 2 and Fallout 4, I'm much more interested in W2DC. That game was great in spite of being a buggy mess on release day, it'll be amazing(hopefully!) with the added content and other patches.

I like the idea of quirks. I'm looking forward to that.

The story is something that's not totally grabbing me for some reason.

I still like the game though. I think I'm just mad that I encountered a bug and couldn't get a big quest to resolve right. I decided to wait for the biggest patch, which turned out to be the Director's Cut.

I'll start over when it comes out and give it another go.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 31, 2015, 10:05 Silicon Avatar

Is there a way to ignore users? Down-vote? Something? If not, it would be a huge improvement.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 31, 2015, 09:40 Silicon Avatar

Seriously, shut up, AMD. You can talk smack when you can back up your words with performance.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2015, 19:50 Silicon Avatar

The best thing you can do right now is throw money at the EFF.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Director's Cut in October
1. Re: Wasteland 2 Director's Cut in October Jul 30, 2015, 19:39 Silicon Avatar

Bummer. I thought it'd be here sooner. That's cutting it kind of close to Fallout's release date.

Maybe I can beat it in a month though.

I'm not complaining really. It's a free update for me.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2015, 14:29 Silicon Avatar

Story on how to disable telemetry

There...

I think the telemetry data is only for apps but who knows.

I hope you guys concerned about privacy in your OS are more concerned about what's happening on the web. It is trivial to fingerprint your browser and follow your unique ID all over the place - and that's just to start.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 30, 2015, 11:25 Silicon Avatar

I log in to Win10 with a local account and disable anything that looks like it could leak private information. It's pretty up front though. You're not having to dive into the registry to make these changes.

I'll probably uninstall Solitaire just because I never play it.

When an OS vendor has network "cloud" syncing services then there is going to be some tracking involved just to get it to work. That's the nature of it.

Sometimes I think about setting up a dual boot Linux system but last time I tried it still couldn't use the Sound Blaster Z card I have. (It's a long story as to why I still have a dedicated sound card.)

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Jul 30, 2015, 10:53 Silicon Avatar

There's an entire privacy control panel dedicated to turning off things that you don't want.

It's worth checking out if you run Windows 10.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 30, 2015, 09:33 Silicon Avatar

InBlack wrote on Jul 30, 2015, 02:29:
Cutter wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 20:05:
Oh, so he's going to commit that sociopath to an asylum where he can get the treatment he so desperately needs?

Sociopaths are not crazy. They can also tell right from wrong, they just don't give a shit. If we started committing people without a conscience to mental institutions, we might as well give up the so called 'free market' economy, since that would include pretty much everyone on Wall Street, and the rest of the world's top bankers included...

Not seeing the downside here..

News Comments > NVIDIA and AMD Windows 10 Drivers
7. Re: NVIDIA and AMD Windows 10 Drivers Jul 29, 2015, 21:21 Silicon Avatar

Ran Windows 10 update and after waiting a little bit the Nvidia driver installed itself. Total time was less than hour. No problems so far.  

News Comments > Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to "Hate"
7. Re: Five Nights at Freddy's Developer Responds to Jul 29, 2015, 20:25 Silicon Avatar

ViRGE wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 19:47:
bobbyweenus wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 18:56:
It is pretty brutal there have been, what, four total Five Nights games released in a single calendar year?

At the same time, they're a decent price, people love them and you can't hate on the guy for finding success. It's just, in today's gaming world where more people are paying attention to predatory, anti-consumer practices in gaming, this stands out a bit and catches a lot of flak that the bigger companies deserve much more.
And this is exactly what I wanted to say. I'm happy for the developer that he's found so much success, but releasing 4 games in a year certainly warrants raising an eyebrow.

Why?

What business is it of yours?

If people are buying then obviously somebody wants the product and apparently they want more of it.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 14:28 Silicon Avatar

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 11:05:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Jul 29, 2015, 09:53:
I guess I'll upgrade to 10 and see what happens.

I was going to wait but meh. I can fix whatever breaks.

I'm not telling regular users to update until later though.

Wow you really held out!

I'm waiting for all the feedback, there will be plenty.

LOL. Yeah.

Holding out for me this time was not bothering with the beta.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 29, 2015, 09:53 Silicon Avatar

I guess I'll upgrade to 10 and see what happens.

I was going to wait but meh. I can fix whatever breaks.

I'm not telling regular users to update until later though.

News Comments > Fallout 4 "Basically Done"
26. Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 14:40 Silicon Avatar

So much hate. So many hipsters.  

1849 Comments. 93 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo