Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3074 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Adam Orth Making a Game - Deal With It
24. Re: Adam Orth Making a Game - Deal With It Feb 11, 2014, 07:16 Fion

Adr1ft.. really?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Space Pirates and Zombies 2 Announced
15. Re: SPAZ? Feb 7, 2014, 16:47 Fion

I never got too far in the original because of the grinding myself either. I hate grinding in MMOGs, so I wasn't about to do it in a single player title lol.

Be nice if SPAZ 2 included steam workshop support.

News Comments > 50 More Steam Greenlights
2. Re: 50 More Steam Greenlights Feb 5, 2014, 20:29 Fion

Queue the next wave of Alpha games that cost $60 and offer 4 features that somehow sell 1.5m copies in 3 days.  

News Comments > More Elder Scrolls Online Beta Invites
10. Re: More Elder Scrolls Online Beta Invites Feb 4, 2014, 23:04 Fion

PropheT wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 22:27:
Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2014, 21:21:
I'm tired of monthly fees from anyone and everything. Seems like everyone has their hand in your pocket and wants to keep it in there month after month. And most of them don't even come close to warranting it.

Not that I disagree with that, because it's sadly true, but I prefer a monthly fee with MMO's. Free to play is far too often just a creative way to ensure that you spend more money on that "free" game than you would if you were paying a sub.

But, yeah. The way everything is monetized now it's just a personal preference of which method sucks the least.

I'm pretty damn sick of monthy fee MMOGs myself, but I can understand why people shy away from F2P. But there are a number of MMOGs that are very solid and F2P, without asking you to buy something every 30 seconds or gating content until you pay. One of the best right now of course is GW2, with it's agressive content schedule I find I am unable to spend money on a monthly fee to spend most my time sitting around in an MMOG waiting for randoms or for my raid to organize. That said, I have spent money in the game, probably about $130 over the last 1.5 years. (Do note that I'd have spent $270 in that time monthly payments) but by putting that choice to spend in my hand I feel that I spent less but I also feel more willing to spend. I have friends who play who haven't spent a wink over the $60 the box cost.

The recent trend, ala ESO, is monthly fee's with tuns of microtransactions. Asking me to buy something every 30 seconds AND charging me each month? GTFO!

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jan 31, 2014, 12:31 Fion

The only Youtuber critics I ever really trust are Totalbiscuit and Angry Joe because they are both more than willing to bash the fuck out of a game they think deserve it, and more often than not they are AAA releases like BF4.  

News Comments > SOE Boss: Next Game "Dedicated" to Star Wars Galaxies Fans
18. Re: SOE Boss: Next Game Jan 26, 2014, 20:55 Fion

It obviously won't be a Star Wars game because they lost that license and I doubt they'd get it back. However, a sandbox MMOG with open play with a wide variety of things to do, and the best crafting of any MMOG. If they could bring that back with modern MMOG mechanics, I'd certainly be very interested.  

News Comments > Dungeonforge Kickstarter
4. Re: Dungeonforge Kickstarter Jan 25, 2014, 12:59 Fion

I haven't heard of Divinity Original Sin, I'll certainly check it out.

As to Dileverance, it does look amazing. Open world RPG mixed with Mount & Blade Warband? Take my money!

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2014, 13:14.

News Comments > Dungeonforge Kickstarter
1. Re: Dungeonforge Kickstarter Jan 25, 2014, 11:26 Fion

As someone who spent years with Neverwinter Nights - and to a lesser extent it's sequel - this is rather appealing to me. The editing tools looks fast, easy to use with lots of options. Steam Workshop support promises to bring in a community of content creators to ever-expand the content and possibilities. I'd like to see their scripting system but I'd imagine it's fairly simple c++ based scripts like a lot of these types of games use.

This is on my watch list, most certainly.

News Comments > Thief Previews; Videos
4. Re: Thief Previews; Videos Jan 24, 2014, 19:42 Fion

It looks solid, though I hope the PC version has a FoV setting, because that's entirely to tight for me taste. And can I get an option to turn off the constant alert to press 'x' key to use? Every game is doing that these days and it is extremely immersion breaking.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
23. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 24, 2014, 11:49 Fion

Creston wrote on Jan 24, 2014, 10:19:
1) Because it's $100 cheaper.
2) Because it runs equivalent games far better.
3) Because it doesn't have a built-in NSA FapCam.
4) Because it's not sold by Microsoft.
5) Because it's available in a lot more countries.

6) Because over the last 2-3 years the Sony has been consistently releasing better exclusives, often being new IPs.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer
7. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer Jan 23, 2014, 20:03 Fion

Graphics aren't good? I thought for pre-alpha they are pretty solid, especially the named orcs. The system of randomized enemies is interesting, but how far would it go is hard to say. I also don't mind if it's 'assassins creed: mordor' because 1/2 the assassin creed games are awesome.

Monolith has made some fantastic games in the past, can they do it again?

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer
1. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer Jan 23, 2014, 18:01 Fion

Please don't suck, please don't suck.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 23, 2014, 11:42 Fion

That piece of glass cost 450k? What a waste!

Does it need said again? Don't buy Alienware.. you just pay a premium for them to put the cheapest hardware they can find in a cool looking case. You're essentially paying an extra grand for that cool case.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online and Thief Each Rated "M"
19. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online and Thief Each Rated Jan 23, 2014, 11:37 Fion

I have two problems with P2P MMOGs. First of all the fact that they tend to lose players hand over fist toward the end of the first month as players ask themselves 'is this worth paying continuously for it'? And almost every single time the answer is no.

The other thing I hate about P2P MMOGs is they are designed for everything to take as long as possible. Crafting is slow, exploring is hard because of slow run speeds early on, Raids take 2 hours to get into and another 4 hours to finish and you need to run them four dozen times to get the loot you want.

I guess that's why GW2 is the first MMOG I've played consistently since SWG and Anarchy Online before that. My WoW days were a love/hat mix where I spent a few months on, six months off, repeat for 4 years. With GW2 I can spend an hour in the game, do something I haven't done previously and feel like I actually did something instead of wait around in town for most of that hour.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 21, 2014, 19:39 Fion

On a side note, don't buy Alienware. You pay a premium for the cheapest parts they can find.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Updated
16. Re: Guild Wars 2 Updated Jan 21, 2014, 13:06 Fion

Patch up! Lets go kick Scarlets ass people!

Scotty if your having trouble with ranger, try out different weapons. Like all classes, the different weapons can radically change up how the profession plays. Also try out different pets.

My ranger (lvl 28) uses shortbow & 2h sword. I like using a Devourer with my shortbow because their specialty is a ranged bleed which combos well with the showbow autoattack Crossfire and #4 skill Crippling Shot which bleeds & cripples and makes your pets next 3 attacks inflict Bleeding. Used together I can quickly get 10 stacks of bleed along with cripple, poison, etc. I tend to use pet buffing utility skills like the Signet of the Wild, Signet of the Hunt and Battle Roar.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Updated
7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Updated Jan 21, 2014, 12:06 Fion

Engineer along with Elementalist are the two most difficult professions in the game (with sub-80 Mesmer being a close 3rd). A good player is handy and often gets into dungeons, WvW, etc but there aren't that many good Engi's or Eles. That said they are both very fun.

Necromancers 'can' be played by just watching your minions and backing them up but they are also really good at burst dps and condition builds, which I personally find quite fun.

Mesmers are as I've said, one of the toughest professions to play at lower levels but once they come into their own, they rival the Elementalist for pure fun.

Can't wait for the patch, looks like it's gonna be an awesome one.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: HBO Jan 17, 2014, 11:07 Fion

I'm planning on getting a low-key Steam Box for streaming from PC to TV. I'd get HBO but I don't have cable and the company that serves my area (TWC) doesn't offer HBO with their most basic package. So I guess I'll continue to pirate it until HBO wakes up and realize how many customers they are losing without a pay subscription of their own. I know, it isn't that simple. But if they want to stay ahead of the movement toward streaming, that is causing companies like TWC to lose subscribers hand over first, they need to get with the times.  

News Comments > WoW to Add Level-up Purchases
15. Re: WoW to Add Level-up Purchases Jan 17, 2014, 10:59 Fion

The first expansion was actually the best in my opinion, though it's somewhat flawed, I left some time after Northrend.

I do have, if I remember right, a whole bunch of chars not at level cap so this would probably excite me. That is if it weren't for that niggling detail that I play GW2 and get a bunch of generally very well done content every other week for free and that woke me up to realizing that spending $15 a month to sit in queues and still having to pay for most of the new content was simply a bad choice on my part.
No MMOG will ever rope me into that again, which is why my hype for the next series of MMOGs that charge a monthly fee (even though I'm in beta for both) is remarkably low.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Update Next Week
3. Re: Guild Wars 2 Update Next Week Jan 15, 2014, 12:12 Fion

I don't know when you last played Verno, but the necro has seen some pretty big improvements over the last half year or so. And yea, the content hits so fast that if you take a few months away (which I absolutely have during the summer and then again around the holidays as all the new games hit), it can feel like you've missed a lot. But it's rather refreshing compared to a few P2P MMOGs I could mention that feel they barely advance at all between expansion releases.

I'm pretty hyped for this next patch, and the conclusion of Scarlet's arc. Gonna be epic.

3074 Comments. 154 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo