Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3021 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details
15. Re: Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details Aug 2, 2013, 16:50 Fion

NKD wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 16:48:
Fion wrote on Aug 2, 2013, 16:44:

And the whole destrucable terrain, I'll believe it when I see it. What I saw was 2 characters run to stand on just the right spot so that when the elemental hit it, they fell into a mini-dungeon. I'm also hot happy that the game is largley quest based. Quest-based advancement belongs in a themepark, not a sandbox.

Did you see the video at the end of the live gameplay where they were fighting the uh... guy with the big white glowy spells again? The ground was getting deformed as the fight progressed and the floor actually wore all the way through in a few spots. It looked fully dynamic, not prescripted.

What I saw was twice that the screen was filled with debri, blocking the screen and then when it was cleared, things looked different. The depressed floor, the smashed in half home. That tells me it's more procedural or more likely pre-designed to chance when certain markers are met. It didn't look dynamic at all. However it is still early so it's possible they made it that way for the demo because the tech behind those things isn't 100% yet. Only time will tell.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2013, 17:17.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details
13. Re: Voxel-based EverQuest Next Details Aug 2, 2013, 16:44 Fion

I know it's early but the characters look completely out of place in that video. They look low poly and cartoonish while the world seems more a mix, leaning toward photo-realistic. I know it's early footage but damn. As if the character art folks and environment artists work in a different building or something.

Anyone notice the lag? Before combat even began there were spikes and an obvious over-all framerate at under 30hz, and this is most likely on a monstrous rig. Obviously this can be improved as development continues, but EQ2 suffered from shitty framerate too and it was never fixed (at least when I played, beta to the first few months.)

And the whole destrucable terrain, I'll believe it when I see it. What I saw was 2 characters run to stand on just the right spot so that when the elemental hit it, they fell into a mini-dungeon. I'm also hot happy that the game is largley quest based. Quest-based advancement belongs in a themepark, not a sandbox.

Advancement through use (ala classic EQ), and no lvls I like quite a lot, but I worry that it could get boring like it did in SWG. Gotta lvl a new skill? Get out the scripts and let it grind afk all night.

I'm also a bit worried about the minecraft builder. it looks fantastic (though a bit less user-friendly) but the idea that it will involve a real money market and royalty system.. we'll see how that pans out but it so very rarely works without massive issues (ala D3's RMAH).

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
2. Re: Google Babel Jul 28, 2013, 19:20 Fion

Well Android as a whole has been kicking Apples ass for several years now. But there wasn't any one company that was beating them.. until now. Android rocks, and it's open nature is much more enjoyable than Apples closed systems and strict rules. Hopefully when the Ubuntu phones hit, we'll get even more open ended phones.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 28, 2013, 19:17 Fion

I'm def enjoying Shadowrun Returns. My Decker is kicking the matrix' ass and taking names heh. I'll probably do a second runthrough when I'm done, check out some mods (and campaigns people are making) and perhaps try my hand at the toolset. Just days after release there is already some good stuff on the Steam Workshop, I forsee a strong community that makes content for a long time to come. Maybe even as strong as NWN1/2's mod community was and still is.

Nice to see Civ V kicking but. The new expansion is amazingly good and the great deal on Gold Edition seems to have brought in a massive wave of new players.

News Comments > 7.7 Million WoW Subs
28. Re: 7.7 Million WoW Subs Jul 26, 2013, 14:53 Fion

I know they keep saying most of these loses are in the east. But they have to explain why I have friends pleading for me to return so they can have more people to raid with and that dozens or more of the US servers are all but dead. At some point Blizz is going to have to acknowledge this and do some form of consolidation.  

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 21, 2013, 14:15 Fion

Yes everyone vote Blood Dragon please, I haven't picked it up yet, just been waiting for a good sale.

My biggest deal so far has been Tomb Raider (2013). It's a hell of a good game. I also got some of the Borderlands 2 DLC I was missing. Over-all I've found this summer sale a bit of a let down, most days the sales are games I already own or have no interest in. There just doesn't seem to be the variety there has been in previous years, and I suspect it's because they only put games on sale that also had cards, which IMHO limited the potential games severely.

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Launch Trailer
15. Re: Shadowrun Returns Launch Trailer Jul 19, 2013, 07:18 Fion

I'm gonna be GMing a game with some friends probly, depending on how strong the tools are and if I can work with stuff on the fly. Looking forward to it.

And I'll probably go Decker in the campaign. Ever since I read Neuromancer as a teen and then played my first game of Shadowrun I've loved the class. I'm still wading through the 600+ page 5th edition PDF, but they look pretty sweet in the new ed.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Election Season Begins
4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Election Season Begins Jul 16, 2013, 14:29 Fion

I suspect the patch will also update and affect things over at the Bazaar, at least I hope. It's been an amazing patch, best since Super Adventure Box.  

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Keys Inbound
19. Re: Shadowrun Returns Keys Inbound Jul 16, 2013, 14:24 Fion

Can't wait. I hope the tools and GM support is good, as I plan on running a campaign with some friends using it. Gotta find out how well I can freestyle it though first.  

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 14, 2013, 23:00 Fion

Yea I'm having a lot of fun with Tombraider. Quicktime events were a pain in the ass (specifically the 'mash left and right') but once I started using a script for that, no problems.

So far I've grabbed;

Brave New World (non-sale, amazing expansion)
Tomb Raider 2013 (really fun!)
Witcher 2 (Haven't even loaded it up yet)
Spec-Ops: the Line (DL'ing now, I've heard good things.)

2. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 14, 2013, 13:27 Fion

Brave New World is a must for any Civ fan. It's easily the best expansion to any Civ game since Beyond the Sword, and totally brings Civ V up to par with Civ IV.

There aren't 80k people playing it daily on steam for nothing.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 13, 2013, 19:34 Fion

They have a lot way to go before they catch up to Apple though, Cutter.

News Comments > World of Warcraft Free Transfers
3. Re: World of Warcraft Free Transfers Jul 12, 2013, 14:29 Fion

I don't play anymore but I have a friend who all but pleads with me to come back because so many of the servers are practically dead. It's impossible to find a raid guild because there aren't enough players left , guilds have even started recruiting in the starter areas to try and convince people to transfer so they can fill out ranks in said guilds. It's getting pretty bad over there, and I have no interest in returning.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 10, 2013, 23:28 Fion

Only problem there Cutter is the Roman Empire took hundreds of years to fall and in many ways still influences the world today.  

News Comments > Orcs Must Die! 2 Adds Steam Workshop Support
2. Re: Orcs Must Die! 2 Adds Steam Workshop Support Jul 10, 2013, 23:19 Fion

First one was better, second one added co-op, but made it pretty much impossible solo.  

News Comments > Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Trailer
6. Re: Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Trailer Jul 10, 2013, 23:18 Fion

sdgundamx wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 21:18:
I picked up Assassin's Creed II during the winter Steam sale on recommendation from a friend. I just got around to starting to play it and I'm really enjoying it

Thats because AC2 is the best of them all. I highly recommend Brotherhood afterwards (summer sale perhaps) as it falls right in line with AC2. AC3 is ok, different characters, more hand-holding and less sandbox, but still good. This one looks pretty sweet.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Gameplay Trailer Teases "Grand Theft Auto Online"
68. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Gameplay Trailer Teases Jul 9, 2013, 15:43 Fion

There will be a PC version. There have always been PC versions and they sell very well generally. So I'll either wait for that or get it when the PS4 version hits.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jul 3, 2013, 00:02 Fion

And so it begins.  

News Comments > Saints Row IV Video
2. Re: Saints Row IV Video Jun 28, 2013, 23:37 Fion

Yea I preordered there myself. Nice deal. Cant wait  

News Comments > Free Space Pirates and Zombies Weekend
2. Re: Free Space Pirates and Zombies Weekend Jun 28, 2013, 01:00 Fion

Takes quite a while to get any of the interesting ships or find the interesting sectors but it is a big open game and a lot of fun.  

3021 Comments. 152 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo