Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Strango

Real Name Strango   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 23, 2003, 20:08
Total Comments 65 (Suspect)
User ID 17560

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained
38. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 15:14 Strango

I understand what you're saying, but I think you'll find that this won't handle like other games. Your yaw turn speed will be slower in turn rate and slower in reaction time due to the way they are modeling individual thrusters and a ship's true (and dynamic) center of gravity.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 14:48 Strango

Tumbler wrote on Jun 19, 2014, 12:57:
What makes this even more hilarious, they IFCS is setup for hardcore simmers, is the default left right on the stick is Roll, not yaw. In space combat you need to have yaw there, roll is close to worthless...no idea why they thought people would be using roll. Maybe they thought the simmers would want to get blown up a lot and take FOREVER to get kills.

In case you missed it in the article there is an entire section on Yaw vs Roll where they explain why it is setup this way. The quick summary of it is roll allows you to turn harder due to more thrusters being utilized and that hard non-banked turns will stress the ship and possibly cause damage due to the horizontal G force.

16. Re: Star Citizen's Realistic Flight Explained Jun 19, 2014, 12:36 Strango

There is a video in the linked story that shows off a couple of different modes of the flight control system. It looks like players should be able to customize the level of assist to suit the current condition and/or player skill.  

News Comments > Project CARS E3 Trailer
5. Re: Project CARS E3 Trailer Jun 11, 2014, 22:43 Strango

jdreyer wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 22:01:
Creston wrote on Jun 11, 2014, 21:43:
A question for someone who has played both: Which one is more realistic/drives better? Project Cars or Assetto Corsa?

Is Project Cars really going for that hyper realism? I know Assetto Corsa is.

Here's a youtube link showing off the handling on a '60s era F1 car in the wet. Handling looks pretty high fidelity to me.

Project Cars Nürburgring Nordschleife rain Lotus 49

News Comments > Far Cry 4 Co-op Support
7. Re: Far Cry 4 Co-op Support Jun 10, 2014, 15:15 Strango

Creston wrote on Jun 10, 2014, 15:01:
More interesting is the news that, apparently, on the PS4, you can co-op FC4 with people who don't own the game.

F2cooP?

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits $45M
8. Re: Star Citizen Hits $45M Jun 8, 2014, 14:33 Strango

Task wrote on Jun 8, 2014, 14:00:
for all these flight or space sims coming out I can't decide which joystick to get:

Either an X-55 or a Warthog. I've had terrible luck with Saitek's joysticks, i think I had to replace an X-52 like 2 or 3 times, it was ridiculous.

I was just in a similar situation, but didn't want to spend the money on a Warthog. I ended up getting Thrustmaster's T.16000M and using my older X52 Throttle along with it (in games that support multiple controllers). So far it's been working pretty good and was a much cheaper solution.

News Comments > GOG.com Announces Optional Client
3. Re: GOG.com Announces Optional Client Jun 5, 2014, 16:46 Strango

J wrote on Jun 5, 2014, 16:31:
This made my head hurt

If I had to guess they are going to create a matchmaking server for certain games so that clients can find and join one another easier. Given how GOG is mainly old stuff if they were to host IPX network emulator(think Kali) that would open up multiplayer possibilities for a great number of their titles.

News Comments > Bethesda Announces BATTLECRY
5. Re: Bethesda Announces BATTLECRY May 28, 2014, 11:55 Strango

Creston wrote on May 28, 2014, 11:23:
Also, if you ban gunpowder, it doesn't somehow miraculously make all existing guns and ammo disappear

I'm not exactly sure how you enforce a ban on gunpowder to begin with. Physical force won't work because you're going to be outmatched unless you have exponentially greater numbers. Economic sanctions won't work because that will just force them to outright attack you.

News Comments > 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners
7. Re: 37% of Steam Games Never Loaded by Owners Apr 16, 2014, 09:09 Strango

This is true for me mainly because of the indie bundles where I buy a bundle for 1 or 2 games that I want and left with 3 or 4 that I'm not interested in.  

News Comments > Gauntlet Remake This Summer
8. Re: Gauntlet Remake This Summer Mar 17, 2014, 11:08 Strango

MacLeod wrote on Mar 17, 2014, 10:02:
...Without the balance of using actual money to continue or add health, the game doesn't really work. If I can continue an unlimited amount of times, without having to worry about running out of quarters, the danger of the game is gone. I find that you just start barreling through monsters, where in the arcade you actually take your time and try to avoid being hit.

Hammerwatch struck a good balance on this subject. You had a limited number of lives (a shared pool in co-op) and when they were gone that was it. If you restarted it would be back at the first level again. You could earn more lives, but never enough to keep you from playing conservatively. Now with that said I doubt this new title will do something like that, but I hope to be surprised.

News Comments > Second Arma III Campaign Episode Next Month
7. Re: Second Arma III Campaign Episode Next Month Dec 4, 2013, 13:33 Strango

Creston wrote on Dec 4, 2013, 12:59:
What is an infra-red grenade? A grenade that explodes and gives off a brief pulse of infra-red light or something?

If this was modern day I'd guess it was an IR strobe to mark a position for pilots using NVGs. Since this is a future setting it could either be that or perhaps some countermeasure that blinds out a position so that people using IR optics can't see anything there (like a white out).

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2013, 09:37 Strango

Blu-Ray book is a kind of packaging for Blu-Ray movies that looks more like a book with the discs sliding into the "pages".  

News Comments > Arma 3 Beta Next Week
3. Re: Arma 3 Beta Next Week Jun 21, 2013, 11:23 Strango

InBlack wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 10:28:
Well that was pretty quick....Damn I better get the alpha soon. Hopefully its not a shameless money grab and there is substance to the actual game (once its released) because as far as I can see there are only showcase missions. Will there actually be a story campaign in the release version???

There is a single player campaign in the works, but it won't be put out until the full release.

"During the singleplayer campaign, the player will take the role of a British Special Forces soldier, Captain Scott Miller. Initially, the player must survive on their own after friendly forces are defeated in a failed NATO operation. During the campaign, the player will face everything from lone wolf infiltration missions to the commanding of large scale armored operations. The player will be able to choose different objectives and weaponry (such as UAVs, artillery, and air support) according to their play style."

News Comments > MotoGP 13 Demo
12. Re: MotoGP 13 Demo Jun 12, 2013, 16:23 Strango

theglaze wrote on Jun 12, 2013, 13:07:
When was the last decent motorcycle game?

Doesn't really count since it hasn't seen a full release, but the handling in this is really good:
http://www.gp-bikes.com/

News Comments > Arma 3 Alpha Next Week
7. Re: Arma 3 Alpha Next Week Feb 26, 2013, 21:15 Strango

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 26, 2013, 20:53:
...I guess Ill take the supporter edition, since all future DLCs are included...

Be sure to hover over that ? beside it. Standalone expansions are not covered by this.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3: Painful Memories
1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Max Payne 3: Painful Memories Dec 5, 2012, 10:17 Strango

Has the co-op DLC fallen through the cracks?  

News Comments > Miner Wars 2081 Beta on Steam
2. Re: Miner Wars 2081 Beta on Steam Nov 21, 2012, 13:14 Strango

I believe steam is optional; however the fact they said no DRM back in early development and now have an always-on internet check even for single player isn't right. Hopefully they'll reverse that for single player and do something similar to Minecraft in that regard.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video
12. Re: Star Citizen Funding Homestretch; Video Nov 18, 2012, 21:24 Strango

Prez wrote on Nov 18, 2012, 21:18:
...since there is such scant singleplayer info and so much can go wrong. But it's hard for such an old timer Wing Commander junkie as my self to remain entirely apathetic when Chris Roberts starts making space sims again.

The single player / squadron 42 aspect of the game is suppose to be very similar to past Wing Commander games. Now that they've reached the $5M stretch goal there will be 50 missions (branching) in the campaign. That for me is worth the price of admission regardless of how the persistent universe turns out.

News Comments > Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal
49. Re: Star Citizen Hits Kickstarter Goal Oct 24, 2012, 18:37 Strango

Most of the misgivings in this thread seem to be from not having full information.

The way it can be an MMO and not an MMO is that you have the option to host your own private server that still contains a persistent universe.
Chris Roberts:
“We hate DRM, so the intention is to be DRM free.
For the persistent universe you’re going to need to log with your account as we need to be the keepers of location, equipment and status for the obvious reasons. And if you want to have friends drop into your single player experience you will also have to be connected to our servers (as this is how we match make you with your friends)
But you can play the single player game offline with no DRM and you’ll also be able to run your own server without any need to connect to our servers.
Hope that helps!”

You want the sandbox in single player or co-op with just friends? Host a private server.

News Comments > Chris Roberts Game Countdown?
25. Re: Chris Roberts Game Countdown? Sep 10, 2012, 18:15 Strango

WyldKat wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 17:36:
All I want is a Privateer sequel that doesn't suck... oh and that lets me haul cargo... and contraband, in my own ship...

I think you'd be interested in Evochron Mercenary:
http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/

65 Comments. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo