Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ColoradoHoudini

Real Name ColoradoHoudini   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ColoradoHoudini
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ex NetQuaker..ex 3Wave and Thunderwalker CTF'er (named: Houdini). Played Tribes for Western Alliance, Counterstrike with Frag University (the original FU). Played ET, BF1942 etc...
Old school gamer, ex military.. lived all over the US
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 20, 2003, 00:24
Total Comments 1342 (Pro)
User ID 17782

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > RIFT Event Extended
4. Re: RIFT Event Extended Apr 10, 2011, 19:40 ColoradoHoudini

Still having a great time in this game.. currently the guild is only on the 2nd boss of Greenscale, but it's still fun for us. Lots of expert rifts and raid rifts too.

Good to see them making certain that this event goes off smoothly.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Section 8: Prejudice BTS Trailer
2. Re: Section 8: Prejudice BTS Trailer Mar 21, 2011, 20:59 ColoradoHoudini

I said this on VE3D today, and I've been saying ever since I got in the beta a few months back. It's a chaotic mess that tries to do too much at once and as a result of that, the action turns into a series of small battles fought for mostly useless bases (more like gas stations to me), and slightly larger battles at the DCM's.. which kick off all too often.

S8P is as if someone asked a kid what he wanted in an FPS, and then the kid said "everything, at once, and don't make me have to execute with any thought".

In beta, with people that supposedly knew what they were doing, the action was still far too spread out, the map becomes a round of "cap base, lose base, don't bother to defend these useless bases anyhow, another DCM kicked off, and another, and yet another"..
There really aren't any tactics involved, your deployables die way too easily, and it plays out as a race to get the vehicles and then go mow down the idiots that are walking.

Is it worth 15 clams? Meh.. i'd pay $9.99 if I knew they opened it up for modding and there was a very active mod community.

Oh, and the fanboys at S8 are some of the most game-stupid people I have ever run across. Pardon me for saying this.. but it's like they game forum access to every 14yr old console asshole kid.. and then, listened to them as far as building an FPS.

News Comments > Tribes: Ascend Announced
39. Re: Tribes: Ascend Announced Mar 11, 2011, 22:15 ColoradoHoudini

If I remember correctly, and I do.. Unreal XMP used the Unreal engine.. it was a Tribes-like game, in fact.. that game was flat out awesome.. the one huge drawback was that the engine was a pig when it came to big outdoor areas.
With that in mind.. I am leery of a larger-scaled Tribes game using any of their engines.

Sure, things could've changed since then.. but I am wearing my "skeptical pants".

News Comments > RIFT Launches
41. Re: RIFT Launches Mar 1, 2011, 21:15 ColoradoHoudini

Personally, I'd rather there not be a trial out.. or if there is, tie it into a credit card but don't charge anyone. Gold sellers (or in this case, platinum sellers) thrive in the free trial account world.. no thanks.

I hadn't even played the game before I preordered it, just reading the forums and watching videos jazzed me up enough to buy it, glad I did.

Also, to the guy who said it was DOA.. way wrong.. over 1 million subs and seems to be growing. Nothing but great reviews for this game from reputable people who went in with an open mind.

I for one am glad such a polished MMO exists out there.. fresh enough, but familiar enough.. flat out awesome.

/goes back to playing

35. Re: RIFT Launches Mar 1, 2011, 18:14 ColoradoHoudini

Last bit for now.. gym time..

I just finished up in the Scarwood Lift area.. an invasion hit the Defiant area, attacking our wardstone, and the Guardians had about 20 people come attack us at the same time!
it was epic PvP and PvE.. defend the wardstone, kill the mobs, get those other players! I watched as about a dozen+ Defiant players came down to help on the lift.. like reenforcements from the military! (the lift is like a giant .. well, lift.. it runs about 300 yards.. bottom area to another questing zone.. and our team formed up, came down as a group and helped fight the 2 different groups of invaders.

Then I watched as more help zoned in through the Porticulum's (think flight path, without the flying, it's a warp gate from major areas to other major areas)..full fledged PvP going on!

So yes, there is world PvP.. and it happens. In beta in the level 35+ areas, we would have roving teams of PvPers just to defend/fend off the other faction who were trying to gank our Rift chasers.. much fun!

34. Re: RIFT Launches Mar 1, 2011, 18:04 ColoradoHoudini

Cutter:

No, it's not, not even close. The crafting is shallow as hell and pointless. And so is the class system which are all but slight variations on the same archetype for the most part.

umm..
The crafting is great, and the gear I'm making on my Runecrafter/Outfitter/Butcher is very useful gear indeed. it might be +1 in the various stat categories, but that's enough on it's own. Then.. since my main is a Mage.. I throw in the augments for intelligence and get even more bonuses for my use. So I craft a belt at level 28, it's better than what I can get from the same-level instance (Deep Strike Mines).. and i toss in an augment, and now it's even better.

Slight variations in classes? Are you even playing this game at all?
The variations between my main 3 specs (Mage) is very, very obvious..
all the damage types are different (fire, death, life), the mana/health returns are different, the DoT's/HoT's are way different, the rotations, the buff returns, the AoE types, the party buffs, the self buffs... what in the world are you talking about?
Then my alt is a rogue.. he is a pet-heavy offense, or more doing damage himself.. hell, I might even just tank by myself instead.. respec and do some typical stealth attacks.. hell.. I might just go Saboteur and throw bombs on people! Are you even playing this game at all?

I have a DPS mage that does good DPS, can Crowd Control and heal myself and others..or.. do impressive DPS, do big damage AoE's.. or hell, scrap all that and do impressive AoE healing.

When that's all said and done, I can just pick up the pure PvP soul and pair that up with 2 other souls and make myself even more viable in PvP..
Seriously.. "slight variation" is a very shallow statement on your part.. the callings/souls in this game can be mixed and matched a tons of different ways that result in a number of different and obvious outcomes.

33. Re: RIFT Launches Mar 1, 2011, 17:54 ColoradoHoudini

Preface: I was a day 1 WoW hardcore raider..from MC thru the LK.. hardcore, I played a ton. I got bored in Cata.. just didn't appeal to me any longer.
I jumped on the Rift wagon during Beta 3 and sweet jesus I love this game.
So much to do, see, explore..
From massive invasion fights, to boss battles to defend wardstones, to damn well done dungeons, to a spectacular character builder, to the puzzles that give rewards, character role swapping, to the exploration rewards, to the cairn rewards, to the PvP battles, to the giant Rifts, .. god dammit.. I just love everything about this game.

I bet my hat that the first time any of you whom haven't played this game get into the starter zone and experience your first Rift or invasion, you'll be hooked. When you see 80+ players defending an area, and going in mobs to areas to clean house on spawned mobs.. hell, just laugh as the Rift mobs attack the regular mobs in the game, that's hilarious! When the ground trembles and your screen shakes and you just know there is a boss spawning somewhere.. and everyone gets there.. huge epic battles.. just awesome.

I honestly love this game a ton.. it's amazing. Everything it does, it does perfectly. Every time you think "I should be able to..." yep, it's there!

News Comments > RIFT Interview
1. Re: RIFT Interview Feb 28, 2011, 21:46 ColoradoHoudini

100% solid game, amazingly fun from top to bottom.. just flat out awesome. I encourage everyone that enjoyed GW, WoW, EQ etc... to try it out. It does everything right and really feels like it has a longterm playability to it.

If you're an MMO fan (well, you probably already are playing this game on the preorder headstart).. get it.

News Comments > NetDevil Layoffs?
4. Re: NetDevil Layoffs? Feb 24, 2011, 11:26 ColoradoHoudini

Next up... NC Soft and Cryptic.. the 3-headed hydra of pure MMO suck.

(aside from the spin off that made GW/is making GW2)

News Comments > Rift Trailer
4. Re: Rift Trailer Feb 14, 2011, 22:01 ColoradoHoudini

Very awesome and fun game.. so much to do, so many class variables so many PvE variables.. good PvP (so far).. open beta tomorrow, get in, I promise you'll love it.

I hope this game keeps it's legs.. it has long term potential for sure.

Quests, Rifts, invasions, footholds, 10-man raid rifts, larger raid rifts, specialized -lured raid bosses, world bosses, dungeons, regular raids, scaled dungeons (go back and redo the lower ones at 50 with a dungeon that has evolved)..and then however PvP shakes out - I had some killer fun with PvP in the last beta.. in the level 35 area.. just awesome.

News Comments > Warhammer Online Server Closures, Free Transfers
8. Re: Warhammer Online Server Closures, Free Transfers Feb 8, 2011, 17:21 ColoradoHoudini

Once Rift goes live.. I fear that the remaining few in Warhammer will opt right out.

the 40k MMO better be mind blowing.

News Comments > BlizzCon 2011 Announced
6. Re: Anaheim Again? Feb 8, 2011, 00:08 ColoradoHoudini

Just surprise us and show us a trailer for a VERY soon to be released MMOFPS based in a new universe.  

News Comments > Rift Open Beta Event Next Week
16. Re: Rift Open Beta Event Next Week Feb 8, 2011, 00:07 ColoradoHoudini

Absolutely loving Rift in nearly every way..
Last night a ton of us were world PvPing (Scarwood), riftchasing, fighting off invasions.. just awesome stuff.. never a dull moment, lots of rewards, lots of dying and laughing.

Tons of class options makes me actually want to try most of them.. the spec swapping, the way this title gets everything nearly perfect in presentation and usability.. I'm sold.

News Comments > EU Dungeon Siege III on May 27
5. Re: EU Dungeon Siege III on May 27 Feb 3, 2011, 16:05 ColoradoHoudini

I will nab this up.. good time wasting game.
Love the gear too, and oddly enough, I love doing inventory management in this title too.

News Comments > Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers
17. Re: Blizzard Takes On Gold Sellers Jan 29, 2011, 12:34 ColoradoHoudini

I sure hope Rift has a system in place to deal with gold sellers.

News Comments > Third Section 8 Game Plans
7. Re: Third Section 8 Game Plans Jan 24, 2011, 22:26 ColoradoHoudini

The S8:Prejudice beta was rather.. bland..boring. Again with more capture/recapture nonsense.. bland and boring "capture stations".. I refuse to call those bases. More spread out action all over the map and no real choke points or high action spots of conflict (except the NON FREAKING STOP) DCM's.. which kick off way too often and feel very watered down.

The game (as I last played it) felt like it was made for ADD children that just ran from shiny object to the next shiny object.. shame too, the game (on paper) has promise.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Guardian Revealed
15. Re: Guild Wars 2 Guardian Revealed Jan 23, 2011, 12:33 ColoradoHoudini

Alamar wrote on Jan 23, 2011, 01:30:
Looking forward to the official page on the matter...

Nonetheless... GW2 is pretty far off, and while I'm looking forward to it, I'm not obsessing... Yay me ; )

On a slightly related, maybe, note, If you haven't tried Rift yet, and still need a key... Try http://www.curse.com/keys/ to get a key... Need a curse acct, but since, if you want to try Rift, you likely already have one for WoW/WAR addons, that shouldn't be an issue... And a Trion acct for the game (shocker)...

Anyhow... Cya in game on Tuesday : )

Looking to try a mage myself... Warlock primarily, Chloromancer to try out the healing mage... : )

oh and rift.zam.com has a 'soul builder' for those that like to see the 'talent tree's beforehand... Just be warned... There's a lot of variety up in there.

-Alamar

I'll be playing Rift.. yes sir I will be

News Comments > Morning Previews
4. Re: Morning Previews Jan 17, 2011, 21:29 ColoradoHoudini

disclaimer:
I have yet to play Rift, and I am not a spokesperson..

Having said that..the invasions, the guild rifts, the PvP Rift battles, the raid rifts-whatever you want to call them.. sound awesome. Making people fight in order to get control back of areas from the NPC's.. in order to get quests/play there.. awesome. The seemingly unlimited amount of class options.. fantastic. Seeing new mobs, new fights, new areas.. I'd like that.
I like how they took the things I like about other MMO's and incorporated them.. and from what I have seen so far, did it better.

I'd like to keep playing WoW.. but starting new (I have an 85 shaman.. but I'm bored and don't raid any more.. and PvP in WoW is garbage) and seeing the same stuff/areas again.. and being SO far behind the curve in the game, and playing in empty zones.. no thanks.

So for me.. trying out Rift makes sense.

News Comments > PlanetSide Next Nears
14. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 16:55 ColoradoHoudini

that Orion game came out of nowhere..  

News Comments > PlanetSide Next Nears
2. Re: PlanetSide Next Nears Jan 17, 2011, 11:07 ColoradoHoudini

I hope they pull it off right..
The market needs a larger-scaled FPS. there's Firefall.. but too many idiot jackass carebear, FPS-stupid dumbasses are looking to RPG or do PvE only/mainly content in a larger FPS.
Also, until i know otherwise, Firefall is one-faction with instanced PvP.. in a game lore that doesn't support that theory, and that idea is fucking awful anyhow. Scare resources you say.. let's be one faction and fight in an arena! lol. (god I hope that changes)

1342 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo