Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Marweas

Real Name Marweas   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 28, 2003, 00:16
Total Comments 9 (Suspect)
User ID 17599

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

News Comments > Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude
39. Re: heres my .02$ Oct 29, 2003, 19:40 Marweas

http://www.allowe.com/L-8news.htm

October 29, 2003
For the thousands of you who have written and expressed support of me becoming involved with the new game, I have news: you're efforts are being heard. I have been in contact with Sierra many times over the past week and, while nothing is finalized yet, today Sierra's legal department said I could release the following (grammatically challenged) message:

"Currently, I am in the process of negotiations with Vivendi Universal Games and my involvement with the next installment of the Leisure Suit Larry. Once we have reached an agreement I will be able to comment more on my involvement."

I'll leave it to the message boards to discuss the full meaning and ramifications of this.

Watch this page for the latest information.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude
20. Wow, no love for Larry? Oct 28, 2003, 17:16 Marweas

I thought you guys would be jumping up and down about a new Larry game. I guess I can understand cynicism, but thought there would be more happiness than this.

Given that it's a console game, most consumers won't know Al Lowe and won't care. I'm not sure he's the only one who could ever pull of comedy in a game. Nevertheless, I agree he'd be an asset to the project. That's why we're in discussion with him right now.

News Comments > TRIBES Vengeance Q&A
120. Re: abelincon.. Jul 3, 2003, 14:15 Marweas

Many people enjoy Planetside. It is not however, Tribes. And in the same vein, the people who played the original version of T2, didn't see it as Tribes. There were many Diablo and C&C clones that were very similar in design, but they failed critically and commercially because they failed to capture that magic, that spirit that made fans of the original players.

To those who never experienced Tribes 1, Tribes 2 is the best game on the planet. After Tribes 1, T2 is the only game that offers team play, jet packs, deployables and multiple roles that can be chosen mid-game. Of course those without a history with the brand will find it attractive. If you didn't play Half-Life you might be convinced that Unreal was the best shooter ever, but the view would lack any real perspective. Similarly, unless you were able to glean the true magic of Tribes - gameplay that evolved right along with your skill level - then you would not miss it in Tribes 2.

The competitive community took Tribes beyond team combat with jetpacks and discovered that holy grail of gaming - the game you can play forever. The one you never get tired of because it changes as you change. That's what's missing in T2. The game is already stagnant because once you get really good at the game you reach the end of progression. Of course if you're not that good, the game still holds appeal. But to argue that it's as good as its predecessor by listing maps and strategies denies a deeper understanding that comes from playing for 5 years.

It's tantamount to arguing about a TV set with a repairman. He tells you not to buy it because it's crappy. You say it's Huge! has 199 channels, widgets, gadgets, and beautiful color. He shakes his head and walks away, because he knows the tube in the pretty toy will burn out in a year. And that's why it's not worth it.

T1 was fun for both the experts and the neophite. T2 is only fun for neophites. That's the distinction. With this new Tribes we hope to return the depth of the original so that it once again serves both well.

By the way, KineticPoet is based in Canberra, Australia with the rest of the Irrational team. For in person meetings, you're better positioned from New Zealand than the rest of us. But he's easy enough to get in touch with in IRC on irc.dynamix.com or by posting direct questions to him on some of the many community sites like www.tribalwar.com, www.teamwarfare.com, and www.bittah.com

This is another element that points to the success of Vengeance. As developers we have very close ties to the community, and have an established two-way dialogue with the fans. The people on the project are brilliant and talented, and it doesn't take more than a couple of minutes conversing with them to realize that they understand your concerns and have already thought of ways to address them. It's a great feeling to once again be quite hopeful about Tribes.

116. Re: No subject Jul 2, 2003, 02:38 Marweas

Too much reason and agreement. Not enough drama.

*sigh*

come back TW

114. Re: abelincon.. Jul 1, 2003, 22:13 Marweas

I think that's well said, Cheater.

T1 was good enough for everyone. Not because everyone played it the same way - they didn't - but because it was open enough that it was enjoyable regardless of how you played it. Whether you were doing 300mpg backcaps out of a SH cluster, or whether you liked to set up lots of turrets and then sit at command station taking pot shots at people, it was fun. People were not all forced to play the same way.

I believe part of this came about because Tribes was really an afterthought, and was not over-designed with counter-balances for everything. It was emergent. This is the goal for Tribes Vengeance. A game that has different appeals for different players, and supports them all equally.

I've often made this statement, and I was delighted when KP mentioned it as his goal. "We make the stadium and the ball. What you do with them is up to you." The ball should serve those playing on a playground equally as well as those in a world championship match. That was the magic of Tribes, and that is what I hope they recapture with Vengeance.

- Alex

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 22:14.

112. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2003, 19:43 Marweas

We've planned all along for an open beta period. I expect it to happen middle of next year some time.

108. Re: No subject Jul 1, 2003, 12:34 Marweas

Philip,

The issues you pose for Vengeance multiplayer are valid, but you needn't be concerned. We are not remaking Tribes 1 or Tribes 2, we are making a whole new game.

I expect it to be fast paced, action oriented, with real strategic depth. We'll know if we're close when we try it out on a couple thousand beta testers next year. I'm counting on them to tell us if we're missing the mark.

92. Re: No doubt Jun 28, 2003, 05:32 Marweas

Tribes used to routinely make me stay up until 2 or 3 in the morning. And when I dragged my tired ass to bed I would still be grinning, running over plays and strategies in my head, thinking, this is the best game I ever played.

If I expected anything less of Vengeance, it wouldn't be called Tribes.

82. Re: No doubt Jun 27, 2003, 20:30 Marweas

The Tribes die-hards know who Marweas is, so they'll tell you I speak with authority on the question of T2.

Those bashing Sierra for pushing the product out too soon are... right.

But that was in 2001.

Since then a management change, and a dedicate new team took over the franchise. We worked with the community and Garage Games to patch the bugs out of T2. We held a Tribes Council to listen to the community's concerns and share with them our vision. It's a very different Tribes that's coming down the pike than Tribes 2.

There were plenty of valid criticisms of T2: the soupy physics, the lack of real single player, bugginess, imbalance, and of course the automated turrets.

If the current team blithely ignored all those and pushed on with Tribes Vengeance, you'd be justified in your fears and beliefs. But we didn't. We learned, we improved, and we pour into the game the kind of love that only long-time die-hard gamers would. Not to mention about 100 years of game development expertise between us.

The single player campaign is no throw-away training mission. This is a full-blown campaign that will alone make the game worth owning. It's being made by the same people who lovingly crafted Thief, Thief 2, System Shock 2, and Freedom Force. It's not a coincidence Irrational was chosen for the task. We want a kick-ass single player campaign that will teach some of you that the jetpack isn't OPTIONAL equipment, and skiing isn't a "trick." The multiplayer will be fast, furious, and fun. It will allow the benefits of teamplay without restricting individual achievements. The team working on it is headed up by one of the brightest, hard-working, creative guys I know - Mike "KineticPoet" Johnston. He released popular mods for both T1 and T2 and now specifically oversees the fun of multiplayer.

The team has consistently turned in high quality work on time. That's important from a group - it shows they know the goals they want to achieve and have a plan for getting there. We don't say "when it's done" because we actually know when that will be.

I don't know why this should be hard to understand. Doom3 has always been and always be a technology showcase. HL2 has always been and always be about ambience and environment. Tribes is about gameplay, more specifically movement. To me that seems more complimentary than competitive, but hey, people need something to bitch about.

So if you are offended that TV may offer competition to Doom3 and HL2, don't be. As gamers we should know by now, that there is no such thing as too many good games.

9 Comments. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo