Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Tampa, FL 10/09
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3277 (Veteran)
User ID 17499
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools
14. Re: The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools Aug 14, 2015, 12:22 Fion
Spektr wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 11:16:

Basically for a first time with an open world game the studio nailed it right away. As opposed to the Elder scrolls where each new episode is a disappointment leaving a bitter "they could have done better" aftertaste.
One big difference, I don't know if that's related to CDProjekt being European but this studio knows what a medieval city looks like. Also they know what a realistic landscape looks like, but since there are landscapes in the US they have no excuse.
No offence but the cities in the elder scroll games have been ridiculously small since Morrowind. This reached a certain level in ESO where I calculated one area's major city didn't have any habitation building in them.
Also the main map in Witcher3 is more than three times larger than the one in Skyrim. Which didn't prevent them from implementing seamless indoors/outdoors transitions in their maps.
ok maybe their landscapes are more desolate but that's exactly what makes them realistic.
But that's the technical side of thing. The quests are muuuch better.
Bethesda take heed, and wake up.

Agree et al. I think it must be the fact that CDPR is in Europe so they know what a medieval city looks like, especially when compared to Elder Scroll cities that look like fantasy paintings in that they are highly stylized but utterly unrealistic. I mean really? The largest city in Skyrim has a population of 85. Sure you can talk and interact and have a conversation with each one of them but having thousands of people crowding Novigrad is much more realistic. Even if only 5% of them have any dialog trees.

I think it's one reason why Bethesda recently stated that 'the next elder scrolls is a long ways off'. They know CDPR has so out-done them in every way.

Another thing that blows my mind is just how fast the game loads. Yea the 'recap videos' are a pain in the ass. Hoping to see a mod soon that removes them once you've seen them (were as the current mod removes em no matter what). But with an SSD the central map, 3x the sideof skyrim and probably a twice that of GTA V's world. The game loads up in about 15 seconds at the most, and often under 5 when waypointing-about. Compare this to GTA V which for me takes 30-40 seconds just to load into the game on an SSD. I cant imagine how slow it is to load on consoles.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2015, 12:46.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools
11. Re: The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools Aug 14, 2015, 12:09 Fion
My #1 mod to see: A mod that cuts quest xp in half at least.

Yea I know one already exists but it barely works and when it does.. patches break it. Maybe with the full release of mod tools someone can make one that doesn't break so easily and works 100% of the time.
News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2015, 12:28 Fion
Wait.. testing counter-strike pros for cannabis use? Why on earth would they be on pot while playing? It'd only dramatically slow down their reaction time and ability to think clearly about map dynamics.  
News Comments > The International Results
35. Re: The International Results Aug 10, 2015, 14:13 Fion
I agree all the teams that make the tourney should at least get a nice little bonus at the end.

And cutter, who I often agree with. If you think this is just some kids having fun without any real challenge or effort you couldn't be more wrong. The e-sports scene has a really high turnover rate because of the extreme pressure, focus and practice-time requires to build the skill necessary to compete at the high levels. The burn-out rate is higher than any other sport in the world.

On top of that these are very fun to watch. I barely know what I'm watching but it's exciting, tense and the finale had two very evenly matched up teams. I basically spent the whole time talking to my DOTA 2 playing friend on steam asking him questions. I think EG had the upper hand in almost every game accept one, especially any time their most famous player was able to play that spirit guy, which he was amazing at.

And yes the last game, when out of desperation (and lack of map view) CDEC went for the Aegis and EG just nuked the shit out of them. That and apparently their last draft pick wasn't so awesome.

Grats to EG for being the first ever american team to hit the finals and first ever to win it all!
News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Aug 9, 2015, 15:02 Fion
The Darkness II is a really fun 10 hour romp, light in tone, funny with lots of crazy powers and decent shooter mechanics. It isn't the greatest game ever made but if your looking for something to help get you over the 'summer slump', it's a very fun game for $6.  
News Comments > Saturday Previews
3. Re: Saturday Previews Aug 8, 2015, 14:33 Fion
*cough*bullshit*cough* ars technica.

Looked pretty basic to me. All ships have the same weapons/armor/maneuvers. You just blow each other up in a small map with no goal other than 'first team to x-hundred kills wins'. Where are the capitol ships to try to destroy or land on and wreak havoc? (Battlefront 1 & 2) where are the variety of different ships to try out each with their own unique armaments and goals to achieve from simple protection detail to large raids on enemy stations (xwing vs. tie fighter).

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2015, 14:38.
News Comments > Assassin's Creed Syndicate Trailer
2. Re: Assassin's Creed Syndicate Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 13:38 Fion
One of the reasons I've enjoyed some of the AC games is the historicla settings, exploring lovingly crafted worlds during their hayday. Industrialized Britain looks fun quite awesome.

Lets hope this is one of the 15% of AC games that doesn't suck horribly.
News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Fighter Squadron Teaser
20. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Fighter Squadron Teaser Aug 4, 2015, 14:00 Fion
As I've heard it, the fighters aren't on rails but the map they've had playable is so small that you can barely do anything but turn - shoot- turn - shoot - turn - shoot.

And yea, SW:ToR had terrible space missions. Star Wars Galaxies space-stuff was sooo muuuch betterrr.
News Comments > Fallout 4 "Basically Done"
24. Re: Fallout 4 Jul 28, 2015, 14:34 Fion
I'm replaying Fallout 3 and New Vegas during the gaming 'dry season' that is the mid-summer months. Currently a good ways into Fallout 3, with some mods that improve graphics, spice up gameplay a bit. I never did any of the DLC back in the day which I had heard was very solid, so I got them all for $25 on steam. So far I'm definitely impressed.

As to the game being basically done and they are working on fixes. Let's remember this is a Bethesda RPG and that means an insane number of quirks and bugs on their aging engine. So taking an extra 6 months to fix that stuff is all good in my book.

Obviously also the teams that are finished are probably working on the DLC too.
News Comments > PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Plans
12. Re: PC Rise of the Tomb Raider Plans Jul 24, 2015, 13:10 Fion
Oh Microsoft you need to stop trying to turn PC's into a console. It's never going to happen and your never going to have the kind of power and control you do over the xbox.

I mean seriously, exclaiming it's availability on Windows 10 as if it were an exclusive platform? Get outa here!

Adored the Tombraider reboot and have been anticipating this game for a while. I hope the PC port is solid or at least that it has steam controller support, cause I'll almost certainly have one by then.
News Comments > Shadowrun: Hong Kong Next Month
2. Re: Shadowrun: Hong Kong Next Month Jul 24, 2015, 12:52 Fion
I just recently picked up Dragonfall, I've played a bit but other games have kinda superseeded it, like GTA 5 and Witcher 3.  
News Comments > Bombshell Trailer
10. Re: Bombshell Trailer Jul 24, 2015, 12:51 Fion
I don't mind the isometric, makes it feel a bit more RPG that way. All I'd like to see is a PC version without that stupid radial menu, let me hot-key everything instead please!

All in all it looks like a decent romp. I'd pick it up for $20, especially if it had good like 4 player co-op with decent synergy between abilities.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2015, 12:56 Fion
Whats most impressive about this is that she nails the aria (the first half) of the song which professionals will tell you is the hardest part. I think that is why the female judge 'turned around' so rapidly, she knew if she could hit that Aria, she had amazing talent for her age.

The second part has a lot of pitch shifting and while she has a little trouble with it and doesn't hit some of those high notes, it's still damn impressive for a young teenager.

And yea, 5th Element is a permanent fixture on my Netflix list.
News Comments > The Witcher 3 Free DLC
19. Re: The Witcher 3 Free DLC Jul 22, 2015, 12:45 Fion
Alamar wrote on Jul 22, 2015, 12:32:
What a bunch of fart smellers... I may have that backwards...

I have no interest in any of this DLC... New vanity shit does nothing for me. But even ignoring the consistent functional updates (that I do care about), they've made a very interesting/smart choice with pumping out all this mini shit ever few weeks... Keeps people talking about it, which is 'near free' marketing... Those on the fence, keep getting bombarded by new 'free content', making the purchase sound that much sweeter... And every thread has people talking about what a great game this was... That last part is pretty important I guess, otherwise, 17 or so reminders of a shitty game might not have such a positive effect ; )

Ever heard the expression 'Don't look a gift horse in the mouth'. Well by bitching about content you get for free you certainly count as doing so. Sure most of it has been just new skins for major NPCs but there have been a few funny or interesting quests, new gear sets to go after for Geralt and Roach (his horse). I agree with you the strategy wouldn't really help a bad game, or had a small price tag (horse armor anyone?), but Witcher 3 is widely considered one of the best games in the last decade, and so bitching about DLC that only gives you more options and content for FREE is rather borish.
News Comments > The Witcher 3 Patch & Free DLC
5. Re: The Witcher 3 Patch & Free DLC Jul 19, 2015, 10:51 Fion
Love these guys at CDPR, I'll definitely be buying the expansions!

Great patch too, with some much needed stuff like a book inventory tab, pinned ingredients and a stash!
News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Logitech Is Changing Its Name to Jul 8, 2015, 13:46 Fion
The most widely recognized and arguably best computer peripheral brand in the world decides to remove 'tech' from it's name? WTF kind of fail idea is that? That's almost as bad as when Netflix wanted to change its name to Qwikster.  
News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch Adds MP Content
15. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch Adds MP Content Jul 8, 2015, 13:25 Fion
I loved this game, at least the primary quests. The main storyline was solid, with parts of it extremely well done and moving. Sure the story is the same generic story Bioware tells in every one of their games but who cares. Sadly the secondary content in the game is almost exclusively terrible. After the first dragon fight or two they become extremely generic (and thus incredibly easy to defeat).

Then of course along came Witcher 3 with a main storyline worthy of an oscar and secondary content that is almost just as good. I've found compelling, emotional, interesting content in Witcher 3 way off the beaten path, such as on the tiny islands in Skellige.
News Comments > Witcher 3 Inventory Patch This Week
22. Re: Witcher 3 Inventory Patch This Week Jul 7, 2015, 14:18 Fion
This is a pretty damn awesome patch. I don't know who the games UI designer(s) are but they clearly fucked up the inventory system. Perhaps my most wanted here was a player stash. All that witcher gear really adds up and yes I'm one of those guys who wants to make everything even if I just end up wearing Cat gear most the time. :p

Now if only they'd release a patch that rebalances the level curve. It's fine lower levels but 10+ you level super fast and it becomes extremely easy to over-level. In my main game by the time I was doing the first few level 12 Skellige missions I was level 25. The reason? I did a LOT of PoI's and side-missions but I still had dozens more to do. So I decided to start over, with the intention to only doing the main missions (and a few side-things if I need the levels) and while I'm still in the middle of red baron/witches I'm already starting to be over-leveled and I've barely touched the side-content.

Come on CDPR, you really need to fix this issue.
News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2015, 11:36 Fion
I agree, woman's can be pretty dirty, just in a different way.

I think the obvious reason US women do so well in the world cup is that we have a strong tradition of young girls playing soccer while boys are generally told to go play football and bash each others heads in because soccer is a girl's sport.

That said the culture on football as the world knows it is changing, I think in large part to latinos who have brought a love of the sport with them as they've immigrated here. It may take 20 years but we might just be a major player in men's soccer as well.

And hey, that bad call penalty kick from the US vs. Germany. There were some pretty shitty calls in that Germany v France game that led to you guys advancing so hey.
News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 5, 2015, 13:40 Fion
People still use iTunes?  
3277 Comments. 164 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo