Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ColoradoHoudini

Real Name ColoradoHoudini   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ColoradoHoudini
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ex NetQuaker..ex 3Wave and Thunderwalker CTF'er (named: Houdini). Played Tribes for Western Alliance, Counterstrike with Frag University (the original FU). Played ET, BF1942 etc...
Old school gamer, ex military.. lived all over the US
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 20, 2003, 00:24
Total Comments 1327 (Pro)
User ID 17782

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial
23. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 7, 2012, 22:30 ColoradoHoudini

I quit playing after reaching 50, and having done PvP pre 50, post 50 and getting into Ilum PvP after it was supposedly looked into.
PvP outright stunk..
the end game content was blah..
I just felt like they made a heck of a single player game, and forgot about the massively multiplayer experience.

I was a hardcore WoW gamer til the end of Wrath after killing the LK..I did raiding and end game in Rift.. I have a great feel for what to do at end game, and TOR did none of that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 at GDC
3. Re: Unreal Engine 4 at GDC Feb 27, 2012, 22:03 ColoradoHoudini

Unreal XMP2 or GTFO.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans
39. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 20:15 ColoradoHoudini

Jivaro wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 16:35:
I am not saying that this game is OMGWTFBBQ!!!!111!! awesome or anything...BUT...

I think some of you complaining about burnout and lack of content in the same sentence need to evaluate how much time you spend playing one game in any given day. I mean, I am not sure how any developer can reasonably be expected to make a game that will keep the attention of folks that are willing to put in 4+ hours a day/7 days a week for months or years at a time...right from launch. I just don't think its possible.....

Then the devs are severely missing the desires of a large part of their audience. TONS of players race to the top level, and want to see epic content and do epic things.. this is nothing new. More recently, there was Rift. It had zone events, expert rifts, raid rifts, Greenscale Raid.. world open pvp in a constantly contested zone, the various puzzles, a MUCH better AH that SWTOR, a much more varied skill tree. It had less money thrown at it than SWTOR.. yet I found myself playing Rift a TON more and for longer than I have SWTOR. I also believe that Rift introduced 1 and 2-man dungeons.. citing people not having anything to do at max level (raiding was out of their scope).. but they still wanted to play. What's there to do at 50 in SWTOR if I don't raid? umm.. world events? zone events? 1/2 man dungeons? There is PvP.. and it stinks for the most part.

Seems i really am talking myself into reinstalling Rift..haha

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans
38. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 20:08 ColoradoHoudini

A timeline, if you will-

I was so against the game before I got in the beta.. way against it, it looked dull in animation and look. I joined most of you and countless others bashing the game. Then I got talked into the beta, loved it, bought it. Ate come crow.

Got my Imperial agent to 50, enjoyed some of the leveling up, got tired of the side quest voice dialog (skipped most of that past level 35 or so)..absolutely HATED the back and forth and back and forth of my class quest line. Constant running around was not in any way amusing. HATED the bugged (and I think, still bugged, class boss battle on a ship -no spoilers-.. and how long it took me to counter bug that fight to make it work.

I did some PvP along the way, totally misjudged the IA Sniper mechanic and ended up hating the idea that for my guy to be really effective in PvP he has to SIT STILL behind a big red shield. Oops.. my bad. Then the class mechanic bugs with my "roll to cover" not working or my "take cover in place" not working.

Got STEAMROLLED pre 50 in PvP.. often.. just rolled the heck over. Whichever dev thought it to be a good idea to have players with 19k health and ridiculous mitigation and big damage fight players with 12k health..ought to be fired. especially considering the field was never leveled.

50's got their own bracket, I was level 48.5 at the time, so I didn't get to enjoy the pre 50 PvP much anyhow.

Hit 50, stared at my guild (a WoW powerhouse raiding guild that had a few xfer over into SW.. some old faces.. etc.. gamers that were hardcore WoW raiders.. we raid.. we own content.. this is where I should be happy now.. right? Not one single bit.

I have not been motivated at all to log into the game at all.. the dailies blow, the PvP dailies are more of the same nonsense.. Ilum (the PvP world) was perhaps the worst implementation of world PvP I have ever seen in a game.. totally one sided vs the poor Repub.. then it just got boring as hell..nobody is there, it's capture.. get in.. get out.. go do something else.

I sit here with free time, and no games I want to play. Thinking of reinstalling Rift.. no kidding. I guess I'll just play BF3 for now -shrug-

tldr:
wanted to hate it
ended up loving it
got really bored despite this game being exactly what I'd want, on paper

dunno man, just felt like it missed the mark to me.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 15, 2012, 20:41 ColoradoHoudini

Is the AMD guy related to any of the goddamnawful business model that was the failure we've come to know as Bulldozer? If so.. I hope he was thrown out by his belt loop.
-reads article-

Oh.. graphics, never mind then.

News Comments > The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems
18. Re: The Old Republic Patch Live and Causing PvP Problems Jan 19, 2012, 01:36 ColoradoHoudini

We know every MMO has had these problems, but you'd think they'd address that issue.. ya know, being as it has been around since MMO Day 1.

Ever since I hit the worlds in TOR that have a chance of me seeing the other faction, I can make a pretty accurate guess and say that I have seen ..maybe.. 20 in total. That's across (best guess).. 4 planets, and now just having got to the last planet, I haven't seen one player of the other faction. We talk in general chat about how we never see the other faction. 2 nights ago on Belsavis two guildmates and I killed one Repub dude 3 times, by accident on the 3rd and he actually said "it appears I am the only target out here".. and we apologized as, hey, we will open world PvP, but when we see this faction imbalance, it's just ridiculous.

I dunno man, cross-server open world pvp zones? Maybe a cap.. but something high.. that the servers can handle and yet we still feel like it's a huge battle.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Goes Back to Karkand
39. Re: Battlefield 3 Goes Back to Karkand Dec 14, 2011, 01:19 ColoradoHoudini

Enjoying the maps a LOT!
Only gripe i have so far is if you don't have a vehicle, Wake is terrible to try to navigate.

Everything else is awesome.

News Comments > The Old Republic Early Access Begins
43. Re: The Old Republic Early Access Begins Dec 13, 2011, 19:34 ColoradoHoudini

my own copy and paste from a very recent SWTOR thread here:

So I was like a lot of you guys around here.. I saw all the videos from the past.. and the game looked like absolute poop. The animations looked stiff, the fighting looked terrible, the game to me had ZERO appeal. None. I enjoyed bashing it along with you all, I admit it, I enjoyed bashing a game I hadn't played yet.

Then a few guildmates of mine (from my hardcore WoW days) started talking more about more about the game in our FB group. Their impressions about the closed beta (without breaking the NDA:) They kept telling me how the game was being improved, that it's a quality title, that they promised I'd like it.. so after a thorough peer pressuring, I bought the game and got in on the beta.
(keep in mind, I was still super skeptical at this point)

I jump in the game and wouldn't you freaking know it, the god damn storyline grabbed me right off the bat. Why is this important? Never once in any RPG or MMO have I cared one bit about the storyline of my character or the world. I've been gaming for ages on the PC.. in RPG's/MMO's I just wanted gear.. to see new places/mobs.. level up.. etc. Here I was in SW paying attention to the 3 storylines of the 3 different classes I got to level 11'ish in the beta. I actually enjoyed the storyline and I want to see it play out for the 3 classes I played in the beta.. and I assume I will try the other classes too..just for the story. My storyline felt like it fit in with the world I was interacting with, I felt like my choices had consequences, and I always felt like I wanted to pick up the side quests I ran across too.

I played a Bounty Hunter.. Sith Warrior.. and Imperial Agent.

Other things I really liked:
1. The companions are awesome.. flat out awesome. From material gathering for your professions, to helping in combat..I loved everything with them. Keeping them happy is key..lol!
2. The PvP I did.. I rather enjoyed. It wasn't sticky or clunky.. I didnt lose control of my character a lot.. I felt like I contributed..felt good.
3. I felt like I was in a HUGE world. Transferring from area to area, boarding the fleet starships, I felt like I was a tiny player in a big world. I guess not knowing how big the world is (unlike in Rift where I saw the whole game map prior to playing) does/did help me think the game was absolutely huge--so that's up for change later.
4. The game felt intuitive.. what I thought the controls/UI/gameplay would do.. it did
5. The skills worked very well for me.. I never felt like I was missing something, or needed a different skill at my level in order to tackle the content. I felt like my attacks were varied and fun.
6. The quests worked well with the groups.. and I REALLY liked how if you were in a group with someone, and they were turning in a quest.. you could Holocall? (some virtual call) with the NPC your grouped partner was talking to. I felt like I was in a thriving MMO environment.
7. They had some tougher low end quests (not related to your storyline) that you needed to group to do. Finding a group for it was simple too. The rewards seemed above par of my current gear by a good bit. A just reward imho.
8. The loot drops I got always seemed to be the right level gear drops.
9. Travel was fine and in no way did I feel like I was wasting time running around.

Okay.. well, I don't know if that helps anyone at all.. but yeah, I went in with disgust on my mind.. I was ready to bash the game, I fully admit that. I was thrown for a loop, and look forward to playing early and often.

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 2011, 19:41.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer; Launch Events
18. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer; Launch Events Dec 10, 2011, 14:02 ColoradoHoudini

Ant -- I think it's this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzW810NvGt4

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Trailer; Launch Events
16. My Impression Dec 10, 2011, 13:33 ColoradoHoudini

So I was like a lot of you guys here.. I saw all the videos from the past.. and the game looked like absolute poop. The animations looked stiff, the fighting looked terrible, the game to me had ZERO appeal. None.
Then a few guildmates of mine (from my hardcore WoW days) started talking more about more about the game in our FB group. They kept telling me how the game was being improved, that it's a quality title, that they promised i'd like it.. so after a thorough peer pressuring, I bought the game.. and got in on the beta.
(keep in mind, I was still super skeptical at this point)

I jump in the game and wouldn't you freaking know it, the god damn storyline grabbed me right off the bat. Why is this important, never once in any RPG or MMO have I cared one bit about the storyline of my character or the world. I've been gaming for ages on the PC.. in RPG's/MMO's I just wanted gear.. to see new places/mobs.. level up.. etc. Here I was in SW paying attention to the 3 storylines of the 3 different classes I got to level 11'ish in the beta. I actually enjoyed the storyline and I want to see it play out for the 3 classes I played in the beta.. and I assume I will try the other classes too..just for the story

I played a Bounty Hunter.. Sith Warrior.. and Imperial Agent.

Other things I really liked:
1. The companions are awesome.. flat out awesome. From material gathering for your professions, to helping in combat..i loved everything with them.
2. The PvP I did.. I rather enjoyed. It wasn't sticky.. or clunky.. I didnt lose control of my character a lot.. i felt like I contributed..felt good
3. I felt like I was in a HUGE world
4. The game felt intuitive.. what I thought the controls/UI/gameplay would do.. it did
5. The skills worked very well for me.. I never felt like I was missing something, or needed a different skill at my level in order to tackle the content.
6. The quests worked well with the groups.. and i REALLY liked how if you were in a group with someone, and they were turning in a quest.. you could Holocall? (some virtual call) with the NPC your grouped partner was talking to.
7. They had some tougher low end quests (not related to your storyline) that you needed to group to do. Finding a group for it was simple too. the rewards seemed on par
8. The loot drops I got always seemed to be the right level gear drops.
9. Travel was fine and in no way did I feel like I was wasting time running around.

Okay.. well, I don't know if that helps anyone at all.. but yeah, I went in with disgust on my mind.. I was ready to bash the game, I fully admit that. I was thrown for a loop, and look forward to playing early and often.

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Interview
15. Re: Torchlight 2 Interview Dec 6, 2011, 22:17 ColoradoHoudini

I prefer TL2.. and I am a big Blizz fanboy.

I am probably not adding anything to this discussion. I'll show myself out

News Comments > New Epic IP Reveal Saturday
11. Re: New Epic IP Reveal Saturday Dec 6, 2011, 00:26 ColoradoHoudini

Unreal XMP 2 please!

News Comments > BRINK Free Weekend
25. Re: BRINK Free Weekend Dec 2, 2011, 17:17 ColoradoHoudini

Ya know.. i wonder if any SD devs/worker bees read this site and see our comments (I'd imagine some would, right?) and they see our words and deep down, I want to hope they learned a lesson and will next time, come out with a really good PC FPS. --watch them go make a console game now.. lol

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Patch Plans
16. Re: Battlefield 3 Patch Plans Nov 19, 2011, 13:49 ColoradoHoudini

I'd rather not chance it with random dummies and voice chat 9see xbox community chock full of idiot kids).. so I use Ventrilo with some real life buddies..I thought most of us did?
-----------------
I think I may have crashed once in all the hours I've been playing. I really don't have any problems outside of the lighting, good to see that's being addressed.

Very happy I picked up this title.

News Comments > BF3 Tactical Light to be Toned Down
8. Re: BF3 Tactical Light to be Toned Down Nov 14, 2011, 22:19 ColoradoHoudini

Glad to see them fix this.. it was a bad game design from the word go.  

News Comments > New BioWare Franchise Reveal Next Month
6. Re: New BioWare Franchise Reveal Next Month Nov 7, 2011, 22:50 ColoradoHoudini

wtf_man wrote on Nov 7, 2011, 22:39:
They're making a new "RPG"... without character creation... without dialog choices... without experience points... without skills... without leveling... without magic... without melee... without quests... without story... must be purchased on Origin... AND most importantly... can't use a keyboard and mouse (must use gamepad to mash the "A-Button-Does-Something-Awesome" )

... And it's going to be called... "Mass Age of Defective Dragons 13: Not Another console Sequel... Really!"

Oh... and you get 1 hour of Game for $60... and have to buy 35 different DLC's at $29 a pop, that are about 20 minutes of add-on, before you get a full game.

I think you're being cautiously optimistic.. if not also slightly sarcastic and damn handsome.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 3, 2011, 22:01 ColoradoHoudini

It still boggles me that AMD took a look at the current Intel line, and the very soon Ivy line.. and said "screw em, we'll sell a slower CPU for more money!"

That was their game plan?

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Status Report
10. Re: Battlefield 3 Status Report Oct 31, 2011, 23:30 ColoradoHoudini

I do really like it too, and I was ready to not like it. I admit, I was looking for issues to hate on the game.
Well, here I stand corrected, the game is a blast.

I do have one issue though.
the god damn lights/sun!! The flashlights in your face during the middle of the day, the laser sight that is always in my eye, the sun and the godawful amount of lensflares/blinding light, and just the other lighting in general.. they really jacked it up to a 10, and across the board, they need to globally knock it down to a 4.

Or.. does anyone know how to legally fix this, outside of adjusting the overall brightness?

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2011, 23:37.

News Comments > Sunday Previews
2. Re: Sunday Previews Oct 30, 2011, 22:33 ColoradoHoudini

The one drawback that Planetside 1 had to me (and it was hardware/technology unrelated) was that it lacked character depth. I needed a bit more to do for my character.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Reviews
80. Re: Battlefield 3 Reviews Oct 24, 2011, 21:44 ColoradoHoudini

Just bought a new machine for this game and a few others..hope this is something worth playing!  

1327 Comments. 67 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo