Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3074 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > WoW 5.2 Preview
1. Re: WoW 5.2 Preview Dec 22, 2012, 15:32 Fion

Gotta love WoW patches.

10% new content

89% class nerfs

1% bug fixes

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM
32. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 14:21 Fion

Haven't these people realized that always-on DRM doesn't even work? Look at Ubi's always on DRM, that was cracked in days. How long will they force paying customers to jump through hoops while torrenters play the game with a few simple steps.

On SimCityV, it does look significantly simplified. But I'm not entirely sure we've seen all there is to know. What we've seen in demo vids so far has been pretty simplistic. It seems to me that you could finish a modern city in days and when then is left? So I'm reserving judgement on the game. What I see I like, though I wish they'd add more classic SimCity features.

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Dec 14, 2012, 12:38 Fion

The things I do like about FC3 include;

The healing system. FC2/3's healing system is so much better and more interactive than most FPS auto-healing.

The AI is very solid. Enemies will actively flank you and flush you out with grenades/molotovs and the stealth system isn't instant invisibility.

And of course the simple fact that it is a sandbox, and that I can approach a lot of it how I wish. When taking bases I can be Rambo or Solid Snake, and anything in between.

3. Re: Game Reviews Dec 13, 2012, 14:22 Fion

Don't worry Nin I'm with you on this one. The game is mediocre IMHO, though I'm only like 8 hours into it and have only done a handful of story missions.

If the year had been mediocre for gaming I probably would have liked it better, but we've had so many amazing games this year already. From
Torchlight 2 to Guild Wars 2, Dishonored, Walking Dead, Borderlands 2, Mark of the Ninja. Even Mass Effect 3 if you discount the ending.
This game just isn't good enough to be noticed amongst the crowd frankly.

And yea wtf is up with boars? You need their skins for perhaps the most important upgrade early in the game.. ammo capacity. I've unlocked 2/3 of the map (I was told to unlock the map early) and have yet to see a boar icon on the map or see one in the game world. I practically have every single other upgrade accept the ones that require a rare skin, and I have several of those!

News Comments > Crysis 3 Trailer
1. Re: Crysis 3 Trailer Dec 12, 2012, 21:41 Fion

Wait I'm confused. It's after the aliens attacked. A huge dome has been built over new york (I presume to keep the black gunk from getting out). It's been years and years because the forest has encroached into the city quite significantly and somehow prophet is alive again?  

News Comments > The Secret World Subscriptions Now Optional
15. Re: The Secret World Subscriptions Now Optional Dec 12, 2012, 13:15 Fion

Nice to see this. Funcom isn't new to B2P/F2P, they offered the original Anarchy Online for free, with only expansions requiring a monthly fee.

GW2 has shown that a B2P MMOG can be quite successful. As to TSW I found the game fun in beta, but not worth the $15 a month. Though granted, after GW2 I can't ever go back to paying a monthly fee personally. But as B2P I'll def pick this up at some point, probably when I next see it on sale on steam.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
1. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Dec 10, 2012, 12:34 Fion

GW2 is moving back up in the charts. I'm rather amazed at how well the game is still selling. Up to #8 on this chart, #5 best selling PC game on Amazon. #5 on Greenmangaming.com.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 9, 2012, 15:45 Fion

Far Cry 3 isn't all its cracked up to be either Tech. It's not bad, just not all that good IMHO. However there is good news. Dishonored is fantastic.  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Double XP Weekend
23. Re: PlanetSide 2 Double XP Weekend Dec 9, 2012, 13:53 Fion

it essentially is double certs. One cert is 250xp and one kill is 100xp with diminishing amounts based upon damage done 'assisting' (25-50 generally). Right now, a kill is 200 xp and ~100 for an assist. So that's a cert point every 1.25 kills right now vs one cert every 2.5 kills. Double certs! So it's a great time for LA like me to get that damned expensive C4!

Frankly I'd love it if they boosted cert gain for 'non-purchasers' as it takes freaking forever to get up to 700 for C4 on a LA, or 1k for a gun that is only a minor variant on the basic one (though enough that they are still very worth while). Right now it's nearly pointless to play 'without' an xp boost. Some folks claim to get 200 certs an hour, but I'd assume that's from medic/AMS drivers or ESF w. rocketpod users. If they are infantry.. than most of us aren't that good. I'm pulling about 25 an hour normally, depending on the action normally. I 'bought' the gun I wanted because I knew I'd never get enough cert points with everything else I felt was 'essential' to an LA.

As to 'most 'must get' class upgrades are cheap', this isn't the case with Light Assault. LA is the only class without an F ability. You know, shield on HA, aoe heal on medics, charge on MAXs. Engineers have tuns of toys so I don't think they have one, but LA doesn't have those extras. And our upgrades are 'not' cheap. Most LA's would tell you the class is not complete without C4. It is a game changer when playing one, and getting two C4 costs 700 certs. That's more than some guns, and there is no way to mitigate that grind without spending $. Its not like it's all-powerful either. Two blocks of C4 can take out a heavy tank, from the back. It can't kill take out a Sunderer unless it's already damaged. Best use is vs Lightnings or Max units, if you can get the drop on them. Oh and did I mention it costs 100 infantry resources per block?

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2012, 14:15.

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Delayed
36. Re: BioShock Infinite Delayed Dec 8, 2012, 02:29 Fion

V..v..v..v.. vaporware!

J/K

I don't mind a game with 'good' scripting. HL1/2 of course are the best examples. However I cannot stand games that are so heavily scripted that each playthrough is 100% identical (I'm looking at you CoD!). Worse yet, scripted sequences that take control away from the players. That just drives me NUTS.

One of the reasons I think Farcry 2 is 'meh'. Way to many times I'd love to be doing something but have to sit back and watch the action.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2012, 02:34.

News Comments > Far Cry 3 HUD Patch Planned
5. Re: Far Cry 3 HUD Patch Planned Dec 8, 2012, 02:23 Fion

You know what drives me most nuts about this game? That you have to 'hold' the action key down. Why cant I tap space like every other game in existence?! What is crazy is there is nothing that requires you to only tap the use key (space for me), so I see absolutely no reason they made it 'hold' instead of 'tap'.

I'm also getting really f'in tired of every game telling me what I need to do to open doors, use items, etc. Press 'x' key to use item. Every time I go to use something the game brings up another immersion breaking flashing white 'press x to use'. I've only been gaming for 30 years, you'd think I'd have figured that out by now. At least in some games you can disable that shit. But no, thanks a great deal to consoles just about every game holds your hand through everything. Do developers truly think my attention span is 1/2 a second?

I've had some decent fun with the game. Not worth $60 IMHO, and most certainly not as good as the 2nd one (as flawed as it was in ways). Did not live up to my expectations, but fun for a diversion.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Dec 7, 2012, 12:54 Fion

GW2 is certainly my GotY, and it was a pretty big crowd of amazing games this year. Pretty much all of them were on this list heh.  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans "Scumbag"
33. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 17:11 Fion

Trevellian wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 13:46:
Fion wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 13:28:
That is one out of potentially thousands. I run into people using speed hacks or auto-hit hacks almost every day. Combined with the 'huge' problem of each continent being controlled by one faction with 10% pop from others, I've basically stopped playing until they both fix the hacking problems and find a solution to the population issues.

Oh and lgFreiss, that is one of the more common 'hacks'. Combined with a speed hack it makes killing those people impossible. I used to only see them once in a while, now if I spend an hour online I'll encounter half a dozen.

What server are you playing on? On Waterson we have constant even 3 way battles on every continent most nights. There is no problem with Population, most nights the larger Outfits on a faction decide they're going to go for a specific continent Benefit and they push it hard till the other factions abandon the continent due to sheer numbers or better tactics, but you'll find even battles on the other 2 continents almost all the time.

And I've said this in another thread and I'll say it again, since release I play at average probably 4-5 hours on days when I work, and probably upwards of 10 hours on my day off, and have still not encountered 1 person I could clearly accuse of hacking.

That may be what it is. I'm rarely able to play on prime-time, I tend to log in mid-day or so and on Jaegar it's almost always TR/VS/NC controlling each continent with no more than 10-15% population on off-faction continents. So it gets boring either always playing on Esamir 80/20 population, or hopping into Amerish or Indar and being outnumbered 8/1. So I'm really hoping they will add a fourth continent reasonably soon, or find some temporary fix for this issue. Until then perhaps I'll try and shuffle my schedule around so I can play more often on prime-time hours.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans "Scumbag"
17. Re: PlanetSide 2 Calls Out & Bans Dec 5, 2012, 13:28 Fion

That is one out of potentially thousands. I run into people using speed hacks or auto-hit hacks almost every day. Combined with the 'huge' problem of each continent being controlled by one faction with 10% pop from others, I've basically stopped playing until they both fix the hacking problems and find a solution to the population issues.

Oh and lgFreiss, that is one of the more common 'hacks'. Combined with a speed hack it makes killing those people impossible. I used to only see them once in a while, now if I spend an hour online I'll encounter half a dozen.

News Comments > Far Cry 3 Released; Patched
2. Re: Far Cry 3 Released; Patched Dec 4, 2012, 21:08 Fion

I'm enjoying it. The gun play is rather lose and the vehicles drive even worse than FC2. But I'm having fun with some of the upgraded weapons, hunting and sniping enemies with a bow.

I posted my 'first hour' review in a previous comment section and it wasn't quite so favorable, but the more I play the more it's growing on me heh.

And yea, the side missions are largely crap. Sucks the story is short, especially considering how long FC2 was. I hope there's enough extra content just to do. Explore the world, hunt, etc. But then again in most open world games like this I barely touch the main story. I have 287 hours in Skyrim on Steam, and I haven't even done the 'infiltrate the embasy' mission on my main character, or done the Horn of the Windcaller mission on my vamp alt.

2. Re: Game Reviews Dec 4, 2012, 18:17 Fion

I'm only like an hour into it but so far it's 'meh' to me. The shooting is fairly loose, ai is typical rubish. It's pretty but most the missions I've done are the type I really don't get into. Things like 'drive this vehicle with shitty vehicle mechanics to point B in x time' or 'kill x enemies in the time limit'.

Again I've only just started but I'm not entirely impressed so far. But then again I though FC2 was fairly weak in the beginning but really got into the wide variety of weapons and the open world that lets you approach each 'quest' your way. Yea it had its issues, like insta-respawn check points. But hey at least in FC3 you can take the little side-areas over to stop respawns!

News Comments > Planescape: Torment Successor Plans
12. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 4, 2012, 02:54 Fion

Flatline wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 23:32:
Fion wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 21:24:
TSR severely mismanaged D&D, thus why WotC bought the IP. I've enjoyed products that both have made, and am somewhat looking forward to D&D Next. For the record, my favorite edition is 4th, though I've played (and extensively DM'd) every edition since the basic red box that came out in 83.

On topic, happy to hear about this. Also cant wait for more details on Obsidian's project.

Sorry to say this, but 4th edition destroyed D&D as a brand. And I'm not using hyperbole...

...it's because WOTC saw World of Warcraft and wanted in on that sweet, sweet action.

Quite a rant there. I wouldn't say 4e 'destroyed D&D as a brand.' It has been relatively successful in an era were RPGs around the world are seeing diminished sales. That doesn't mean it isn't great, in many ways.

And I see this 'WotC just wanted to hop on the WoW bandwagon' but I can pretty immediately tell that anyone who says that has barely touched 4e because it only has a cursory resemblance to WoW. It's a highly tactical, group based dungeon runner RPG. For what it does (combat and tactical play) it is unbeaten by any edition. It was for this reason that my group considers it our favorite edition, and many of them have been playing with me since 2nd edition. I started in Basic and have DM'd ever since. It is real combat focused RPG, with very little on the RP or non-combat mechanics, etc. But frankly if we get in the mood for good RP, deep story and setting, we play WoD which has always outdone D&D in that dept. I personally enjoy WoD 'more' than D&D. In particular I think W:tF and C:tL are my faves. We play a fair bit of V:tR as well. Cant wait for the WoD MMOG.. even if it is set in old WoD setting (using largely nWoD rules). Also real excited for 3rd edition Exalted.

That's not to say it doesn't have its problems. I totally agree with you on the Errata. And as well with D&DN, so far it's a big 'meh'. Doesn't keep some of the great things 4e added to the game and seems to be half-assing the attempt to bring back the 'feel' older editions by re-introducing things like a class-specific attack bonus and spell saves (when I think most would agree the NAD system is superior.)

In the end to each their own. I've had folks in my group over the years who didn't enjoy 4e, but I've also had folks who hated 3/3.5 with a passion. As a DM I cant say I thought it was that great an edition myself lol. To much a pain in the ass for DMing. In the end folks will play what they want to play. If D&DN doesn't work out, my group with still be playing 4e.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2012, 03:01.

News Comments > Skyrim Dragonborn DLC "Early Next Year"
3. Re: Skyrim Dragonborn DLC Dec 3, 2012, 21:30 Fion

Sucks having to wait but I don't mind. This time of year I don't have an extra $20 to throw around anyway lol.

From videos, this at least looks better than Dawnguard, which I was rather disappointed with. The vampires were powerful but useless half the time, were limited. For example, couldn't use items in vampire 'mode'.. wtf? That and most the quests were based in samey cavern areas. This one at least is a whole new land mass (inspired by Morrowind a bit by the looks of things). New mobs, new areas, new items & spells (and wizard robes which the base game seriously lacks), ride-able dragons.. pretty sweet.

I just hope we can ride dragons in Skyrim itself as well.

News Comments > Planescape: Torment Successor Plans
4. Re: Planescape: Torment Successor Plans Dec 3, 2012, 21:24 Fion

TSR severely mismanaged D&D, thus why WotC bought the IP. I've enjoyed products that both have made, and am somewhat looking forward to D&D Next. For the record, my favorite edition is 4th, though I've played (and extensively DM'd) every edition since the basic red box that came out in 83.

On topic, happy to hear about this. Also cant wait for more details on Obsidian's project.

News Comments > Crysis 3 Specs
38. Re: Crysis 3 Specs Dec 3, 2012, 16:29 Fion

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 15:54:
Fion wrote on Dec 3, 2012, 15:18:
We all know Crytech that Crysis 3, just like Crysis 2, will still look worse than Crysis 1. Lower texture resolution, lower polygon count per asset, lower overall poly cap per scene.
Given that Crysis 2 includes DX11 tessellation, it obviously has a higher polygon count.

Actually it's the opposite. That's the point of tessellation, to add depth to an asset without increasing it's poly count.

I do agree that video looks good, but with videos you can never really know if that is the quality we'll get in the actual game. What machine was it recorded on? Is it even real time? What bells and whistles did they use that isn't on by default. If anything Crysis 1 shows how many things you could do to improve it that were built right into the engine but never activated.

The simple fact is that this game, like Crysis 2, was made primarily for consoles and they simply are incapable of running a game with the fidelity of Crysis, so the engine was toned down significantly and various tricks of lighting and newer techniques like tessellation used to produce the illusion of superior graphics. But compared side by side, it's astoundingly obvious how lower quality everything 'but' the lighting is in Crysis 2 and 3.

3074 Comments. 154 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo