Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1717 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2015, 18:55 Silicon Avatar

I only need one game delivery service.

Gog is fine. I buy old stuff on there out of nostalgia but I'm not leaving behind 50 or whatever games like this guy did.

Whatever gives Steam more competition benefits me though so... Okay.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > DOOM Reveal at E3
50. Re: DOOM Reveal at E3 May 18, 2015, 19:27 Silicon Avatar

The troll in me wants this to be the big reveal for E3 just so I can bust out the 500 gallon bucket of popcorn.

News Comments > Game Reviews
12. Re: Game Reviews May 17, 2015, 18:05 Silicon Avatar

BIGtrouble77 wrote on May 17, 2015, 13:55:
Silicon Avatar wrote on May 17, 2015, 13:18:
The stock argument is that, late game, you will have so much combat that you'll never finish.

I can kind of see it but at the same time I don't find the combat viewer enjoyable and never finish games anyway, so...

One of my favorite old 4x games is Knights of Honor. It had a very nice combat mode that you could opt out of. I found that I rarely took part in any battles, but it was nice to join the occasional critical battle. It would be really nice if GalCiv provided that.

Agree. I'd love that.

10. Re: Game Reviews May 17, 2015, 13:18 Silicon Avatar

The stock argument is that, late game, you will have so much combat that you'll never finish.

I can kind of see it but at the same time I don't find the combat viewer enjoyable and never finish games anyway, so...

7. Re: Game Reviews May 17, 2015, 03:39 Silicon Avatar

Are you playing the campaign?

It sounds like something is broken with the rarity selector maybe.

There is a bug with the pirates right now though. Around turn 100 if you have a lot of pirates in your game your turns will take 20 seconds or more to process because the pirates have no range and the A* pathfinding they use can bog down on immense galaxies. The developer has a fix and will get it in soon.

I would have preferred better combat than the combat viewer. The current combat viewer's ability to show you what's going on is laughable. Ships float around randomly with a bobbing camera that can't ever decide what to focus on. There's no formations or anything. It's not worth watching after a few times. It sort of takes away from the ship design aspect too. You can put all your lasers on the bottom or on the top or whatever - it isn't going to make any difference in how the battles play out.

Fun game but some things could have been pushed farther. I'd give it an 8.5. I bought it cheap on the initial KS. It's good, just not A+.

This comment was edited on May 17, 2015, 03:47.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Specs
41. Re: Oculus Rift Specs May 16, 2015, 13:47 Silicon Avatar

I'm excited about it, I just don't want to pay for generation 1. It always has glitches.

I'm also still really worried about how my eyes are going to take this. I wear glasses already. This is a thing I need to try on and use for myself before buying.

1. Re: Game Reviews May 16, 2015, 13:40 Silicon Avatar

I played about 6 hours of GalCiv 3 last night. I found a few graphical glitches. No crashes. I got that "one more turn" feeling.

Galciv3 does not deviate from the GalCiv formula - it just adds nuance and refinement. To me, because the last game in the series is so old, that is pretty much exactly what I wanted. For some, who wanted action combat and radical changes, then this game is not for them.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed May 15, 2015, 13:44 Silicon Avatar

Maybe olds should get together and form Voltron to show the newbs how its done.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 14, 2015, 19:33 Silicon Avatar

This software is pretty good at removing malware. Use it and Malwarebytes once in a while and you're good to go for the most part.  

News Comments > More Fallout 4 Speculation
20. Re: More Fallout 4 Speculation May 11, 2015, 18:50 Silicon Avatar

I'm in for a collector's edition.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
16. Re: Evening Metaverse May 10, 2015, 04:52 Silicon Avatar

If you've ever lived in a place that's got a rush on soccer moms who are late for pilates because they needed to drop little Kaden off at Jr. Achievement you can understand the article.

Now imagine an entire city of that.

In ten years the whole place will smell like artisan bread from some chain bakery and all the regular people will be driving in an hour and a half to work every day.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
15. Re: Morning Metaverse May 8, 2015, 18:37 Silicon Avatar

There are just toys. Sorting them by gender was a way to make sales and market things. It's the same stupid reason there is men's and women's deodorant.

It's not necessary.

And no, there doesn't really have to be men's and women's clothes either. It's all social construction and it can go down as easily as it went up. There's no physical law at play.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 GotY Free Upgrade
15. Re: Wasteland 2 GotY Free Upgrade May 7, 2015, 12:18 Silicon Avatar

Sweet. This is the best Kickstarter investment I ever made.

I never finished my first play through. Now I think I'll start over with the new improvements.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 6, 2015, 19:11 Silicon Avatar

Middle finger emoji is my new must-have feature for 2015.  

News Comments > Oculus Rift in Q1 2016
63. Re: Oculus Rift in Q1 2016 May 6, 2015, 19:09 Silicon Avatar

I wear glasses. Where do these devices put me? Are they good enough to go comfortably over glasses or would I just have to sit there with eyestrain? That is the deal-breaker for me.  

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 5, 2015, 09:47 Silicon Avatar

Carly Fiorina for President?

Time to bust out the popcorn.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse May 5, 2015, 09:45 Silicon Avatar

Eventually cable companies will figure out that the internet is a video service. I haven't had cable TV in years. Netflix, Crunchyroll, and Youtube carry more stuff than I can ever finish watching.  

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. May 4, 2015, 19:00 Silicon Avatar

It was probably a personal project he used to teach himself some programming techniques.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Mandatory Subscriptions End
65. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Mandatory Subscriptions End May 1, 2015, 12:06 Silicon Avatar

InBlack wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 03:45:
Have any of you ESO players played through Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim?

This is not an Elder Scrolls game. It's an MMO skinner box. A reskin of a favorite setting raped in the typical MMO fashion. Sorry to rain on your parade but to me gameplay has to go hand in hand with story and atmosphere, I can't play an MMO such as this one and pretend to be in Tamriel. The whole experience is frustrating and completely breaks any and all immersion. Sorry, but this is not an Elder Scrolls MMO done right.

I beat Oblivion and Skyrim multiple times. I played Morrowind but didn't beat it. I own and played the original game - Arena too.

I like ESO.

YMMV.

1. is. May 1, 2015, 09:51 Silicon Avatar

Now soccer moms can feel okay about having solar on the rooftop without that icky mechanical closet.

Tesla Motors: Toys for people who smell their own farts.

Ok, whatever though. Whatever makes people use more solar is okay. I'm just tired of Apple-look consumer stuff coming out of CA that is billed as some great invention when it's really yet another incremental step with some plastic shell stuck on. Don't mind me.

1717 Comments. 86 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo