Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3085 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes
11. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 4, 2012, 13:12 Fion

"We recognize that the item hunt is just not enough for a long-term sustainable end-game."

I'm just waiting for them to announce raiding. You know it's gonna happen!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Secret World Launches
25. Re: The Secret World Launches Jul 3, 2012, 16:08 Fion

Ah good ol' CoX. I still consider it by far the best superhero MMOG, even if it's design is very old compared to most modern MMOGs. I played many many hours of that game with my nephew over the years.  

News Comments > The Secret World Launches
19. Re: The Secret World Launches Jul 3, 2012, 14:09 Fion

I was in the beta and while the game was somewhat clunky, it also has it's bright spots. It oozes atmosphere and the story-driven questing is well done with snappy writing and VO. The animations are sloppy (which is odd considering how good they were in AoC, and it's the same engine) and the combat isn't very cohesive, but it's still solid.

But I agree, Funcom does have a reputation. They used to be my favorite MMOG house, mostly because of Anarchy Online (which is noted for having one of the worst launches in the industry and the most bugs in it's first six months than you could ever foreseeable count), it also had an amazing setting and very innovative features that are considered not only common but necessary in modern MMOGs (instancing, link-items-to-chat, dynamic spawning, 360' flight, just to name a few).

One has to wonder though why Funcom has had several years to fix fundamental (as Mac put it) features of their latest game AoC such as the sieges when you have other companies like Arenanet with not only working sieges, but extremely fun, polished, deep and strategic server vs. server (vs. server) PvP months before the game even launches. PvP so good it not only rivals DAoC's RvR, but surpasses it in many ways.. and the game isn't even out yet!

It makes me think many of the great folks at Funcom somehow don't know what they are doing, or the leadership doesn't have an even remotely defined structure or list of goals. It's just.. baffling. That said I wish them all the luck in the world. I've been interacting with many of the great folks there for ages (since early beta of Anarchy Online) and most are dedicated, intelligent and very creative.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Jun 30, 2012, 14:03 Fion

Dawnguard is getting some pretty poor reviews. I would have thought that a DLC that took apprently six months to make would be better than a buggy new vampire mechanic that messes up the camera and hours of 'cave after cave' with hardly any new monsters or areas. Talk about dropping the ball.

I think I'll wait for a while before picking this up on PC. Give modders enough time to make it actually worth while.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2012, 14:08.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 August 28th
23. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 14:58 Fion

Woot a release date! I guess the whole 6/28/12 thing wasn't technically 'wrong', after all it has turned out to be an important date. Someone on Reddit called this a few days ago as well.

It is nice to 'finally' get a release date, and it's a bit earlier than I expected it to. One more BWE is always nice, I hope the let us keep our characters for one final weekend before the big release.

Edit: Official announcement trailer is up;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-CB0hheQRg&feature=youtu.be

Little sneak peak of Zhaitan. 0.o

News Comments > Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition
24. Re: Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition Jun 22, 2012, 00:09 Fion

You know what the solution is here Blizz. The easy fix. I know, you'd never do this because the $$ you are making off it is just too damn sweet.. but all this crap would stop and you wouldn't have to completely destroy the game for all the legit players if you just dropped your jacked up, money grubbing, game destroying RMAH! It is a FAIl idea, the way you implemented it, leaving a gaping loophole for account hackers and money farmers is FAIL.. and it makes your company and your game FAIL.

That's right.. the triple Fail. It means I am done with you.

News Comments > EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire
34. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 15:08 Fion

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 10:42:
nin wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 09:44:
What a stain D3 has become...

eh, I still hope they continue to fix things and get it right. D2 didn't get where it is overnight - lets hope they come around....

I'm not quite so hopeful as you are. All those great developers who made D2 such a successful and popular game through the years have long since jumped ship to form new companies of their own, like Arenanet.

The Blizzard we are left with today is a pale shadow of it's former self.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Civilization V: Gods & Kings
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Civilization V: Gods & Kings Jun 19, 2012, 12:55 Fion

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 11:30:
Thank you shitty publishers for releasing it on different dates in different regions. It's not like we have this thing called digital distribution which allows for games to be released at the same time around the globe. In the UK we have to wait another two days.

It's time that publishers release games at the same time across all regions. Digital sales will account for more than retail, especially for a title like this. There really is no excuse.

Publishers are slowly being dragged kicking and screaming into digital distribution systems where their roll in gaming is slowly dying away in the same way that tv distributors are being dragged kicking and screaming into the digital age. Slowly but surely.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 17, 2012, 20:24 Fion

Yea my mind is rather blown that Skyrim has remained in the top ten list for this long. I'm sure it'll skyrocket back to the top with Dawnbreaker and especially the summer sale.

Speaking of the summer sale.. bring it on Valve! I'm so bored sitting here with GW2 Beta Weekend withdrawals and nothing new to play. :/

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes and More
22. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 23:02 Fion

Ah Blizzards classic 'need 4 hours of downtime for this hotfix' followed by 'we need one more hour' shenanigans. GW2 beta weekend is on right now and when you get a patch there, you just have to restart and patch up, servers don't even come down. It's so nice!  

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Videos
15. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 03:27 Fion

Once again we get a tech demo from the Unreal Ed guys that in no way represents the actual capabilities of the engine in a real game. Super high quality models in front of cardboard cut-out backgrounds. I did see some nice fluid dynamics and physics but those are more likely than not from a third party.

I myself am rather sick of this engine because it's used in almost every game these days and thus every game looks almost identical. I understand why the industry has taken it as a core part of game design. The tools are rather easy to learn compared to some other engines and uniformity is good for console games. But come on already.

News Comments > Skyrim Dawnguard As Soon as Next Month
18. Re: Skyrim Dawnguard As Soon as Next Month Jun 6, 2012, 19:28 Fion

I don't mind if it's a few months till the DLC hits PC. I've got 230 hours on Skyrim (over 3 characters) and I have barely touched the main story or the war.

On the other hand I'm looking forward to the DLC because if any one aspect of Skyrim is weak, it's the vampirism. There are some nice mods that flesh it out but I'd rather something strait from Bethesda.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta This Weekend
9. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta This Weekend Jun 6, 2012, 13:43 Fion

I'm actually on a EU server lol. Surprisingly my ping stays in the ~150 range and the community is really good. However I suspect since they doubled the server count they'll be offering free server transfers again and I'll take advantage of it. I have several friends who managed to grab keys during the give aways over the last week, looking forward to showing them the ropes.  

News Comments > Star Wars 1313 Trailers
17. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 5, 2012, 14:21 Fion

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 11:55:
Looked like an Uncharted clone to me, which in itself is not a bad thing. Visuals are certainly nice (now watch it not get a PC port in the end!). Not nearly enough info to make a judgement yet but they're on the right track.

This demo was on a high end PC with latest Nviida hardware. You think a console could do that at anything above 5fps? It's kinda funny because in E3's past other companies have had graphics like that and passed it off as 30fps on an xbox360 and then later had to admit it was all CGI lol.

News Comments > Star Wars 1313 Trailers
14. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 5, 2012, 14:05 Fion

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 11:23:
Chest-high walls... yay! Wall

QFT

I don't care how good the graphics are. If your game still revolves around thigh height walls and regenerating health, your game sucks.

Cheap, hackneyed design like the random walls in the middle of your corridor shooters is just one more console shooter creation that has ruined the genre.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jun 5, 2012, 11:38 Fion

What do people expect? This is E3 we are talking about here. A half dozen years ago it was the pinnacle of gaming conventions. Today shows like Gamescom, GDC, PAX and even G-Star have made E3 their bitch.  

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jun 3, 2012, 16:13 Fion

The console market is beginning to dry up because we are so late in this current cycle and there's not a blip on the radar about the next consoles.

That said, PC Gaming is thriving right now. It doesn't put out the shear numbers that console games do, but it's the only traditional market that is growing, and growing fast. Up 15% last year and that doesn't factor in things like indie games, the growth of digital services, etc. Even shit like Origin is making crazy amounts of money.

And for the record, using E3 as your main point on why the industry is dying is a bad idea. E3 is by far the worst gaming convention out there. It's only use is for the big name companies to release trumped up CGI and videos about their new products that never live up to the hype. It was once the defacto gaming convention, now it's just a joke.

E3 started to blow when it became all about the industry and not about the fans. It's why Gamescom, PAX, GDC and others are growing bigger each year and E3 becomes smaller and increasingly irreverent. Shit even G-Star is bigger and more interesting.

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 2012, 16:28.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Demo
5. Re: Batman: Arkham City Demo May 31, 2012, 23:13 Fion

I got this game when it hit from Greenmangaming. Unfortunately thanks to their craptastic 'manditory' program, the game would never install and I went round and round with them to get it fixed and it never did (I tried again a few weeks ago). As you can imagine it put me off the company.

I'm hoping to see the game on steam cheap maybe this winter.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Event Details
6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Event Details May 29, 2012, 13:35 Fion

Kinda sucks that it's two weeks away but I'm glad we finally have a date for it.

That said, WOOT! No character wipe. Holy wow!

This comment was edited on May 29, 2012, 13:40.

News Comments > Diablo III Patch
5. Re: Diablo III Patch May 29, 2012, 13:32 Fion

Darks wrote on May 29, 2012, 13:18:
Rattlehead wrote on May 29, 2012, 13:09:
first

So!

Can anyone explain to me why would Blizz take an ability that had only 2 seconds to begin with and now reduce it to one second? How does this make any logical sense? I mean by the time you activate it, itís over. Thereís no benefit whatsoever for having an ability like this when itís been nerfed to shit. This type of skill I do not waste my time with if it has no benefit at all to you or the party. blizz sucks ass!

This is Blizzard we are talking about here. The only MMOG company that has yet to find a semblance of balance in their game in over seven years. It doesn't 'matter' if it makes no sense.

3085 Comments. 155 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo