Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rob

Real Name Rob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname rkone
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 3152338
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2003, 04:39
Total Comments 317 (Amateur)
User ID 17763

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
134. Re: Matrix Jun 18, 2004, 10:39 rkone

the agents are trying to get the codes for Zion in the first movie makes NO sense. Why would they need them?

Could it be that the system was set to run that script in order to push the One to his decision?

That is the reason the movies gave. The agents existed to flush out the One.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Matrix Reloaded Jun 17, 2004, 12:34 rkone

The 2nd and third are just ho-hum sci-fi flicks. They only stand out for the fight scenes. The first was awesome.

News Comments > Colin McRae Rally 04 Patch
2. Re: No subject Jun 16, 2004, 12:50 rkone

I really liked this version, console port or not. It's definately in my top 5 PC racing games list.

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
2. Re: STALKER Jun 11, 2004, 13:10 rkone

It's not a game. It's a screenshot engine.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: Thief 3 bug Jun 9, 2004, 17:55 rkone

The game is still great with the "problems" people mention. Obviously this bug a big problem, and the game would be much better with proper difficulty, but it's not something I noticed until it was pointed out to me.

Thief3's cradle level is the best level I have ever played in any game.

17. Re: Weird Russian Flash Game Jun 8, 2004, 14:51 rkone

My top score is 1370. Shouldn't be too hard to beat.

35. Re: Singapore Airlines Boeing 747-412 Jun 1, 2004, 16:18 rkone

You mean the fact that it's in the air?

Imagine for a minute that you're the guy taking that picture.

(I had to read the comments underneath to understand also)

30. Re: ROFLMAO! Jun 1, 2004, 00:43 rkone

known as Carlos the Care Bear? That rascal is wanted in four states. Has a knack for leaving his victims in humorous poses

Lemme guess, hands on their hips, backs arched and bellies exposed?

29. Re: gah....little help please Jun 1, 2004, 00:40 rkone

I'm read so many threads where a game will act up, and the first thing support says is "don't overclock". Not sure if that's legit

It's legit. I used to run my 2.4 at 3.2ghz, without problems. Then I started playing C&C Generals online with a buddy, and after a few hours, the game would crash. Running at 3.0Ghz fixed it. Generals is still the most demanding game I've seen, it was sad to read their forums and see so many people complaining how unstable the game was.

27. Re: gah....little help please Jun 1, 2004, 00:35 rkone

and my CPU temperature varies by ~2 degrees C tops between "idle" (all CPU being consumed by distributed computing process)

Your CPU is never idle then, as it's always being run at 100%. Try disabling your distributed client and I'm sure you'll get a pretty good delta.

11. Re: Intel Heatsink May 31, 2004, 16:06 rkone

The jumbo jet heatsink is actually attached to a K8V deluxe, so it's an Athlon64 heatsink.

News Comments > Thief Demo Today
73. Re: Bug? May 29, 2004, 10:03 rkone

So I ran towards the guard and past him, he saw me of course and since I was faster I got to a shadowy place and hid there.

The worst thing he didn't find me!

Thief is not a difficult game. If you're discovered, you can usually get away. The difficulty comes when you play with self-imposed rules, as most thief veterans do. If it's too easy, try playing the game without any kills, or without even being noticed. For the ultimate difficutly, play without knocking out or killing any guards.

Unfortunately this one is a little more lenient, even on expert. I remember in thief2's expert difficulty where you weren't allowed to kill anyone - "You're a thief, not a murderer". This game you can still kill the guards.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Thief & Singles
82. Re: No subject May 29, 2004, 01:08 rkone

How much video ram? How much computer ram? Crappy hard drives? Other things can lead to this...even maybe the 4.5 drivers you are using.

9700 pros have 128mb ram, my system has 1 gig ram and a SATA 8mb WD 120gig drive (almost half full, fully defragged). The slow down is just enough to be noticeable at points, the worst I've seen so far is the torch-carrying guard in the weapons room in the first mission. The mouselag trick did help, thanks whoever mentioned it.

I've gone back to Cat 4.4, video corruption is much improved, not totally absent though. I can't say the game looks nice, but it's certainly not bad. The bumpmapping works well at times. Yes we could have gotten (much) better graphics, but I'm not going to complain. The game is still great without it.

As far as sound goes, I've never met a game that sounds perfect with EAX enabled. I refuse to spend money on any more Creative products until they clean up their act (Yeah, I was burned by them with my Aureal 2 card). I'm now using a 5.1 system w/onboard sound, and while it would be nice for sounds to muffle and echo, it's not bad without it. It's great that I get proper surround sound, the Dark engine only supported stereo.

69. Re: XP or 2000 only... May 28, 2004, 23:33 rkone

You still haven't explained your hard-on for non-OEM.

Or the reasoning for XP Pro for that matter, since the only thing Win98 users lose by going to XP Home is the ability for more than 5 people to connect to your shared resources at the same time...

Other features XP Pro has over Home:
- dual-cpu support (home does support hyperthreading)
- file encryption
- Active directory network support
- Remote desktop

More info: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

61. Re: First post May 28, 2004, 19:17 rkone

Sorry, I figured since it's the wrong way, it's not much of a spoiler.

57. Re: XP or 2000 only... May 28, 2004, 18:09 rkone

When I buy XP it'll be Pro Full, so yes which is still about 250 + tax at least.

Well if you want to spend extra money, then you probably shouldn't complain about it

56. Re: First post May 28, 2004, 18:07 rkone

I haven't knocked out or killed anyone yet and plan to play that way through the whole game
How do you get blood in the first Pagan mission? I've been playing with KO's only (and have amassed 8000+ gold), but the only way I could figure out to get blood was to put the guard on the alter and stab her with my dagger (of course, she instantly died).

46. Re: XP or 2000 only... May 28, 2004, 15:58 rkone

A few hundred for XP? You can pick up XP Home Upgrade for $90. Well worth the price for a current OS.

72. Re: No subject May 28, 2004, 01:25 rkone

Well that explains why no one else was complaining here. Thanks SMA.

70. Re: No subject May 27, 2004, 23:46 rkone

I've finished the first level - expert, took me 109 minutes first time through. It does feel like thief, which is good. I can't wait till I start to get deeper into it.

The control is ok, it seems a little clunky, definately not as elegant as the first two, but not bad enough to fuss over it. Same goes with the first person view that lets you see your body. I'd prefer to look down and see nothing casting a shadow rather than noticing my arms and legs as I'm looking around - reason being is the shadow problem wouldn't present itself that often (you don't usually look that far down), whereas seeing your arms happens quite frequently and a few times so far has distracted me enough to do a double-take. I'm sure I'll get used to it and it won't bother me. I'm not going to bother with third person view. I switched to see what Garret looks like, then switched back.

As far as the level partitions go, the one in the first mission didn't bother me much. It didn't detract from the gameplay enough to worry about.

What does bother me though is how the light is handled. I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else complain. When I started playing I felt like I was being assaulted with light glitches. Sections of walls would flicker from being lit to being dark and then back again every step. In other places, walls would shine brightly while items right in front were pitch black. Thankfully turning off light bloom fixes this for the most part, but there still are many light problems that remain. For example, in the kitchen, closing the oven door would prevent the light from the fire from showing on the floor, but the wall opposite to it still brightly glows orange.

I prefer the dark engine's static lighting to this. At least it was consistent. Where the floor is dark, you'd be dark. Thief3 actually plays the same, you can safely walk anywhere where the floor is dark. However now a torch with a light radius of 5 feet on the floor has its dynamic light casting shadows 20 feet away. By the end of the first mission I'm used to it, but it doesn't make much sense and really lowers the level of immersion.

While I'm on it, someone asked earlier if guards see your shadow - they don't. I've walked up to guards with my shadow in plain view on the floor in front of him without any response at all. With how the lighting is messed up now, I'm quite thankfull it works that way.

As mentioned, the engine gets a C- for speed. It's playable, but my 3ghz P4 and 9700pro should be able to run it smoothly, and in a few of the larger rooms, it definately was not smooth. It's not a video limitation either, running with 4xfsaa and no fsaa gave about the same framerate. I hope this isn't worse for people with slower CPUs...

This comment was edited on May 27, 23:47.

317 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo