Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3085 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
10. Re: Game Reviews Mar 28, 2013, 16:15 Fion

"Installing (Origin) on my computer felt like leaving a child of my own at a Jonestown daycare center."

LMAO! That has to be the funniest thing he's said in any review in the last year.

I consider Simcity akin to Spore in my experiences. Very hyped, exciting features and early gameplay was interesting but it all quickly devolved into mindless, broken, dumbed down crap that was a shadow of what it could have been. It bothers me that both also happen to be an EA game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite
68. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 27, 2013, 00:17 Fion

Sepharo wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 21:28
uick someone find something wrong (other than lack of quicksave) and stop me from spending 60 bucks! [/quote:

You asked for it. I have one major problem with the game, design wise. The whole tonics/weapons system seems to have been dumbed down. One thing I truly enjoyed about the original was the sheer variety of customization there was. Augments for weapons, several ammo types per weapon, interchangeable tonics that you could really alter gameplay with, you name it.

With Infinate, you basically have static tonics and 4 item 'slots' with items you can put in them to customize your char a little, adding damage here, defense there, boosting weapons or powers. It's a far cry from the original, and I don't think I'll replay it any time soon because there doesn't really seem to be a reason, other than taking different story choices (that don't seem to matter at all). Mind, I haven't beat the game but I figure if I'm 6 hours in and there isn't any real customization, there isn't going to be any.

Thankfully I am really enjoying the story, the setting, the combat in general is well done. The new tonics are fun to use, though the weapons are beyond generic which is a huge change from Bioshocks awesome customizable weapons. But the lack of customization brings my score from a possible 9 to an 8 or so. Best game of the year so far, but IMHO there were a dozen games last year just as good or better.

News Comments > Guild Wars II - Flame and Frost: The Razing Live
4. Re: Guild Wars II - Flame and Frost: The Razing Live Mar 27, 2013, 00:07 Fion

Cutter wrote on Mar 26, 2013, 21:23:
The problem with these sorts of updates is you never know what it actually brings in term of content or the wheres and hows of it. I really wish they'd stop with the piecemeal stuff and just do proper expansions with all new content to check out.

Oh but that's the fun. Finding the new stuff. It's not like it's hard to find either. The patch notes say 'go here and talk to x person' and that's all you really need to know. This patch was largely focused on WvW rather than PvE. That said I've done one of the two new big missions, was really fun.

Oh and there is a dedicated expansions team. So it's not an either/or kind of thing. Though I to am getting eager to hear what that team might be working on. I don't expect an expansion for probably a year, but who knows. Maybe at E3 we'll hear something. We are just now getting into the expo season so.. cross your fingers heh. I personally hope for Cantha!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite
55. Re: Ships Ahoy - BioShock Infinite Mar 26, 2013, 19:45 Fion

I'm a number of hours in now, having lots of fun. I don't think it's the best game in years (I think there were a dozen games last year alone just as good) and I don't think its as good as Bioshock 1, but it's still the best game in a so-far rather disappointing year.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
18. Re: Game Reviews Mar 20, 2013, 15:28 Fion

I agree with others on here. I feel jipped when I pay $60 for a game that lasts me 3 hours plus another $20 for DLC that maybe adds another hour. I can see a 3 hour movie for $5 after all (I live in a small town). If games have to be padded to add a couple more hours, then I feel that is just bad design in the first place.

I don't expect every game to have 300 hours of content. Singleplayer shooters aren't going to be huge games. But I avoid 3-5 hour games at full price, though will definitely pick them up on sale.

And I have experienced 'padded' games. The latest AC for example had tuns of content that was just a repeat. The same fetch quests over and over, kill the same badguys over and over. But I don't feel that was padding to extend a game that would have been short, but rather padding to fill in the content on a game they wanted to kick out the door as fast as possible.

There have been short games I felt I got my moneys worth, Limbo for example. And other games folks reported to be real short that I found not short at all because of how engrossed I was. For example Dishonored. Folks run through that in a matter of hours but I enjoyed exploring and trying different options, I ran through the whole game three times to experience it in different ways. So while for some it may have been a 4 hour game, for me it lasted dozens of hours because I was immersed and having a blast. I have 33 hours played and that includes zero DLC.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
26. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 17, 2013, 22:36 Fion

Since when are people paying $40 to play an Alpha game? Am I missing something here? People bitch about paying for a game that 'might as well be Beta'. Now everyones forking over $40 for an ALPHA GAME?  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 11, 2013, 15:48 Fion

Haha I invite anyone who thought the broadband situation in the UK is terrible to spend one month in the US using our typical Broadband via Time Warner Cable or Comcast.

I guarantee you'll go home a month later and never bitch about your telecom situation ever again.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Mar 11, 2013, 15:39 Fion

If anyone thinks videogames aren't or cant be art, I point you to the website of one Daniel Dociu, my favorite artist. He works for ArenaNet.

http://www.tinfoilgames.com/

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 7, 2013, 13:58 Fion

I went with a Logitech G700 to replace my old mouse. Couldn't be happier. Button placement is perfect, there are enough that I can do a lot of work without ever touching the keyboard and for gaming, I've never owned better.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Yellowbook Mar 6, 2013, 14:22 Fion

Yet another 20th century company fighting to stay alive in a 21st century that no longer needs them.  

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
1. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Mar 4, 2013, 15:20 Fion

GW2 jumps back into the top 5. I knew there'd been a big influx of newbs lately, as well as folks returning from other games. My server's been packed.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Trailers; Details
19. Re: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Trailers; Details Mar 4, 2013, 15:19 Fion

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2013, 13:20:

AC3 sold tons more copies than any other AC game, so odds are that they haven't.

Creston

That's because its #3, and represents the end of the story line. Same with Crysis 3 even though that game was shit it has sold like hotcakes.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
26. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 3, 2013, 22:37 Fion

PHJF wrote on Mar 3, 2013, 14:45:
Steam has Civ V Gold (includes Gods & Kings and all the other micro dlcs) for $12.50...

Wow, that's a STEAL! I already have everything for the game but wow.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Flame and Frost - The Gathering Storm Launches
10. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 27, 2013, 14:29 Fion

Endo wrote on Feb 27, 2013, 11:48:

#1 is horizontal loot progression promise and now we have vertical. And on top of that calendar controlled vertical with the laurels. Then they just added a gob of ectos to get your ascended earnings in addition to calendar controlled laurels. All from a customer that swore to hell and back that this game will not be vertical and not be a grind. There is a fair argument it' one of the grindiest now.

Since when were Laurals 'vertical progression'? They are a little bonus that lets you purchase some 'eh' items and fun stuff. And since when is progression vertical as a whole? Ascended gear is difficult to obtain and consists of only rings and necklaces that give you a 'tenths of a percentage' boost over anyone else. People were screaming on the forums for some way to improve their characters beyond the stat cap of Exotics. So Anet added one, a hard to obtain, pain in the ass with little real benefit, carrot. People are now getting lvl 80 exotics off lvl 1 mobs, so what are you complaining about?

Diminishing Returns. Does any other mmo even have such a thing? And if you do have it on you because you are working an area too much, why not an alert us if we are hitting it? It leaves you wondering... Am I being penalized now? Because loot is crazy stingy in this game.

I agree with this one. I feel it's the extenuating consequences of a flaw in the design.

Things like Fractals were introduced and the only place to get ascended items for months. Which meant a lot of people stopped open world venturing and all became stuck in an instance now going for the best items. Completely against their vision for GW2. Instance Wars 2!

Yea, it's not like GW1 had instances! Oh wait.. it was ALL INSTANCED.

Nov 15. All bosses REALLY will drop loot now... They didn't, not even close. They were called on it and wouldn't quickly fix it, nor even acknowledge. We'll have to see if yesterdays patch fixed that. We had a laugh when we read that as a group.

I rarely encountered this but I know it did happen, for example with the Karka event I'd have been pissed if the chest was empty. Lets hope it's actually fixed.

Open World vs Dungeon difficulty, can something vary more than that. One is brain dead easy, the other is we take all the baddies in the open world and multiply their HP's x25... So unfun, it's punishing. Very few %'wise can run dungeons at level. Most get their level 80's and then run lower leveled dungeons. Whoever deigned/balance these should be pink slipped.

This one I disagree with. I love how difficult the dungeons are (at least to start, things get easier with experience). I always hated how easy-mode WoW content was, even the later stuff was stupid easy and only took time because folks had to learn the new strategy/wait for the addons to update to make it easier for everyone. I used to go afk playing my hunter in WotLK, even when I wasn't afk I just stood there htiting my 3 macros in turn. Because WoW revolves around dungeons I found it mind-numbing doing the same dungeon that was boring as hell after the first time downing a boss and experiencing what was next.

First time I did AC I got so stomped, I loved it. These dungeons take strategy, timing and skill and with a good group or guild I've had more fun doing this games dungeons than any MMOG since the early days of Everquest. And the whole few % I don't know about that. There are always 50+ people hanging outside AC on the average evening on my server. I would say it might be smart to tone down AC Story, just because I've met so many people who get their asses handed to them doing that the first time and never did another dungeon run again.

Culling, the more they change it the more you want the original code. WvWvW, is anything ever going to happen with it?

Agree on culling, apparently it's fixed internally. Required a pretty hefty code re-write apparently. WvWvW patch is late march, and it's supposedly a big one.

Accumulating Jan/Feb and now Marches... They are supposed to equal the size of other games expansions. March is going to have to be a killer to live up to that whopper. I'm sure it will fizzle enough.

You are the first person I've 'met' who though the content releases for GW2 weren't at the top of the industry, sans perhaps Rift. The game has gained more content in 6 months than WoW does in 2 years, sans expansions (note: I don't count 'added 12 new dailies' as 'content')

The thing is I do like it, but it's sloppy, seemingly unorganized which was everything GW1 wasn't to me. That was tight from day 1.

This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2013, 14:40.

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
2. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Feb 25, 2013, 12:34 Fion

I don't know about Colonial Marines but the Brits do love their Sims games ah? Though granted they are huge here as well.

Guild Wars 2 still strong in the top 10, been there for six months now and that's pretty impressive for a non-WoW expansion.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 25, 2013, 12:29 Fion

Jeez Creston, lay off the poor Iphone 5. It's already overly expensive, a generation behind in hardware as well as software capabilities, not to mention not selling remotely as well as it should, getting spanked by Samsung and Android is pushing it further and further down in the smartphone market. Let them have just this one thing! They deserve it.

Oh what am I talking about? Of the 4 family members I have who own an Iphone (4 and 5s), 3 of them are broken in some way! Two dropped and cracked the glass, and the other, I don't know wtf happened to it but the aluminum on the back is all bent inward so that phone only works some of the time. I cant say Android phones have been better as frankly I'm the only one who owns one (my wife is more a tablet person, she has a Nexus 10). It's my greatest shame to admit I come from an Isheep family. :p

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Gigabyte Aivia Osmium Mechanical Keyboard Feb 22, 2013, 14:25 Fion

I've heard the 'ode to the mechanical keyboard' myself. I can't imagine going back.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 14:34 Fion

swedishfriend wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 11:59:
Consoles don't need as much power to get better results because programmers will get much closer to the hardware. The general consensus From people who review both PC and console games is that no hardware you can buy today will be enough to run the games that are coming for the new consoles. They are saying don't upgrade until next year to be ready for the next generation of games...

That's simply hype. The consoles are based upon PC tech more-so than ever. The only thing they can do is rope the hardware makers into holding off on equivalent releases for a time - similarly to how they did with the PS3/XBox 360 when they released. But the speed at which PC tech advances, upon release they'll already be behind the curve compared to enthusiast systems.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Feb 10, 2013, 14:09 Fion

Epic tech demo's are always cool but they are an illusion that generally features a handful of separate, static scenes that use bitmaps and low-poly backgrounds filled with two or three very high poly characters with all the bells and whistles that would be entirely unfeasible in an actual game because real games have a budget based on hardware constraints.

That particular one was cool as hell, but no less an illusion.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2013, 14:16.

News Comments > Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling
21. Re: Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling Feb 9, 2013, 15:18 Fion

The poison that is the modern-day WoW live team has clearly seeped into the open wound that is Diablo 3. Is it any wonder both games are dying.  

3085 Comments. 155 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo