Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3100 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 13, 2014, 17:02 Fion

Game of thrones 7 seasons? That seems unlikely. Since book 3 is split between 2 seasons (with some of book 4 in this upcoming season), they'll likely want to condense book 4 and 5 into one (since for those that don't know, each book only delt with half of the characters), but condensing 2 1000+ page books into 12 episodes? That means a huge volume of condensed content.

This also means that the show will very rapidly catch up to the books. One more year to hit the end of book 5 (and the 5th season) and then a single year to get book 7 out, which I expect is going to be a massive novel, as there are an insane amount of stories to tie up neatly.

Their only other option really is to wait. Martin normally takes 4-6 years per book. It took 20 years to make the first 5 of 7. I'd expect book 6 to hit in the next 2 odd years. Now readers are reluctantly patient to get their hands on book 6 and then 7 (likely to hit around 2020). But TV watchers expect serialized seasons that come out yearly.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2014, 17:07.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Mar 13, 2014, 16:47 Fion

He had to tell Parker and Stone.

"I've got to tell you guys," he said when they sat down the next morning, "my wife was watching me last night play this and the word she used was 'atrocious'."

Their response was unanimous.

"Yeah!"

That's what South Park does, that's what Parker and Stone do - cross the line. Urquhart's wife's exclamation was exactly the validation they crave.

Haha, I'm glad Matt & Tray had so much involvement. It would have turned to shit otherwise. As it stands today it's one of the better games I've played in the last few years, even with the loads of button mashing and the 'more-than-a-few' bugs I've found.

News Comments > WildStar in June
13. Re: WildStar in June Mar 12, 2014, 19:48 Fion

It's very much a WoW clone in its content, but thats the norm. It's well polished, the combat is fairly fast, but simplistic and extremely easy. Largely because the telegraph process puts a big red marker on the ground that lasts for 2-3 seconds before a mob actually attacks, even at mid-lvl (I got into the 30s).

My one complaint is that I found the Architect stuff to be extremely disappointing, though the housing system is quite well done. The game style is pretty solid and it's quite humorous. If you're looking for a WoW replacement with a near identical content format but more modern styles of combat, it's the game for you.

I won't be buying it. I guess I'm to spoiled by GW2, I simply cannot go back to kill/fetch/fedex quest hub gameplay with a monthly fee. The combat isn't as skill oriented either, which is one of the main reasons I enjoy GW2 and have so many hundreds of hours spent largely playing WvW.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Titanfall; First Patch Released
49. Re: Ships Ahoy - Titanfall; First Patch Released Mar 11, 2014, 15:45 Fion

I found the open beta to be pretty 'meh' myself. As an old mechwarrior fan the total lack of customization and simplicity of combat in the Mechs is a huge turn off to me. Everyone just uses the one that gathers and throws back bullets. Combine that with the handful of tiny, uninspired maps and terrible AI on the bots you cannot turn off. This is bargain bin material for me. I'd frankly much prefer to just reinstall BF4, a startlingly better game in my mind.  

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
7. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Mar 10, 2014, 17:51 Fion

Stick of Truth is an awesome game. I've had so much fun with it.

GW2 sells surprisingly well in Europe, more so than the US. The European servers also tend to dominate in WvW, which kinda makes me glad the US servers don't fight the Euro servers.

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: Morning Previews Mar 10, 2014, 10:03 Fion

I still haven't finished Witcher 1, let alone 2. I'm trying but it's an older title with lots of little quirks. I'm half tempted to just watch a video summary and move on to Witcher 2.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 9, 2014, 16:52 Fion

92 sounds about right, I freaking love the game. I finished the main quest about 20 hours in and have several things left to do. I've only found about 1/2 the chimpokoman(?), not remotely all the gear (I think a lot is class specific) and I still have a few of the main characters quests to complete, like stan's sister.

The quick time events I really don't mind, largely because they are contextual and your ability to do them can have a major impact in a fight.

The thing with the fart tutorials is, as someone aluded to below, they show that you should mash A and D, but you just move one until the waves are real tight and then press the other button. It still takes a few tries to get it right but only the final fart requires this during actual use. The first 3 are just 'click and go'.

I can't wait to go through the game again with a new class. Rogue is amazingly fun but I hear great things about the Jew class.

News Comments > THIEF Patch & Tips
5. Re: THIEF Patch & Tips Mar 9, 2014, 16:45 Fion

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Mar 9, 2014, 12:56:
probably the most irritating being the necessity to mash a button to pry open windows.

Worst design decision in a game in ages. It wouldn't be that big a problem if the game didn't have you opening a window every 3 minutes. But to put the positive with the negative I do like that the game offers and option to turn off the pop-ups that say what to do when you need to activate something. That alone has been a blight on my immersion for so many years now. I hope more games follow what Thief has done and just let me turn that shit off.

I've quite enjoyed thief. It's no Dishonored but it's solid. That said it's been completely surpassed by South Park - Stick of Truth, which has dominated my gaming time this week. Stick of Truth is the most twisted, freaking amazing, gag inducing game I've played in ages. It too has lots of button mashing but it's at least contextual.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer
5. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Trailer Mar 6, 2014, 18:22 Fion

Come on Bioware I want to be a fan again, I want to look forward to one of your games without being utterly disappointed within a few hours.

Semi-open world design, exploring the rich landscapes and intricate lore of the world of Thedas. Frostbite 3 engine is a + (I am so sick of UE3!) Do I dare hope Bioware can deliver on a worthy sequel to my favorite RPG ever? I hope.. upon hope.

Anyway back to Stick of Truth. Too damn fun!

News Comments > Morning Previews
2. Re: Morning Previews Mar 6, 2014, 15:41 Fion

I've tried a weekend beta or two. Meh. Since finding GW2 a year and a half ago I really have had little interest in upcoming MMORPGs, save the still-distant World of Darkness MMOG. I'll give it a whirl when it goes F2P but I won't be buying it.  

News Comments > Watch Dogs in May; New Trailer
20. Re: Watch Dogs in May; New Trailer Mar 6, 2014, 15:37 Fion

xXBatmanXx wrote on Mar 6, 2014, 14:59:
E. Going with point 3, did this go from true sandbox to rail driven story?

I think you mean open world? Sandbox is a game were you create your own content, ala Minecraft.

To answer the question; It's an Ubisoft game. So it'll be a bit of a combination of the two, just like the AC series. Very much open world but also with a linear story to go through as well.

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
75. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Mar 4, 2014, 21:48 Fion

Yea it's a hell of a lot more fun than it was at launch. I was lucky enough to get a very nice Mirrorball on my mage, an item that causes Magic Missile to split into 3 bolts at full damage each. So I'm building my character around maximizing that spell and using arcane magic and man is it fun.  

News Comments > Dishonored II at E3?
4. Re: Dishonored II at E3? Mar 3, 2014, 18:08 Fion

SHWEEET!

Thief is enjoyable, if with some issues. But it's no dishonored. I'd like to see this at the end of the year I also hope they take their time making it as top shelf as the original.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
7. Re: Saturday Metaverse Mar 1, 2014, 15:35 Fion

"The Federal Communications Commission is considering whether to approve Comcast's $45 billion purchase of its smaller rival."

lmao... rival? Hardly.

Doesn't matter who comes out saying it's a bad deal for America. Every one of us knows that 2-5 years after agreeing to it, everyone who had a vote at the FCC will 'retire' to cushy 7 figure payoffs jobs at Comcast.

News Comments > Game Reviews
3. Re: Game Reviews Feb 26, 2014, 15:01 Fion

I find thief pretty enjoyable. Is it as good as The Dark Project? No, but it's worth the $33 I payed.

That said, it's no Dishonored. What a dynamite game that was. I cannot wait to see what the studio does next.. hopefully a sequel lol.

News Comments > Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Preorder Bonuses
14. Re: Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Preorder Bonuses Feb 25, 2014, 18:18 Fion

So a retexture on an item already in beta and a character for a game that's probably 2 years from release for an extra $20? No thank you.

For the record Loot 2.0 is really quite well done. It's still not quite to par with D2 + LoD loot system, but it is a dramatic improvement. The expansion is quite good. The story isn't all that awesome and it's only about 3 hours long, but Adventure Mode makes it worth it.

News Comments > Diablo III Expansion & Patch Testing Ending
3. Re: Diablo III Expansion & Patch Testing Ending Feb 24, 2014, 19:57 Fion

Thankfully 2.01 condenses the crafting mats. Lets mats, more stacks, very nice.

And yea, like in a WoW expansion, you'll be replacing most of your gear inside an hour lol.

News Comments > Diablo III Expansion & Patch Testing Ending
1. Re: Diablo III Expansion & Patch Testing Ending Feb 24, 2014, 17:58 Fion

Hope 2.01 hits this week. I want to play with some friends who don't want to get on the PTR to do it. 2.01 is easily best patch since launch and Reaper of Souls adds a lot of new content, though the story only 2-3 hours long  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 24, 2014, 12:53 Fion

Wow that was pretty fast. Just weeks after Net Neutrality goes down. I would have thought they would have bided their time before fucking over Netflix (and their own subscribers) since the FCC is watching closely.  

News Comments > THIEF Reviews
15. Re: THIEF Reviews Feb 24, 2014, 12:49 Fion

Pre-release reviews almost always slant toward the good side. 71% is pretty bad for pre-release reviews IMHO. I think I'll wait to see what TotalBiscuit or Angry Joe have to say about the game before I consider picking it up.  

3100 Comments. 155 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo