Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for ColoradoHoudini

Real Name ColoradoHoudini   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname ColoradoHoudini
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Ex NetQuaker..ex 3Wave and Thunderwalker CTF'er (named: Houdini). Played Tribes for Western Alliance, Counterstrike with Frag University (the original FU). Played ET, BF1942 etc...
Old school gamer, ex military.. lived all over the US
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 20, 2003, 00:24
Total Comments 1342 (Pro)
User ID 17782

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha
6. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 19, 2014, 20:43 ColoradoHoudini

All i need is new maps, the old weapons, and for the community to be able to map and mod again.

Keep vehicles in vehicle-only maps, and give me back the glory tht was the orginal UT. It was near perfect, you really dont need to remake the game and make it friendly for the console fucking moron crowd that has ADD and needs everything now and shiny and in fucking abundance!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jun 20, 2014, 20:13 ColoradoHoudini

As a cybersecurity person..actual title - Information Assurance (and have been for the better part of 20 years- in some capacity)..
We're only seeing more and more jobs open up, more businesses needing us, paying us big.. and when people refuse to employ/deploy our services.. they will be hit and hit hard.

Security isn't a good "after the fact" measure to bolt on, it has to be baked in for the best results. Failing that, never applying defense in depth, good backups, auditing, etc.. will cost many people and companies.

We're finding shortages of qualified IA analysts/engineers.. and that's in the DoD in a HUGE military town - Colorado Springs.

News Comments > Defiance Returns to TV Tonight
7. Re: Defiance Returns to TV Tonight Jun 19, 2014, 21:10 ColoradoHoudini

I tried to like this show, hell, I'm a nerd and a geek.. this is right up my alley.. but I was absolutely let down everywhere I turned.
God awful acting, campy special effects, forced dialogue. It looks like a poorly thrown together, straight to dvd sci fi flick by a first year film student.

Anyhow, for my cheesy sci-fi aliens-esque shows.. Falling Skies does it for me.

News Comments > WildStar Beta Open To All
33. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 16:38 ColoradoHoudini

Ceribaen-
It's different for sure! I heal on my Esper, and I have telegraphs and AoE non-targeted heals. For one of my heals, it lays down a long strip of healing space in front of me. To you as someone I want to heal, you'd see a green line.. something like 25 foot of a green space. If you stood in it, you'd get healed. So for me, I need to line up people I want to heal with. It's not simple as just clicking and healing. However, there are healing spells that are click and heal, ans well as AoE heals you'd find in other MMOs. The telegraph system is pretty cool though, it's different.. it makes you have to position yourself correctly, and not just sleepwalk through healing like I have done in other MMOs.

Creston- The game has so much more than just end game raiding.. but the devs have said that for end game raiders, they will have a good challenge. Will there be a big enough base to sustain the game.. I don't know. You could say that about any MMO that doesnt already have a base. Look what Rift did.. unknown IP.. came in and did well. I don't see why Carbine can't do that with Wildstar.

I'll say this.. if Blizzard/Valve made WS.. it'd be insanely popular.

32. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 16:32 ColoradoHoudini

Gadzooks wrote on May 8, 2014, 15:27:
Reasons I wont be playing Wildstar after having been in the beta for several months:

1. Game performs AWFUL. Very close to release and the devs still say "We havent optimized the game yet" Sorry, this close to release, there isnt going to be a magic patch. No reason that a cartoon game should drop to under 30 FPS at ANY point in the game on a high end system.

2. Game blatantly is aimed at you being higher level in order to have fun. This isnt typical WoW "You cant do raids and stuff until max level". This is "The game is boring as hell for the first 35 levels". Even WoW had fun gameplay at low levels. It just wasnt raid content with uber gear. Games should be fun from the moment you log in, and wildstar... isnt.

3. Large PvP is an unbalanced mess and a ridiculous AoE spamfest. Watch how in the first month of release, everyone in PvP will be medics and engineers.

4. Quests in the game are more dull and boring than quests in WoW were at release. "Run around the room and find me these 4 books" Really? How is this fun? Not to mention, most quest chains seem incomplete and have no real finale to them. Do step 1, then step 2, then step ... wait... no step 3? What? Thats it? Sigh.

5. The sheer lack of video options and forced video settings is absurd in a modern day game. Overuse of bloom and full screen glow effect, blurry filters, and awful view distance make this game a headache to look at. Unless this up coming beta adds new video options that let you enable/disable these things, there is no excuse for the game NOT to have them.

Those are just the 5 main reasons I wont be playing Wildstar at release. Maybe in 12 months, after they have had time to really finalize the game, add things needed, and fix stuff, ill give a try. I hope its still a sub game then, because I really hate F2P. Cant help but thing it will be F2P by then however, since the game doesnt make a great first impression.

1. the game was optimized in this release. Also, on my old i2500k, 6970, 16gig PC.. the game runs without a single hiccup.

2. I have fun and I'm not raiding. I have fun doing the Dungeons, the Adventures, the Shiphands, the group quests, the PvP, the challenge quests, the path quests, building my house, doing events at other peoples houses (yes, you heard that right), and general questing.

3. I've had fun in PvP. In both PvP battlegrounds I've done, the flow has been good. The multi stage of the second battleground gave the fight a good flow.

4. See 2

5. I have zero video issues and the game looks great for me.. and I'm on an older system.

22. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 14:47 ColoradoHoudini

EvilAsh-
You nailed it! Thanks for coming and posting.

Darks:

I don't doubt that the game may end up with more casual friendly raiding.. but that's a gamble that as of right now, the devs are willing to take on.

on F2P:
I hate the F2P model and hiding things behind the paywall. I also have my own personal opinion that F2P is a devs way of saying "we give up..we can't or won't create more content". The content isn't worth charging for and they couldn't justify making people pay for nothing to do. Like in GW2.. there's NOTHING to do at level cap. Oh another cheap 3 minute fashion show quest.. done. Now what? You can't charge for nothing to do. SWTOR was a failure and they couldnt charge for it after a short while.

WS has things to do for everyone.. raiding aside. It might not be 15 worth of someones money for the content (subject to their interpretation).. but 15 a month for me is 1 lunch. WS gives me much more entertainment for that price. I may not have time to hardcore raid, and even with that in mind, I know that there are more casual guilds out there that cater to what I can put in effort wise.

I normally agree with what most Bluesnews people say regarding games, but this time around.. I am against the grain. I think WS is an amazing game and it has longevity. So much so.. I am nervous about picking my main because I feel that I could be playing one toon for years! I had no such anxiety picking my Shaman in WoW..but had I known I would've played that game for years.. my class decision would've made me a nervous wreck!

13. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 13:04 ColoradoHoudini

Nobody in the community is calling it a WoW killer.. nobody who is worth listening to is that dumb. It will be a better raiding game for hardcore players who want a challenge, that I will say for sure. In fact, Blizzard already came out and tried to mention how their raids are more accessible, for everyone.. etc. I saw a link the other day.. can't cite at the moment.

Game will sell well..I suppose. I don't know enough there.

I suppose, like most MMOs/big games, there will be issues at launch. I have seen the devs quickly address game-breaking issues in beta though.

The only people I see turning against the game are those that can't get into a raiding guild and do raid content. However, those people won't be level 50 in a month anyhow. Then.. when they hit level 50, if they complain, these are the EXACT people that I've seen in every other MMO who come back with this total absolute horse shit:
- I shouldnt have to play with others to see all content (forgetting how MMOs work)
- Guilds all have issues (right, it's EVERY guild and not you? it's you)
- i hate playing with others ..you should change the game to what I want. (go play a SPRPG)
- why do they have to make the content so hard (you knew that going into the game)
Every reason the complainers have will be garbage, selfish, narrow-minded useless complaints. absolutely rebutted by the community.. and the devs alike.

In fact, someone tweeted the lead dev about lowering the difficulty in the dungeons.. to which his one word reply was "no". This dev house is aiming for a certain harder core demographic at end game. Is it enough to sustain the game for years? Nobody knows yet.. but they're gonna try.

If someone is an MMO gamer (WoW, GW2, Rift, ESO, whatever else).. and wants to play something better.. I'd suggest WS.

EDIT----
Open beta launch trailer.. yes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7I1Z6a_FA

This comment was edited on May 8, 2014, 13:14.

10. Re: WildStar Beta Open To All May 8, 2014, 12:24 ColoradoHoudini

Disagree with the negative posts wholeheartedly. I feel that Wildstar has captured every bit of magic I was looking for in a new MMO.

Wildstar is a very, very good game. It feels familiar to WoW because some of the WS devs are former WoW employees. The game looks familiar because it's a good look for the content, it will age well (unlike hyper realistic MMOs). The look fits the universe and type of game it is.

The classes are fun to play (I am not a melee/close combat guy, but I love the Stalker..and I very much enjoy the other classes I play as well. I am torn between a Spellslinger and an Esper right now. During this open beta, I plan on giving my Medic a good run as well.
The telegraph system is a good change of pace and allows more dynamic movement..and it makes people stay on their toes. The dungeons are HARD. This is no walk in the park for free gear like the current WoW model is running with. You need to be good and on top of your game to complete content. However, if you're not a dungeon guy..there are Adventures, which are really "dungeon-lite". Give gear, rewards, bonuses.. see neat content and feel like you're part of something. Also, there are Shiphands.. where you can go into your own 1-man "instance" and complete content.. and yes, get good rewards from it.

PvP is great too (and I'm not a PvP guy). No one class feels overpowered that I've played (all but Engineer to level 12)..everyone feels like they contribute. If you havenít seen the Warplot videos, do yourself a favor and absolutely watch them!! I love the idea of pre-fabricating my base with my other Warparty members.. I get to outfit my base as we see fit for PvP.. awesome! Then the idea that you can capture raid bosses and bring them into your Warplot to attack or defend..haha, awesome!! The bonus is that your boss can fight the enemies boss. I don't care who you are, if you're old school.. and remember WoW bosses.. imagine bringing Nefarian in to fight C'Thun ... dude.. that would be amazingly epic to see.

The game "feels" right. In SWTOR, my character felt "light".. disconnected from the environments he walked on, no "oompf".. but in WS, it just felt right from the first time I logged in. The paths are fun to choose from (I've done 3 of the 4). As a Settler, I was getting requests in chat for my buff stations..to which I replied "I need help in this area collecting items for the buffs".. and people came over to clear out the mobs. You might as "why did you need help?" The reason, even the mobs can be tough. If you use the old WoW model.. there are regular mobs, weaker mobs you could AoE, then tougher mobs, then elite-type mobs.. all mixed in. Identifiable though.. and the harder mobs give better rewards.. but the content isn't mind-numbingly boring, it can be challenging. Being a Scientist was cool.. scanning and learning about the mobs and environments. Being a Soldier required some help in the later areas.. as you spawn waves of mobs that come to attack something you have to defend. I always had people coming to help with the Soldier stuff, never felt alone, and always rewarded. My coworker loves being an Explorer.. but he's the type of guy to check every nook and cranny of a map. His Exploring unlocks more areas for the rest of us to find.. good teamwork there.

If you're into raiding, that stuff looks amazing. I've watched a bunch of vids and talked to beta-testing raiders, and they like how it's tough. You get that sense of accomplishment again. I don't see an issue with getting 40 people for a raid.. in fact, there are a lot of guilds recruiting for raiding. We raided a decade ago in WoW, without the tools we have today (social media/resources) and without really knowing the requirements (time/effort).. I don't see that being an issue in Wildstar. Everyone who wants to raid in WS knows what to expect.

The community is great.. the devs are amazing.. best devs I've seen in any game- regardless of genre.

If anyone has any questions.. I'll do my best to answer. I know I sound like a fanboy, but I am reasonable..I know a great game when I play one.

edit-
If you're not into raiding, there is still plenty of stuff to do for everyone. So while this game aims at the top end for raiding, they hit all the marks elsewhere as well.

This comment was edited on May 8, 2014, 12:30.

News Comments > WildStar Open Beta This Week
13. Re: WildStar Open Beta This Week May 6, 2014, 22:19 ColoradoHoudini

If the game chatter, Wildstar subreddit and the official forums are any indication.. people want to run 40mans again, myself included.

People are modding for this game, making user maps, databases, build matrices, number crunching, data mining.. this game has a FULL suite of players behind it.. doing everything you'd want a community to do.. it's awesome! As I scour the PvP server forum, there are a lot of hardcore raiding guilds looking to build their ranks.. so far, it looks like this game will have the right population with the right mindset.

This game is NOT for casuals who want to be carried, get free gear, and do everything with little effort.. this game is weeding out the punkasses that cried and complained that they wanted to see everything, beat everything in WoW and thus, turned WoW into a walk in the park. Even coworkers i showed WS to said "I'm leaving WoW.. this game looks like the right fit" 'This looks tough, i want a tough game again.. with real accomplishments".. I'm with them, the devs said as much.. and they made the right game.

The game feels "right"...does it look like WoW a bit? yep.. is that good? up to you.. but I love the look, and think it works perfectly for the game type/environment.

I ran my first level 20 dungeon last weekend.. I was healing and holy hell was it tough! "trash mobs" are not trash.. in fact, we wiped on a few trash pulls, and more than once. It wasn't impossible, but it made you pay attention. No more sleepwalking your way through kiddie garbage content. The dungeon was built very well, flowed well, lots of side items, extras.. etc. We eventually cleared the dungeon, and i felt rewarded.. something I havent felt since our server first WoTLK hard mode kill..years ago.

Hard content aside, the every day goings on in the game were great. Side quests, path stuff, Adventures, random tough mobs, PvP, random elite mobs, world bosses, etc.. then if you're a PvP fan.. check out the Warplots videos.. that stuff looks awesome, and I'm not even a PvP fan! I love the idea of conquering raid bosses, then bringing them into your warplot to use against the enemy.. then, if your enemy has a raid boss, the two can duke it out..haha, awesome!

Crafting is damn solid.. works well. Professions are perfectly fine, and housing.. haha!! omg, that's something I never cared for in an MMO but I love it in WS. My coworker built a house, and put challenges in it. I completed a challenge and got loot for my house!

This game does all the little things right.

To the people complaining about getting 40 people together, we did it in WoW. That was a decade ago, and we did it before people really knew what the time and effort requirements were. We did it without many of the social tools we have today.. we did it without a lot of the gaming resources we have today.. and we'll do it again!

edit- Ps: if 20 or 40 man raiding isnt for you.. then... don't do it Go run Adventures, veteran dungeons, PvP, Warplots, regular dungeons, world bosses, crafting, questing, build a cool house, do challenges with your friends..
Just because the game has tough raiding content doesnt mean that's all there is. There's a LOT of game here in Wildstar. Keep your chin up, cupcake!

This comment was edited on May 6, 2014, 22:36.

News Comments > BlizzCon 2014 Tix on Sale Wednesday
1. Re: BlizzCon 2014 Tix on Sale Wednesday May 5, 2014, 22:39 ColoradoHoudini

Anyone have any idea on what they are showcasing?
If it's WoW-related.. it's a lot more of the exact same.
If it's Starcraft..yay.. i guess for those fans. I just dont see how anything Starcraft related would be 'amazing' or 'must see in person'?
If it's Diablo.. go screw your yourself Blizzard.

Now.. if it's a new IP.. okay, i'm interested. Not interested enough to pay 199.99 for a ticket to see 3 games I already know a lot about

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Road Ahead
43. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Road Ahead May 1, 2014, 21:45 ColoradoHoudini

Guys.. seriously.. Wildstar.

Keys for everyone.. no excuses not to play this weekend!!

www.hiddenarena.com/content.php?345-Weekend-Beta-Keys-for-May-2nd#.U2L4o_ldV8E

News Comments > Next Call of Duty Teased; Reveal on Sunday
8. Re: Next Call of Duty Teased; Reveal on Sunday May 1, 2014, 21:39 ColoradoHoudini

I am wondering when the next big AAA title FPS that comes out as moddable shows up..
Imagine if the next UT was everything we wanted in the native game itself, but also was moddable and absolutely supported from the devs as such.. sigh!

i wonder if anyone but us FPS vets would even care if it was moddable/make maps for? I mean.. say you're some 24 year old gamer who has really only known BF/CoD.. would modding even be something you'd remotely care about?

News Comments > WildStar Beta Key Giveaway
8. Re: WildStar Beta Key Giveaway Apr 30, 2014, 20:34 ColoradoHoudini

A better link for everyone to use to see how to get keys.. from which country.. etc. (less hoops to jump through)

www.hiddenarena.com/content.php?345-Weekend-Beta-Keys-for-May-2nd#.U2GV3vldV8E

I am consistently impressed with Wildstar. I'm actually watching some raiding videos right now on my other monitor. The amount of content for all levels of players is great.
Looking forward to more playtime this weekend.. woot!

Edit- I cant hyperlink the link above.. for whatever reason "too long" URL? I tried the right format.. still nothing

News Comments > Legit Elder Scrolls Online Accounts Banned
58. Re: Legit Elder Scrolls Online Accounts Banned Apr 22, 2014, 21:33 ColoradoHoudini

If you guys want a good new MMO.. Wildstar is open beta this weekend. Just go to the website, sign up for an account.. throw your name in the hat for the beta.. boom, youre in.

Best MMO i have ever played (thus far). It's not free to play (THANK GOD)..but 15 a month will be nothing if you get tons of time out of this title.. and you will.

Seriously.. Wildstar is awesome right now in its beta form. Free to playtest this weekend.. get on it. Stop messing around with substandard BS like ESO.

News Comments > BlizzCon 2014 in November; Ticket Sales Next Month
4. Re: BlizzCon 2014 in November; Ticket Sales Next Month Apr 22, 2014, 20:32 ColoradoHoudini

/derailment for a second because i dont see a thread about this--

If people here are looking for the next big MMO and a VERY well-built one at that, Wildstar is opening up the beta to ANYONE that signs up for a beta account.
This weekend, they are opening the beta again (back to back beta weekends).. get in for free.. try it.

I think any of you that enjoy MMOs will absolutely LOVE everything this game has to offer.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack
30. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 20:11 ColoradoHoudini

Oh I get the free to play aspect, but from a content perspective, I just couldnt fathom seeing everything that WS has to offer and thinking "nah, I'll stick to GW2"

Besides, $15 a month is nothing at all..but I get it.

I hope they NEVER go F2P.. good lord I hate that model. I want WS to stay 15 a month...and keep out all the negatives that come with F2P games.. no gracias senor!

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack
28. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 19:38 ColoradoHoudini

I'll be very interested in how GW2 survives after Wildstar releases. Offering everything GW2 does and a LOT more, I just don't see how anyone who plays GW2 and then the WS beta would stick around to play GW2.

News Comments > Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep
18. Re: Elder Scrolls Online Launch Prep Apr 3, 2014, 21:35 ColoradoHoudini

coworker of mine, a gaming guy like the rest of us.. gave it a few test runs in various betas, and he said "just skip it.. it's not nearly as good as Wildstar".
He, like many people said.. "it feels like a few other people playing Skyrim with me"

I normally give games a test run myself, but I value his gaming opinion, and after we played Wildstar, he said that it's WAY better in every way vs ESO.

I WANT ESO to thrive.. competition is awesome! But I am hearing it's just not that good vs what's out there already, and what's coming soon

News Comments > WildStar Bonus Beta Weekend
10. Re: WildStar Bonus Beta Weekend Mar 29, 2014, 13:52 ColoradoHoudini

Old WoW hardcore raiding vet/Rift raiding vet and someone who got bored with GW2 at level cap here:

I love Wildstar. It just does everything right. The look and feel is familiar but fresh, the graphics are solid, the characters/animations/world.. all feel very well done. I am really digging this game.

News Comments > PC Battlefield 4 Naval Strike Delayed
21. Re: PC Battlefield 4 Naval Strike Delayed Mar 25, 2014, 23:24 ColoradoHoudini

About to pick up Titanfall and when that happens.. BF4 is leaving my SSD.. no thanks.
i had too many headaches, frustrations, issues, unplayable times, disconnects etc.. i should be more than 90% happy with the game, and i am at 50%.. that's way too low.. bye bye.

--at least I enjoyed the Titanfall beta.. so when i find it for cheap.. i'll nab it...then switch to Wildstar.

1342 Comments. 68 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo