Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3070 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 25, 2013, 12:29 Fion

Jeez Creston, lay off the poor Iphone 5. It's already overly expensive, a generation behind in hardware as well as software capabilities, not to mention not selling remotely as well as it should, getting spanked by Samsung and Android is pushing it further and further down in the smartphone market. Let them have just this one thing! They deserve it.

Oh what am I talking about? Of the 4 family members I have who own an Iphone (4 and 5s), 3 of them are broken in some way! Two dropped and cracked the glass, and the other, I don't know wtf happened to it but the aluminum on the back is all bent inward so that phone only works some of the time. I cant say Android phones have been better as frankly I'm the only one who owns one (my wife is more a tablet person, she has a Nexus 10). It's my greatest shame to admit I come from an Isheep family. :p

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
2. Re: Gigabyte Aivia Osmium Mechanical Keyboard Feb 22, 2013, 14:25 Fion

I've heard the 'ode to the mechanical keyboard' myself. I can't imagine going back.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 18, 2013, 14:34 Fion

swedishfriend wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 11:59:
Consoles don't need as much power to get better results because programmers will get much closer to the hardware. The general consensus From people who review both PC and console games is that no hardware you can buy today will be enough to run the games that are coming for the new consoles. They are saying don't upgrade until next year to be ready for the next generation of games...

That's simply hype. The consoles are based upon PC tech more-so than ever. The only thing they can do is rope the hardware makers into holding off on equivalent releases for a time - similarly to how they did with the PS3/XBox 360 when they released. But the speed at which PC tech advances, upon release they'll already be behind the curve compared to enthusiast systems.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Feb 10, 2013, 14:09 Fion

Epic tech demo's are always cool but they are an illusion that generally features a handful of separate, static scenes that use bitmaps and low-poly backgrounds filled with two or three very high poly characters with all the bells and whistles that would be entirely unfeasible in an actual game because real games have a budget based on hardware constraints.

That particular one was cool as hell, but no less an illusion.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2013, 14:16.

News Comments > Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling
21. Re: Diablo III Dueling Now Called Brawling Feb 9, 2013, 15:18 Fion

The poison that is the modern-day WoW live team has clearly seeped into the open wound that is Diablo 3. Is it any wonder both games are dying.  

News Comments > RAGE Tool Kit
52. Re: RAGE Tool Kit Feb 9, 2013, 15:13 Fion

It seems to me the one and only reason for the texture issues in Rage is the simple fact that thanks to Bethesda, it was a console-focused game. The texturing technique relies even more heavily on available memory than traditional texturing, and with consoles that resource is thin at best. So the quality of the mega-textures over-all was reduced 'specifically' to make the game playable at high framerates on consoles.

I think if we see a PC focused game using the technique, we'll really get to see the technology shine. Even in Rage IMHO the graphics were largely amazing, the gameplay was very tight and the animation system was revolutionary. The only thing I didn't like about the game was the cut-off ending.

News Comments > WoW Currency Conversions
6. Re: WoW Currency Conversions Feb 6, 2013, 15:25 Fion

I think the real question deqer is why would you continue pay to play for those reasons.

I personally stopped playing WoW when GW2 came out and hit me in the face with the realization that I was paying for the privilege to sit around in town while waiting for my raid/random to start so I could go after that 1% drop or gather my points to spend in rainbow sunshine gear. What a TREMENDOUS waste of money.

Say what ya will about GW2 but I've gotten far more fun, and far more regular (and content packed) updates to the game in the ~6 months it's been out than in the ~6 years I put into WoW.. sans the $4000 or so I put into that game.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2013, 14:24 Fion

'Because video games affect people.'

I don't think I've heard a better argument for term limits than this one. When you get so old you don't understand how the modern world works, you should no longer be in charge of it.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Pre-Sales
9. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dragonborn Pre-Sales Jan 28, 2013, 03:31 Fion

Looking forward to this one, hear it's quite extensive and fun. But hell I haven't even done any of the last DLC I bought. Every time I get into the game for a few weeks I think 'ok, time to do the DLC stuff' but then I find myself off doing 20 other things that I haven't done before.. even with my high elf sorcerer/vampire character! Hell, I have ~300 hours played and I haven't even gotten very far in the story on my main char (I'm up to the whole infiltrate the high elf base part), let alone hardly any of the war stuff.

Ah well, it's a great game for the 'dry season' that usually happens in feb/march. Even better to have new stuff just waiting to be played.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined
37. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 16, 2013, 00:40 Fion

Same as a bunch of folks I'm rather taking a break because of all the fantastic games out this winter. But I'm sure come march/april when the game market dries up I'll be back with a vengeance.

This is typically how I play MMOGs, and many other long-term games. I've got hundreds of hours into Skyrim that tends to be 50 one month, 50 more three months later.. etc.

I do agree you don't feel quite so connected to your character but like others have mentioned in regular MMOGs you play so often just to get your moneys worth that it's easier to create that connection. But frankly I'd much rather be able to come and go as I please without worry of payments and shit.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 12, 2013, 22:59 Fion

The entire telecom industry in this country is 'scratch each others back, stay out of each others territory' so that they can each set their prices at a whim without ever having to worry about competing with each other.

Unfortunately they also give tens of millions to congress so the virtual monopoly will likely never go challenged on a country-wide basis.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 12, 2013, 19:51 Fion

I'm hoping for standalone HBO Go sooner rather than later. I barely watch TV on an actual TV these days. I'd probably cancel it entirely if I didn't have to pay for HBO just so I can use HBO Go. I'd very happily pay what I pay Time Warner Cable for HBO but directly to HBO themselves for streaming content.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 7, 2013, 14:42 Fion

'Iphone5 is the worst of the top smartphones'

That's misleading how?

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Bans
27. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans Jan 4, 2013, 14:53 Fion

Verno wrote on Jan 4, 2013, 09:54:
I agree about the WvW travel times, they really need to do something about that. I love their no mounts approach to the game but I think large scale PvP is the one spot where they would be a great fit.

They have done something about that. When your side conquers particular keeps it unlocks a waypoint you can use. They aren't everywhere but they can still cut traveling time in half.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Bans
26. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans Jan 4, 2013, 14:45 Fion

People play also because they have to get their money's worth. I'm quite invested in GW2 when it comes to my guild, the friends I've made, but no I don't feel I 'have' to play the game, so I've gone a week without logging in at times, generally when there's a big new game out or something.

Gotta say it's nice to see Anet releasing new content on a monthly basis. It's already seen more new content than some P2P MMOGs see in a years time, sans expansions. I'm particularly looking forward to this Feb/March mega-patch.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 1, 2013, 15:52 Fion

Even if half of those are pushed back a year+, it will still be a good year for gaming next year. Cant wait for at least a dozen of the listed titles.

Somewhat off subject, WTF is up with the train wreck that is Mass Effect 3 winning all these GotY titles? There were so many amazing games that completely overshadowed ME3.

News Comments > WoW 5.2 Preview
1. Re: WoW 5.2 Preview Dec 22, 2012, 15:32 Fion

Gotta love WoW patches.

10% new content

89% class nerfs

1% bug fixes

News Comments > EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM
32. Re: EA Can't Say It Wasn't Warned About SimCity DRM Dec 18, 2012, 14:21 Fion

Haven't these people realized that always-on DRM doesn't even work? Look at Ubi's always on DRM, that was cracked in days. How long will they force paying customers to jump through hoops while torrenters play the game with a few simple steps.

On SimCityV, it does look significantly simplified. But I'm not entirely sure we've seen all there is to know. What we've seen in demo vids so far has been pretty simplistic. It seems to me that you could finish a modern city in days and when then is left? So I'm reserving judgement on the game. What I see I like, though I wish they'd add more classic SimCity features.

News Comments > Game Reviews
7. Re: Game Reviews Dec 14, 2012, 12:38 Fion

The things I do like about FC3 include;

The healing system. FC2/3's healing system is so much better and more interactive than most FPS auto-healing.

The AI is very solid. Enemies will actively flank you and flush you out with grenades/molotovs and the stealth system isn't instant invisibility.

And of course the simple fact that it is a sandbox, and that I can approach a lot of it how I wish. When taking bases I can be Rambo or Solid Snake, and anything in between.

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Dec 13, 2012, 14:22 Fion

Don't worry Nin I'm with you on this one. The game is mediocre IMHO, though I'm only like 8 hours into it and have only done a handful of story missions.

If the year had been mediocre for gaming I probably would have liked it better, but we've had so many amazing games this year already. From
Torchlight 2 to Guild Wars 2, Dishonored, Walking Dead, Borderlands 2, Mark of the Ninja. Even Mass Effect 3 if you discount the ending.
This game just isn't good enough to be noticed amongst the crowd frankly.

And yea wtf is up with boars? You need their skins for perhaps the most important upgrade early in the game.. ammo capacity. I've unlocked 2/3 of the map (I was told to unlock the map early) and have yet to see a boar icon on the map or see one in the game world. I practically have every single other upgrade accept the ones that require a rare skin, and I have several of those!

3070 Comments. 154 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo