Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3043 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Watch Dogs Trailer
21. Re: Watch Dogs Trailer Sep 5, 2013, 01:45 Fion

I haven't even looked at this game. Like many I just assumed it was like a Sleeping Dogs sequel or something. Watching this I'm rather excited. If even half of this is actually dynamic and not scripted out the ass I'll pick it up.

Only thing that worries me a bit is how easy it appears to hack anything. A simple press of a button and you're in any system in the game? I understand it would get boring QUICK if you had to go through a mini-game on every hack but there should be some aspect to hacking beyond 'hold Q'. Maybe I'm missing something and just haven't looked into the game enough.

Then again this is Ubisoft and Assassin's Creed is basically just that. You basically hold or click one button to do everything from fighting to climbing, interacting, sneaking, you name it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 1, 2013, 16:01 Fion

ASeven wrote on Sep 1, 2013, 14:44:
The Outlast and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs coming out in the next 2 weeks. These will be a memorable couple of weeks for horror lovers.

Oh no. That means I have to man up and actually finish Amnesia: the Dark Descent.

Wonderful...

News Comments > Diablo III 2.0 Details
16. Re: Diablo III 2.0 Details Aug 29, 2013, 15:36 Fion

I'll believe this revamped gear system when I see it. Dropping the ball on gear in a game that is 100% about finding awesome gear leads me to believe they couldn't fix the problem if they wanted to because they 'don't know there is one.'

The problem with Diablo 3 loot is very easily explained by a fan-made infographic:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9989/infographiclarge.png

As you can see Diablo 3's gear system isn't just broken, its downright been designed based on the games entirely arbitrary attribute system. A system that would need to be utterly redesigned to make loot 'not suck'. Adding a few extra random variables or a handful of new modifiers isn't going to get the job done.

News Comments > Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs
11. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 28, 2013, 22:56 Fion

The footage we've seen isn't even pre-alpha. It's from a tech demo. The chance it even remotely resembles the finished product is practically nil.  

News Comments > Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs
7. Re: Sony Online Entertainment Layoffs Aug 28, 2013, 21:40 Fion

I know people are freaking out and farting hype rainbows over EQ:Next but folks need to take a step back and realize this is SOE. There isn't anyone who has ever played one of their games that they didn't piss off or f*ck over.

Need I remind anyone of the dreaded Starwars NGE?

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts - Saints Row IV "4th Biggest Launch of the Year"
6. Re: U.K. Sales Charts - Saints Row IV Aug 27, 2013, 17:24 Fion

You mean a hot Asian puckish rogue with bouncy tits.

I was worried the super powers would make the game to easy but it doesn't really. You are powerful and able to one-shot many enemies but you can still be overwhelmed with firepower. Oh and the weapons are awesome. 'Merica is the greatest video game weapon since the BFG.

The only thing I dislike so far is the myriad side-missions that are essentially just a collection of minigames. Now mind, the minigames are generally fun but I dislike them being forced on you because a lot of the powers, weapons and upgrades are gained by doing them specifically. I'd rather they just be tied with the main missions or loyalty missions (which are often awesome.)

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 2013, 17:29.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Free Trial & Heroic Edition Launch
22. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial & Heroic Edition Launch Aug 23, 2013, 19:12 Fion

Colorado now adays they add content so fast that there is always something to do at 80. My main has been 80 for months and I haven't done a great many things like world completion, very much WvW or finish my Personal Story because they push out content so fast.

Now the content varies from meh stuff that consists mostly of achievement farming but lately much more often the content is awesome. The living story is finally getting good and there's tuns of fun stuff to do, cool skins or titles to go after, etc.

Super Adventure Box, Flame & Frost dungeon, Aetherblade Retreat, Bazaar of the Four Winds, Queen's Jubilee and now Clockwork Chaos each of these content patches brought a lot of stuff to the game. New zones, new events, new powers and awesome dungeons slated to return as Fractals down the road. A lot of it until recently was temporary but IMHO that was a good thing because it allowed players to get temporarily available armor/weapon skins that help make each character more individualized and interesting. But lately a lot of it has been permanent or returning content. For example the Super Adventure Box is rumored to come back out in September with all new content. I can't freaking wait.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2013, 19:18.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions
22. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Also Features Microtransactions Aug 23, 2013, 14:41 Fion

A monthly fee and microtransactions for what is essentially a non-MMOG? For those that don't know it works largely like Neverwinter. There's a hub area where people hang out, craft, go to merchants, join PvP, etc but when you want to do some of the content you go to an instanced area designed for solo or small teams. Only Neverwinter had the wherewithal to go F2P as they knew a P2P/Microtransaction system would have failed outright.

Maybe Zenimax things the name alone will carry their 'almost' MMOG. But they clearly haven't learned from Bioware's mistakes.

Fail.

Edit: I agree we need another Fallout before an Elder Scrolls. But frankly I wasn't very happy with Fallout 3. I felt Bethesda had largely dropped the ball on that one. It was a solid game but I felt more like I was playing Elder Scrolls: Wasteland and less like I was playing Fallout. IMHO Fallout: New Vegas was significantly better, so I'd rather see Fallout 4 from that team.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2013, 14:53.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions
22. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online to Use Subscriptions Aug 21, 2013, 11:23 Fion

The problem with starting subscription based and then potentially going B2P or F2P is that the game is 'designed' as a subscription MMOG, IE it is designed to have content that takes forever to participate in, designed to have a grind to keep players logged in for as long as possible, designed so that people will be forced to go through a bunch of hoops just to do anything because time = money.

The great thing about GW2 IMHO is that it was designed from the ground up to be a B2P game, so it does away with a huge amount of that kind of crap. You can get anywhere in the game world in an instant. Dungeons don't take two hours to set up and four hours to play through. Simple things like transfering crafting mats to the bank because they don't need to force you to run to town when your bags get full (time=money in a P2P) and more.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed
12. Re: Guild Wars 2 Free Trial This Month; Sales Record Claimed Aug 16, 2013, 15:39 Fion

avianflu wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 15:31:
I've looked at the gameplay videos on youtube (there's tons) and the game looks fine if you actually like MMORPG's.

Personally never liked any game that had a row of cool-down timers. For me, zzzzzzz.

It does have cool-down timers but at the same time it doesn't work like other MMOGs. Combat is very active, a mix between classic tab-targeting of say WoW and modern active 'console' combat like DCUO or Tera. It's very fast paced, movement and positioning become important.

I very much recommend the trial. It's hard to describe just how good the combat is, and don't let the 'row of cooldown timers' fool you into thinking it's just WoW combat.

News Comments > Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs Next Month
9. Re: Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs Next Month Aug 16, 2013, 15:26 Fion

jdreyer wrote on Aug 16, 2013, 15:16:
*Upon hearing the release date, JDreyer loses control of all bodily functions*

QFT

I'm already getting that familiar pang of worry and fright in my guts, just thinking about it. I'm not super hyped, I doubt they could surpass the most frightening game ever made, but even if they get close I'll love the hell out of it.

Now to force myself to finish The Dark Descent. I was last in the prison level and scared out of my wits.

As to the OR, I can see why they don't want to support it. The lawsuits from the relatives of players who died of pure fright are sure to start racking up otherwise.

News Comments > Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer
6. Re: Techland Opens Canadian Studio; Releases First Dying Light Gameplay Trailer Aug 16, 2013, 15:15 Fion

I hope the parkour is more like Mirrors Edge where you had to more actively use the controls to achieve the jumping and climbing and there are trick jumps to learn to improve your abilities, etc and less Assassin's Creed where it's all 'hold down q' and the game does the rest.

I enjoyed Dead Island so I really don't mind if they do something similar, though it looks more inspired this time around. I like that the zombies change and become significantly more threatening at night. There never was anything like that in Dead Island.

Hope they keep the difficulty up. Dead Island is one of few modern games that truly got difficult in some areas.

News Comments > GTA Online Trailer
39. Re: GTA Online Trailer Aug 15, 2013, 21:30 Fion

[VG]Reagle wrote on Aug 15, 2013, 20:00:
NO PC FOR RED DEAD NOW THIS???

HOT COFFEE MAKING BASTARDS. I HATE ROCKSTAR

Red Dead Redemption was an Xbox 360 exclusive, this isn't. Therefor there 'will' be a PC edition. We may need to wait 6 odd months for it like we did for GTA IV. Though personally I expect to see it around xmas, 2 months after console release, or perhaps in early winter.

News Comments > Arkane's Prey 2 Rumors Resurface
3. Re: Arkane's Prey 2 Rumors Resurface Aug 15, 2013, 21:22 Fion

Whenever I see 'spiritual successor to System Shock (2)' I'll believe it when I see it. I too saw the demo at quakecon a few years back and it looked really fun and unusual, just like the first game was fun but unusual.

Arcane however is a good studio I'd like to see a reboot at. Dishonored was my GOTY in a year of great games. So I'm pretty excited to see what they do with Prey 2. I hope they stick with the general style and color palette of the demo we saw, as it was a real nice change from the 'grey and brown' 95% of shooters give us.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
17. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 12, 2013, 06:21 Fion

Cyant wrote on Aug 11, 2013, 18:49:
How linear Shadowrun was killed it for me, and seriously no MP to run a game with your friends as a GM WTF??

Yea same here. I haven't even finished the main campaign yet. As well done as it is it's just so painfully linear and most 'runs' are near on identical. And I too was going to GM a game so the lack of any kind of co-op (or even hint about it being in a future patch) is a huge downer for me.

At least the mod community is strong and may yet turn this descent RPG (with really good writing I might add) into a game worth every penny. I modded and played Neverwinter Nights for nearly 6 years (and that doesn't even include NWN2). That games community is STILL pumping out content. If SR:R manages to draw even half that kind of crowd, I'll be happy.

There is also the second city 'dlc' in the works, I hope it isn't as painfully linear.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 8, 2013, 00:19 Fion

The new solid state techs mean that I might actually buy a SSD fairly soon. Call me stingy but of those friends who've switched to SSD's, most of their drives have failed in the last few years. So I'll wait till their stability and capacity increases at a decent price. I'm not paying $300 for a 200gb HD that will likely fail far sooner than a regular HD would.

And yea Time Warner is a piece of shit company. But frankly because of the organized monopolies between cable companies, I have no alternative and my luck Comcast would probably take over and they are even worse!

News Comments > Saints Row IV Inauguration Station Released
7. Re: Saints Row IV Inauguration Station Released Aug 8, 2013, 00:11 Fion

The city is the same yea but it's also virtual, so who knows what kind of crazy shit they could do to it through gameplay. Personally I'd have liked to see some of those buildings be destructible, so your super powered self could demolish some of those skyscrapers and watch them fall.

As to character, I'll likely re-create my foxy asian chick from SR3. I can't upload her to the site with SR3 because of their screwed up system but since the creator is apparently identical, now I don't need to.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 8, 2013, 00:00 Fion

3-Way SLI Titans on a 4k LED monitor must be incredible. I've never spent $4 grand on a PC and likely never will. I'll probably never even go for a 3-monitor setup. Still I'd love to see such a setup.  

News Comments > Dead Island Epidemic Announced
10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2013, 23:54 Fion

Left 4 Dead games a huge disappointment?

Blasphemy!

News Comments > John Carmack Joins Oculus VR
23. Re: John Carmack Joins Oculus VR Aug 7, 2013, 12:33 Fion

Frijoles wrote on Aug 7, 2013, 11:50:
Very awesome news. With how quiet he has been lately with regards to Oculus, some of were wondering if there had been a falling out. Glad to see this was the plan.

Also, Doom BFG is pretty damn awesome with the Rift. First time a game has actually made me feel uneasy (in a scared way).

I'm going to assume you've never played Amnesia: the Dark Descent.

Now that I think of it, don't 'ever' play Amnesia with the Rift or you will be shitting your pants in a literal sense.

3043 Comments. 153 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo