Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3016 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes
22. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 02:20 Fion

Creston wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 22:08:
So, on a more normal topic, question about WvWvW. Played it for awhile this afternoon, it was pretty cool, though it seemed largely pointless as we kept zerging back and forth between an enemy keep and our own home base. They'd rush us, we'd get overrun, they'd follow us to our home base where we'd regroup, we'd drive them back, at which point they would retreat into the keep, and since we didn't have the manpower to break down the gate (which had at least a MILLION hitpoints. I guess it was made from the souls of the damned, or something), and back and forth and back and forth.

Anyway, it earned okay XP, and decent karma, but how the heck do you make money in WvW? I got my 50 kills for my monthly (against ~ 7 or 8 deaths, so not too bad, I think), and the grand amount of loot I got out of it was worth approximately 30 coppers. In the mean time, I spent about 10 silvers repairing my shit every time I died. So how is this a financially viable method of leveling up? Am I missing something? I got loot from only a few guys that I killed; most of them left nothing...

Is there some secret to getting rewarded in WvWvW that I'm not privy to?

Creston

I'll never understand the whole 'if it doesn't have a carrot, it isn't fun' mentality. That said, Creston if you want to enjoy World vs World I recommend finding a guild that has a presence in WvW on your server. It's a whole hell of a lot more fun that way when you have a coordinated group using siege weapons and other tactics to crush the roving zergs.

It's the servers with large WvW focused guilds that own the hell out of everyone else because use of tactics, good siege weapon placement, etc. The only downside is of course the queue times.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes
21. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 02:03 Fion

Frijoles wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 16:42:
Players can now do the production portion of crafting without having to pull the resources from their bank.

THANK GOD. Glad to see they're working on getting discovery to work the same way.

I don't think I'd like discovery to work out of your bank like regular crafting. It would take all the.. discovery out of it. Crafting different items and seeing how they might combine, discovering new items by looking at special crafting mats and trying to mix and match is what I find most fun about the crafting. If all mats showed in discovery it would simply become a game of 'click the highlighted items'. IMHO, that would take all the fun out of it.

News Comments > G4 Makeover Coming?
7. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 7, 2012, 12:35 Fion

Did some exec wake up and realize that most gamers aren't 13 anymore?  

News Comments > Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans
9. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 14:50 Fion

Wait.. since when do WoW players use CC?  

News Comments > More on Valve's Hardware Plans
22. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 14:43 Fion

Valve is traditionally a software company. Open platforms like the... and Mac

What, what, WHAT?

On topic, I'm interested to see where they go with this. Just so long as it doesn't impact the software side of things.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Status Report
22. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 2, 2012, 18:08 Fion

The game's a little rocky in areas but for a strait up purchase it's still probably the best $60 I've spent in years. Ok.. I spent $150 but that's besides the point!

I whole heartedly recommend the game. I have a hard time logging off at night. It's one of those games where you say 'ok I'm going to do this Heart 'quest' and log.' Then the next thing you know the sun is rising. Having a fun guild with folks that like to get together for skilled dungeon runs, World vs World and just all around fun makes the game even better.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2012, 15:10 Fion

I personally only drink Sierra Mist natural anymore, on the off chance I drink soda.

I think we'll be seeing more and more sugared foods as this years corn crop has been pretty devastated. HF Corn Syrup prices are shooting up. They are slaughtering a record number of cows this year because they don't have the corn to feed them (do note that Cows can barely make a year living on corn as it is.) I've started seeing cow-skin rugs and blankets at big-box stores here in NY. Gas prices are rising in large part do to the corn prices as well because of ethanol.

Its times like this that make you realize just how much corn we grow in this country (and how small a part of that crop is edible), and just how many things we use it for.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Footage
8. Re: Borderlands 2 Footage Sep 1, 2012, 18:50 Fion

Someone on here posted it actually. Was more than a month ago.  

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Footage
3. Re: Borderlands 2 Footage Sep 1, 2012, 14:54 Fion

Gameplay looks good. I do hope the PC version has FoV options. The skills look a little canned. I mean tank and healer specs? How useful is that whole Siren healer tree in solo? And are you locked into a single tree considering they are much 'deeper' than in the first game.

On a good note, I do like the weapons. They seem even more diverse and interesting than BL1. I've already got this sucker pre-purchased, $33 from greenman gaming (steam unlock). Looking forward to it.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success
59. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 18:03 Fion

Graham wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 15:02:
Creston wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 14:25:
Fion wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 13:46:
FYI as well Creston. It's been mentioned that the wiki for the game is very well done. You can actually access the wiki in game by typing /wiki 'subject' in the chat window. It's very handy.

That's a very handy tip, thanks.

Thanks to others as well for the hints and tips. I should be back on tonight and I'll send out msgs to get into the guild.

Creston

Seriously, great tips. I was doing alright, but there's still a lot of mystery here (I actually found GW1 a little harder to pick up, but that could be due to the multitude of expansions and not knowing where to start).

The /wiki tip? Brilliant. Just... brilliant.

You're both welcome lol

News Comments > City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed
3. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 15:42 Fion

Def sad to hear. I played for years on and off. I used to play it with my nephew all the time, many great memories of course. The developers behind the game are great generally and very interactive with the community. I hope they go on to make even better games.

CoH > All other super hero MMOGs!

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success
35. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 13:46 Fion

FYI as well Creston. It's been mentioned that the wiki for the game is very well done. You can actually access the wiki in game by typing /wiki 'subject' in the chat window. It's very handy.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Launches
74. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launches Aug 28, 2012, 20:23 Fion

Saboth wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 18:14:
I hate Guild Wars 2. Why? Because I've been playing it 3 days and haven't left the starting area because I have 5 classes and they are all fun to play. I can't decide which one to choose. I'm leaning towards engineer (as I like strategy type classes vs simply hack/slash), but by all accounts, it probably needs the most tuning.

I got my first character out of the starting zone just about two hours ago myself lol.

One of the real genius designs of this game is how your powers are based off weapons, and each weapon has different skills on different classes. Combined with the 30+ heal/utility/elite skills per class it makes each one feel truly different and even offer some serious differences within each class. People complained about only having 5 attack skills before playing, now those folks realize that it's not just 5, it's dozens and dozens per class because of the different weapons. It makes customization amazingly deep.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Aug 28, 2012, 20:19 Fion

Lol funniest article I've read all week. Sad, racist, rude on the part of the offenders, but oh so funny to read Anet put these people in their place.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced
2. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Hearthfire Announced Aug 28, 2012, 13:32 Fion

Yep. I don't know about paying $20 for essentially the same thing as that mod (though by the sounds of this, it's more complex). I haven't even gotten Dawnguard yet because of all the poor reviews.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Launches
54. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launches Aug 28, 2012, 13:28 Fion

Just wanted to comment to correct the thought that servers are instanced. They are not. When you enter Overflow your not entering another instance on your server, you are entering an entirely different server that 'is' instanced. When you leave, you go back to your own server that does not have instanced zones.

Game is a heck of a lot of fun and while similar to other MMOGs (because it is an MMOG) the game strikes out on its own in several ways. Exploration is an important factor, there are a 'lot' of secret areas you can find in every zone. The crafting is very rich. I do agree that armor and weapon smithing is a bit rough because you need so much copper, but other mats are super easy to get if you buy salvage kits and salvage everything you would otherwise sell (old gear, items that have no use to you, items marked 'salvage item'). The experimentation system is genius. I've made a bunch of items in tailoring that I've sold for quite a bit because nobody else on my server seems to know how to make them. Though this might change once the trading post is working.. as it is global. It is such a well done 'AH' style system that not having it available has stunted the game in a variety of ways.

The combat is heavily inspired by ARPGs with tuns of movement and positioning. Someone said they saw a Veteran slaughter a group of six because they weren't using the dodge mechanic or probably the boon/condition system. Soloing vets requires tact but is entirely possible, but it takes some skill and know how of your class and the games systems. The first zones are usually fairly easy but past that, if you don't learn to dodge and your class to its fullest, you get your ass kicked.

I really highly recommend it. Especially being a single purchase even if you only get a months of fun out of it that is still more than most other games for the same $60.

On a personal note, I'm playing a wide variety of characters. My main however is a Sylvari Elementalist scepter/focus. Playing an Ele is like being Avatar Korra lol. It's fantastic.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2012, 13:36.

News Comments > Prey 2 Not Cancelled
2. Re: Prey 2 Not Cancelled Aug 27, 2012, 21:36 Fion

Yea glad it's not canceled. It looks really fun.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins
32. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 26, 2012, 00:22 Fion

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 21:49:
Fion wrote on Aug 25, 2012, 21:46:
It's easy to join in a party, no matter if others are in offerflow or not. If your in different overflow instances or not, join group and right click on portrait and select 'join in'. You'll automatically be switched to the right 'server'.

Except it doesn't work and hasn't since 2am. Hence my frustration.

Huh.. I haven't had a problem with it since they fixed the zoning error while grouped. Must be server specific :/

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins
23. Re: Guild Wars 2 Head Start Begins Aug 25, 2012, 21:46 Fion

It's easy to join in a party, no matter if others are in offerflow or not. If your in different overflow instances or not, join group and right click on portrait and select 'join in'. You'll automatically be switched to the right 'server'.

Nothing to add, it's been said. Glowing reviews from bluesnews forum that's for sure. I'm incredibly immersed and having a hell of a time convincing myself to log out for food and sleep.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads
54. Re: Guild Wars 2 Launch Schedule and Client Downloads Aug 24, 2012, 14:03 Fion

I too thought the combat was pretty 'samey' and not all that amazing at level 5.

By level 20, I thought it was the best MMOG combat I'd ever played.

3016 Comments. 151 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo