Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for baron von richtofen

Real Name baron von richtofen   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname sir
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 8, 2003, 12:53
Total Comments 603 (Apprentice)
User ID 17694

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic Patch
4. Re: Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic Patch Mar 3, 2010, 13:59 sir

Probably quite well, for those who adopted via bit torrent.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Metaverse
1. BBC Proposes Deep Cuts in Web Site Mar 3, 2010, 10:24 sir

Shame that - the BBC website is one of the few I visit on a daily basis (Blue's also falls into that category, obviously )  

News Comments > Star Trek Online Borg Raid Details, Trailer
2. Re: Star Trek Online Borg Raid Details, Trailer Feb 25, 2010, 14:54 sir

After a thoroughly unimpressive open beta I'm hoping that they'll be able to turn it around by Summer, by which time I should be able to pick the game up for less than a one legged Ferengi whore. I wouldn't bet my last Tribble on it, though.  

News Comments > Aliens vs Predator Patch Monday
1. Re: Aliens vs Predator Patch Monday Feb 25, 2010, 14:47 sir

I'm still having fun with this after about 30 hours of online play, but what is sorely needed right now is a server browser as well as the ability to stay on the same server for more than one match.  

News Comments > AvP DirectX 11 Workarounds
10. Re: AvP DirectX 11 Workarounds Feb 21, 2010, 06:17 sir

This is one of the few occasions where I'm glad I didn't pay attention to a metacritic score as I'm having a blast with the game in multiplayer, which is what I bought it for.  

News Comments > More STO Klingon Content "Soon"
13. Re: More STO Klingon Content Feb 20, 2010, 11:53 sir

I love all of Star Trek, I don't discriminate.

That single sentence speaks volumes about your attitude to this game, and why other people should discount your opinion.

News Comments > More STO Klingon Content "Soon"
4. Re: More STO Klingon Content Feb 19, 2010, 13:46 sir

ibm wrote on Feb 19, 2010, 12:40:
Will STO last longer than Auto Assault? Probably, although it doesn't deserve to.

Is it better than Auto Assault was? No.

At least Cryptic seem to be refunding people's life subscriptions according to a couple of forum acquaintances.

The money they've made from the hordes of uninformed box buyers who picked up the game simply because it had "Star Trek" written on the front will pay for a skeleton development crew and a couple of servers for years.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Needs a "Meaningful" Death Penalty
8. Re: Star Trek Online Needs a Feb 18, 2010, 11:07 sir

The death penalty should be that you respawn with a ship that has a skeleton crew, only funtioning at a nominal rather than an optimal level, thus you need to return to a starbase to recrew.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 17, 2010, 14:12 sir

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 17, 2010, 12:04:
Jimi Hendrix 'Rock Band' Game Coming.

Although I a rather bored with RB and GH as of late - I would pick up the axe for this.

Maybe someone who plays guitar can elaborate, but aren't Jimmy's notes some of the hardeset notes to play? So this game's EASY mode will start with all 5 buttons.

Technically, his playing has long since been overshadowed by the likes of Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Eddie Van Halen and a host of others. Trying to play the guitar and encapsulate Hendrix' soul and touch, however, is a different matter..

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Aliens vs Predator, Dedicated Server Plans
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens vs Predator, Dedicated Server Plans Feb 16, 2010, 17:47 sir

I don't understand why so many people disliked the multiplayer demo - for me, this game has the best deathmatch gameplay in years, and I pre-ordered it solely on the strength of that (plus the other game modes should be a laugh too).  

News Comments > World of Tanks Announced
6. Re: World of Tanks Announced Feb 16, 2010, 13:50 sir

Well, it's free and it's got tanks in it, how can it possibly fail? Sign me up already..  

News Comments > No PC Alan Wake
18. Re: No PC Alan Wake Feb 12, 2010, 11:27 sir

So it's no Wake on LAN for Alan Wake then.

Sorry.

News Comments > AvP Demo Released Early
49. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 4, 2010, 16:54 sir

Wildone wrote on Feb 4, 2010, 16:42:
I kept attacking Aliens then suddenly they'd be behind me and Im screwed, wonder how they do that.
They do have too much HP too I was shooting one while he did his kill move on someone, he had no problem finishing them off then killing me whilst Im shootin then both. Maybe invulnerable doing finishing moves?

I think you've just been unlucky. Several times I've killed either an Alien or a Predator while they were performing a finishing move ( on a couple of occasions I've even managed to steal both kills).

45. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 4, 2010, 14:12 sir

InBlack wrote on Feb 4, 2010, 07:11:
sir wrote on Feb 4, 2010, 06:31:
After so much negativity in this post I was expecting a dog of a demo, but I quite enjoyed it - reminded me of AVP2 multiplayer. It took about 45 seconds for me to find my first match, and the second was about 30 seconds so perhaps the problem last night was that not enough people were hosting servers (there are no dedicated servers as yet). I'll definitely be picking this up, as the other multiplayer modes should be more interesting.

Sir, could you please post some impressions of the gameplay? Im going to download the demo today after work, but I would still like to hear some impressions.

I've been at work all day, so this probably isn't as timely as you wanted, but anyway...

Graphically, the game looks better (on my machine anyway) than what I've seen in the gameplay videos - the textures don't look half as 'washed out' as in those videos, and I'm far from running an uber machine (2 MB RAM, athlon 6000 and Geforce 9800 GT).

The gameplay is a little slower than AVP2 - there's no more pouncing on hapless marines as an alien from 50 yards away, which IMO is a good thing. Also as an alien, the transition from walking over the ground to crawling over the walls and ceilings isn't quite as smooth as in AVP2 - there were a few occasions when I got 'stuck' to the ceiling when I wanted to drop down, and I ended up as pulse rifle fodder.

All three species are able to sprint by pressing the 'q' key, which is nowhere near as much an inconvenience as it sounds, but the alien is the quickest, able to close large distances fairly rapidly to make up for its lack of ranged weaponry.

Some may disagree, but I found the marine to be far from underpowered, as long as you keep on the move and make ample use of the sprint key. I didn't have any trouble taking down predators since the cloak they use generates a lot of electrical ripples which are easy to spot, but the alien is quite difficult to see, and you are often only aware of it when it is in your face, trying to interface its teeth with your brain. One of the best tactics I found as a marine was to pick up the sniper rifle and camp at the corner intersection between two long tunnels, that way I could pick anything off from a good distance. There are other weapons available to the marine, incuding a flamethrower (which I was useless with) and the auto-targeting assult rifle that Vasquez totes in Aliens (I forget the name of it).

The Predator is a strange beast, I found it to be the most difficult to achive kills with, but I think that was down to my lack of familiarity with its abilities. It can jump large distances (first you press shift to target the desired jump location then press spacebar to execute), and when in close proximity you can press 'e' to grab an enemy before killing them. I'm sure at this point there's some way to rip their head and spinal column from the body, but I was unable to figure it out. You can also pick up weaponry for the predator, but I didn't get much of a chance o try it out as the game was just ending when I found some.

Anyway, I was overall quite impressed, and would say that they've achieved quite a fair balance between the three species, with the alien at the moment (and possibly due to lack of familiarity) being ever so slightly more powerful than the other two species.

Edit: I never tried to rebind the keys, but some of the responses here would seem to indicate that that is possible.

Edit2: Evidently I got lucky this morning, as I've been 'searching for games' for the past twenty minutes with no joy. Rebellion, please fix this..

This comment was edited on Feb 4, 2010, 14:42.

30. Re: AvP Demo Released Early Feb 4, 2010, 06:31 sir

After so much negativity in this post I was expecting a dog of a demo, but I quite enjoyed it - reminded me of AVP2 multiplayer. It took about 45 seconds for me to find my first match, and the second was about 30 seconds so perhaps the problem last night was that not enough people were hosting servers (there are no dedicated servers as yet). I'll definitely be picking this up, as the other multiplayer modes should be more interesting.  

News Comments > Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity
11. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 3, 2010, 16:34 sir

Furious, when the login server fell.

Temba, his subscription closed.

News Comments > Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity
4. Re: Cryptic Working on Star Trek Online Capacity Feb 3, 2010, 16:04 sir

Epic login fail! They haven't increased maximum capacity because they haven't been able to find someone who will rent them an additional server farm for a four week lease.  

News Comments > Aliens vs Predator Demo Details
1. Re: Aliens vs Predator Demo Details Feb 3, 2010, 13:28 sir

Pretty nifty that they're allowing us to sample all three species, although one of the more interesting multiplayer modes would have been welcome.  

News Comments > US, UK, Japan Game Sales Decline 8%
4. Re: Game Reviews Feb 3, 2010, 12:05 sir

Depends. If I can't see their ribs then it's Peggle Extreme all the way.  

News Comments > Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale
7. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 2, 2010, 16:55 sir

I think they'll shift a huge number of boxes thanks to casual, uninformed gamers who'll be tempted by a box with a Star Trek logo on the front, but subscription retention will be miniscule - Cryptic already know this, and that's probably why they haven't bothered to upgrade the server capacity.

Edit: "..from a player's avatar to the ship he captains." He? Janeway, sic 'em.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2010, 17:05.

603 Comments. 31 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo