Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 2953 (Senior)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III "Is Nearing"
21. Re: Blizzard to Korea: Diablo III Jan 23, 2012, 16:52 Fion

If it doesn't come out in the next few months they won't release it this year simply because Kungfu Pa.. er Mists of Pandaria is coming out around then. Though frankly I'm pretty sure Pandaria will hit a lot sooner than their 'traditional' release window simply because of how fast they are losing subscribers.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 This Year, Beta Expanding Soon
21. Re: Guild Wars 2 This Year, Beta Expanding Soon Jan 23, 2012, 16:38 Fion

eunichron wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 14:48:
If they can make it work, it will be great. I played GW1 up to the Nightfall expansion and the only things I did not like were the instanced world, and the PvP focus (though I hear the Eye of the North expansion greatly expanded PvE), both of which look to be fixed for GW2.

The dynamic content leveling idea is neat, but my greatest fear is that it will be one of those, "I'm max level, now what?" deals.

Yea a lot of people are worried about that, as there are no raids. I try to tell them that because leveling is next to meaningless because you can do almost all the content at any level, that the entire game is end game. But that doesn't mean there won't be things to do once you cap besides de-leveling for content you missed, etc. There's WvWvW, which I think is 'really' going to be end game even though it too, can be done at any level. We don't know a whole lot yet about World v World, but what we do know is pretty awesome. It's a mix of PvP and PvE with everything in between with content for solo players, 'formal' 5 man groups, masses of players such as guilds, etc.

On top of that you have a lot left to do for character customization, from finding that cool dye you really want that's only in a very difficulty explorable mode dungeon. Also gathering elite skills. Each reportedly will require their own little story or event, and they are supposedly going to be rather hard for the more powerful elites. There's also traits to gather, rare outfits to find, etc.

I think in the end perhaps some people will be disappointed once they hit cap. But I suspect those are also the people who will dislike the game because it isn't enough like WoW.

15. Re: Guild Wars 2 This Year, Beta Expanding Soon Jan 23, 2012, 13:39 Fion

Tim Collins wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 13:33:
GW2 is "suppose" to be the spiritual successor to DAOC, we'll see

Anet has never said that. It's only called that because of the 3 way server battles. While these remind people of RvR it's not necessarily the same. Particularly because it's not just PvP, it's a mix of all forms of gameplay, PvP and PvE, with it's own dynamic events and goals to achieve for small or large groups, individual players and entire guilds.

Once we get a nice big reveal on WvWvW we'll know more.

12. Re: Guild Wars 2 This Year, Beta Expanding Soon Jan 23, 2012, 13:09 Fion

Verno wrote on Jan 23, 2012, 12:39:

The sequel has enough dynamic gameplay elements to appeal to me, I'm really kind of done with traditional MMOs after simply burning out on the underlying formula.

QFT. I am so very over the WoW style of themepark MMOG, to the point where before I learned of GW2, I was ready to stick with sandboxes from then on. But while GW2 has a mix of both, it is at heart a themepark and thankfully Anet has the guts to try and move one of the most stale genre in gaming forward into the future.

In the end I think GW2 will see moderate success as it seems for every person glad to see GW2 getting away from such tropes as exclusionary end game (raiding), the holy trinity and gear-centric power creep, there's another who simply cannot fathom an MMOG without them.

GW2 is going to have a fairly high learning curve simply because all those things MMOGs like WoW drilled into all our heads will need to be forgotten with GW2. The gameplay won't be focused on standing around, trading blows and hoping you have a good healer to keep you alive and a good tank to take agro and absorb hits. Each player will be required to be self sufficient, and to be able to act and react dynamically in combat. In the end however I really think that after GW2 many of us will find it simply impossible to go back to a simple system of standing around and doing your classes rotation while doing your 'kill 10 rats' quests.

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 2012, 13:37.

3. Re: Guild Wars 2 This Year, Beta Expanding Soon Jan 23, 2012, 11:16 Fion

WOOT WOOT WOOT!

/slaps Cutter

WAKE UP!

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
3. Re: Sunday Mobilization Jan 22, 2012, 16:55 Fion

The 'G' buzzword is ridiculous. You can spend an extra $60 a month on 4g and more often than not, it's a scant difference. It's just like a few years back when the craze over megapixels got rather stupid. 'Hey my new phone has a 8megapixel camera! Totally worth the extra $70 I spent over the one with the 7.8 megapixel one!'  

News Comments > The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer
33. Re: The Old Republic Cancellation Issues; Trailer Jan 19, 2012, 17:06 Fion

SWTOR is my holdover till TSW and, eventually Guild Wars 2. I'm canceling my account, but not because I dislike the game, but rather because I hate having my monthly fee go out this late in the month. I'll be re-subbing early next month.

And for the record I had absolutely no problem canceling.

This comment was edited on Jan 19, 2012, 17:14.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2012, 14:42 Fion

Those moviegoers should have known better. Hollywood always fawns over the the movies that go retro, or they have unusual styles to them. Even though (more often than not) the movie actually sucks. Just like they reward actors who play character's with an unusual look that makes you think it's not actually that actor.

Doesn't help that there's all kinds of sound and music in the trailer as well.

News Comments > Diablo III Systems Changes
14. Re: Diablo III Systems Changes Jan 19, 2012, 14:31 Fion

Cabezone wrote on Jan 19, 2012, 14:23:
Many of these decisions make no sense to me. Especially the completely pointless unidentified items system and the tons of worthless loot system.

I can see why they are keeping 'unidentified rares+', because sometimes it's nice to unwrap that present to see what you got. Making it a simple right click is nice at least. But your second point is the real head scratcher. They are trying to rework the drops so you don't pick up white items (because they are useless), and at the same time white items will no longer be salvageable. So what's the point of having white items then right? To pad your gold maybe? Only problem there is they don't sell for squat and Blizzard has said they don't want you to even pick them up in the first place. So in the end are whites there now just to pad the drop rate so the player thinks there are tuns of items in the game? I mean the writeup is right that in D2 they did the same thing with arrows and bolts.

Either way beta patch 10 includes a lot of these changes and is coming out before the weekend is over. I'm looking forward to testing them out and to see what the point is with white items now.. if there even is one lol. You already in beta replace all your whites with blues by level 5 as it is.

News Comments > Diablo III Systems Changes
6. Re: Diablo III Systems Changes Jan 19, 2012, 13:58 Fion

I personally think they could find a much more interesting system for customization without going back to skill trees. The skill tree is such a dated system after all, and it had plenty of it's own problems.

And yes, groan.. probably yet another year of development. You should probably revamp the entire game engine while your at it Blizzard, because it already looks like a 2004 game.

Many of these proposed changes don't really seem necessary. Crafting is fine.. perhaps it's a little boring though. I don't see why the core attributes need changing, they very easily represented your stats, what they affect, etc. Lastly inventory.. why does that need to be revamped? It works just like any other RPG.

In the end what people complained about most was that you unlock all your active and passive skills as well as all your skill 'slots' by 30, which from what I understand you get to in early Nightmare mode. That left 30 more levels with no new unlocks, but it isn't the end of customization either. New gear enters the game at Nightmare, runes enter the game then, giving each skill in the game five potential modifications that really affect the skill not just cosmetically, and of course gems and socketing come into play apparently rather late in Normal mode too.

And here everyone was hyped about the game coming out in the next month or two.

News Comments > World of Darkness Details
8. Re: World of Darkness Details Jan 17, 2012, 02:31 Fion

I expected 'eve with fangs'. Frankly you couldn't do WoD with quests after all. Even Vampire: Bloodlines had 'far' to much vampire to vampire killing. V:tM and more so V:tR are about politics, backstabing, infighting.. not about accepting question marks and slaughtering a group of NPC's in a nearby building.  

News Comments > No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin
18. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 13:44 Fion

There's already a 150 page thread on the ME3 forums about this. It's basically fully of people proving it's basically shareware and even those that don't think it is, most won't use it because it's simply a shitty program and a resource hog.

I'd say Bioware should be worried, but they know better than to show that in the face of their EA overlords.

News Comments > No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin
10. Re: No Mass Effect 3 on Steam; Requires Origin Jan 15, 2012, 13:24 Fion

Looks like I'm skipping ME3 then. Sad really I enjoyed the first two. But to play it I'm required to install spyware filled Origin? Like hell. When will these greedy fucks realize you cant clamp down and control the PC format like you can consoles?  

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Fighting Anti-piracy measure Jan 14, 2012, 17:44 Fion

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/01/14/us/HACK-1/HACK-1-blog480.jpg

With the pic on the right, if that's an alien trying to look human to spy on our media companies it's doing a piss poor job of it.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2012, 17:50.

News Comments > World of Warcraft PTR Patch Notes
5. Re: World of Warcraft PTR Patch Notes Jan 13, 2012, 17:02 Fion

Thats why the few friends I have that still play, continue to. They are bored out of their minds but they continue to pay that $15 a month simply because of the time and money they have invested into their characters.

Note it's also these people who think GW2 is going to suck because it won't have a monthly fee. They are so damn brainwashed by WoW and they don't even realize it!

News Comments > The Old Republic Update Next Week
18. Re: The Old Republic Update Next Week Jan 13, 2012, 14:40 Fion

GW2 is removing the concept of 'end game' as it stands in MMOGs today by removing raiding entirely and making 'leveling' less than a strict linear path. Because you can de-level and be boosted in levels to do virtually any activity in the game, at any level, essentially the entire game is end game. You might be level 10 and get boosted to 80 for PvP or you might be 80 and get de-leveled to 30 when your guild gets together to do the Tequatl dragon's Dynamic Event chain. Likewise you might really like the look of the gear from dungeon A that is level 50. So you are de-leveled to about 53 and run the explorable mode (which is branching, has dynamic content within and is decidedly challenging). You run it several times and get the set of items, then work towards getting some transmutation stones to convert your 80 gear's stats to that new outfit.

So you see, the entire game is end game. And that doesn't mean there isn't anything to do at 80 either. Just like GW1 there is still a plethora of content to explore, your branching personal story to finish (I can say one thing about GW2's story over SWTORs, it can actually change based on the choices you make). There are guild and personal achievements to attain, that mean more than just wow style points. There are traits and elite skills to obtain. Elites require completion of their own individual activity, and some certainly will not be easy. Traits will work similarly, and they augment your characters abilities to make them your own.

So yea, no raiding in GW2. Instead they did what MMOGs probably should have done half a decade ago, make it so the game doesn't start or stop at cap, but rather make an MMOG where all content is potentially end game content.

Edit: on topic, I'm enjoying SWTOR a lot right now. I am rather 'over' themepark MMOGs as they stand today (WOW clones) and will almost certainly get bored FAST at 50. But I level slowly, my main is only lvl 29 atm and I've been playing since the 15th. In the end the game is an enjoyable hold over until The Secret World hits and I can decide if it's worth playing.

In the end though no matter what I'm playing, when GW2 comes out I'm jumping ship. The only way I won't is if the game bombs, if everything they've said about the game is a lie. But then again I already know it isn't. I've played the game, several hours of it in fact. PAX East was fun, had a lot of different things to do in the game and I got a really good taste of just how much of a leap forward the game really is, even right out of the gate at level 1.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2012, 14:49.

News Comments > Minecraft Patched
3. Re: Minecraft Patched Jan 12, 2012, 23:54 Fion

Have to agree with Panbient. Remember a year ago when major iterations (a full .1) meant 400 word patch notes, two dozen new items, new biomes, new creatures, new activities, etc?  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Trailer
1. Re: PlanetSide 2 Trailer Jan 6, 2012, 12:10 Fion

Nice to see some of the aerial combat. Game looks to be really shaping up. My only criticism would be the sunrays are really overdone. It's looks completely blinding on some of those maps.  

News Comments > Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III "Almost Done"
20. Re: Diablo 15 Year Anniversary Website - Diablo III Jan 5, 2012, 13:44 Fion

Being in beta (as short as it might be) I can say the game really 'feels' like Diablo. The base mechanics are very solid, the classes are all fun and feel different (and have different power curves). The graphics are.. well they are kinda shit. When you've been making a game for a decade and your engine is based on 2006 tech, that's to be expected.

Good thing is, Diablo has 'never' been about the graphics. The gore sure, the horrific creatures, the sweet class abilities, but never about the graphics themselves.

The mechanics are incredibly dumbed down but there is actually still a fair deal of complexity involved in the characters, this will be especially true at higher difficulties where you cant blow through Hell with a poorly set up character. Skill choice matters, as do runes and passives. You cant allocate your attributes and that f'ing blows, but IMHO it's better than a skill tree while retaining the customization of your character compared to others of your class. There will certainly be 'defacto Hell builds' but choices of passive skills and runes will really separate the 'good players' from the 'bad'.

As to 'online only', that's been biting blizzard in the ass in beta and caused a great deal of ire amongst testers.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2012, 13:50.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jan 5, 2012, 13:41 Fion

If anything World of Tanks and DOTA really prove the point of how crazy popular and profitable F2P can be.  

2953 Comments. 148 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo