Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Silicon Avatar

Real Name Silicon Avatar   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Silicon Avatar
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 13, 2003, 17:28
Total Comments 1782 (Pro)
User ID 18037

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Minecraft PC Sells > 20M
14. Re: Minecraft PC Sells > 20M Jun 30, 2015, 21:14 Silicon Avatar

Cool.

I played it a lot when it was pretty new and then one day I just sort of woke up and decided I never wanted to play again.

I guess I got it out of my system and was done.

It's neat that it's still going.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2015, 22:07.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2015, 19:24 Silicon Avatar

Do planes really dogfight anymore? I thought they just shot missiles at each other from 200 miles away.

The whole thing seems like last year's war anyway. Going forward who isn't going to use a swarm of drones?

News Comments > Scrolls Closing
15. Re: Scrolls Closing Jun 29, 2015, 19:40 Silicon Avatar

harlock wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 18:29:
I bet that makes the whole Elder Scrolls thing TOTALLY WORTH IT!

That's what I was thinking.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
11. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Jun 28, 2015, 18:11 Silicon Avatar

There's law and then there's having to live next to some who despises you.

For $800 it wasn't worth having a neighbor hate you IMO - not when you were flying a drone over his property. The entire thing could have been resolved with a request for permission.

The law was right - you can't just shoot crap when you don't know what it is. That's the height of stupidity and the first thing you learn not to do in gun training.

The dude flying the drone was still a goober. He crossed over an unspoken rule of country living.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 27, 2015, 23:56 Silicon Avatar

Oh yeah. I remember CompUSA.

When ours closed all the good stuff was already gone. The store had sold it to some closeout outfit and all they had left on sale was junk.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 27, 2015, 14:31 Silicon Avatar

I thought support for XP had already run out.

Despite all the griping about MS they did a ton to help PC gaming.

I'm looking forward to Win 10. I ran Vista for ages and Win 8.1 too. They were both okay OSs if you understood what to expect.

Vista got a black eye because MS changed the driver models and many vendors refused to update their drivers until Win 7, when MS forced them to. Win 8 got a black eye because MS introduced a new UI and spectacularly failed to explain it or tune it for PC desktop.

Win 10 will probably be the next Win 7. It'll be the OS everyone has.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 26, 2015, 18:31 Silicon Avatar

Most of the stuff I've Kickstarted has come through and has been pretty good.

With that said, I'm not that excited by Kickstarters anymore. It was fun to revive a few things but now I am sort of bored with the concept.

I don't know if bored is the right word. Fatigued maybe? I dunno. "Over it." I guess.

Maybe it's just me.

General Discussion > 20 Years Of Bluesnews
7. No subject Jun 26, 2015, 16:29 Silicon Avatar

Wow.. Yeah. I think I used to come here for Quake news or something. It has been so long and my game interests have changed a lot... But I used to really be into FPS and I think that's how I got here.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Jun 26, 2015, 14:32 Silicon Avatar

Creston wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 13:06:
panbient wrote on Jun 26, 2015, 11:01:
Wasn't the op-ed about how Steam should just stop selling product for a week / month / whatever so the writer could deal with their backlog also on kotaku?

Is being a wanker a requirement to be a writer at that site?

Yes.

Someone should write an article called "Stop reading Kotaku."

Here, let me write it:

Stop reading Kotaku,
by Creston

Dear all,

Stop reading Kotaku.

Sincerely,

Creston.

This article deserves its own link on Blues.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 26, 2015, 10:15 Silicon Avatar

Putin doesn't want anyone to know the old CCCP had a cooler logo than the current CCCP.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jun 26, 2015, 10:07 Silicon Avatar

Someone is going to take the hit on a bad game. Pre-orders and day 1 sales are basically the same thing so I don't know what the writer is picking on pre-orders. You can't trust most "professional" reviews, so you have to wait for word of mouth if you want to be safe and guess where word of mouth comes from? People who bought the game first.

As for swag, most people don't want to pay $500 for a hand crafted blaster pistol on Etsy, no matter how cool it is. They want to spend an extra $60 -maybe- and then play with the same collector's toy everyone else got. That's the official thing - that's what collectors want.

Pre-orders are not the problem. Bad game releases are the problem and they have always been the problem - just like with any other product.

This story should be called "Clueless writer misses the point then states obvious for 5 pages and calls it a day."

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Jun 25, 2015, 20:03 Silicon Avatar

Hah. Cool - that guy got his game for bottle caps. That's pretty funny really.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 25, 2015, 19:57 Silicon Avatar

I'm fine without multiplayer.

I'm glad Bethesda is knocking out these kinds of questions early. I hate it when developers string people along.

News Comments > GMG Arkham Knight Refunds
4. Re: GMG Arkham Knight Refunds Jun 25, 2015, 14:00 Silicon Avatar

Sounds like a real mess. Other developers should take note. This costs them in money and it costs them in reputation.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 25, 2015, 00:57 Silicon Avatar

{PH}88fingers wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 23:28:
yeah I will have to research a bit I guess.. So far all I'm coming up with is the Acer, but I dunno about Acer.............

new acer gsync ips

EDIT:
Looks like Asus is coming out with one:
Asus ROG Swift PG279Q WQHD 144Hz IPS Panel and G-sync

Acer is kind of a "value" brand. I'm trying to be nice here (unless they've changed). I had an Acer scanner. It was "okay". I remember it had a pretty annoying quirk but I forget what it was now. I just remember it made me never buy Acer again.

Asus is a well established vendor with a long reputation of making good stuff. I have an Asus monitor right now and it's been great. I've had Asus motherboards, Asus video cards, Asus monitors... I've never had trouble with Asus.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
16. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 24, 2015, 21:58 Silicon Avatar

This feels like one of those "first to market not best to market" scenarios for HBM.

If my 6950 runs FO4 at all I may just wait until next year and get one of the next generation cards. By then glitches will be worked out, DX12 and Windows 10 issues should be mostly somewhat worked out, and the good mods will be coming online so I can see what will truly be needed.

I was a little hyped at the announcement of the Fury but it's lackluster and now I just feel like waiting.

Maybe the Nano will blow me away but if it's like the Fury X and priced too high then meh.

I've read a lot of forums now and that kind of seems to be the general sentiment over it.

11. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 24, 2015, 14:17 Silicon Avatar

jdreyer wrote on Jun 24, 2015, 13:21:
Well, few people buy the top end. The question is, can they compete at the mid-high and mid-range? As long as they price their cards right, they should do okay.

But, yeah, they need a new fab process. I think this is the 5th series at 28nm?

We've seen amazing advances is graphics hardware, and AMD going away will end that. Here's to hoping they can pull through.

Right now they can't compete there either. Their mid tier cards use more power and are slower than Nvidia there too. All they can really do is try to sell people on 8GB of video RAM which, from what I've seen in reviews, doesn't do anything because it's never used in 95% of games.

Unless Fury Nano pulls it out or they reduce prices across the board they are in a world of hurt as far as retail sales to enthusiasts go.

Don't they supply graphics chips to most of the consoles right now? Maybe that is where they make their money these days.

I agree though, I don't want them to fold up. At the same time when I go to buy I want the best bang for the buck and AMD doesn't have it. I'm not going to buy AMD just because I want them to stick around producing alsorans..

Maybe if they lower prices. Maaaaybe if Fallout 4 can use a full 8 gig of video RAM. Then I might consider AMD.

3. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 24, 2015, 10:54 Silicon Avatar

So Fury X costs around the same as a 980 TI, doesn't perform as well, and it consumes more power too?

It seems like a loser out of the gate unless they ratchet all the prices down in a hurry. This card seems "meh" for the price point - am I missing something?

Major Thanks to Tech Power Up for showing scores in resolutions people actually play at.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 24, 2015, 10:01 Silicon Avatar

Fans don't know what fans want until they try it.

They will all yell and scream like children who don't want to eat their peas but if the new product is fun and not glitchy then it might sell and maybe a new franchise spin-off will be born. That's more $ for Nintendo.

If it bombs, then Nintendo makes a new, normal Metroid game next time and all but the most petulant fans come back.

I suspect they have savings to burn so they can take the hit.

Smart business IMO.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 GotY Becomes Director's Cut
17. Re: Wasteland 2 GotY Becomes Director's Cut Jun 23, 2015, 21:50 Silicon Avatar

I played WL2 and got to see the Three Amigos and some dudes who like to blow themselves up. Then they really started laying out the game patches and I decided to wait to continue and I kept waiting and now there's this upgrade so I'll just keep waiting. My saved game is probably so old it doesn't work now but that's ok. I think I glitched a quest and didn't get the resolution I wanted anyhow.

I'll check out the revised version. Quirks sound cool and the game was fun (or what I played of it was).

1782 Comments. 90 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo