Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3160 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
2. Re: Steam Top 10 Jan 4, 2015, 13:28 Fion

Hell if I know.

I bought This War of Mine in the last days of the sale and I must say, worth every penny. What a bleak, painful, sorrowful game that is. I haven't made it very far yet, when something terrible inevitably happens I've been just restarting. I need to keep going, and see where the the game takes me.. most likely into manic depression. :p

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Not Even One "M" in Square Enix MMOGs
6. Re: Not Even One Jan 2, 2015, 12:49 Fion

Less than 1-mil between the three? I thought FFXIV was this mega-awesome MMOG that everyone adored? I never tried it, ever since GW2 came out I've had no real interest in the scene.

And yes, an MMOG can be successful and produce revenue without reaching WoW numbers, there are plenty of MMOGs that are successful in their own right.

News Comments > Diablo III Season One End Nears
6. Re: Diablo III Season One End Nears Dec 31, 2014, 13:03 Fion

Apparently there will be a month between when Season 1 ends and Season 2 begins and 'season 1 won't end until at least February' according to Blizz. Why they are dragging this out so much with now months of 2.1.2 testing is beyond me. Everyone is so freaking bored right now. The game is nearly empty beyond the handful of hardcore players in my clan (I log a few hours a week myself).

As to D2 having a better ladder system, D2 was my least favorite of the series (I know, an opinion in the minority) but it did some things best of any, such as loot and build variety. D3 is quickly catching up in that respect and has come a long freaking way since Launch.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 31, 2014, 12:29 Fion

First Guy's GotY is Watch Dogs of all things.

Though at least by page 3 we see someone pick Dark Souls 2 (+DLC). I've found DS2 to be easily one of the greatest games of the year, though I realize a good number of gamers dislike it because of it's difficulty. Almost every 'top game of 2014' list is utterly devoid of my personal GotY.

This comment was edited on Dec 31, 2014, 12:34.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Dec 27, 2014, 13:07 Fion

I think more likely, 10 million people signed up for that free month to get free 2-day shipping only to cancel it when the 'auto-pay' kicks in.

News Comments > Diablo III Experience Bonus
12. Re: Diablo III Experience Bonus Dec 26, 2014, 11:34 Fion

Extremely easy to get geared for T6? I must be playing a different game, though frankly I play rather casually. I have 175 hours on my main char and still struggle with him on T4.

Granted.. that char is a Wizard. On top of that Leg drop rates are wonky. I might get 4 in a single rift or none over the course of three. 90% of what drops for me is utterly useless. My Wand of Woe is the best drop I've ever gotten. Hell I haven't even gotten more than 4 pieces of Firebirds.

And to reply on Greed portals, yea they need a fix. I have about 500 Rift Keystones. Once I got a good Ring of Royal Grandeur I've hardly run any bounties since.

News Comments > Eye Occilations and Framerate
4. Re: Eye Occilations and Framerate Dec 25, 2014, 23:01 Fion

24 FPS looks 'cinematic' and 48/60 look 'video-y' because video camcorders, go-pros, cell phone cameras, etc shoot at a higher framerate. Movies/TV shot at those framerates look more real, there's less potential for suspension of disbelief, and as eRe4s3r said, CG animation cannot look as believable below that.

If the movie industry converted today there would be a lot of growing pains but 10 years later the first movie to come out at 24 fps again would look terrible to everyone.

News Comments > Diablo III Experience Bonus
5. Re: Diablo III Experience Bonus Dec 25, 2014, 22:54 Fion

I play D3 while listening to RPG Lets Plays. ATM I'm listening to http://strandgamers.com/ Nightingale Archive, a World of Darkness prelude to the current ongoing Changeling: the Lost game. I find I can keep my notice focused on both fairly easily and listen to a fun game while I grind gear. I normally hate grinding so I cannot play D3 and games like it without something to listen to.

I spose I could use the XP buff to grind season paragon levels. But frankly I'd rather just continue to gear my main Wiz. A buff to gold/magic find would have been nicer. A buff to the chance of getting a Greed portal would be awesome. I've had one since 2.1 came out months ago and I tend to play 4-5 hours a week.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 25, 2014, 20:46 Fion

Dragon Age: Inquisition is getting most the GotY. It's #2 on my list but only because most of the games content is really boring. 80% of the content in each zone is fetch/kill/fedex with 20% interesting things to find or explore like the [minor side-quest spoiler] puzzle-based haunted mansion in the Emerald Graves.

The main story is (mostly) fantastic but what really shines is the absolute stellar companion system. I never felt this close to any of the companions over 3 games and 200 hours of Mass Effect than I feel about Sera or Cassandra. Hell even the chars I don't like that much (Vivienne and Varric mostly) have a depth to them that Bioware has never previously matched.

Many of the lists I've seen have completely forgotten about Dark Souls 2 it seems. It was my favorite game of the year for so many reasons, it's just odd that so many lists are completely dropping the ball.

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 2014, 20:59.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Transfers Clarified; Specs Next Week
9. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Transfers Clarified; Specs Next Week Dec 17, 2014, 22:17 Fion

Why is it the only GTA games to do good handling were GTA 3 and Vice City? Since then it's gotten progressively worse, though I hear 5 has better handling than 4, it still isn't very good.  

News Comments > Dragon Age Inquisition Free & Paid DLC
13. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Free & Paid DLC Dec 17, 2014, 17:21 Fion

There are a few zones where you need to get someone far away without a waypoint/camp anywhere near it. Mounts are useful there but only when you want to get there fast, which isn't often.

35 hours in Robdot? You have yet to even begin.

News Comments > Dragon Age Inquisition Free & Paid DLC
6. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Free & Paid DLC Dec 17, 2014, 12:17 Fion

I'm so disappointed that the only Halla mount is from the Deluxe Ed of the game. That said, I only mount up on rare occasions anyway (mostly when I want to get to a spot in a zone at a distance but still only half-way between two camps/waypoints... and I'm in a hurry.)

I hear the Dragon Skull throne is pretty awesome though so I may just plop down $10 for that alone lol.

These Flame of the Inquisitory weapons, what level range are they? The Dragon weapons are nice because you unlock Tier 2 and 3 versions through gameplay. That so for the FotI stuff? Or is it like end-game gear?

Hey Bioware, your next free DLC I'd like to see a transmutation system build into the crafting system. Pay some gold to apply a skin I already have to a new weapon or armor. The warden named armors, I.E. 'In Piece, Vigilance', 'In War, Victory' and IMHO the best looking armor in the game 'In Death, Sacrifice' are so awesome but dramatically outstripped by late-game crafted. I wish I could apply that skin to the later-game stuff. :/

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2014, 12:22.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 10, 2014, 14:29 Fion

This doesn't mean that getting HBO 'without' a cable subscription is not going to happen, it means that they won't be creating their own platform to provide the service.

To be honest, HBO Go has sucked since the day it launched. Memory leaks are just one problem. It took months for them to release a version when major new releases of Android came out. Certain devices would have issues (such as Nexus 7 & 10) that were simply never fixed. It was a terrible app and the website only worked 1/2 the time.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow
48. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 13:27 Fion

David wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 13:12:
I find the combat in DA extremely unsatisfying. No matter what class or how powerful the spell or ability or weapon I'm using, it just feels ridiculous at level 20 to still have to hit enemies (even relatively weak ones) over and over and over again before they go down.

Turn down the difficulty perhaps? Or find some 'class specs' that are floating around on reddit and other websites. My late-teens archer can 1-to-3-shot a (mild spoiler) red templar using an Assassin Archery build that takes advantage of poisons and distance to the target. This first play-through is on Normal dif.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow
46. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 13:15 Fion

I'm quite sure that RPG romances are very popular. There are plenty of people who avoid them but when they are done right (as they are here) they immerse you into the character you are playing give meaning to the NPCs you surround your character with. It really isn't about the 'sex' in an RPG, it's about the romance and the tension, the connection and emotion shared. It's about the immersion.

I've personally enjoyed that aspect but don't always indulge it. Sometimes I make the odd choices just to see what happens. I primarily played FemShep through Mass Effect with a long term relationship with Liara. In later replays I've romanced nobody, or Tali, in one I romanced Garrus and while there was no cutscene (didn't bother me) it was a very interesting experience and certainly immersive.

As to the whole 'token gay' thing, DA:I does better than most and specifically Dorian seems lauded as extremely realistic representation of a gay character.

On the original topic, the only zone to do the 'mindless MMO fetch/kill/fedex' quests is the first open zone, Hinterlands. I personally think Bioware did that because you return to Hinterlands quite frequently throughout the game to gather herbs and quickly build Inquisition Points. It's the 'hub' of the early game so to speak and other open zones have far less generic quests besides maybe the 'shards' stuff but they have a use.

And on a personal note: I very much enjoyed Forbidden Oasis because I'm an explorer archetype and I loved finding my way to every nook, cave and peak of that area.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2014, 13:21.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer
2. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer Dec 7, 2014, 12:46 Fion

I've enjoyed the Arkham series, especially when they center around the Joker. Mark Hamill's Joker is just so awesome it made up for the fact that 1/2 the games content has always been puzzles and trophy gathering that was gated beyond unlocking a gadget or side-character to backtrack through the game and get access to meaningless crap.

But the last one wasn't very appealing and now that Shadow of Mordor has markedly improved on the Arkham combat formula, I'm just not sure about the appeal. I mean frankly, the only thing about Batman I really enjoy is Hamill's joker.

And yes, a batmobile with chain guns & rockets? Great job at taking something nostalgic and making it just another video game mechanic. Guess there weren't enough giant slow-motion explosions.

News Comments > Game Awards 2014 Winners
4. Re: Game Awards 2014 Winners Dec 6, 2014, 11:04 Fion

Best Online Game: Destiny

WTF?

News Comments > Game Awards 2014 Winners
2. Re: Game Awards 2014 Winners Dec 6, 2014, 10:52 Fion

Glad GTA 5 didn't get 'GotY' as I was anticipating. Dragon Age: Inquisition certainly is in the top running, through Dark Souls 2 is a close 2nd for me at least. Best shooter Shadow of Mordor was by far the best action/adventure of the year IMHO. Glad to see South Park: Stick of Truth got one, that game is one of the most disgustingly brilliant games of the year.

Ninjas in Pajamas were freaking awesome this year.

edit: Oh and Wolf Among Us should have won best narrative.

News Comments > London-based Assassin's Creed: Victory Next Year
13. Re: London-based Assassin's Creed: Victory Next Year Dec 2, 2014, 23:40 Fion

Not all AS games suck or are bad ports. Sure most of the better ones are older, when they had one dev group working on each game instead of spreading it so thin and giving so little time to each group to each game. AS2 & Brotherhood stand out. Black Flag is quite fun but also extremely formulaic but it's sea-faring niche makes it worth the sale price.

I'm hoping it doesn't suck because Victorian England sounds like a fun place to assassinate bad-guys in.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2014, 00:08.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity DLC
3. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity DLC Nov 29, 2014, 12:12 Fion

Season Passes never include all the DLC when it's Ubisoft at the wheel.  

3160 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo