Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3050 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10 Redux
22. Re: Steam Top 10 Redux May 5, 2014, 16:41 Fion

I've been playin the hell out of Dark Souls 2 myself, it's an addictive game. I'm a newbie to the series so I'm getting my ass kicked left and right but it's fun none the less.

The fail people are talking about is mouse support. Only MB1-3 are supported and unlike with keyboard you have to select from a number of pre-set buttons for mouse controls, most of which are M1-3, shift1-3, control 1-3, alt 1-3. It's a clear hold-over from controller. Added on to this is the input lag from mouse. If you hit the key for say 'right attack' and then use mouse, there is a clear latency of perhaps 150ms. That doesn't seam like much but in a game were quick timing is the difference between life and death.. it's a huge issue.

There is a work around for latency with an Autohotkey script around the web. It's a bit of a pain in the ass but many will consider it necessary. I also use my g700 software to set my 4 side and 3 top buttons to keyboard letters and map that in the game so thins like 'switch weapon' 'use item' 'heavy right/left attacks' are now easy to access.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game
17. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 16:28 Fion

Heh no I had no idea. But that actually worsens my opinion of the series.  

News Comments > On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game
15. Re: On Advanced Warfare Realism and Sledghammer's Cancelled Game May 5, 2014, 16:14 Fion

I don't see this game being any better than the last few MW games. How good could it be when they have less than a year to make it?

It's difficult to imagine technology 40 years from how because of how difficult it would have been 40 years ago. jdreyes example is good, but also imagine that the stealth technology was in development since the 50's but didn't see full realization for many, many years. Just imagine what the people at those secret companies are designing today that won't see fruition for 40 years!

One possible example based on emergent technology of today is nanomaterial clothing that is as thin as paper and as flexible as cloth yet can stop objects nearly as fast as bullets by becoming hard and resistant so insanely fast it hardens the nanosecond the bullet hits. Combine this with artificial muscle, exosuits and what have you and our future soldiers could be virtually super-human in their gear.

And this is all based off technologies being developed right now. Not to mention things like gene therapy that is doing amazing things today, let alone 40 years in the future.

This comment was edited on May 5, 2014, 16:25.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization May 2, 2014, 22:05 Fion

Yea kinda shuts down the whole premise of the article ah?

Who exactly is calling for a more Iphone experience from their Android devices? Certainly not me!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - The Amazing Spider-Man 2
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Apr 30, 2014, 15:18 Fion

The new movie is solid, especially if your a fan. Winter Soldier is way better, but then again nobody seems to be able to touch marvel as a supers movie studio these days.

I personally do not think the reboot has been nearly as good as the original two (I don't consider the third to have existed at all lol). Especially comparing the very similar stories of Spiderman 1 and Amazing Spiderman 1. Not even close.

As to the game, yea I'll pick it up when it goes on steam sale for $5 unless it reviews way better than expected. I see it uses that console hold-you-by-the-hand system of flashing on screen every button press you need to make for every single little thing. Blah, at least in Thief I could turn that off!

News Comments > Watch Dogs Season Pass Details
18. Re: Watch Dogs Season Pass Details Apr 29, 2014, 15:34 Fion

xXBatmanXx wrote on Apr 29, 2014, 15:30:
If you need a new vid card, you can Get Watch Dogs for Free if you buy a new GTX card. (I linked Amazon, but Watch Dogs site here with promo)

Yea kinda pisses me off. I bought an EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked just a few weeks back. It came with Daylight, a game nobody had heard of and has average reviews by a fairly unknown developer. Days later that was switched to Watch Dogs. I've emailed EVGA hoping they'll let me switch from Daylight to Watchdogs. I have little hope but I'm trying anyway.

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2014, 15:47.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Season Pass Details
17. Re: Watch Dogs Season Pass Details Apr 29, 2014, 15:31 Fion

Yea I'll wait until all the DLC is on sale for $1.50 on Steam a year from now. I bought Borderlands 2 Season Pass and while some of it was high quality it was pretty bullshit that 1/2 the DLC released wasn't on the Season Pass and had to be purchased separately.

As to DLC being announced before release, almost all of these big companies do DLC out of house (or at least with Ubi, at one of the half dozen other development groups around the world). That's also why a lot of DLC is 'on disk' at launch but unlocked later.

News Comments > Is Destiny Destined for PCs?
14. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 28, 2014, 19:28 Fion

We are about damn due for GTA V PC. At least Watch Dogs is coming in a few weeks. Say what you will about Ubi, they tend to release solid games (with a few misses like AC3).  

News Comments > Is Destiny Destined for PCs?
6. Re: Is Destiny Destined for PCs? Apr 28, 2014, 18:27 Fion

Hehe I'm so exited for this game. Not because I give two shits, but I'm waiting for the internet to explode in hate over the shitty servers and all the downtime. Not to mention the broken promises and half-completed mechanics.

You know, all the typical MMOG bullshit. Only for console players, the first time experiencing that shit is gonna be so funny to watch their reactions.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2014, 11:08 Fion

I rather dislike that the show revealed who did it. The books have only ever hinted at the culprit or culprits. Which lead to lively debate among fans IRL and on the web.

And yes, the story has changed from the book quite significantly with this episode. I do wonder where they are going with it and why the change was made. Just so they could reveal a (not even in the books) BBEG? Martin releases a new book every 4-6 years and it's been just under 3 years since Book 4. So it's entirely possible Book 5 will hit before they are done with Book 3 & 4 on the show.

For you non-PnP RPG'ers out there. BBEG = Big Bad Evil Guy.

Edit: As to why Martin (and many other fantasy authors) take so long to finish a book, I once saw this explanation on Reddit and I think it's very likely the reason why.

Why it takes Martin and others years to write a single 1000 page fantasy novel

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 2014, 11:19.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
4. Re: Sunday Consolidation Apr 27, 2014, 15:24 Fion

nin wrote on Apr 27, 2014, 12:56:
I'll just leave this here, as well.

LOL, guys xbox name is AynRandRules.

News Comments > Rogue Shooter Demo
6. Re: Rogue Shooter Demo Apr 27, 2014, 15:18 Fion

Roguelikes are usually RPGs with procedurally generated levels and permadeath. The goal being get as far as you can/get as high a score as you can before you die and have to start over. Often they include lots of different techniques or powers to try out to see what combination works best.

They are called Roguelike because the idea was started with a game in the 80's called Rogue.

A roguelike shooter 'could' work, but the shooting would have to be super solid to not feel cheated in some deaths.

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 2014, 16:26.

News Comments > Endless Legend Early Access
6. Re: Endless Legend Early Access Apr 25, 2014, 15:22 Fion

I really dislike this 'pay for alpha access' trend. I've bought into a few betas in my time, but only on a game with real promise. Minecraft being one of them.

It just seems that every week there is a new 'hot' alpha title everyone is paying $30-60 for and the week later, it's all but dead. Are my fellow gamers so capricious? Or have so much money burning a hole in their pockets they can pay near-full-price for a game with hardly any content only to forget it existed mere weeks later?

Starbound is a prime example. It was HUGE in that first week or two but very rapidly lost players, at this moment it's like 70th for players on Steam. A game that appeared to be content rich but is actually incredibly shallow (but wide) in terms of gameplay. It 'is' beta, and there is a lot of work ahead, but does anyone really expect the game to somehow pick up that same momentum at final release? Releasing so early may have helped the Developers have the money to finish it but it's going to be a blip on the radar when it hits final release as a $60 game unless improvements and additional content are large enough that everyone doesn't just automatically think 'I've already played this, why do I care now?'

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2014, 15:31.

News Comments > Watch Dogs Multiplayer Video
12. Re: Watch Dogs Multiplayer Video Apr 23, 2014, 21:52 Fion

Quite looking forward to this. May is a month rife with big releases, so money is gonna get tight. But frankly it's been a very dead winter game-wise (save Diablo 3 expansion, which is pretty awesome). So I'm looking forward to having to many games to chose from again.

As to vehicles, why is it the best GTA games in terms of vehicle handling was GTA3 in the 90s? How is it that newer and newer tech and game engines have only degraded the car handling and quality? The little I've played of GTA 5, the vehicles are terrible.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 23, 2014, 15:43 Fion

Supreme court has a history of disagreeing with oral arguments and then voting the other way.

Sadly, with this extreme corporation/unlimited money in politics court, Aero could be proved legal by every court in the world and the Supreme Court is still going to 5/4 kill it. Even if it is nothing more than a rent (as opposed to own) antenna with personal-cloud DVR.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 23, 2014, 15:35 Fion

Our productivity is so high because the idea of the American Dream; Work hard and you can be reasonably successful, even at lower income, has twisted into to 'work hard until the nerves, mental illness and lack of sleep kills you cause you just might make it big one day!'  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2014, 21:40 Fion

A beautiful day on the upper east coast for a family gathering indeed.

The Patric Stewart & Ian McKellen video is hilarious! I like how more than once they agree that the other was right!

News Comments > Evolve Teaser
2. Re: Evolve Teaser Apr 19, 2014, 15:59 Fion

Kind of reminds me of an old Quake 2 mod. The title escapes me atm but it was co-op vs. one player who played a giant robot with rocket boots and massive weapons. The goal was to kill who ever was playing the robot because you would then become the robot. The longer you stayed as the robot the more powerful you became. The game had a set time limit and after that the winner was who ever got the most play time as the giant robot. It came with it's own 'future city' map which had a lot of verticality to it. Me and my friends had a blast playing it as one of the 'cooldown' mods between more serious battles in 3WaveCTF, Rocket Arena or Lithium2 (my favorite mod ever).

Ah Quake 2, my all time favorite multiplayer shooter now and forever.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack
32. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 22:18 Fion

MMOG players are the 3rd most entitled people in the world. What are the other two?

2: Older White Men
1: Teenagers

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack
22. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 16:53 Fion

I don't think I agree with the trait push-back being a bad thing. After all one of the biggest complaints I hear is 'there's nothing to achieve after you unlock all your skills and traits'. Well.. now there is.

Though I do think the levels at which you unlock them now is wonky. Right now it's 1 every 6 levels starting at 30 and 2 every 6 levels after lvl 66. That is convoluted and a lot of people won't understand when they get traits and why. It should have been 1 every 5 levels starting at 20 and 2 at level 80. It's still 14 traits total and much.. much more simple to figure out.

3050 Comments. 153 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo