Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3115 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released
14. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Released Oct 14, 2014, 13:44 Fion

Everyone gets their own loot in co-op.

I've been quite enjoying it. I probably wouldn't have spent $60 on the game, but thanks to GMG I only paid $35.

I'm playing Athena the Gladiator, the shield mechanic is pretty sweet. Very much looking to go a a melee tank & spank build (14/33/0).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 13, 2014, 14:52 Fion

3.2m players? I guess console players just got their first taste of addictive grinding ah? So many people hate the game and yet still play it constantly in the hopes of getting one of those top tier guns so they can PvP without getting creamed until they need to grind for the next tier of guns.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Oct 12, 2014, 17:02 Fion

If anyone can make that show not suck it's Sharlto Copley.

I'll watch it streaming online, not buying a PS4 for what appears to be a lukewarm 'comic-inspired' cop drama.

News Comments > Star Citizen Nears $58M
12. Re: Star Citizen Nears $58M Oct 12, 2014, 15:36 Fion

Holy shit multi-person ships you can walk around in. It isn't like I was doing that in Star Wars Galaxies in 2003. Only it was way more involved in SWG, with different stations and jobs you could perform, with resources that needed managing and tasks to work toward to keep the ship working.

At this point I think the real game is the store. And lots of people are playing it.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Specs
23. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Specs Oct 10, 2014, 20:49 Fion

Please don't suck!

Nice to see 2gb for recommended specs. If these guys can make a multi-platform game without outlandish texture memory requirements, why cant the other guys? How hard is it to decouple GPU memory from RAM?

News Comments > Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations
12. Re: Shadow of Mordor Review Pressure Allegations Oct 7, 2014, 19:49 Fion

You can get a better idea if the game is good from just watching some Twitch streams, seeing what the player (often a prominent youtube reviewers) has to say about the game before they even release a 'pr-ed to death' review.

I personally waited a few days to get the game being fairly unsure because of the failure streak this year. I watched Angry Joe (perhaps my favorite youtube gamer) play the hell out of it and build this awesome rivalry with a powerful warchief.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced
3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Expansion Announced Oct 6, 2014, 14:02 Fion

What does it say about this game that it took this long to even hint at the story-arch of the game that inspired the MMO?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
30. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2014, 18:28 Fion

Actually as you do the weapon missions the weapon gets updated with cool runes and stuff, though I'm not sure as of yet if you get some kind or rewards besides that for completing all of them.  

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 5, 2014, 14:45 Fion

Techie714 wrote on Oct 5, 2014, 11:05:
Shadow of Mordor is getting some really solid reviews. I think a lot of folks are enjoying it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OOd1SrDDH0

My only qualm with this review is that he says 'the captains aren't actually roaming the map in real time.' That isn't true, not only do they roam their small quadrants in the map, but if you build a rival they will seek you out. I had one who managed to kill me and I defeated him, he came back with a big metal plate in his head. Add to that a time or two I ran from him or he escaped me and he got pretty powerful. He would actively seek me out, ambushing me during big fights with other captains. When I finally put him down it was very satisfying because he no longer had any weaknesses accept Graugs (which I hadn't unlocked) and was immune to most everything ahd had a lot of powerful moves.

I'm glad to see the game in the top spot. It isn't the best game I've played but it's certainly one of the best AAA games in a year of repeated disappointments in that market. The game is a little samey, it's mostly about killing orcs but it does that I'd say better than any other similar game whether it be the Batman series or Assassin's Creed. I would definitely recommend it.

I'm currently 17 hours in, I haven't gotten to the 2nd zone yet and I just as of yesterday killed the last warchief and I am about 1/2 way through the weapon side-quests.

My one issue with the game is that I wish it were possibly to kill 'every' captain before replacements came in. I really enjoy the way advancement takes place if you get killed or pass between day & night but I dislike that new Uruks are promoted outside of that window. I want to slaughter them all. Though I suppose when I unlock the ability I can probably take control of all of them.

What most impresses me about the game is the Nemesis system, the shear variety of Uruk chiefs possible and that their look evolves as they gain rank or are defeated and come back wounded after being defeated. My story above, how a rival will track you down, attack with another Captain, etc.

The sound design is fantastic as well, from the sounds of combat to the fact that the game pronounces every captains name (if you find them while in wraith mode), with so many I've only seen the same name twice so far. No two have said the same line to me either, and they tend to be remarkably poignant.

This comment was edited on Oct 5, 2014, 14:56.

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer
17. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer Oct 1, 2014, 18:33 Fion

I'm seriously considering Harmony just so I can own my own Kaiju for the express purpose of attacking a Supremacy city to fight their giant robots.  

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Oct 1, 2014, 13:19 Fion

It's click-bait, I didn't even read it.

wait...

Damn you Cutter and your bedeviling influence!

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Oct 1, 2014, 13:12 Fion

This guys a moron who clearly hasn't tried the Rift. 3d is largely a gimmick that when done well can really enhance a movie but isn't done well 95% of the time.

I think the Rift and it's potential competition could absolutely have mass market or at least multi-market appeal. I mean yea obviously it's going to be a gaming tech first but it's potential is huge. As Lucky Palmer has said himself there are dozens of fields that could see real use of the Rift.

Saying it will never see the market potential of the Iphone is short sighted. 20 years ago the mobile phone was the size of a brick. If someone showed that off to you, it was pretty cool but 'obviously' without any mass market appeal. 20 years of technological advancement we have the smartphone of today. Similarly the Rift is in it's technological infancy with a future a decade or two from now we cannot truly fathom. It's market potential right now is low but with additional competition driving innovation it lead to a product used by billions.

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2014, 13:18.

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer
12. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer Oct 1, 2014, 13:08 Fion

Firaxis has said time and time again that this is not a spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri. And it looks similar to Civ 5 because it's entirely based upon it. Why build an entirely new game mechanically when you have the most successful in your series history right in front of you.

I think as the game is played it will become more and more its own game. I'm happy to see there are some Civ V expansion goodies in there from the get-go, like trade routs.

I've already pre-ordered this, Borderlands Pre-Sequel and Witcher 3. I genenerally try to avoid succumbing to hype (has saved me hundreds this year so far!) and only pre-order from companies I trust, who have a consistent record of hits.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Sep 30, 2014, 14:06 Fion

I feel bad for those few still playing WoW (comparatively to its heyday). Guy did a shite job on Diablo 3, we all know what a crapfest that game was. Thankfully Blizzard pulled that fucktard Wilson off the project and the expansion turned it around with the quickest 180 I've ever seen in gaming. Patch 2.1.0 has only improved things.. sans the 'season' fuck ups.  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released
26. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Sep 30, 2014, 13:24 Fion

I'm giving it a day or two before I purchase it. I'm quite keen to play but this game has been so disappointing when it comes to AAA games the only games I have pre-ordered I got for a nice price cut on GMG and from companies I'm willing to bet on.

Been watching twitch for a while, while avoiding story-mission channels. Reviews say the story is nothing special but that's anything but out of the ordinary on a AAA game. I'm wondering how much of the open world experience is meaningless collectibles and Batman-esque backtracking. I figure a couple days is not that big a wait, after all it took a few days before we all learned what a piece of garbage Destiny was. One game I am seriously happy I waited on.

If it ends up disappointing I can at least pin my hopes on Borderlands: Pre-Sequel.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2014, 14:36 Fion

Nothing is made to last anymore Blue, nothing. Too much money to be made in repair (see Apple) or simply throwing away the broken to be replaced with the new. You think it's an anomaly that everyone's phone tends to start bugging out just a few short months before your contract is up?  

1. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 28, 2014, 14:17 Fion

Why is it every week there's a different 'early release' title I've never heard of at or near the top of the list?

These people are like MMO hoppers.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans
53. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans Sep 26, 2014, 18:59 Fion

The day Destructoid gave Witcher 2 - one of the most defining RPGs of our time - a 6/10, is the day I stopped visiting that website and swore off ever trusting their reviews. Most reviews seem to be pretty positive, saying the story isn't that solid (typical action-adventure) but the combat is fun, difficult and the Nemesis system is a really f'ing cool.  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans
31. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans Sep 26, 2014, 13:47 Fion

The assassin's-creed style combat is the epitome of 'push a button and something awesome happens'. It's why I've only ever truly enjoyed like 2 AS games, because pressing one button to climb towers or fight waves of baddies has never been that fun. It was always the setting that drew me, which is why AS:Brotherhood will always be my fav. Renaissance Italy is beautifully rendered.

That said, reviews are saying the combat is quite a lot harder and if you get surrounded by Uruks you should flee instead of try and fight them all off. That's good to know.

As to Dark Souls 2 combat, I don't see that fitting a mass appeal that these games have. DS2 has fantastic combat, but it would dramatically slow down the pace of the game and reduce the number of enemies one can face at any time to just a couple.

Quite looking forward to this one. I'm itching for a good game to play, this year has been so berift of quality AAA titles aside from the Telltale titles, Dark Souls 2, Wolfenstein and a few outstanding Indies (most of which I haven't played lol).

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Trailer
1. Re: The Witcher 3 Trailer Sep 25, 2014, 19:16 Fion

Am I the only one who thought in the first 10 or 12 seconds 'Damn, those are good graphics! How did they get the trees that realistic?' Then we see a developer and I realize it's all real.  

3115 Comments. 156 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo