Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3014 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > More Diablo III Class Skills
26. Re: More Diablo III Class Skills Mar 14, 2012, 14:55 Fion

Early April would be nice. Give me something to play while I wait for GW2 to hit, which in all likelihood is may/june.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes
6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Passes Mar 13, 2012, 15:38 Fion

It's EA, the price won't 'ever' decrease. Okay, 'ever' is the wrong term. 'For another decade' is about right though.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access
36. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 15:36 Fion

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 14:14:
Fion wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 13:53:
I was planning on getting the physical collectors ed before these details just for the art book and the music. But now that I see that they only come in a collectors ed (which probably costs $100), there's no way in hell I'm doing that. I don't care how much I think I might love the hell out of the game, I'm never going to pay that much for one.

So now I'll grab the digital deluxe. Having a Rytlock pet will be cool lol. And I hope the wolf elite is as potent as all the others are. The more skills in the game the better.

Besides, I can always torrent the cd, as we all know it'll be up the within days of release.

Edit: I almost forgot. WOOOT! This means the game is just around the corner.. finally after all this time! YEA!

It doesn't probably cost $100. They say right on the site that it costs $149.99. I'm definitely getting it. I played hundreds of hours of Guild Wars, with no monthly fee. I am just wondering if this has to be ordered through ArenaNet or if I can order from my distributors. ;-)

Yea, missed that somehow. $150 is a bit much in my book. However considering there are no monthly fee's, I'm sure some folks will consider it worth while. I may change my mind, have to wait and see.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access
34. Re: Guild Wars 2 Pre-Purchases Get Beta and Early Access Mar 13, 2012, 13:53 Fion

I was planning on getting the physical collectors ed before these details just for the art book and the music. But now that I see that they only come in a collectors ed (which probably costs $100), there's no way in hell I'm doing that. I don't care how much I think I might love the hell out of the game, I'm never going to pay that much for one.

So now I'll grab the digital deluxe. Having a Rytlock pet will be cool lol. And I hope the wolf elite is as potent as all the others are. The more skills in the game the better.

Besides, I can always torrent the cd, as we all know it'll be up the within days of release.

Edit: I almost forgot. WOOOT! This means the game is just around the corner.. finally after all this time! YEA!

News Comments > The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial
27. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 8, 2012, 19:05 Fion

Yifes wrote on Mar 8, 2012, 17:14:
People keep on saying that this is like KOTOR with multiplayer. Except it's not. The gameplay, atmosphere, story, and pacing is shit compared to KOTOR.

QFT

I bought the game really because it was supposed to be KOTOR 3-10. What I got instead of an exercise in linearity and quest grinding.

Edit: For those of you who want to wait for a sale. Do realize this is EA. There won't be a sale until the game is years old. Then it will go on sale for 10% off.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Trailers
3. Re: matthew@welchkin.net Mar 7, 2012, 10:22 Fion

I see it uses hitscanning, but thats expected anymore I spose.

When he was showing the loadout screen, I was like 'EQUIP A MAX!' I didn't see anyone using one so maybe they aren't in yet. Still, nice gameplay and I'm happy to see some of the old vehicles and their 'modern' redesign.

News Comments > City of Heroes Patched
1. Re: City of Heroes Patched Mar 6, 2012, 22:01 Fion

Wow they revamped Dark Astoria finally. Folks been asking for that for ages. Glad to see the best super hero MMOG is still going.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 6, 2012, 11:34 Fion

Verno wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 10:25:
The only reason Terra Nova even got a full season order with those production costs was Spielberg's backing. Very poorly executed show overall, I've rarely been so bored while watching something with so much potential.

Tell me about it. It's almost as bad as Walking Dead, which is cringe worthy in my book.

And people wonder why I avoid most US television and vastly prefer the stuff the Brits are putting out these days.

News Comments > Game of Thrones: The Game Trailer
3. Re: Game of Thrones: The Game Trailer Mar 3, 2012, 15:40 Fion

What baffles me is they aren't useing the fantastic lore, history, the great houses or any of the known lands of the universe. Instead they are creating new lands and new houses for this game.

Seriously what executive came along and said 'we are going to do a Game of Thrones RPG, but first lets drop all this existing stuff and make our own setting within the universe. I'm sure that'll sell way better."

I mean even if they wanted to get away from the current characters and struggles, they could have just gone back to an earlier age a few hundred years ago. It just doesn't make any sense.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 29, 2012, 13:27 Fion

I actually look forward to the next console releases. Not because I want one, but because it means we might actually get a game that stresses my hardware in the slightest.  

News Comments > Hydrophobia Developer Going Under
12. Re: Hydrophobia Developer Going Under Feb 28, 2012, 16:12 Fion

Yea Hydrophobia was alright. The combat kinda blew but man the water fx in the game are the best I've ever seen. So yea, they should have focused on selling the tech.  

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 at GDC
10. Re: Unreal Engine 4 at GDC Feb 27, 2012, 23:35 Fion

I am so sick of this engine. Every game looks the same, all the characters are identical in every game. It is really getting boring.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans
29. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 17:33 Fion

Asmo wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 17:18:
Fion wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 15:44:
This genre needs to change, it has grown so very stagnant. If GW2 is extremely successful it might actually stir the melting pot of WoW clones and give other publishers incentive to go their own routes with MMOGs. Right now every publisher and their mother has hopped onto the WoW bandwagon and most of them have failed utterly to recreate it's success. With the potential success of GW2 these people might realize that you can be successful without sticking to the formula.

There are plenty of products that do it different, they're just not AAA or well known.

Dragon Nest (anime beat em up "mmo") is a hell of a lot of fun and you can ignore the monetisation for the most part and freeplay.

Realm of the Mad God is a top down shooter 'mmo' which I've played on and off for years. Simple fun, can pick it up and put it down in a second. Particularly impressive is when you get a 50-60 person xp train which snakes across every road on the map annihilating everything in it's path.

Mortal Online, one of the deepest and most realistic MMO games (gives Eve's learning curve a run for it's money) I've ever played.

Not saying that they are everyone's cup of tea of course, but there are quite a few games that aren't just WoW dressed up differently.

Perhaps I should have said 'western MMOGs'. I personally have a hard time playing eastern MMOGs like Dragon's Nest, Invictus, etc.

21. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 15:44 Fion

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 26, 2012, 15:06:
Here is the problem (with MMO's in general). Beyond the setting, and story, there are no new ideas. Nothing brought to the table at all. You have WoW-style skill trees, you have dailies, warfronts (battleground), 4 man instances, and raids. It's all so cookie cutter. It's like MMO Paint by Numbers, these days.

This is why I 'really' hope that GW2 (and to a lesser extent, TERA) are hugely successful. This genre needs to change, it has grown so very stagnant. If GW2 is extremely successful it might actually stir the melting pot of WoW clones and give other publishers incentive to go their own routes with MMOGs. Right now every publisher and their mother has hopped onto the WoW bandwagon and most of them have failed utterly to recreate it's success. With the potential success of GW2 these people might realize that you can be successful without sticking to the formula.

In my mind if GW2 is highly successful it might change the face of MMOG gaming to the extent that WoW has, and EQ did before it. That is a very good thing. Though the side effect may possibly be that instead of WoW clones we'll start seeing GW2 clones lol.

This also reminds me of the days of EQ, when people never thought the genre could grow beyond a few hundred k subs. That it was just a niche. Then WoW came out and proved it could have mass market appeal. But really as huge as WoW has become, I think it's the tip of the iceburg.

Gaming is becoming the primary medium of entertainment throughout the world. The movie industry is stagnating, as is the television industry and the music industry. Every year the number of gamers increases and we really are to the point that even the casual people (which is an absolutely massive group) are beginning to get into main stream gaming more and more. So the next great MMOG could have numbers that make WoW's success seem like EQs. Ten million players? Pff that's nothing given the potential of the genre.

I'm not saying GW2 is that game, but if it's successful it might give publishers and developers the drive to realize that they too can strike out and make a great and unique MMOG that one day could be played by tens of millions of people all over the world.

17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Patch Plans Feb 26, 2012, 15:12 Fion

The game lasted me about three weeks, (not counting early access), which has got to be a new record. I mean I even played WAR for longer then that lol.

I mean I'm happy some are still really enjoying it. My guild basically fell apart within a few weeks as we went from 40+ people pre-release all ready to go to about 10 about a week after early access. I left soon after that, not even waiting for my free month to run out.

Sadly it's simply more of the same thing only placed in an extremely linear box where choice counts for nothing and the entire game can be summed up with one word. Average.

I'm thinking of going back to Rift to wait until GW2 comes out, hopefully around may-june. All we know right now is NCSoft doesn't want to do a late year release and Anet is waiting for the beta weekends in march and april to pan out before they decide whats next.

News Comments > 1M Guild Wars 2 Beta Signups
4. Re: 1M Guild Wars 2 Beta Signups Feb 25, 2012, 15:28 Fion

They are doing GW1 style 'beta weekends'. With GW just about anyone who signed up eventually got into a weekend so I can hope it's the same with GW2.  

News Comments > 1M Guild Wars 2 Beta Signups
2. Re: 1M Guild Wars 2 Beta Signups Feb 25, 2012, 13:55 Fion

Same here.. 1 mil in 48 hours is spectacular but damnit my chances of getting in dwindled down to nothing.

Granted, they have some of the same tech that Aion used and Aion had over 100k beta testers online at once. So maybe there is hope, if they invite that many for each weekend lol.

News Comments > Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans?
20. Re: Blizzard's Free-to-Play Plans? Feb 24, 2012, 13:37 Fion

Alamar wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 11:45:
Fion wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 01:44:
eunichron wrote on Feb 23, 2012, 23:15:

I'm sure that has absolutely nothing to do with the 1 year free Diablo 3 subscription plan they offered in that quarter. Mean

Funny thing is you could purchase Diablo III three times over for the price of a year of WoW. All those idiots bored to death of the game signed up for a year just to get it free, not even realizing that lol.

HAHAHAHA ya... You're so right...

Anyways... I'm sure that everyone that signed up for a free game (assuming they stick with WoW for the year) is a bored idiot... Couldn't be anyone that actually still wants to play that game...

-Alamar

Well yea of course not, that was hyperbole on my part. Still, go figure. I wonder as well how many people got roped into signing up for the year without realizing you cannot cancel your account until that year is over. A lot of non-WoW folks don't realize, but the agreement isn't 'purchase a year of WoW' it's 'agree to purchase WoW for one year at any price plan'. So it locks your account and you are forced to pay for the game for a year. In exchange you get a mount they would have charged $20 for like all the others, and Diablo 3, payed for three times over.

On the topic of Blizzard Dota. If they actually are making a DOTA game, we'll probably get to see screenshots in about four years and a release date in six or seven.

News Comments > BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC
40. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 24, 2012, 13:24 Fion

Cutter wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 11:10:
So don't buy it. Christ, why do people continue to bitch about this stuff yet throw $60 at them? No sale is the only way they learn. At the very least just make it a console rental or wait till it hits the bargain bin.

The reason this has caused such an uproar is that it includes a Prothean character. If it was just some faceless new human nobody would give a shit, but it's a Prothean. A supposedly extinct race that is central to the story of ME1 and heavily involved in ME2. Because of that, people consider it an integral part of the story and thus a character that SHOULD have been in the regular game.

News Comments > Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears
33. Re: Diablo III Launch Date Announcement Nears Feb 24, 2012, 13:11 Fion

Patch 13 has it's ups and it's downs. Adding runes to the UI is an improvement, as you get access to them earlier. But the new skill/rune UI is horrible. It takes up the entire screen, is very simplistic, only showing you six skill 'slots' that, if you don't select an option in the menu, auto-assigns skills as you unlock them. You click on a slot to see what skills you can put in there but it only shows the first few skills available and nothing else, so it's impossible to see what kind of stuff you'll unlock at later levels. It just needs a lot of work.

It does do the job, by appearances, of giving you something new to play with every few levels. It probably does this up to cap, but since you cant see any but the next few skills or runes you'll unlock, there's no way of knowing what all skills you'll get or runes you'll have access to until you get close to unlocking them.

The lag people are talking about is server lag, which it is really really bad lately. But also the lag caused by how the game loads assets. Essentially the first time you do.. anything in the game, it loads that asset at that point. So the first time you use a new skill, you lag like crazy while waiting for the game to load the animation, sfx, etc for that new skill. So combined with the server lag it has made the game a real pain, especially in those first few levels of a new character. Thankfully once each asset has been loaded, it never has to again.

3014 Comments. 151 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo