Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3050 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 2, 2014, 14:10 Fion

Bioshock Infinite GotY? Eh. Besides a thought provoking ending and a decently interesting story, the gameplay was pretty blah.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Hits 7.6M Concurrent User Record
15. Re: Steam Hits 7.6M Concurrent User Record Dec 30, 2013, 12:57 Fion

I'm willing to bed it's significantly more than 3.25m sold to PC. After all doesn't that site only track physical sales? I mean there are 700k people playing it right now on steam and it's barely mid-day on a Monday. No way 1/5 of all purchasers are playing it right now! That never happens in a long-term game like an MMOG two years after launch (and a year after any official content release), let alone a single player RPG.

I don't really care what the actual number is, the fact that it still sells this fast 2+ years after launch has to make both Steam and Bethesda very happy. I do agree, a large part of that is thanks to the Modding community, which has made this game amazing. I do agree - if you haven't played Skyrim modded, you haven't played Skyrim.

3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 28, 2013, 17:41 Fion

IMHO Bioshock: Infinite wasn't all the great. Besides the solid ending and fun story and characters, the combat was real samey through-out, the gunplay was loose, the customization options completely lacked the depth and variety of Bioshock. I spend most the game going 'when does this get good?' For a story-driven narrative it was pretty solid, everything else was mediocre.

My GotY is a tough call. Some of my favorites include The Stanley Parable, while short is amazing. Tomb Raider (2013) was easily my favorite action/adventure. Starbound my favorite Indie in a year with a number of great ones. Payday 2 is one of my top played of the year and an amazing mp/co-op. I haven't enjoyed a hack & slash/beat 'em up in ages but DMC is a blast. All in all it's been a pretty damn good year for gaming.

1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Dec 27, 2013, 14:15 Fion

Starbound Indie of the Year 2013. They gotta be happy about that. It is indeed a great game even at this early stage. Something about it I find it even better than Terraria (though with far less content at this point).  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
5. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 8, 2013, 17:14 Fion

Certainly beta. "Extremely short on content' hasn't stopped me and my friends from logging about 20 hours since the 3rd. We haven't even taken on the first boss yet! Just exploring the first few planets, gearing up to iron/silver and enjoying the hell out of the dungeons. So far we've found a prison that was tough as nails but fun, and a sewer dungeon complete with mud monsters and poisonous sewage water lol.

I'm looking forward to the big patch, even if wipes all our chars and progress. 10 levels instead of 100 makes me think 'dumbed down' but that's just the MMO player in me. They aren't actually changing content any.

One of the biggest features I want in the game is the ability to add personal logs, to name planets and life forms so that I can see my actual influence on my servers galaxy.

Game is a hell of a lot of fun and already there's plenty enough reason to spend hours and hours exploring every planet you go to. This early in the beta I cannot imagine what kind of stuff is yet to come.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2013, 17:19.

News Comments > South Park: The Stick of Truth Trailer
1. Re: South Park: The Stick of Truth Trailer Dec 8, 2013, 17:08 Fion

Console tutorial on screen. :/

Still, looking forward to it. To any one who caught the end of the Black Friday trilogy, it was hilarious how they ended talking about how video games have ruined kids imagination and then went on to pimp their own title and even lambaste their own lack of a release date.

"Screw video games dude, who needs 'em? Fuck 'em!'

News Comments > Thief and The Witcher 3 Trailers
4. Re: Thief and The Witcher 3 Trailers Dec 8, 2013, 17:04 Fion

I own Witcher 2 (got it in a bundle I believe) but have yet to play it. I never finished the first and have wanted to but it's some ways down the backlog. I'm sure I'll get to them during the 'dry season' after new years.  

News Comments > The Division Engine Trailer
6. Re: The Division Engine Trailer Dec 8, 2013, 16:59 Fion

The engine is indeed quite nice and the game seems pretty cool. Got a bunch of buds all looking forward to this one for co-op.

No Man's Sky does look pretty damned impression Half Elf.

News Comments > Elijah Wood Joins Broken Age
2. Re: Elijah Wood Joins Broken Age Dec 8, 2013, 16:47 Fion

I'm pretty excited about this one, nice to see another talented actor involved.  

News Comments > Game of Thrones Confirmed
7. Re: Game of Thrones Confirmed Dec 8, 2013, 16:42 Fion

Telltale has gotten real good at what they do lately. With the right writing I'm pretty sure this will be awesome. With the success of Walking Dead (Season 2 just around the corner!) and a great start with Wolf Among Us Ep1, I am pretty hyped about this.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 5, 2013, 12:49 Fion

InBlack wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 09:25:
nin wrote on Dec 5, 2013, 08:48:
Cord Cutters And The Death Of TV.

Woot - don't miss "tv" at all. Got rid of that 4-5 years ago...

I wont miss all the reality TV shit. Its all staged for the sheeple anyway. I will miss the blockbuster shows that simply wont get made anymore. Things like "Rome", "Game of Thrones" etc. etc. etc...

Oh blockbuster shows will still be made, they'll just be content on demand. Netflix I believe is at the forefront of this with great shows of their own. HBO is so tethered to the cable system that they are already losing millions to pirates, many of whom would be more than happy to pay for HBO if they could get it without a cable subscription.

I myself am planning on cord cutting sometime this year. With the Steam Box I'll be able to easily stream from my PC to my TV games, videos, etc so I can cord cut and still have netflix, amazon, hulu and watch plenty great TV while drastically cutting back on the 'all or nothing' options Time Warner Cable offers me. I'll have to start pirating HBO, but I think they'll wise up sooner rather than later and let me spend that $10 directly to them instead of via TWC.

As to sports, while I only enjoy Soccer occasionally and little else, a lot of games are broadcast for free via your local channels and as cord cutting becomes more and more prevalent, so will digital options to obtain ESPN, etc.

Cable is an advent of the last century, and while these huge companies are doing everything in their power to slow the advance of on-demand 'anywhere' digital content, that is the future and there is little they can do to stop it in the end.

This comment was edited on Dec 5, 2013, 13:02.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 MMO Migration Campaign
46. Re: Guild Wars 2 MMO Migration Campaign Nov 27, 2013, 16:04 Fion

Now is a great time to get into GW2. Servers are heavy with people, World vs World is awesome atm, the Fractals dungeon just got a big update and a bunch of new dungeons.. which is content you can enjoy from an early level and well past max level.

As to ESO, it is a hot topic atm and while I'm not one to break an NDA. I can say that being in early beta for ESO and early beta for GW2 the difference in quality, attention to detail and general 'care' the devs show for their games is lightyears away from each other. Early beta is early beta and I've seen MMOGs in the past turn a 180 between now and release but rarely have I played an MMOG in any stage of beta that was this rough.

Frankly though I'm so happy with GW2 that I am not really looking forward to any other MMOGs. It's the first MMOG since Star Wars Galaxies (pre-NGE) where I'm not constantly jumping from new MMO to new MMO. Such a nice feeling to find a home.

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 16:12 Fion

WASD became standard because it allows greater access to surrounding keys with ease than say the arrow keys. Some people prefer EDSF but my fingers are just to use to WASD for me to switch heh.  

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 24, 2013, 15:47 Fion

AC: Black Flag is a great game. Once you get past the intro sequence (an hour) you can spend as much time as you want raiding at sea. Eventually though you'll want to come to shore and work on missions as you come across larger targets like Frigates, Convoys, Man-o-Wars and Legendary Ships which will rip you to shreds without some serious upgrades. Thankfully the upgrades require money and resources (and blueprints) you often find by exploring the sea, underwater, various islands for treasure maps, and raiding ships for resources and men. There are ship cosmetic upgrades to customize it in a lot of ways too.

I'd say Black Flag is my 2nd favorite AC game, after AC2 which I loved because Enzio is the best AC char and it was very fun exploring Renaissance Italy in all it's glory and crushing foes with all those medieval weapons. Brotherhood has the same setting and is a strait follow-up to AC2 so that's up there on the list as well.

Batman Origins is solid. It's not as tight as the original two but it's in the same vein and playable. I have no experience with Black List.

Edit: Oh hey with Black Flag I've found one really annoying problem. When you start taking down naval forts - which isn't that hard - they'll open up a Naval Contract that leads to a ship battle. Check online before you accept them because they can be very difficult and if you pick one up you cannot complete you cant do anything else accept load into a city which removes the mission. A 'lot' of people (myself included) accepted Naval Contract 07 without a moderately upgraded ship and were ripped to shreds by the 4 lvl 27 Frigates you have to fight.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2013, 16:17.

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 18, 2013, 02:04 Fion

The problem with X Rebirth isn't bugs.. it's the game itself. This 'review' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxUx96-6-dw&feature=youtu.be is very accurate. It's a shell of a game, a shell of a game. I feel bad for anyone who actually bought it. It's Battleship 3000ad all over again. I half expect steam to open the game up for refunds any day now. Compared to some of the amazing X games of the past, it is a travesty of a game.

This comment was edited on Nov 18, 2013, 02:20.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Gameplay Footage
28. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Gameplay Footage Nov 14, 2013, 21:11 Fion

I gotta say the game is shaping up. I love that it's a sandbox that you can actively affect and change. As awesome as Skyrim is, it's also a very static experience without mods.

It appears that Bioware is putting enough time, money and talent into this this game to help recover their failing reputation. At least thats what I hope. DA1 is perhaps my favorite RPG of all time. Yea it's generic but the combat was tactical and brutal, the lore was bar none the deepest of any original IP from Bioware (even the ME series doesn't match it). DA2 had a slightly more original story but we all know how bad it was as a game otherwise.

Winter 2014? I can wait and I have my fingers crossed there's as much love and talent behind this as DA1.

News Comments > X Rebirth Launch Trailer
37. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 14, 2013, 20:54 Fion

Can't you also build an armada of followers? I don't mind flying just one ship if it's highly upgradable and I can send minions out to trade, mine, fight, etc.  

News Comments > X Rebirth & Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition Preloads
20. Re: X Rebirth & Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition Preloads Nov 13, 2013, 23:30 Fion

Stream usually does Noon pst.  

News Comments > Prominence Trailer
2. Re: Prominence Trailer Nov 13, 2013, 14:57 Fion

Using a modern engine in a point & click adventure game isn't really that new. Essentially every Telltale Game works this way. Though mind they are 3rd person.

I'm fairly intrigued. I enjoyed my fair share of point and click adventures over the years. This could be quite interesting.

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Nov 11, 2013, 17:21 Fion

The first article isn't about # sold or $ made, it's about retailers dressing up and making interesting displays with the game.

As to sales, I'd expect them to be similar here as the UK. But then again #1 on Steam last weak might say otherwise. I hope those plebs enjoy their shitty console port.

3050 Comments. 153 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo