Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rob

Real Name Rob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname rkone
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 3152338
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2003, 04:39
Total Comments 317 (Amateur)
User ID 17763

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Doomsday!
15. Re: Weep for Fallout Jul 23, 2004, 11:46 rkone

Odd, it didn't take me 10 minutes to type that last post, but all the other replies wheren't there when I started...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Doomsday!
14. Re: Weep for Fallout Jul 23, 2004, 11:44 rkone

First of all HL was developed with he q2 engine and does anyone remember a game called COD?
This has to be the millionth time it's been corrected, but HL was developed with the original (albeit heavily modified) quake engine

News Comments > Crytek and EA
2. No subject Jul 23, 2004, 11:12 rkone

"We are looking forward to this partnership with EA. Our advanced technology and creativity, together with EA's production support, marketing and sales, means that we have a great opportunity to bring an original gaming experience to our consumers, as well as grow our business. We are thrilled to see this development get underway".

or

"Consoles, here we come!"

News Comments > DOOM 3 Q&As
63. Re: Why so long? Jul 23, 2004, 11:07 rkone

No, the question was if there is only a couple of percent margin in CPUs as Propaghandi suggested, how can one explain the difference in price of CPUs built on the same process.

60. Re: Why so long? Jul 23, 2004, 10:43 rkone

Processor cores are becoming larger. Larger chips have larger die sizes for the same sized silicon wafer, so they produce lower yields. When the yield for an in-demand chip is lower, the price is inflated to compensate. It's very simple math, really.

That's nice. I don't see how it's relevent to the discussion though, which was what the difference is between price and cost to build cpus..

44. Re: Why so long? Jul 23, 2004, 08:56 rkone

Propaghandi, you should have a look at bulk-retail prices for processor chips when bought in their thousands...and then realise that the chip market operates on just a couple of percent margins.

How do you explain that some chips can cost $500, yet others made with the same process are only $100? It obviously doesn't cost more to make the faster chips, and I'm sure Intel and AMD aren't selling the low-end chips at a loss - chips made with last-generation techniques are even cheaper.

16. Re: :( Jul 22, 2004, 22:15 rkone

Doom3 will use the CPU to mix the sound, it doesn't use EAX.

The audigy is incapable of making an ac3 stream I believe. It can only pass along what's been decoded from dvds. The audigy IS capable of putting out 5.1 sound if you use 3 headphone style connectors, which is how most 5.1 computer sound systems are done.. If you can hook your speakers up that way, then you'd get 5.1

15. Re: :( Jul 22, 2004, 22:11 rkone

If your speakers only work in 5.1 with an ac3 stream, and I don't know of any soundcards that can mix an ac3 stream.

I hate it when I change my mind about how to type a sentence while I'm halfway through

If your speakers only work in 5.1 with an ac3 stream then you're probably screwed - I don't know of any soundcards that can mix an ac3 stream.

13. Re: :( Jul 22, 2004, 22:03 rkone

If your speakers only work in 5.1 with an ac3 stream, and I don't know of any soundcards that can mix an ac3 stream.

What soundcard are you using with that?

9. Re: :( Jul 22, 2004, 21:51 rkone

They specifically said 8 player will mostly be played on lan because broadband won't be fast enough.

It's been said there is no co-op for the PC doom3. The XBOX version was said to have it though.

However, it's interesting to note that all the map source will be available with the game, so I think there's a good chance someone could do a mod...

This comment was edited on Jul 22, 22:01.

7. Re: Crunch time!!! Jul 22, 2004, 21:42 rkone

Hmm, activision says they're going to release a *big* title based on new IP in 2005 or 2006, bigger than anything before it.

In the gamespot interview, it's said activision considers doom3 the biggest ever. "In the world of big, it's bigger than big."

Then we learn that the development time for id's next game should be "significantly" shorter. Plus it's already been said (and restated 3 times in these interviews), that id's next game will be new IP

Heh, listen to me, doom3 isn't even released yet, and I'm already hyped about the next id game..

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Bug Watch
6. Re: So little time... Jul 22, 2004, 00:21 rkone

nah, 16 days is surely including their estimated doom3 finishing time of 09:30.

News Comments > Reznor on DOOM 3
186. Re: No subject Jul 21, 2004, 22:45 rkone

woohoo my 6800 beats 9800XT
*smart buying decision on my side*
and I only paid $320 for it !

The 9800xt is much cheaper than $320. I think you meant X800XT?

ATI will probably improve their drivers until the x800xt is at least as fast as the 6800gt. I hope they can't though, it would mean they'd be in more of a rush to bring out their next-gen card

News Comments > Colin McRae 5 Driving to PCs
11. Re: gameplay Jul 21, 2004, 08:16 rkone

drive a third faster with less danger of hurtling off... This does not sound like a step in the right direction.

They didn't say there was less danger of hurtling off, just that the stages have been designed so you can stay on the track.

Some of the stages in CMR04 had ruts in the road that you could use to help turn your car at high speeds, I assume they're just adding more of that. The extra "third faster" would then just come from properly using the ruts.

This comment was edited on Jul 21, 08:16.

8. Re: WRC looks better Jul 20, 2004, 22:08 rkone

In Codemaster's defense, while other games like MS's Rally Championship may have better initial impressions, the best visual I've seen in a racer is CMR04's dusty track at sunset.

3. Re: No subject Jul 20, 2004, 17:17 rkone

Agreed. Not that 2004 was a bad game IMHO, but the textures are in bad need of updating.

The only thing new I noticed was the FOV effect on the treeline in the one snow track pic.

And why anyone would take a screenshot without AA nowadays I don't know (outside incompetence that is).

News Comments > DOOM 3 Requirements
114. Re: Upgrade for Doom 3 release. Jul 20, 2004, 17:11 rkone

I've had a NEC LCD1760 for about 6 months now, and I couldn't be happier with it

Same here, except with a LG L1810B lcd. I can notice the text is a little blurry when running my desktop in off resolutions (on the rare occasion that happens), but I can't tell when I'm in games. As for games, I can't notice any ghosting which is what most people talk about. The only problem I have with my LCD is the black can 'shine' if viewed at a bad angle, but once you're sitting in front of it, that doesn't happen. OTOH, you get a much purer colour. I still run my 19" CRT beside my LCD in a dual-head setup, the LCD kicks its ass when you want to view anything in colour.

The best thing to do if you're not sure is to go to circuit city or wherever they've got LCDs on display and watch them there.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: ban doom 3 Jul 18, 2004, 13:51 rkone

The webmaster's got his 5 minutes. Move along, nothing to see here.

News Comments > Game Movies - DOOM 3
71. Re: I DO hope this game won't suck... Jul 18, 2004, 09:27 rkone

Well they did mention you can use computer consoles to control machines, open doors, etc. Also the techtv movie had a few npcs in it, but I think the pcgamer review said their wasn't much in that respect.

as for the guy who can't get 32bit colour, it's probably because you're running 2 monitors at such a high resolution that you don't have enough memory on your video card to support that colour depth. All monitors support 32bit colour (they just don't display it).

News Comments > DOOM 3 - Site Seeing, Networking Q&A
7. Re: client-server Jul 16, 2004, 20:03 rkone

what, exactly, is Doom 3? peer to peer or client-server? in the Gamespy interview Duffy says it is client-server.. then, a few questions below, he implicitly states it is peer to peer.

it is client-server. Originally it was stated to be p2p, why is why he's explaining why p2p didn't work...

317 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo