Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rob

Real Name Rob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname rkone
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 3152338
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2003, 04:39
Total Comments 317 (Amateur)
User ID 17763

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: What's My Pirate Name (1-3) May 4, 2004, 12:23 rkone

Listen up, because you're talking to Captain Roger Rackham

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > It Came from E3, Part 0
51. Re: No subject May 3, 2004, 19:56 rkone

I must say, this post seems to have brought out the best of you all.

News Comments > Codename: Panzers Demo
23. Re: Towing Isn't New May 1, 2004, 12:33 rkone

It's not new, but the controls in this game are far more intuitive than in at least Sudden Stike. Sudden strike doesn't have different armour strengths/damage levels for different sides of tanks either, which is pretty cool also.

This comment was edited on May 1, 12:35.

News Comments > Codename: Panzers Demo
22. Re: Panzers Demo rocks! May 1, 2004, 12:29 rkone

I beat the mission on my first attempt. Of course, I didn't lose my supply truck, and my medics died only after I found out you can capture the enemy's supply tents (which repair and resupply everything). I found for the most part the AI is kinda dumb, you can setup a trap, move one guy into the enemy's visual range and retreat quick, the computer will come run after you to his death.

The controls take a bit of getting use to. Here's a hint for moving: don't move guys selected with a big box. Instead get everyone to follow another unit, with one unit leading, and move that. Otherwise you get units going through streets you haven't explored because the selection "formation" that they started off with won't let them get one space closer to fit everyone on the same street.

News Comments > DoJ Goes Pirate Hunting
79. No subject Apr 23, 2004, 00:08 rkone

The problem with 'cracking down' on pirates is that there's more than enough people waiting in line to take their place. Fastlink shuts down nearly 100 individuals? I doubt that'll even slow the pirating down. Just like the music industry, this problem is only going to get worse until the consumer gets more value by paying. Better copy protection (cd keys to allow single player streaming content?), rapid enhancements/updates frustrating and confusing would-be pirates, etc. I guess high-speed internet is going to have to be much more popular, but that will happen soon enough.

Re: "i pirate the shit out of games"
I must say it's only fair that if game developers can characterise pirates as fat slobs, then pirates have a right to characterise game developers as "greedy sleazy metrosexual bastards". Heh, damn that description immediately reminded me of Cliff Blezinski wearing those Mr T. necklaces...

43. Re: ESPN ad Apr 22, 2004, 10:21 rkone

Luckily, I've only got that ad once. I immediately closed my browser when I realised you couldn't close the ad.

News Comments > On Half-Life 2 Delays
16. Re: Misleading news Apr 19, 2004, 10:07 rkone

Does no one remember the DNF screenshots with the tentacles killing guards, or the movie with the dancing stripper at the end?

Hmm, guard killing tentacles...

Nah, I don't see how anyone could draw a comparison between HL2 and DNF.

27. TPB's Apr 15, 2004, 14:59 rkone

Anyone going to be catching the Trailer Park Boys tonight at 9:00pm EST on BBCA? As a Canadian, I've been watching the show for a while now, but it'll be great to catch them all from the beginning without missing an episode..

News Comments > Game Movies
5. Re: No subject Apr 7, 2004, 08:31 rkone

I'm thinking of buying the last two just so I can rip out the worst parts and remake the rest into one movie.

I'd call it "Matrix Resolved".

News Comments > New Audigy 2 Drivers
30. Hmm Mar 30, 2004, 01:56 rkone

After my live, I swore up and down that I'd never touch another Creative product again. I've been happily using my "SoundMax" onboard soundcard, as it does 5.1 better than my live did. My center speaker is now used outside of DVDs, and I preferred standard sound panning to the live's EAX.

Now you guys tell me that the Audigy 2 has fixed most of the live's problems. Sounds like I may have to go back to the dark side...

News Comments > Pandora Tomorrow Demo Tomorrow
11. Re: XBOX Demo Plz Mar 24, 2004, 16:43 rkone

XBOX demo of SC:PT

Apparantly the messageboard doesn't think much of this game

News Comments > SC: Pandora Tomorrow SP Demo
29. Re: No subject Mar 18, 2004, 01:13 rkone

The four routes are in fact there but the level design dictates that you have to start on the roof, then through a baggage car, then underneath the train, then in a passenger car, then clinging to the side, then in back inside, then back on the roof for a quick escape. No choice what so ever, your on rails the entire time. It's still fun and all but this was my major complaint with the first Splinter Cell and doesn't appear to have been remedied despite what the previews had said

Hmm, I thought the same thing, until I read this - I went through the passenger car after turning out the lights, I couldn't figure out how to go on the side...

News Comments > Monkey Island 5?
5. Re: Eh Feb 23, 2004, 10:38 rkone

I liked the fourth better than the third, which is to say I thought it wasn't totally stupid. The controls were obviously made for console, if you played the game with a gamepad was actually better.

The first 2 are classics, both are among the top 10 adventure games.

17. Re: Media of the day Feb 12, 2004, 12:59 rkone

You're not missing much. The guy walks around like an infectious disease, gets 5-6 others to act like him. Then it ends. Funniest part was him walking in on his co-worker with the panties.

59. Re: Trojan games Feb 11, 2004, 00:06 rkone

Actually, McD's had poutine for a while, but it was a special - their menu doesn't normally include gravy.

Burger King and Harveys has fries & gravy, but the best fries and gravy is KFC. It's a shame I can't stand eating chicken off the bone. I guess I'm a girly man too..

66. Re: No subject Feb 2, 2004, 13:06 rkone

Err, actually its true regardless. Not all apps can benefit enough from the extra registers and generally wicked instruction set to make up for the extra 32-bits they're pushing around (and don't need.) Just my experience working on the 64-bit cpus, starting with the original Itanium years ago. This has gradually improved over time, but I don't see anything in the near future that will make small, non-register starved apps do anything but run slower on 64-bit.

Ok, 64bit instructions take up more cache, yes. Other than that, they won't cause any decrease in performance.
OTOH, doubling (8 to 16) the number of registers available will allow compilers to make code with far less memory load and store instructions. And any program that can't use more than 8 registers, is likely going to fit in L1 quite nicely (thus not suffering any performance loss).

But hey, don't take my word. The CPU is available - so is some software, and as such, so are some benchmarks:
http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=60000256

Make sure you read the conclusion:
More interesting is that two applications, MiniGzip and RSA encryption see performance double, probably because these applications work with 64-bit integers. DES and DIVX show 5 and 17 percent performance improvements, respectively. Most developers we talk to say that faster 64-bit integer calculations will only benefit a very limited of applications, but most applications are more likely to benefit from 16 instead 8 registers, with performance increases ranging from 15 to 30 percent. This kind of optimization would make a 2.2 GHz Athlon perform like it was a 2.6 or 2.8 GHz chip.

34. Re: No subject Feb 1, 2004, 19:49 rkone

On 64-bit, some apps will show a huge speed increase when built and executed 64-bit, typically math/memory intensive apps. High end 3d apps like Cad/Cam and such are the types of apps that can realize large speed increases. Most apps will stay about the same speed, and some will be slower. Generally, if you don't know if you need 64-bit or not, in all likelyhood you don't.

That would be true if it weren't for other enhancements the X86-64 architecure brings - I'm talking about extra registers. With this, you generally will see an increase in performance on applications compiled for X86-64.

33. Re: 'puter questions Feb 1, 2004, 19:46 rkone

There's actually a 64 bit version of XP available, but they don't seem to be hyping it much...

That's because it's only for the Itanium processor. As I said, you won't be switching to Windows 64 for at least 1-2 years..

29. Re: 'puter questions Feb 1, 2004, 18:23 rkone

Hyperthreading is actually a lot nicer than the gimmick I expected it to be - it seems to make it impossible for a process (like a game hung at 100% CPU) to brutally starve another process (like the Windows shell), which makes life a lot more pleasant...

Hmm, I haven't noticed any change at all. I think you're just enjoying the benefits of a faster processor and more memory. Hyperthreading is really a transition technology. IMHO it's there mostly to start software developers on the road to optimizing their programs for multiple-cpu cores...

28. Re: 'puter questions Feb 1, 2004, 18:14 rkone

64bit processing is not here today. Yes you can get the CPU, but you won't be switching to Windows 64 for at least 1-2 years. It will happen though - even some Intel bigwigs have admitted that once Windows x86-64 is ready, they'll have product also.
I own a P4 (2.4@)3.0 Ghz, and have built a A64 3000+ system and played with it for a few days. I really can't tell the difference in 32bit software. I did compile a 64bit linux distro and installed the free beta of the 64bit win2k3 server for fun but had no serious 64bit programs to compare speeds. If I were buying today though, I think I'd go with the A64 system though, it's just as fast today without optimized software, and optimized software is coming.

One interesting thing is the A64 CPU fan varies from tornado to off. Partway into my first windows install, the fan stopped fully and it spooked me out a little. Compiling the linux kernel with the case closed brought the fan up to full speed - I'd expect gaming sessions would do the same unless you have a well ventilated case. At full speed it was a bit louder than my P4 fan. Thankfully this is the only time it was this loud, about half the time I had the system, the fan was off.

317 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo