Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 2954 (Senior)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > The Secret World Content Plans
17. Re: The Secret World Content Plans Jul 11, 2012, 13:25 Fion

I am a big fan of Funcom coming from my 2nd ever and easily most favorite MMOG of all time, Anarchy Online. I think AO makes some of the most progressive, deep and fun games around. AoC gets a lot of flack and I certainly didn't play it for all that long but I think that was more a management problems rather than a problem with the developers themselves. But that is the past. I'm happy to hear that TSW is doing so well, I hope it's very successful. I probably won't pick it up, at least not right now. I'm so focused on GW2 right now that nothing else is appealing to me atm but the beauty of that game is with a B2P model I won't feel like I cant sub to another MMOG without having enough time to get some play in to justify that $15 a month. So I may well pick TSW up when I see it on sale sometime in the future.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Details
43. Re: Public Beta? Jul 10, 2012, 00:17 Fion

Still nearly 2 weeks till BWE3. I'm sure we'll see more as the days roll on. Probably mostly next week.  

25. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 9, 2012, 16:14 Fion

I wouldn't call it 'cartoonish' but the games graphics certainly have a defined 'look' to them Luke and not everyone is going to enjoy it. I myself love the graphics and the almost hand-painted look they have. But vice versa I don't play TERA because I think it's visually boring and the character models are absurdly sexualized, even though the games graphics have a higher fidelity than GW2s.

I can only say try and snag one of the free keys many websites are (and will be) giving out and try the game for yourself. You might be pleasantly surprised or you might decide the game isn't for you.

22. Re: Public Beta? Jul 9, 2012, 16:02 Fion

Ant wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 14:03:
Still no public beta?

No but I've already seen sites around the web giving out tens of thousands of keys. So just snag yourself a key and you're set.

Who ever said 'they let the gnomes and night elves into the game' needs to do a bit more research. They have a similarity but are much cooler races with a lot more lore and detail behind them. Sylvari for one can be vicious sobs (nightmare court) and the Asura are snarky little megalomaniacs.

I'm planning on playing a Sylvari come launch so I probably won't play one in BWE3, though I might make a character just to get an idea of the options and to settle how I want my 'main' to look. I will definitely play some Asura content, probably about as much as I have played Norn or Charr starting areas (around 25% and 50% respectively).

Cant wait for BWE3 and one month later, release at long last!

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2012, 16:07.

News Comments > Walking Dead FPS Announced
28. Re: Walking Dead FPS Announced Jul 7, 2012, 16:47 Fion

Sepharo wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 02:55:
Fion wrote on Jul 7, 2012, 02:46:
Ah Walking Dead, the zombie survival themed soap-opera that somehow hardly ever has any zombies and features a bunch of poor actors talking about their feelings. I just cant get enough of it!

/sarscam

Hardly has any zombies eh?

Yes, the first season features 15% zombie killing (or characters being killed) and 85% people being emo and dramatic and talking about their feelings.

News Comments > Walking Dead FPS Announced
17. Re: Walking Dead FPS Announced Jul 7, 2012, 02:46 Fion

Ah Walking Dead, the zombie survival themed soap-opera that somehow hardly ever has any zombies and features a bunch of poor actors talking about their feelings. I just cant get enough of it!

/sarscam

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules
32. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 15:17 Fion

briktal wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 09:22:
My favorite way of respecting the player is requiring them to purchase character slots if they want to have one character of each class.

They have to make money somehow, and that's still better than say The Secret World, which has a monthly fee and still only gives two character slots, with extras costing you money. At least with GW2 there are in game ways to get gems, and almost everything you can buy at the store is also available in game in a variety of ways. Hell in BWE1 and 2 I 'bought' three extra character slots just by buying gems. It's very easy to make money if you know how to work the market (and you don't even have to be at an NPC to do it!) I also got a number of boosts, repair canisters, etc all from Mystic Chests and I didn't buy a single key for any of them, I got them via personal story rewards or drops in the world. Same for about two-dozen dyes.

Reading some of the below comments I can tell some folks either didn't actually play the game and are just saying they did (because of how factually wrong they are), or those people did some newbie zone stuff (1-15) in zones that were zerged and never got past level 10 or 15 and into the much more challenging content. To suggest that GW2 is just 'coast through the game it's so easy' couldn't be more wrong. If that were the case there wouldn't have been two dozen 'this game is too hard!' threads on the main forums during BWE1 and 2.

23. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 5, 2012, 04:41 Fion

NKD wrote on Jul 5, 2012, 01:21:

The problem I have with that is this: It eliminates reason for grief, drama, and competition, but it also eliminates reason for real cooperation. A bunch of people standing around doing their own thing while the game mechanics sort it out is not cooperation. Its just a bunch of people standing around. There's no real need for communication, leadership, or even much in the way of skill. My time in the beta was just basically watching a bunch of people run around attacking random mobs until the event ended. You could be a complete idiot and still get credit for it. There wasn't even an area-wide chat or anything.

First I'd say it sounds like your experience was BWE1 in low lvl areas were it was basically just 200 people zerging everything in the 1-15 zones.. and there was no 'zone' chat so nobody talked at all (seemingly). I can tell you from personal experience that that improved in BWE2 as the population thinned out a bit and people did talk and interact as there was a 'zone' chat.. and anything beyond lvl 15 actually does require some teamwork because even at that lvl, combat isn't what I'd call 'easy', especially against Champions. I was in a few 'teams' against champs that did wonderfully, came together with some cohesion, worked together and used good strategy and I can say I've scarcely ever felt that kind of connection in any game I've played.. and I've been playing games since pong.

To your main point, I would argue that everyone just doing their own thing and nobody actually talking isn't anything new. In WoW for example you can run dungeons with a pug and never speak a word beyond saying your ready to go. Hell you can even do that in a raid if everyone knows what they are doing. To add, in 'trinity' MMOGs people often aren't 'working together' any more than the folks work together and communicate when doing a big dynamic event in GW2. You have the DPS'ers doing their rotation and watching the DPS meter, the tank doing his job, the healer only hears a peep out of anyone when either they screw up or (more often) someone else does and they just shift the blame onto the healer. There is no real communication there, hell I'd go so far as to say these people aren't even really playing together in so far as their interaction with each other is minimal. They are playing the interface more than anything.. doing their rotation while watching their mods for the big 'hit' from the boss and making sure they aren't standing in the fire.

On your second part to think there are no roles at all in GW2 is wrong actually. There is no way to tank in the sense keeping a mob stuck on you instead of the guy next to you but that doesn't mean that having built in ways to take a few blows when up close and personal doesn't have the added benefit of giving another team mate a chance to back off the heat to use their heal etc. As well many of the professions have lots of utility built into them, ways to buff their team at crucial moments, to heal enough to give your heavy melee hitter a few seconds of extra soaking power before his own heal or protection utility to recharge.

Anyone who has run Ascalon Catacombs, especially explorable mode can tell you that just because there is no hard and fast trinity does not in the least mean that there is no team work or coordination involved. If anything, there's actually quite a bit more of it. Any party that consists of 'bunch of DPS guys zerging until shit dies', gets their ass handed to them.. and this is a lvl 30/35+ dungeon.

That's actually the beauty of the system. It has no classic 'trinity', but it's a very engaging, cooperative experience. Tactics, planning.. knowing your profession and how it interacts with others and the game itself are key.. even at lower levels (where as usually this stuff really doesn't matter for shit until end game).

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2012, 15:10.

3. Re: Guild Wars 2 Golden Rules Jul 4, 2012, 13:30 Fion

if they hadn't posted their 'golden rules' when making GW2 I probably could have called most of them. It's quite obvious when you play the game and interact with Arena Net developers that there has been a core structure to everything they do, and if I do say so myself.. they've succeeded on all of those 'golden rules'.

Edit: I'm with ya El Pit. Simply knowing so far in advance the date of the next BWE is killing me. It's only the fourth *cries*.. 2 1/2 bloody weeks of waiting to go. Eeesh..

But it's summer, so get out and do something fun and interesting with friends and family.. it'll make those 2.5 weeks go by in a flash.

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes
11. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes; Magic Find Debate; Endgame Woes Jul 4, 2012, 13:12 Fion

"We recognize that the item hunt is just not enough for a long-term sustainable end-game."

I'm just waiting for them to announce raiding. You know it's gonna happen!

News Comments > The Secret World Launches
25. Re: The Secret World Launches Jul 3, 2012, 16:08 Fion

Ah good ol' CoX. I still consider it by far the best superhero MMOG, even if it's design is very old compared to most modern MMOGs. I played many many hours of that game with my nephew over the years.  

News Comments > The Secret World Launches
19. Re: The Secret World Launches Jul 3, 2012, 14:09 Fion

I was in the beta and while the game was somewhat clunky, it also has it's bright spots. It oozes atmosphere and the story-driven questing is well done with snappy writing and VO. The animations are sloppy (which is odd considering how good they were in AoC, and it's the same engine) and the combat isn't very cohesive, but it's still solid.

But I agree, Funcom does have a reputation. They used to be my favorite MMOG house, mostly because of Anarchy Online (which is noted for having one of the worst launches in the industry and the most bugs in it's first six months than you could ever foreseeable count), it also had an amazing setting and very innovative features that are considered not only common but necessary in modern MMOGs (instancing, link-items-to-chat, dynamic spawning, 360' flight, just to name a few).

One has to wonder though why Funcom has had several years to fix fundamental (as Mac put it) features of their latest game AoC such as the sieges when you have other companies like Arenanet with not only working sieges, but extremely fun, polished, deep and strategic server vs. server (vs. server) PvP months before the game even launches. PvP so good it not only rivals DAoC's RvR, but surpasses it in many ways.. and the game isn't even out yet!

It makes me think many of the great folks at Funcom somehow don't know what they are doing, or the leadership doesn't have an even remotely defined structure or list of goals. It's just.. baffling. That said I wish them all the luck in the world. I've been interacting with many of the great folks there for ages (since early beta of Anarchy Online) and most are dedicated, intelligent and very creative.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Jun 30, 2012, 14:03 Fion

Dawnguard is getting some pretty poor reviews. I would have thought that a DLC that took apprently six months to make would be better than a buggy new vampire mechanic that messes up the camera and hours of 'cave after cave' with hardly any new monsters or areas. Talk about dropping the ball.

I think I'll wait for a while before picking this up on PC. Give modders enough time to make it actually worth while.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2012, 14:08.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 August 28th
23. Re: Guild Wars 2 August 28th Jun 28, 2012, 14:58 Fion

Woot a release date! I guess the whole 6/28/12 thing wasn't technically 'wrong', after all it has turned out to be an important date. Someone on Reddit called this a few days ago as well.

It is nice to 'finally' get a release date, and it's a bit earlier than I expected it to. One more BWE is always nice, I hope the let us keep our characters for one final weekend before the big release.

Edit: Official announcement trailer is up;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-CB0hheQRg&feature=youtu.be

Little sneak peak of Zhaitan. 0.o

News Comments > Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition
24. Re: Digital Diablo III Now Spends 72 Hours as Starter Edition Jun 22, 2012, 00:09 Fion

You know what the solution is here Blizz. The easy fix. I know, you'd never do this because the $$ you are making off it is just too damn sweet.. but all this crap would stop and you wouldn't have to completely destroy the game for all the legit players if you just dropped your jacked up, money grubbing, game destroying RMAH! It is a FAIl idea, the way you implemented it, leaving a gaping loophole for account hackers and money farmers is FAIL.. and it makes your company and your game FAIL.

That's right.. the triple Fail. It means I am done with you.

News Comments > EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire
34. Re: EU Diablo III Patch Live; Repair Costs Draw Fire Jun 20, 2012, 15:08 Fion

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 10:42:
nin wrote on Jun 20, 2012, 09:44:
What a stain D3 has become...

eh, I still hope they continue to fix things and get it right. D2 didn't get where it is overnight - lets hope they come around....

I'm not quite so hopeful as you are. All those great developers who made D2 such a successful and popular game through the years have long since jumped ship to form new companies of their own, like Arenanet.

The Blizzard we are left with today is a pale shadow of it's former self.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Civilization V: Gods & Kings
3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Civilization V: Gods & Kings Jun 19, 2012, 12:55 Fion

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 19, 2012, 11:30:
Thank you shitty publishers for releasing it on different dates in different regions. It's not like we have this thing called digital distribution which allows for games to be released at the same time around the globe. In the UK we have to wait another two days.

It's time that publishers release games at the same time across all regions. Digital sales will account for more than retail, especially for a title like this. There really is no excuse.

Publishers are slowly being dragged kicking and screaming into digital distribution systems where their roll in gaming is slowly dying away in the same way that tv distributors are being dragged kicking and screaming into the digital age. Slowly but surely.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jun 17, 2012, 20:24 Fion

Yea my mind is rather blown that Skyrim has remained in the top ten list for this long. I'm sure it'll skyrocket back to the top with Dawnbreaker and especially the summer sale.

Speaking of the summer sale.. bring it on Valve! I'm so bored sitting here with GW2 Beta Weekend withdrawals and nothing new to play. :/

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes and More
22. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 23:02 Fion

Ah Blizzards classic 'need 4 hours of downtime for this hotfix' followed by 'we need one more hour' shenanigans. GW2 beta weekend is on right now and when you get a patch there, you just have to restart and patch up, servers don't even come down. It's so nice!  

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 Videos
15. Re: Unreal Engine 4 Videos Jun 9, 2012, 03:27 Fion

Once again we get a tech demo from the Unreal Ed guys that in no way represents the actual capabilities of the engine in a real game. Super high quality models in front of cardboard cut-out backgrounds. I did see some nice fluid dynamics and physics but those are more likely than not from a third party.

I myself am rather sick of this engine because it's used in almost every game these days and thus every game looks almost identical. I understand why the industry has taken it as a core part of game design. The tools are rather easy to learn compared to some other engines and uniformity is good for console games. But come on already.

2954 Comments. 148 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo