Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ColoradoHoudini

Real Name ColoradoHoudini   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ColoradoHoudini
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ex NetQuaker..ex 3Wave and Thunderwalker CTF'er (named: Houdini). Played Tribes for Western Alliance, Counterstrike with Frag University (the original FU). Played ET, BF1942 etc...
Old school gamer, ex military.. lived all over the US
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 20, 2003, 00:24
Total Comments 1345 (Pro)
User ID 17782

User comment history
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

News Comments > Section 8 Stats Portal, Trailers
8. Re: Section 8 Stats Portal, Trailers Aug 27, 2009, 22:49 ColoradoHoudini

another item i don't think I touched on up above..

There are 4 CP's (bases you capture).. and side missions (Convoy/VIP/Commando/Intel). If you're on a 32 player server, this severely divides up the action locations. Also, those side missions always seem to occur (at least in the beta) in the same locations. It's a bit too much and requires a bit too much coordination for a public game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Section 8 Stats Portal, Trailers Aug 27, 2009, 22:30 ColoradoHoudini

Okay.. you asked for it.. here are a ton of my replies to various questions and topics as posted in the official forums:

--it should be noted.. that i played a TON of Tribes 1, XMP, Planetside, and Quake Wars.. all those games have been influences in Section 8..the devs admitted to this.

-Are there different armour classes which fit different tasks??
---- Absolutely not in the game. As I said before, there is no certain class to play. I can be anti armor and anti personnel with 1 loadout.. and be effective at both. While this sounds good on paper, in action, it's not very conducive to a good gaming environment. There is less risk vs reward, less commitment to making the right decision. Did a tank just kill you while you were fighting a player? Well then, spawn on top of the player with an anti armor loadout to go along with your anti personnel loadout. If I can be anti armor and anti personnel in one loadout, there's less of a reason to play with a team-first mindset.
===============================
I want cool weapons, hopefully disc shooter and sniper amongst them
---- The sniper rifle in this game is woefully ineffective and works on things it shouldn't, for example, I can easily take out deployables/fixed stations with a sniper file. This is terrible and/or the devs way of making up for the fact that this gun in underpowered. However, if they upped the damage, they'd have to remove the lock-on auto aim console friendly targeting system this game has. The rifles are bland if not underpowered and sometimes too effective at range (you might rather choose to use the assault rifle at long range over the sniper rifle.. so far, it's been better for me, and i was a pro Tribes sniper). Other times they are too low on the damage scale (I can pump 3+ seconds of machine gun rounds into someones back, from point blank, and they still have a fighting chance.. modules or not, this isn't acceptable)
You'd also have to factor in terribly low damage, with what seems to be a terrible hit scan. Combine those two and you'll be one upset monkey.

There is no semi-decent gun like the Tribes disc launcher..being.. something that hits hard, moves slower and maybe has a tiny blast radius.

The grenades in this game are a joke.

The mortar is not usable indoors.. Tribes/Planetside/XMP heavies cry in this direction. Also, the mortar is not a class-specific loadout. As I stated before, there aren't any classes. so you could carry around a sniper rifle, assault rifle and a mortar. I think I have that right.
=========================
-Question about - various equipment, portable turrets, stealth packs, cams, radars, jammers etc
The turrets in this game are abysmal in every way. From not being able to deploy them unless you're somewhere there is open air space (not many places at all that are worth placing them), to being underpowered and made of paper. You do not, and will not fear rocket or anti personnel turrets in this game -no, you won't. AA seems decent though. Pick a good spot outside your base and drop one.. hope the enemy doesn't see the AA sweep range on his map.

No stealth, that could be fun, but i'd save that for a game with CTF and large bases where you need to infiltrate. This game -so far- doesn't have many choke points to surpass, bases are wide open. Which also makes turrets destroyable from too far away, and dare i say, almost useless.

No cams.. again, if we had true big bases like in Tribes/XMP/Planetside, then sure. They'd serve no purpose in this game however.

Jammers are here and do work to a degree. In general I think too many people are visible on the map at all times regardless if there are jammers and detectors or not.

more on turrets:
-They take too much damage, and too much damage from weapons they shouldn't (see sniper rifle taking down turrets)

-They need to be deployable indoors in an area where you don't need open air. Otherwise, there are only a few normal spots you can put them and every enemy with a few hours of gametime will always know where you put them.

-They don't have enough health/armor/shields

-They hit like a silly little schoolgirl with a broken wrist.

-They can be outright ignored and do not invoke fear or require any sort of attack planning to outflank or outmaneuver them
======================

========================
-Atleast 32 player maps, pref 64
with 4 CP's and side missions always kicking off, you could have 64 players.. could. That might make base capture and defense something worth doing. Right now with known smart beta players trying to play the game the right way, I can go through several rounds on defense and not see many opposing players as they don't need to come capture my cp in order to win or get points/money. If you had 32 players and 3 cp's and gave the advantage in points and money to the team with 2 cp's.. then we'd see some awesome base fights like we saw in those other games I mentioned. So far, and again, with the right smarter beta players, I don't see that. But I have only played around 200 rounds - sarcasm-
=====================
Good UI and preferably guild system integrated

The UI for S8 looks exactly like any UI you'd fine in any console FPS..that's not a good thing. You feel like you're playing with Sesame Street font for kids with special eyeglasses. Not a game breaker, but surely does not fit well with the game.
===============
In response to the sniper r
ifle

I am not saying make it kill people with 1 shot.. no. What I'm saying is:

1. It's too powerful vs stationary objects.. in fact, it's nearly on par with damage done to stationary objects as it is to people with the right mods.. and I think this is right.. vs a Rocket Turret.. I can take that down in less shots than a person.. that is unacceptable.

2. I'm saying if you upped the damage it does vs people, then remove the damage it does to deployables/fixed.. and remove the lock on. This is my provision in the event the devs ever mull over the idea of upping the sniper rifle damage. There has to be a trade off ya know.

Is the support role (as the devs called it) for the sniper to be a gun that appears to be better at taking out deployables/fixed than it is for taking out people? For "bothering" most players and killing some? Is there a reason why it has the ability to lock on?

I love the sniper rifle.. but i think it's purpose is misleading and it's useful for something other than what it should be used for.

Do this tonight, drop in in the middle bottom of Relay.. and sit there all map and take out the enemies AA turret over and over and over. Then when a person comes up to repair it.. shoot him a few times.. then hide. Do this over and over again and tell me how or why this is fair to them. You can do this nonstop with the sniper rifle.. it's purpose is not detailed enough and you can do more with it than you should be able to.
Make it anti people.. right now it's partly anti people and too useful vs structures.

Which brings up this question:
Does the RL have an effective range or does it drop off after a while of being in the air?
===================
Me responding to this game not having a commander per side:
The problem you're going to have with that is when you tell someone to stay at their defensive post.. and there's no action there. I am as disciplined as they come when it pertains to my objective in a game, and still I find myself bored out of my skull because of a lack of action at my CP. Too many other distractions for players (good and bad). I leave, I go goof off or at least, get some kills. My post is abandoned and as I have stated eloquently in a number of posts, base defenses aren't even enough to augment defending, never mind holding a point for their own for a few seconds.

Now, if you have a problem keeping me in the base defending, you're surely going to have a problem keeping Joe Attention Span Disorder back on D covering. You could make me the side commander and even with well thought out, poignant, clear directions and a specific path the victory.. I am not going to get full cooperation.
============

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 2009, 22:36.

3. Re: Section 8 Stats Portal, Trailers Aug 27, 2009, 20:46 ColoradoHoudini

When we get a Section 8 gold thread... i will post my review in that.. and my review is NOT favorable at all.
Thsi game comes so close to getting it right, but what it gets wrong, is infuriating.

News Comments > Section 8 EU Delay
4. Re: Section 8 EU Delay Aug 26, 2009, 20:49 ColoradoHoudini

I have a TON of stuff to say about this game.. in fact, i'm writing a review of the open beta right now.. just waiting to finish it and i'll post it here.

This game could be SO much better.. but fails in a lot of places that will have you pissed at what could have been.

News Comments > Raven Layoffs [Updated]
9. Re: Raven Layoffs Aug 26, 2009, 20:47 ColoradoHoudini

I always liked the SoF2 MP.. seemed very, very well done. I wish they'd take that team and make a future'ish FPS.  

News Comments > Command & Conquer 4 Facts
6. Re: Command & Conquer 4 Facts Aug 25, 2009, 22:32 ColoradoHoudini

Fact:
I like C&C and will like this game.
-shrug-

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Simultaneous PC/360 Release
12. Re: Mass Effect 2 Simultaneous PC/360 Release Aug 24, 2009, 20:00 ColoradoHoudini

I have a feeling i really missed something in not playing Mass Effect and KOTOR..
i fail don't i?

News Comments > WoW Cataclysm Videos
7. Re: WoW Cataclysm Videos Aug 21, 2009, 19:19 ColoradoHoudini

Well, I am interested.. I wonder what Archaeology will entail though? Anyone want to hazard a guess.
Worgen.. for Alliance?? lies!! I want them on Horde.. keep Goblins neutral and give Alliance.. err..err..well, I got nothing.

So now all the old zones will be phased? If i don't have the expansion, and I'm walking around the barrens, and you have the expansion, and you're in the barrens.. i am to assume we will be able to chat in whispers, but not interact or see any sort of public chat?

5 levels eh? so they are finally understanding people just race to teh cap and start gaming from there eh?

News Comments > RAGE "Awesome on Mouse and Keyboard"
18. Re: RAGE Aug 21, 2009, 12:09 ColoradoHoudini

You want pc games to get better. Stop pirating! Enough said. Why would someone work their anus off for a few years to have 50% of the take eaten by pirates. I am sorry guys...the truth is the truth! I Would do consoles as well.

I could pirate 360 games right now... why is pirating of ps3/360 never mentioned?

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Trailer, Details
23. Re: Guild Wars 2 Trailer Aug 20, 2009, 22:29 ColoradoHoudini

No rails?
and you can jump?
and that trailer looked sweet...
i hope they clean up the interface to make it dare i say.. WoW-like.

color me interested.

News Comments > Gold - Aion
17. Re: Gold - Aion Aug 17, 2009, 19:22 ColoradoHoudini

Well, I haven't been paying a lick of attention to this title because I thought it was another generic asian MMO, created by asians..and rather not well-built.
after watching some videos, reading some stuff on it, and checking screenshots..
this game might warrant me testing it out.

News Comments > Section 8 Beta Expands
14. Re: Section 8 Beta Expands Aug 13, 2009, 18:04 ColoradoHoudini

Okay wtf.. i am just now hearing of this game?
anyone have any thoughts on it? I am going to try to jump in the open beta tonight..
looks neato.

thoughts? examples of size/battles compared to other games?

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2009, 18:08.

News Comments > NCsoft Soars
11. Re: NCsoft Soars Aug 12, 2009, 23:02 ColoradoHoudini

okay... not just me then.. good. thought the beer was making me go something something.
*crazy?
don't mind if i do!

News Comments > NCsoft Soars
6. Re: NCsoft Soars Aug 12, 2009, 18:58 ColoradoHoudini

Is it just me or do all NCsoft MMO games (and wasn't NetDevil a spinoff or related to them somehow?) all look the same?
Like the they all use the same pallet, art style, etc...

Auto Assault felt cheap and cheesy like CoX.. like jumpgate evolution sort of looks like.. like Aion does.. like Champions Online does..like Tabula Rasa did (does? still going? haha)

None of the respective MMO's from those two companies look and feel different to me.
anyone else get that feeling?

News Comments > Mechscape Plans
10. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 9, 2009, 21:23 ColoradoHoudini

Unless this is incorrect.. we needn't worry about this game at all:

http://mechscape.wikia.com/wiki/MechScape

"MechScape is an upcoming browser-based game being developed by Jagex Ltd. Its development started in 2006. "

please tell me i'm reading that wrong and this will actually be a regular mech MMO.

5. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 9, 2009, 15:28 ColoradoHoudini

This may all be null and void anyhow.. my first post mentioned that this is probably a browser-based game. At least, that's what i found when i did a search for this title.

If that is true.. we can forget this game even exists.

1. Re: Mechscape Plans Aug 9, 2009, 11:43 ColoradoHoudini

I am all for a mech-based MMO. Now, I have no clue how in the world they start you out and you level up.. I mean, looking at other mmo's you start out small, killing lowbie things.. lowbie quests.. but what's a low-end quest for a guy in a 20 story robot?

Perhaps their fresh approach means they aren't going that way?

I'd hazard a guess that the game would be large right off the bat, not much in the way of lowbie stuff. I would love some massive mech battles though.

Is this true "MechScape is an upcoming browser-based game being developed by Jagex Ltd. Its development started in 2006. "
wtf? hell no... if that's true.. hell no.

News Comments > Champions Online Pricing
23. Re: Champions Online Pricing Aug 6, 2009, 01:20 ColoradoHoudini

Bigger question :

Is the game any good at all? will it have lasting power? Will ti give me a reason to login night after night, or more than 3 times a week.. or whatever you consider "often" is?

CoX was as shallow of a game as I have ever played..if C.O is the same.. then no thanks.

News Comments > Huxley Beta Opens
3. Re: Huxley Beta Opens Aug 4, 2009, 19:01 ColoradoHoudini

I'm hearing that this game has microtransactions, has a lobby in which you pair up with people in.. then go into combat.. in your own instanced area - there's no large MMO world (think of the instanced areas of Guild Wars) and the game lacks much of anything other than CoD 4 style stats that makes the game persistent in any sort of way.

Can anyone here with a solid MMO/FPS background gimme the scoop on what this game is really about, I'd appreciate it.

I'm really getting the feeling it's not an MMO in the sense of everything an MMO brings to the table, but a persistent UT type game. If that's the case, it's a shame, I could really use a good MMOFPS.. like Planetside 2.. but way better/deeper.

--I don't have time to download it/play this semi-open beta just yet

News Comments > On Borderlands Graphics
14. Re: On Borderlands Graphics Aug 3, 2009, 21:30 ColoradoHoudini

You fellas do realize that regular/old school blues readers are perhaps the smartest of the gaming community and nothing gets passed us, right?
So while we see right through the fancy talk around, how many dummies out there are pissing on themselves because how neat this game looks? The hype they are throwing out and getting back.. etc.

We're experts (I can safely say, a lot of us are indeed).. but think of the normal gamer, even semi hardcore gamer.. they are years behind us.
We don't get fooled, we know the ins and outs, the developers, their history, their best and worst, we've been there since they started, we're still here when they leave. We have the technical know-how and years of astute experience to dissect every little nuance of every game and person associated with said game.

sweet jesus, we're the god damn gaming paparazzi.

1345 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo