Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1587 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 16, 2014, 21:07 Silicon Avatar

Users are so glutted with titles that some of them think that the time they spend checking your game out is payment enough. In the mean time developers spend a lot of time giving their work away hoping for some kind of lottery style popularity win.

It's a losing situation for most developers. Racing to the bottom was stupid and now it's come to its stupid conclusion. They did it to themselves but they can still back out and return to sanity. Not every app went that route and shedding the "I want it for free crowd" is not exactly a big loss for most.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under
11. Re: Target Halts Grand Theft Auto V Sales Down Under Dec 3, 2014, 10:45 Silicon Avatar

Why only in Australia?

This must have more to do with Target protecting itself against some potential liability in Australia than anything. Otherwise they would have halted sales everywhere.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 25, 2014, 14:36 Silicon Avatar

Anytime any industry says there "aren't enough workers" what they're really saying is that they want cheaper workers.

News Comments > Elite: Dangerous Refunds Reconsidered
7. Re: Elite: Dangerous Refunds Reconsidered Nov 21, 2014, 18:54 Silicon Avatar

This is getting to the point where I need popcorn.  

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - App Game Kit 2
3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - App Game Kit 2 Nov 21, 2014, 15:51 Silicon Avatar

I know some people are using Admob and I've seen talk about Chartboost and some others too. I haven't done it but it seems to be possible.

There's no hidden fees or license restrictions as far as I know. You buy it and do whatever you want. If you manage to make the next Flappy Bird then that's all your cash.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - App Game Kit 2
1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - App Game Kit 2 Nov 21, 2014, 10:24 Silicon Avatar

This is a fun language to play with if you are an indie or a hobbyist.

You can use either BASIC syntax and compile to machine code that's run by an interpreter embedded in the .exe that's created or you can use C (and then it's just like any other library I guess).

For the type of games you'd probably make with AGK2 (tile overhead, puzzle, mobile games, platformers, old-school EOB style 3D RPG, adventure, etc.) it's plenty fast.

I kickstarted it a while back and now it's finally on Steam.

News Comments > Evening Patches
6. Re: Evening Patches Nov 7, 2014, 23:49 Silicon Avatar

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 7, 2014, 22:36:
Is Wasteland ready to play after that monster update?

I've been playing since day 1, so I'd say "Yes." but I only ever ran into 2 bugs.

Check Youtube videos before you buy because the gameplay style is not for everyone.

1. Re: Evening Patches Nov 7, 2014, 19:59 Silicon Avatar

Lots of good fixes for Wasteland 2.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 7, 2014, 10:59 Silicon Avatar

I wrote ME3 off when they required Origin installation to play.

I'd pretty much forgotten about it since then. If they're ready to put it on Steam and give up on making me use Origin then I'll have a look. Otherwise I don't care.

News Comments > Fallout: Shadow of Boston German TM [Updated]
34. Re: Fallout: Shadow of Boston German TM Nov 5, 2014, 15:01 Silicon Avatar

Yeah.

I don't really think Bethesda will announce anything until after Christmas, by which time they should be done hyping The Evil Within.

I'm sure it's all on a schedule.

News Comments > Fallout: Shadow of Boston German TM [Updated]
31. Re: Fallout: Shadow of Boston German TM Nov 5, 2014, 14:29 Silicon Avatar

https://twitter.com/Bethblog/status/530072762854170624

Bethblog's Twitter says it's a hoax.

15. Re: Evening Patches Oct 30, 2014, 14:00 Silicon Avatar

Thanks guys. I think I'll wait around a little. Maybe it'll be on sale Christmas or so. I may check it out then.

1. Re: Evening Patches Oct 29, 2014, 20:13 Silicon Avatar

Is The Evil Within any good? I mean, Silent Hill good? Or is it more of a pop-up scare kind of thing?  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock II
16. Re: Ships Ahoy - Legend of Grimrock II Oct 16, 2014, 20:12 Silicon Avatar

Does this game fix the spellcasting user interface mechanic from the last game?

I liked LOG but I'm not fiddling with a crap spellcasting UI this time around. They've had time to improve it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2014, 20:49 Silicon Avatar

That Alzheimer's memory loss story is pretty interesting.

For one patient the basic regiment was largely: better diet, exercise, less stress, more sleep, and weight loss. There was a drug too, but I still found the rest of it telling.

I've been thinking for some time now that some of our illnesses (and probably sociopathic behaviors) come from being chronically overworked, tired, poorly nourished, and under too much stress for too long of a period.

It's just a suspicion.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
27. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 10, 2014, 21:17 Silicon Avatar

I think people most give about 5-6 good hours of work per day and the rest is half-hearted work done on automatic by people waiting for 5 to roll around.

People will only be really productive for you so much during a day. You can make them sit in a chair however long you want but they're not going to put out that much more work.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Oct 7, 2014, 13:59 Silicon Avatar

Why do we even have video game journalists anymore?

I can find out everything I need from some guy's Youtube "Let's Play". I literally can watch the game being played and see for myself if I would want to play it.

So there go reviews. What's left? Product announcements?

Game journalism just seems like a bunch of people fapping because they don't actually have any news to report on that everyone can't already see for themselves...

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Oct 4, 2014, 14:02 Silicon Avatar

It'll go away.

Gamergate might have started off with a point but now it's lost and any hope of discussion is gone. The whole thing is probably fueled by a few trolls on 4chan at this point. All it takes to keep it going is a handful of people with fake outrage and too much time to burn.

Just ignore it.

With that said, there are better hobbies than gaming. Gaming is more of something to do to pass the time than a real hobby. If you're interested in photography do it. You'll be way better off than wasting hundreds of hours on games.

News Comments > New AMD Catalyst Drivers
13. Re: New AMD Catalyst Drivers Sep 30, 2014, 22:04 Silicon Avatar

My Firefox was misbehaving to the point where I switched over to Opera Next. Now I don't have any problems.

I'm not sure I'll get ATI/AMD again next time but I will certainly look at them. I haven't really had any major trouble with mine.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 28, 2014, 14:40 Silicon Avatar

I've met more than one highly intelligent person with very advanced degrees who are unable to find work in their field at at a decent pay rate. People become so specialized with PhDs that they all end up competing for the same 20 or 30 jobs. When there's a glut of PhDs it causing degree hiring inflation, which is even worse.

As an aside, I wish people would recognize that having a HS diploma is the same has having no diploma and fund free public education through to the level of at least an associate's or trade school education. Also, the stigma on trade work needs to be erased. There is nothing great about any white collar worker that sets him above a good plumber or welder.

1587 Comments. 80 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo