Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for grudgebearer

Real Name grudgebearer   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname grudgebearer
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description ET-JUNKIE
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 26, 2003, 17:07
Total Comments 284 (Amateur)
User ID 17580

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

News Comments > Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers
16. Re: Boss Key Reveals LawBreakers Aug 26, 2015, 22:46 grudgebearer

Creston wrote on Aug 26, 2015, 21:22:
I didn't think it was possible, but cliffyb actually managed to write an underlying theme for a game that's even more fucking ridiculous than Gears of War.

Not really original. He actually kind of ripped off the premise from Thundarr The Barbarian.

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Some Star Citizen Refunds
87. Re: Some Star Citizen Refunds Aug 24, 2015, 23:17 grudgebearer

I fail to see how a publisher/developer having their own financing or notimpacts the fact that the RSI is paying for development of a game by selling in game assets for real world dollars, before they've even produced the playable product.

If you think that is a valid business model, then it's should be ok in your mind for any company to employ it, but you give CIG a pass, and chastise EA or Ubisoft for it. Hence, you are a hypocrite.

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Some Star Citizen Refunds
83. Re: Some Star Citizen Refunds Aug 24, 2015, 07:19 grudgebearer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 23, 2015, 21:25:
Of course the new ships are responsible for CIG's income - that's their business model. It's not a secret. But adding new ships isn't greed any more than the initial pitch was - the game would not have been funded any other way.

Were this coming from a publisher like EA or Ubisoft I'd be absolutely on your side but this is a game that literally wouldn't have been made any other way. If your argument is that this game shouldn't have been made then you're entitled to that opinion but the reality is that nearly a million people felt otherwise and have supported the project, while many others will buy it once it's released. That justifies its existence.

How staggeringly honest, and completely hypocritical of you. It's terrible when EA does it, but brilliant and awesome when CIG does it; you really are brainwashed.

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown
103. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 9, 2015, 13:39 grudgebearer

Comet wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 12:14:

The mainstream enjoys good games. No matter what they are.
Space sims included. The problem with the industry is that when you're investing millions to build a product, you prefer to play safe, so you avoid investing in types of games that you aren't sure will be successful. So you repeat the formulas that you are sure will work. The result is COD style games over and over again.
That doesn't mean publishers don't innovate.

Once someone proves that there is interest in a certain style of game they start investing on that.

For instance, GTA success has lead to other similar games like Saints Row, Just Cause and so on.

As an example that people do like space sims, is No Man's Sky.
In fact No Man's Sky is in many ways a modern version of Elite.
SC crowdfunding launched in October 2012. No Man's Sky was announced one year later. In November 2013.

No matter what you think about Star Citizen, only one thing matters. "Is it a good game or not?".
SC may fail, but if someone makes a great AAA space sim, people will buy it.

And yes. People do miss the large scale AAA space sim games of the past.
Actually, people love the idea of being the captain of a ship, or being the hotshot space pilot in Star Wars. Or the space explorer seeking out new lifeforms and new civilizations Star Trek style.

How can you use No Man's Sky as a comparison for mainstream adoption considering that it hasn't even been released yet, and there are no sales figures from it to support your statement about gamer interest?

AAA production value is not going to sell a game to people that are not interested in the genre. The DCS series is a AAA title, but unless you are into military flight sims you aren't going to buy it, and that's why there isn't a shitton of DCS-type games floating around, it's a niche category just like space flight sims.

You are correct...there are plenty of people that love flying an X-Wing, or being the captain of a Galaxy Class starship...but that doesn't mean they immediately want to jump into a generic sci-fi ship simulator and dog fight. Enjoying the Star Wars or Star Trek universes =/= loving space flight sims.

- Harlon Nayl

99. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 9, 2015, 10:59 grudgebearer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 07:39:

Yeah, such a niche market that already the game has pulled in over $86m and broken all records for crowdfunding. People like space sims, they just don't like the terrible games that have been released since Starlancer. That's why people have been so quick to get behind Star Citizen. Also, don't forget the popularity of MMOs on PC - WoW still have over 5m subscribers, Final Fantasy has over 5m subscribers, etc. If they can manage that many SUBSCRIBERS then just think how many copies of Star Citizen will be sold considering it doesn't require a subscription.

I have to wonder, are you being intentionally obtuse at this point? Chris Roberts has pulled in $86 million from wealthy adults with larger amounts of disposable income, not 15 year old begging for Auroras for Christmas. If the mainstream gaming community as a whole enjoyed space sims, there would be tons of them, and we'd have a handful of decent games and a bunch of shitty clones; that's not the case though because whether you choose to realize it, it's a niche genre.

WoW and FF is your next jump huh? So Star Citizen is now a fantasy themed classic-style MMO? How do the number of people subscribed to two fantasy MMOs have any bearing on the appeal of Star Citizen, a primarly space-sim with a 'persistent universe.'

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 9, 2015, 07:39:
You're completely missed the point, which is that Star Citizen is successful precisely because there haven't been any meaningful space sims in a decade. I mean, bloody hell - Rust sold a million copies and it was still in pre-release and is a shitty indie game. Arma 3 is a terrible game and it sold 3 million copies.

How does the number of copies of Rust (a survival crafting game, a genre which for whatever reason is huge right now), or Arma3 an open-world tactical shooter, have to do with the popularity of the space-sim genre,a and specially Star Citizen? Maybe you should also familiarize your self with the concept of false equivalence .

- Harlon Nayl

87. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 8, 2015, 23:49 grudgebearer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 8, 2015, 19:08:
A lot of people won't back until it launches or go on sale. Further, there will be expansions to Squadron 42 as it's designed as a trilogy. I assume they'll also sell new ships as they're developed, which will bring in considerable money. The clever thing about CIG's business model is that it gets those with large amounts of disposable income to invest extremely large amounts, with many investing tens of thousands of dollars. Meanwhile those who back the bare minimum get all the benefits by simply earning them in-game. After the Gamescom presentation the game pulled in nearly half a million dollars in a single day. Less than a million people have backed the game, whereas the most successful games tend to sell numerous millions. Heck, Rollercoaster Tycoon managed 4 million sales and Diablo III more than 30m.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that Star Citizen is going to magically generate some sort of mass appeal among what the industry considers "mainstream gamers." You are correct, there are some people who have been waiting on this game, and did not back the kickstarter, who will purchase it at launch, but if you think it's going to be enough to sustain future development or ongoing costs associated with the PU, then you are deluding yourself. The only way to keep this going is cash sales of in-game ships and items, and considering we've been given no information as to what sort of in-game time it will take to be able to purchase with credits as opposed to real money, how do you even know that it's even feasible at this point? Because you "believe" in the dream?

Space sims, are a niche market, and you can try to deny it, but there's a solid reason why large publishers do not make games like this, and that's because they are not marketable to the majority of their consumer base. It's the same reason we so many damn CoD and Battlefield reiterations every year...the same tired franchises over and over...it's unfortunate, but it sells, and if space sims sold you'd see EA or Microsoft beating down the doors to Chris' kickstarter funded leased mansion to buy it from him.

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 8, 2015, 19:08:
Heck, Rollercoaster Tycoon managed 4 million sales and Diablo III more than 30m.

Diablo III, Rollercoaster Tycoon? Really...that's what you are going with? How is the fact that a theme park simulation sold 4 million copies, or that a ARPG sold 30 million copies even relevant to this discussion? Remind me which one of those is (was) marketed as a space flight sim in the vein of Wing Commander and Freelancer. This should be interesting to say the least.

- Harlon Nayl

66. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 8, 2015, 16:22 grudgebearer

Kxmode wrote on Aug 8, 2015, 14:43:

There is no game. Just like no one calls 3DMark a video game. An alpha is a complete game with lots of bugs. A beta is a complete game with minimal bugs and near gold status. Star Citizen, as it is today, is probably the most expensive tech demo ever made. Until CIG can finish all the promised basic modules and bring them all together it will always remain a tech demo. If CIG goes bankrupt Star Citizen will forever be a tech demo.

I'm not even sure I'd go that far. Star Citizen is still an idea at this point. .

- Harlon Nayl

65. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 8, 2015, 16:20 grudgebearer

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 8, 2015, 14:04:
Yes, if we would believe that the original vision for SC is still a thing, i.e. PC master race game, made for HOTAS, blablablah...

Who said anything about this being a "PC Master Race" issue? We are talking a space flight sim, which is what (originally) at it's core this game was meant to be. Now you could argue that, the focus is no longer on it being a space flight sim if you want, but I'm still operating under that auspice.

Whether you want to admit it, space flight sims are not mass market games, and even tacking on FPS gameplay isn't going remove the fact that the majority of the gameplay is flying around space in a ship, which contrary to the groupthink on the RSI forums is a niche market.

No, because it no longer is. The game has long been in a process of transformation to a game with more mass appeal. The whole purpose of the FPS module is more mass appeal (Mass Effect people etc.).

Again, for that statement to be true, the core gameplay of Star Citizen would have to shift drastically away from space flight sim to FPS. As far as anything I have read, the FPS module is only supposed to enhance the boarding, multi-crew ship, and station/planet interration. I've seen nothing that says that RSI is tailoring the FPS portion to gain a broader audience, or changing the core gameplay.

Then look at controller balance. The game is now 100% favoring mouse and keyboard and whenever they are presenting the game anywhere they are using console controllers. Anyone who believes they will do a 180 and make HOTAS the tool of choice needs to lay off the drugs.

I don't follow you. Regardless of what controller scheme is favored is going to have zero impact on making people who don't like space flight sims, want to play space flight sims. The only thing favoring controllers, or K/M, or HOTAS is going to do is piss off a faction of people who already like the genre.

Then there's a whole new opportunity now with Win 10 and streaming to the Xbone. It's a safe bet that this game will play very well with a controller.

Windows 10 streaming to Xbox will have a negligible affect on who plays this game. Chris Roberts has championed the fact that big studios wouldn't make his game because it didn't have mass market appeal, and he's right, among the myriad other reasons large studios wouldn't work with him, these types of games do not appeal to the mainstream gamers and large studios are about mass appeal. He has tapped into a small but wealthy set of nostalgic adults who have money to burn, and sold them on giving them the dreams of their youth as long as they believe in him and keep giving him money.

As for hardware reqs... it's all just a matter of scaling. I'm sure you won't need a $3K rig just to play it at full HD on release (if they continue at this rate the game will probably play fine on ancient hardware when it comes out in 2020).

Squadron 42 may not need a $3k system to run at the lowest detail level, but Star Citizen will need even more processing power to run at a decent frame rate if RSI ever gets even half of the systems and features in the PU. Which is exactly why they won't release final system requirements.

The casualization is in full effect. I agree that the store has no. 1 priority but after the project took off like a rocket and CR got a taste of the fame and the big bucks he is absolutely obviously interested in a MUCH wider appeal for this game. So I'd say it's clearly a double strategy... more mass appeal on the one side to draw in more people (and eventually sales if/when the game ever goes live) and on the other hand milk the core fans for all they are worth.

So you believe that ships costing hundreds of dollars, and components for ships being $25-75$ each, are signs of a shift towards "casualization"? I'm sorry, but you are deluding yourself. Chris Roberts is catering his ship store, and the final pay-to-win product to the same wealthy adults with cash to burn that provided the initial funding.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2015, 16:25.

- Harlon Nayl

50. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 8, 2015, 10:49 grudgebearer

I think there's a lot of ill-placed belief in future sales of both Squadron 42, and whatever "Star citizen" turns out to be.

There's a reason that EA and the big studios aren't making games likes this, and it boils down to mass appeal. Some people here like games like this, and I sometimes enjoy games likes this, but as a whole the gaming community doesn't buy these games.

If you haven't backed this game already, you probably aren't going to until it is actually released or you aren't going to buy it at all, and when it is actually released, what are the sales numbers going to be like considering that the majority of people who want to play this game already backed it at an earlier stage?

So really...the only option for CIG is to keep producing ships, and now ship parts to be sold for real money in order to increase funds. The idea that this is going to take off, and every kid in America is going to put down his X-box controller, beg his parents to spend $3,000 on a gaming rig, and start living as "Star Citizens" is ridiculous.

The current business model is only sustainable by selling in-game items for cash, and considering the store existed way before the game, the store is the priority, and not the "game."

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Expansion This Month
12. Re: Pillars of Eternity Expansion This Month Aug 5, 2015, 13:27 grudgebearer

MattyB wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 12:59:

Yup, same here.

I just never felt like I was progressing or growing as a character/player/party. Never felt any stronger as I levelled, and there wasn't a great deal of difference in the items.

Game world and the areas felt 'dead' too.

Enjoyed it, and got my moneys worth, but no real interest in going back to finish the game

Toss me in the same boat...

The story was interesting, once you figured out what the fuck was going on, and the way you get tossed into the narrative didn't help at all.

My biggest complaint, is that I'm level 11 already, just finished Act II, and my gear is only slightly better than what it was at level 1. None of the unique items feel unique. And other than my mage/priest/chanter having higher level spells, my melee characters felt like town guards.

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds
105. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 16, 2015, 11:20 grudgebearer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 16, 2015, 10:25:
It's not hypocritical. If a company that has access to vast resources, like EA or Activision, did it then I'd be opposed because they could afford to make such a game without asking consumers to pay for an unfinished project. But CIG had no such resources and had approached various publishers without success. They are two very different scenarios.

How is that not the veritable definition of hypocrisy? You are giving CIG a pass for doing something that you would criticize EA or any other company for doing. Whether or not a company has resources or not, doesn't have any bearing on whether or not the practice of selling in-game assets for actually currency, before there is even a playable game to be had, is a terrible business model. It would be terrible for EA to do it, and it's terrible for CIG to do it, and the only reason you are defending it is because you are in love with the dream of Star Citizen, and you are willing to embrace hypocrisy in the hopes of seeing that dream fulfilled.

Nobody is being forced to buy the game and everybody has been made aware of the risks. Of course the game is intended to make money but I disagree that making money is the only goal. I sincerely believe that Chris Roberts is making this game because of his passion, not because of money.

What was pitched in the kickstarter...is not what is being sold now. You can argue every way from Sunday, but people who pledged based off of Squadron 42, or the persistent space sim universe, are now getting a product that is completely different than what was presented during the pledge period. Don't give me that "Roberts was always going to make an FPS-world-space, because that's not what was sold to kickstarters. If Chris Robert's was in this for the passion, he'd have started this project with his own cash, and then presented a functional prototype, before he started asking everyone else to fund his pipe dream.

As I said, I don't like the funding model but am rational enough to accept it was a necessary evil. You're free to disagree. If you don't want to back the game then don't.

The term "necessary evil" is only used by people to justify terrible behavior.

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds
101. Re: Cloud Imperium on Star Citizen Refunds Jul 16, 2015, 08:16 grudgebearer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 19:51:
Kosumo wrote on Jul 15, 2015, 19:01:
I'd like to know if you think selling/pledging a ship in a 'concept' ready stage for ~10 times the price of a whole AAA computer game, for a game that is not ready, or close too, is a sound model for software development?
Yes and no. If this was EA or Activision doing it I couldn't be more critical, as they have the resources to make games without such a business model. However, this game wouldn't have been made otherwise and ship sales have allowed them to make this game the scale it is. In an ideal world this business model should never be used.

Giving CIG a pass on what is and always was a terrible business model that fleeces the gullible into purchasing concept art on the promise that by purchasing the art it will one day be a playable asset in game, all the while stating that EA shouldn't do the same thing is staggeringly hypocritical.

Basically it's ok for CIG to sell in-game assets (years before they are available in a playable game) for massive amounts of money, because CIG couldn't get a publisher to work with him and give him unlimited cash to burn? If you think Star Citizen is about anything more than making money, then you are deluding yourself to a point where you should seek medical help.

Whether it's EA, CIG, Obsidian or any other game dev/publisher their goals are the same: to make games, that are financially successful. There's no altruism here where they just want to make a product and have people enjoy their work, the goal is to make a product that makes people want to spend money on it.

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 2015, 08:46.

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated]
115. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated] Jul 7, 2015, 11:05 grudgebearer

Quboid wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 09:58:
I may be missing something but in that example, DS explains himself and makes a perfectly good case IMHO.

Given the horrendous state of his own magnum opus, Line of Defense MMO, Derek Smart is the last "developer" that needs to be throwing stones at RSI.

If Derek could find anyone to give him that sort of money, he'd have pissed it away trying to implement preemptive user-banning technology on forums instead of actually delivering a fully functional game.

- Harlon Nayl

112. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated] Jul 7, 2015, 08:09 grudgebearer

dsmart wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 07:08:
ps: I get the "steam forums" reference, but you have to understand the difference. My house. My rules. There is no democracy where anti-social behavior is concerned. In this RSI instance, backers have every right to express dissatisfaction since this is PUBLIC money we're talking about. Do you disagree?

They could use the same argument that you employ to silence rational negative opinions, "their house, their rules." As with many kickstarters, backers invested in the development of a piece of software, not in the company itself. In any legal scenario, what has transpired is more akin to commodities speculation than a property transaction.

- Harlon Nayl

102. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated] Jul 7, 2015, 00:44 grudgebearer

dsmart wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 20:21:
(he's banned now btw, he was previously on probation)

Are you a mod over on the RSI forums now? Or are they just taking a page from your playbook and banning anyone who is critical of their games?

*cough*steam discussions*cough*

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > XCOM 2 Announced
20. Re: XCOM 2 Announced Jun 2, 2015, 10:38 grudgebearer

After Firaxis burned me on Beyond Earth, I think I'll be waiting well after launch to get this if at all. They promise a lot with their games these days, but don't seem to deliver till the first expansion pack or later.  

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer
11. Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 8, 2015, 12:17 grudgebearer

Have you ever read any of the fiction? All the fleet battles talk about impossible distances of vast darkness pierced by massive las blasts and such. I know they aren't going to realism, but that's just fugly.  

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer
4. Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 7, 2015, 20:08 grudgebearer

A terrible depiction of space. I understand the need for some theatricality, but bright orange clouds is not the way to pull it off.  

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity
57. Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 19, 2015, 09:59 grudgebearer

I've always hated DnD treatment of armor, both second edition AC/THAC0 and 3.0+ AC. It never made sense to me that having a high armor class made you somehow harder to hit, instead I always thought that armor should reduce the amount of damage you took from a successful hit.

- Harlon Nayl

News Comments > Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity
44. Re: Gone Gold - Pillars of Eternity Mar 18, 2015, 10:05 grudgebearer

Quinn wrote on Mar 18, 2015, 09:44:
I agree, too. I hope PoEt won't be for hardcore CRPG players only. I sucked at Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale horribly. Ten years ago I couldn't even get past the first encounters. I tried the BG remake and I made it about 3 to 4 hours into the game before the enemies were really gaining the advantage. For some reason there's a line to be drawn for me, and BG/Icewind Dale is too hardcore.

I hope this is more toward Neverwinter Nights / Divinity OS but I doubt it :\

Anyone got something to say on this matter whom have played PoEt or know a lot about it?

Not trying to be a dick here, so please don't take it that way, but the creators of Pillars of Eternity have specifically called out the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series as the spiritual basis for the game.

It might be that this isn't the game for you if you didn't like those games.

This comment was edited on Mar 18, 2015, 11:24.

- Harlon Nayl

284 Comments. 15 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo