Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 2952 (Senior)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Wars 1313 Trailers
17. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 5, 2012, 14:21 Fion

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 11:55:
Looked like an Uncharted clone to me, which in itself is not a bad thing. Visuals are certainly nice (now watch it not get a PC port in the end!). Not nearly enough info to make a judgement yet but they're on the right track.

This demo was on a high end PC with latest Nviida hardware. You think a console could do that at anything above 5fps? It's kinda funny because in E3's past other companies have had graphics like that and passed it off as 30fps on an xbox360 and then later had to admit it was all CGI lol.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Wars 1313 Trailers
14. Re: Star Wars 1313 Trailers Jun 5, 2012, 14:05 Fion

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 5, 2012, 11:23:
Chest-high walls... yay! Wall

QFT

I don't care how good the graphics are. If your game still revolves around thigh height walls and regenerating health, your game sucks.

Cheap, hackneyed design like the random walls in the middle of your corridor shooters is just one more console shooter creation that has ruined the genre.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Jun 5, 2012, 11:38 Fion

What do people expect? This is E3 we are talking about here. A half dozen years ago it was the pinnacle of gaming conventions. Today shows like Gamescom, GDC, PAX and even G-Star have made E3 their bitch.  

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jun 3, 2012, 16:13 Fion

The console market is beginning to dry up because we are so late in this current cycle and there's not a blip on the radar about the next consoles.

That said, PC Gaming is thriving right now. It doesn't put out the shear numbers that console games do, but it's the only traditional market that is growing, and growing fast. Up 15% last year and that doesn't factor in things like indie games, the growth of digital services, etc. Even shit like Origin is making crazy amounts of money.

And for the record, using E3 as your main point on why the industry is dying is a bad idea. E3 is by far the worst gaming convention out there. It's only use is for the big name companies to release trumped up CGI and videos about their new products that never live up to the hype. It was once the defacto gaming convention, now it's just a joke.

E3 started to blow when it became all about the industry and not about the fans. It's why Gamescom, PAX, GDC and others are growing bigger each year and E3 becomes smaller and increasingly irreverent. Shit even G-Star is bigger and more interesting.

This comment was edited on Jun 3, 2012, 16:28.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham City Demo
5. Re: Batman: Arkham City Demo May 31, 2012, 23:13 Fion

I got this game when it hit from Greenmangaming. Unfortunately thanks to their craptastic 'manditory' program, the game would never install and I went round and round with them to get it fixed and it never did (I tried again a few weeks ago). As you can imagine it put me off the company.

I'm hoping to see the game on steam cheap maybe this winter.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Event Details
6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Event Details May 29, 2012, 13:35 Fion

Kinda sucks that it's two weeks away but I'm glad we finally have a date for it.

That said, WOOT! No character wipe. Holy wow!

This comment was edited on May 29, 2012, 13:40.

News Comments > Diablo III Patch
5. Re: Diablo III Patch May 29, 2012, 13:32 Fion

Darks wrote on May 29, 2012, 13:18:
Rattlehead wrote on May 29, 2012, 13:09:
first

So!

Can anyone explain to me why would Blizz take an ability that had only 2 seconds to begin with and now reduce it to one second? How does this make any logical sense? I mean by the time you activate it, itís over. Thereís no benefit whatsoever for having an ability like this when itís been nerfed to shit. This type of skill I do not waste my time with if it has no benefit at all to you or the party. blizz sucks ass!

This is Blizzard we are talking about here. The only MMOG company that has yet to find a semblance of balance in their game in over seven years. It doesn't 'matter' if it makes no sense.

News Comments > Op Ed
30. Re: Op Ed May 27, 2012, 00:28 Fion

NegaDeath wrote on May 26, 2012, 23:34:
Tried the demo a couple months ago. Found it boring. Incredibly boring. This type of game is usually right up my ally but this felt so by the numbers my brain turned off. I wish the former employees well but I couldn't see this breaking 3 mil.

The demo is the tutorial, and yea the tutorial was crap. Not till you get a good bit farther into the game, unlock some new skills, get fateweaving, that the gameplay becomes decently fun.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed May 26, 2012, 16:24 Fion

I agree Deqer. It didn't help that the whole setting and storyline in the game is just so damn generic. All this huge talent from a variety of industries and they went with a typical 'evil elves trying to take over the world and you, a nondescript soldier must become the ultimate hero to defeat them.'

There were interesting parts, like the fateweaving was an interesting mechanic, but other than that it was all so.. done to death by other games over the years. (Not to mention that's also the storyline for every single Bioware game every made. As good as their games can be, the storyline is identical in every single game..)

Still, I do recommend the game, especially if it's like on a steam sale for $10 or something. It's quite fun, the combat is some of the better 'action rpg' combat I've seen and the monsters are fun to fight.

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Next Week; Real Money Auctions Postponed Again
57. Re: Diablo III Patch Next Week; Real Money Auctions Postponed Again May 26, 2012, 01:51 Fion

RMAH delayed again? I'm starting to think Blizz is going 'oh shit, all this account hacking.. it's only going to get worse with the RMAH as those hackers start making $$ hand over first with the shit they've stolen by selling it on Blizzards own marketplace. Win win."

As to the game itself, it's solid. A week and a half out and I'm already growing bored. Nightmare is completely broke, Hell not much better. The story is really short and pretty 'meh' accept a few plot twists, etc.

Although this might be GW2 beta withdrawals speaking.

This comment was edited on May 26, 2012, 02:05.

News Comments > The Secret World Delay; Beta Details
3. Re: The Secret World Delay; Beta Details May 25, 2012, 12:45 Fion

I wouldn't say the game is terrible. There are certainly some interesting ideas and the game has a really solid vibe going on. But it is 'really' rough around the edges. My biggest problem with it is that the model is subscription fee + 'heavy' microtransactions (you only get 2 character slots per account to start for example). It simply isn't good enough to warrant such a steep cost. (Especially compared to GW2...)

I really don't know whats been up with Funcom in these last several years, they've been doing some pretty 'meh' work, even with a company restructuring. Perhaps it's money issues, perhaps it's lack of talent. Their 2001 Anarchy Online was a smash to play (though it too was extremely rough around the edges at launch, Funcom did a great deal to fix that in the first few months). It was original, beautifully designed and extremely innovative, as have been the expansions (for example we get the term Themepark, a quest driven MMOG from their first expansion. WoW borrowed very heavily from the idea.)

News Comments > Diablo III Claims Sales Record
25. Re: Diablo III Claims Sales Record May 23, 2012, 13:17 Fion

It's a solid game but I don't see myself spending any more time within after a few more weeks were as I played D2 on and off for years, put thousands of hours into that game. The reasons for this one not living up to my expectations are few but striking, a great deal of the complexity and depth and synergy of the original is gone. I'm actually a fan of removing skill trees but I think removing them could, (should) have lead to more depth and customization, not less.

The biggest reason I am disappointed, is that itemization is horrible. In hell blues are almost always better than oranges. Gone are the days of getting all excited when that boss drops a big weapon only to find it's yet another +all stats, +1/2/3 other near meaningless bonuses. Every class can use all but the one or two weapon that are 'class only'. That big sledgehammer is just as useful to a wizard as it is a barbarian. Past Nightmare the 'only' thing that matters are main stat/vitality armor and dps gear because the other stats are just so freaking meaningless there.

I think I now know why they never let us get past lvl 13 in the beta. It wasn't because they wanted to hide spoilers, it's because they didn't want us to know how f'ing boring and homogenized everything was going to be past Act 1.

Nice to see PC Gaming doing so well, even if it will affirm to every other publisher that we are willing to accept draconian DRM and 'always on' policies. There was that big moment when nobody could get in at the start and thus metacritic and amazon were bombed but that quickly faded.

I still will enjoy it but unless we get a miracle patch in the next month or two that suddenly makes everything interesting again or adds some of the complexity D2 had, I don't see any real staying power.

News Comments > Ad Says Guild Wars 2 Next Month
21. Re: Ad Says Guild Wars 2 Next Month May 16, 2012, 00:50 Fion

eunichron wrote on May 15, 2012, 23:26:
As amazing as what they have already is, it's nowhere near done. Half the instances don't work, two of the races aren't even implemented! No way in hell this is being released any time within 2 months.

Asura and Sylvari are in, they just aren't available in the beta weekends. Anet wants to have some surprises for release, but if we are lucky we'll get em in the next BWE. Lucky closed beta testers.

News Comments > The Secret World Beta Event This Weekend
8. Re: The Secret World Beta Event This Weekend May 15, 2012, 17:14 Fion

NKD wrote on May 15, 2012, 14:24:
I'll give you the TL;DR on this game thus far (I am in the ongoing closed beta, got in a couple weeks ago.)

It's got good and unique character progression and a wildly varied setting that isn't really like any other game, and a story that I think is more interesting than SWTOR (But less well voice-acted). But it suffers from a massive lack of polish. This game is supposed to come out next month but it's got super floaty and disconnected combat, crap character creation, etc.

Great concept, decent execution, but poor window dressing will kill it for a lot of players and prevent it from being really successful. That and the fact that they haven't even tried advertising this thing.

That would be my review as well. It has improved a lot in the last month but for a game that is one month from release it is extremely rough around the edges.

Unfortunately as well being Pay 2 Play + heavy microtransactions based, GW2 is going to just destroy it if released in a similar time table.

News Comments > The Secret World Beta Event This Weekend
7. Re: The Secret World Beta Event This Weekend May 15, 2012, 17:11 Fion

Jdrez wrote on May 15, 2012, 13:56:
I just love how basically every game now only wants to give beta access to pre-orders. In the old days you'd sign up and a while later you'd get in. It's like they're charging people to be their QA.

I signed up for the secret world beta over a year ago and never got anything but spam from them.

I've been in the closed beta for a few months now. I think it's really small, though they did add a tun of new folks about a week ago.

Keep those fingers crossed.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Grease pit? May 13, 2012, 12:55 Fion

For all those who still need to pick up some flowers (you procrastinators you!) find your local Aldi as they always have roses on the cheap. You can buy a bunch of them, a vase to sort them for under $10.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Stress Test
4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 10, 2012, 21:50 Fion

Yea. Blogpost says the build is the same as last weeks so go ahead and keep it. On the plus side, characters haven't been wiped yet either.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Stress Test
2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test May 10, 2012, 21:38 Fion

Oh good. I need another fix of Guildcrack 2. I was starting to get the shakes.  

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Delayed
24. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed May 9, 2012, 13:29 Fion

nin wrote on May 9, 2012, 10:56:
Hey! Falls open! Stuff GTA5 in there! NOW!

No no, time for GW2 to slide in to an empty fall and take the world by storm.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year
32. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Next Year May 3, 2012, 14:15 Fion

I almost feel bad for any MMOG currently in development that comes out after GW2 and features questing, WoW style combat, etc. GW2 really changes things, and for the better. I'm sure WoW clones will always have a market, but by then the rest of us will have moved on to the next generation of MMOG gaming.  

2952 Comments. 148 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo