Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rob

Real Name Rob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname rkone
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 3152338
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2003, 04:39
Total Comments 317 (Amateur)
User ID 17763

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: I'm not crazy! May 26, 2004, 21:58 rkone

The song is pretty funny. The monotonic part cracked me up. Sad thing is I recognize pretty much all the speach from the show...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. No subject May 26, 2004, 11:35 rkone

Well, I finally looked at the page's source today, and I found that adding mediamgr.ugo.com to my restricted site list fixed the page loading times. Now the page loads in a split second, before I had to wait at times 10+ seconds.

I'd prefer to support the site and get the ads, I don't even mind the daily passthrough ad anymore, but waiting 10 seconds before being able to scroll & read is just too annoying.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
19. Re: Demo May 26, 2004, 00:34 rkone

Agreed. The other option is to wait for the demo, and if you like it, you can buy it then. IMO, the previous id games used "test" versions mostly to show people that they need to upgrade their system. Better these people try out the test and find out their system isn't good enough before they pay money (and complain). Doom3 has been delayed enough that at this point, everyone can run it. Remember, Doom3 was designed for Geforce3-level video cards.

News Comments > Game Movies
3. Richard Burns Rally May 25, 2004, 03:22 rkone

Ok, who makes a rally movie showing the exact same run 3 times from different angles?

You could have:
- cut the size by 1/3, so more people would download it.
- increased the resolution of the movie, so people could see more details.
- shown different tracks, maybe some with weather effects?
- at least done different runs, like maybe one showing off car damage.

By the time the movie started its 3rd run, I was very annoyed. I closed and deleted the movie without watching the rest. Good job hyping me up for the game.

This comment was edited on May 25, 03:23.

News Comments > Singles Demo
14. Re: why not? May 24, 2004, 14:34 rkone

Honestly it kind of sucked imo. I mean you just do dorky things over and over in hopes of seeing a little t and a.

So it's a pretty good "Singles" simulater then.

This comment was edited on May 24, 14:41.

31. Re: Mimosa trees May 20, 2004, 22:48 rkone

I've used the server version of that Chenbro cases, it was pretty good. The Thermaltake internals are a step above when you're working with them I must admit, but unless you play inside your PC nonstop, it's not really worth the money. The only complaint I have about these cases is that they're monsters. If you ever move your computer, it's a pain. Aluminum makes it a little better, but again, it's much more expensive. I haven't used the Enermax.

As far as LCDs go, you really have to test them out for yourself. I've read many reviews saying LCDs are bad for movies and games, however comparing my LG L1810B (30ms IIRC) to my CRT side by side, the only thing I notice is that the LCD has much richer colour.

19. Re: Mimosa Trees May 20, 2004, 16:42 rkone

When they came and chopped it down we cried.

Well, ok. Just don't tell me you were also holding hands with Justin.

17. Re: Sega?? May 18, 2004, 15:14 rkone

Anyone else get the bug in IE where text is messed up when you try scrolling during page loading? All the text is there, I can scroll initially, but almost immediately something else loads that prevents anything new from being displayed while scrolling. Quite annoying because it takes anywhere from 5-10 seconds to get past that step.

Just now, and I watched the entire "Outlaw" movie ad before the damn frame and buttons finished loading for it (I'm guessing they had loaded just after the 'screen freeze' came into effect). The only other page that seems to do this freezing to me is the Ars Technica Infopop forums..

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Re: PCI Sexpress... May 17, 2004, 02:09 rkone

Man, it's about fookin' time! I'm ready to start upgrading a new system but I've been waiting on PCIE

RTFA. This chip won't support video cards - it's only a southbridge.

If you're buying high end, it always pays to bet on Intel anyway.

News Comments > New Urban Terror
6. Re: ANOTHER version? May 16, 2004, 23:15 rkone

I used to like it, but stopped playing it for a while.

When I came back to try 2.something, everyone was too good. Getting your ass handed to you by everyone in a game that makes you wait after dying is no fun.

News Comments > Crashday Delay
8. Re: Never heard of this May 11, 2004, 14:13 rkone

I think flatout looks much more promising myself.

This is just an updated "Stunts" game. I don't think the graphics are very good at this point.

News Comments > Crashday Delay
2. Re: Never heard of this May 11, 2004, 11:53 rkone

It could also use the top speed bug.

News Comments > Return of the Prince
36. Re: Shit May 7, 2004, 05:51 rkone

(I enjoyed the acrobatics though. They should make an acrobatics game )

They did. It's called ICO, and it's only available on PS2 :/

News Comments > Return of the Prince
23. Re: No doubt... May 6, 2004, 19:49 rkone

I'm agreeing with the guy who didn't like fighting. I'm guessing it's because I chose the highest skill level, but at the end whenever you fight you'd just get waves and waves of guys, it just ended up being tedious.

News Comments > More on the H-L2 Date
95. Re: 9800XT vs. Nvidia May 5, 2004, 23:41 rkone

As 92 and 94 show, there's just no pleasing everyone

78. Re: HL2 May 5, 2004, 15:52 rkone

Ah, you're right. I'm waving my white flag (which can be done best with PS3.0 )

Guess the hype machine got me (doesn't mean I no longer want it though).

69. Re: HL2 May 5, 2004, 14:56 rkone

Displacement mapping:

A technique that allows you to move an object's vertices so that, during the rendering process, the object's geometry is altered to create a bumpy surface. Unlike regular bump mapping, the edges are visibly raised and can cast shadows. The roughness of the 2D texture is used to adjust the degree to which the object's geometry is displaced. Displacement mapping only alters the object's geometry in the rendered image and not the scene, so you can create highly complex objects without having to actually model them.

PS2.0 cannot do this - that's the vertex texture feature which is only checked off under PS3.0. Visually 2.0 can approximate this effect with bump mapping, but when you get up close you see it's still flat (and looks wrong). Take a look at the unreal engine shakycam demo that was released with the 6800, and pay close attention to the brick walls.

62. Re: HL2 May 5, 2004, 14:12 rkone

They were comparing ps 3.0 to 1.1 in a Farcry devel engine demo. There is no patch for the retail game to support ps3.0.

The only thing that ps 3.0 added over 2.0 was displacement maps for the statue and walls. It does look better, but not nearly as much as the screenshots lead you to believe.

ATi's CEO has admitted that PS3.0 is important, but there should be no games supporting it in 2004. Well guess what, unless you plan on buying a new card in 6 months, PS3.0 will be a factor. My 9700 pro is 1 1/2 years old now, and I'm not complaining about the performance yet (Although the newer cards do look appealing).
My only issue with the 6800 is the amount of power it draws. That's the real showstopper. I think I'll wait for the 6950 which will only need 1 power connector and will be as fast/faster than the x800xt.

As far as the X800 currently being 40% faster in HL2, remember the X800 was leading by the same amount in farcry until the 61.11 drivers came out.. I don't believe performance on either card will be noticeably different when HL2 comes out (if it comes out during the 6800/x800 generation).

This comment was edited on May 5, 14:15.

News Comments > Halo CE Released
12. Re: coop May 5, 2004, 09:27 rkone

The mod tools have been released - take a look at the worthplaying link. Now if only I could find a mirror that works...

This comment was edited on May 5, 09:31.

16. Re: What's My Pirate Name (1-3) May 4, 2004, 13:07 rkone

nin, NIN, did ye not notice? That be the same little island we made you governer of on our last little trip...

317 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo