Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Rob

Real Name Rob   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname rkone
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ 3152338
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 17, 2003, 04:39
Total Comments 317 (Amateur)
User ID 17763

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3
224. Re: Naysayers and Vid cards Aug 4, 2004, 00:10 rkone

Ok, I wouldn't say it sucks. I'd give it maybe a 7.4

For a while I would have agreed with you. The initial wow factor wore off too quickly and it became a bit of a chore for a while...

But then out of boredom I started playing with the enemies, dodging their attacks and running at them with the shotgun, and it's totally turned the game around. I think I'm supposed to fear them, but instead I'm just toying around with them, and I begin riding this euphoric wave that's powered by my ability to use every pellet in each shotgun shell. I think I may even give it a 9 now, and I'm not even in hell yet...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > ATI Beta DOOM 3 Drivers
30. Re: A tip Aug 3, 2004, 23:06 rkone

expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll

Make a backup of the atioglxx.dll file in %systemroot%\system32\ and copy the new atioglxx.dll to that folder.

Better yet, put the atioglxx.dll file in your doom3 folder, that way other opengl games will be unaffected...

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - DOOM 3
98. Re: Dual-Display Heads Up!!! Aug 3, 2004, 14:46 rkone

Hm, my game was slower but definately playable with the 2nd monitor on my 9700 pro. I disable the 2nd monitor now anyway to get the better performance, but I considered doom3 to be fairly Dualhead freindly. At least your cursor doesn't leave Doom3 and go to the second monitor while playing. That problem affects 3/4 of the games out there, and is seriously annoying (as soon as you click out of the game, the game will minimize (or crash).

News Comments > DOOM 3 Previews
133. Re: Performance Issues Aug 2, 2004, 09:30 rkone

The muzzle flash doesn't give off much light, your flashlight is more like a floodlight in comparison...

62. Re: Huh? (post #27) Aug 2, 2004, 01:19 rkone

have no sypmathy for pirates who get caught. The RIAA is just doing its job. Downloading music and software is STEALING. Its no different from sticking $1000 worth of cd's down your pants at Best Buy or something. GO RIAA!!

They should send the little pimpley face pirates to federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison to send a message to the rest of the litte spoiled bastards.

Don't you think it's about time "the RIAA"* is forced to reconsider their business model, now that the internet is obviously such a better way to go about distribution??

Do you think itunes and mp3 players would be around if napster (or equivalents) hadn't existed?

Not all people who pirate are doing it because they want it free - they do it because it's better than the alternative. Take a look at those free ISPs for example - people gladly pay for high-speed because the service is much better. These same people warez doom3 only to buy it when it's available 2 days later only because they want to support the developer.

Sony charges you $15 for a CD so they can spend $10 of that advertising Britney, pocketing $4.50, paying the artist 10 cents and spending 40 cents on production and packaging.

I personally would prefer to flip the triangle upside down and shrink it by a factor of 10 or so. That's what internet distribution could do legally, but big media companies fight that at all cost.

Funny that you consider pirates spoiled bastards, I think it applies better to the multibillion dollar companies suing the pirates.

*boycott riaa:
I laugh at people that swear at the RIAA under their breath. The entire reason RIAA exists is for people to hate them. Warner/Disney/Sony/RCA/etc. would never put their name on a lawsuit sueing Joe Napsteramy, rather they pay millions to create a company to do this for them - a good business decision.

Jaded because with all that advertising money, in the past 5 years I have not heard a CD worth downloading let alone buying.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Super Model Meat Sports. Aug 2, 2004, 00:05 rkone

'm just glad companies are starting to wake up and are going to start requiring people to be connected to the internet to be able to place.

The only way this could work is if the content streamed to your computer while you were playing... Although even that could be broken and warezed with enough effort.

The only reason why multiplayer stops warez is because hackers can't control the servers (or if they do, they're easy targets).

52. Re: Performance Issues Aug 1, 2004, 23:14 rkone

Found the root of my initial performance problems... The game doesn't seem to like having a second monitor enabled. I guess the guys at doom don't like using dual monitors, shame cause the game probably would have been out several months earlier if they did.

That 2nd monitor will eat up quite a bit of extra memory, and as you know, it's already pretty full on a 128mb card in Doom3...

51. Saving Aug 1, 2004, 23:12 rkone

Nothing is worse than a game that lets you save a fraction of a second before you die, forcing you to go back to the last auto-save point which was half an hour ago

News Comments > DOOM 3 at G4
25. Re: Aug 6 Jul 30, 2004, 14:36 rkone

I have all intentions of having beaten the game by then.

What, you're only going to play it once??

This comment was edited on Jul 30, 14:37.

News Comments > DOOM 3 at G4
2. Re: Aug 6 Jul 30, 2004, 10:30 rkone

I'll be too busy playing to watch doom3 on tv..

News Comments > DOOM 3 Hardware Guide
67. Re: E-penis! Jul 29, 2004, 21:02 rkone

So if you think about it, that's just one 350W PSU powering a slightly-OCed chipset, CPU, 1 hard drive, and 1 optical drive, which leaves the 6800GT with room to spare (and isn't as power-hungry as most people think).

Depends on the quality of the 350W supply. I've seen 350W supplies that would surely handle that (although only name brands). OTOH, I've seen many "350W" no-name supplies that would last a month before blowing (likely taking everything in the system with it, except the floppy drive).

88. Re: Car Logo game Jul 29, 2004, 18:01 rkone

I can't help you with all of those, but here's what I have:

Thanks! I had figured out smacks, apparantly I had accidentally typed in chex+ instead of chex (?) for E.

I must have looked at a few thousand cereal boxes today...

News Comments > DOOM 3 Hardware Guide
12. Re: /3GB Boot.ini setting Jul 29, 2004, 16:23 rkone

I highly doubt doom3 uses up MORE than 2GB of memory, even if you had it. I wouldn't touch the setting.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 16:23.

79. Re: Car Logo game Jul 29, 2004, 15:39 rkone

Can't help you with the cereals, except t. T is Total

ahh, thanks. Although I think I'm about to give up, I spent half the day googling for some of the answers to these...

78. Re: Help! Jul 29, 2004, 15:37 rkone

Would anybody know how to stop the god damn “language toolbar” in XP pro

Right click the language bar and choose settings
Click language bar..
Uncheck "Show the Language bar on the desktop"

Alternatively, if you only use one language in windows, you can simply remove all other languages. One of the common things I see is people installing with English (Canada), XP will also install English (US), so you get the language bar, even though you are not likely going to ever notice a difference.

76. Re: Technology Jul 29, 2004, 15:31 rkone

Make a processor that does everything.

Your processor can do everything, the only problem is that compared to a specialized chip (your GPU), it is very, very slow.

Also, video cards are 32bit or below (X800 is still 24bit). The 128bit and 256bit you're thinking of is the memory path. Bits are used for many things in computers

68. Re: Car Logo game Jul 29, 2004, 14:55 rkone

Anyone get all 26?

I have 24.. for the life of me, I can't get g and j. Any ideas?

j is Maybach.

A lot of these are hard for me because it's US based, but I've been plugging away at a few, my best so far is the cereals, but I'm missing aemqrt.

News Comments > No Win98 DOOM 3
187. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 10:19 rkone

Anyone running Win98 is more likely to have a system that can't run Doom3 though...

But I know a couple that will just install 98SE on their new hardware, mostly because they're cheap or just can't afford it.

Your freakish friends are part of the reason I said more likely. Fact is, most people who have win98 are the ones who simply haven't bought a new computer since they got it with their system...

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Imminent?
101. Re: ATI Bundle Jul 29, 2004, 09:59 rkone

You can get a CD, but IIRC it'll cost you $10 and you will have to wait for them to ship it to you.

News Comments > Half-Life 2 Imminent?
88. Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 07:35 rkone

Well, I've heard conflicting stories on just how far along they were. The fact is 5 years worth of work was stolen, and I would imagine it was HUGE job to rewrite major portions of the code that could be sabatoged by hackers.

They didn't rewrite the engine. Think about it - no matter how strong your code is, you cannot stop hackers.
The best copy protection is broken in days, and released with trainers. The only other hacking that would concern developers is multiplayer cheats. Any engine built nowadays does not rely on security through obscurity, simply because the hackers will eventually figure it out. Time is spent limiting the damage that can be done by people who don't have access to the game server. Obviously valve is betting that HL2 will be a huge online game, so they'd have done their homework here.
Knowing this, why would valve spend several months rewriting code when in the end it will only delay hackers by a few months at best? Add a punkbuster style app, and publicly released cheats are shut down within days anyway. There aren't going to be many more people making private cheats either - you still need to know how to create hacks, and even with source it's not simple. For the source to be usefull, you need the same compiling tools that valve used, which are not cheap (or easy to find as warez).

Oh, and then there was the content leak. Thousands of files, with varying, but many recent (for the time) filedates, and a bunch of half-finished maps that put together couldn't amount to more than a few hours of gameplay. Even before E3 valve would have known Sept 30 was impossible.

Great, so take it out on the publisher, not the damn developers, especially not developers like Valve who have given so much to the gaming community to be treated like shit for missing a release date.

I was pointing out that gamers have justifiable reason to complain in general. I'd say the most complaining is done about the publishers. As Crytek has shown with their missed dates, I agree gamers can go a bit overboard sometimes, OTOH, the 1.2 patch seems to be getting great response, even though it was pulled because it didn't work for some people.

The complaints against Valve are another story, that was more than just missing a release date. They compounded the problem with the 2-3 month code rewrite delay story that was false and the ATi bundle.

317 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo