Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3118 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Endless Legend Early Access
6. Re: Endless Legend Early Access Apr 25, 2014, 15:22 Fion

I really dislike this 'pay for alpha access' trend. I've bought into a few betas in my time, but only on a game with real promise. Minecraft being one of them.

It just seems that every week there is a new 'hot' alpha title everyone is paying $30-60 for and the week later, it's all but dead. Are my fellow gamers so capricious? Or have so much money burning a hole in their pockets they can pay near-full-price for a game with hardly any content only to forget it existed mere weeks later?

Starbound is a prime example. It was HUGE in that first week or two but very rapidly lost players, at this moment it's like 70th for players on Steam. A game that appeared to be content rich but is actually incredibly shallow (but wide) in terms of gameplay. It 'is' beta, and there is a lot of work ahead, but does anyone really expect the game to somehow pick up that same momentum at final release? Releasing so early may have helped the Developers have the money to finish it but it's going to be a blip on the radar when it hits final release as a $60 game unless improvements and additional content are large enough that everyone doesn't just automatically think 'I've already played this, why do I care now?'

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2014, 15:31.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Watch Dogs Multiplayer Video
12. Re: Watch Dogs Multiplayer Video Apr 23, 2014, 21:52 Fion

Quite looking forward to this. May is a month rife with big releases, so money is gonna get tight. But frankly it's been a very dead winter game-wise (save Diablo 3 expansion, which is pretty awesome). So I'm looking forward to having to many games to chose from again.

As to vehicles, why is it the best GTA games in terms of vehicle handling was GTA3 in the 90s? How is it that newer and newer tech and game engines have only degraded the car handling and quality? The little I've played of GTA 5, the vehicles are terrible.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 23, 2014, 15:43 Fion

Supreme court has a history of disagreeing with oral arguments and then voting the other way.

Sadly, with this extreme corporation/unlimited money in politics court, Aero could be proved legal by every court in the world and the Supreme Court is still going to 5/4 kill it. Even if it is nothing more than a rent (as opposed to own) antenna with personal-cloud DVR.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 23, 2014, 15:35 Fion

Our productivity is so high because the idea of the American Dream; Work hard and you can be reasonably successful, even at lower income, has twisted into to 'work hard until the nerves, mental illness and lack of sleep kills you cause you just might make it big one day!'  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2014, 21:40 Fion

A beautiful day on the upper east coast for a family gathering indeed.

The Patric Stewart & Ian McKellen video is hilarious! I like how more than once they agree that the other was right!

News Comments > Evolve Teaser
2. Re: Evolve Teaser Apr 19, 2014, 15:59 Fion

Kind of reminds me of an old Quake 2 mod. The title escapes me atm but it was co-op vs. one player who played a giant robot with rocket boots and massive weapons. The goal was to kill who ever was playing the robot because you would then become the robot. The longer you stayed as the robot the more powerful you became. The game had a set time limit and after that the winner was who ever got the most play time as the giant robot. It came with it's own 'future city' map which had a lot of verticality to it. Me and my friends had a blast playing it as one of the 'cooldown' mods between more serious battles in 3WaveCTF, Rocket Arena or Lithium2 (my favorite mod ever).

Ah Quake 2, my all time favorite multiplayer shooter now and forever.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack
32. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 22:18 Fion

MMOG players are the 3rd most entitled people in the world. What are the other two?

2: Older White Men
1: Teenagers

22. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 16:53 Fion

I don't think I agree with the trait push-back being a bad thing. After all one of the biggest complaints I hear is 'there's nothing to achieve after you unlock all your skills and traits'. Well.. now there is.

Though I do think the levels at which you unlock them now is wonky. Right now it's 1 every 6 levels starting at 30 and 2 every 6 levels after lvl 66. That is convoluted and a lot of people won't understand when they get traits and why. It should have been 1 every 5 levels starting at 20 and 2 at level 80. It's still 14 traits total and much.. much more simple to figure out.

19. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 16:37 Fion

FYI guys, in the previous systems Overflow wasn't server specific. When you entered an overflow you entered a zone populated with people from many different servers at once. Next time your in an overflow in a zone that doesn't have the new system implemented, ask what server everyone is from. You'll see.

And Marvin, MMOG forums are notoriously negative because it's a vocal minority that ever visits them. Most the people I've talked about it in game today (my guild and non-guild friends) the complaints are few and far between. EU servers having multiple languages in chat is HARDLY a new thing in MMOGs.

16. Re: Guild Wars 2 Feature Pack Apr 16, 2014, 16:25 Fion

Creston the only thing you're missing here in the Megaserver system is that, yes you could end up in just another empty 'overflow' but the new system prioritizes your placement, to help automatically put you in zones were your guild or friends are. That, along with mid-lvl zones being more populated as server populations seamlessly merge is a huge boon to the game's lower-pop servers and multi-server guilds. The only real concern I have with the system is how it may impact server identity in WvW. But the new system is being rolled out slowly, atm only working in starter zones.

Oh and wtf_man, there are now a great many alternatives to leveling in the game at high level. I have barely touched Orr in months, and then it was only to get the Temple reward skins (which are beautiful). I don't even wear them any more lol.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 2014, 16:35.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2014, 20:48 Fion

Man I was really looking forward to the eclipse tonight. Unfortunately, as with most of the east-coast, it's overcast and 25 degrees outside here in Upstate NY.  

News Comments > World of Darkness Cancelled
13. Re: World of Darkness Cancelled Apr 14, 2014, 15:51 Fion

All CCP ever did for White Wolf was fuck them over. 5 years in indeed, WW isn't even writing for their own RPG games anymore. Though on the flipside, the people who do at Onyx Path have done an outstanding job of carrying on the torch. Everything they've produced so far has been golden. God Machine Chronicle has some serious innovation and a bizarre, exciting and terrifying concept to explore. Same with the V:tR update, it's very much a mix of new and old with amazing concepts to help push character development and RP to the next level and Demon: the Descent is an incredible new line. Not to mention all the amazing WoD20 lines that have come out and are coming out in the future. Or the 3rd edition of Exalted which is going to kill!

I agree with Cutter, a new cRPG with co-op that let players create their own persistent games would have been a much better jumping off point, though I'd have much preferred V:tR myself.

This comment was edited on Apr 14, 2014, 16:00.

News Comments > Sid Meierís Civilization: Beyond Earth Details
4. Re: Sid Meierís Civilization: Beyond Earth Details Apr 13, 2014, 16:25 Fion

Why not Civ V? With expansions, Civ V is one of the best games ever made.  

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Apr 7, 2014, 15:58 Fion

Diablo 3 Gem Guide

Use green gems in your weapons.

That is all.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 7, 2014, 15:37 Fion

As a cord cutter my only option for HBO is Torrents, at least until they wake up and start offering HBOgo as a monthly service like amazon or netflix. I know it'll happen eventually as all TV is turning toward that route. Just wish it's sooner rather than later.

Awesome episode too. I agree the casting for Oberyn Martell was perfect. The dragon scene was spine-chillingly awesome. Drogon is huge, I cannot wait to see him at near full size in the future. Great start to season 4. Next episode I'm sure we'll catch up to the others, save for Stannis Baratheon (no spoilers but he isn't seen for a short time in the book).

I know a lot of folks don't like the recasting of Daario Naharis but I frankly thought the old guy just wasn't quite right from the get go, so this new actor may grow on me. Though he looks a bit to Westerosi (IE, western European).

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 2014, 15:52.

News Comments > The Amazing Spiderman 2 Villains Trailer
1. Re: The Amazing Spiderman 2 Villains Trailer Apr 7, 2014, 15:22 Fion

I certainly would like an awesome open world, city-swinging spiderman game.

I somehow doubt this is it. :/

News Comments > Full Watch Dogs System Specs
26. Re: Full Watch Dogs System Specs Apr 6, 2014, 22:32 Fion

Ubi open world games are indeed full of pointless collectibles, but I avoid that crap. I've very much enjoyed (most of the) AC games, and I just don't even bother with the 'jump through hoops' pointless collectibles.

Quite looking forward to the game.

News Comments > Diablo III XP Bonus
1. Re: Diablo III XP Bonus Apr 4, 2014, 19:11 Fion

Sweet, just enough to get my DH over the hump to 70. That is if I can get my PC which has decided to flake out on me is actually in working order. :/  

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Apr 3, 2014, 23:04 Fion

The old cast from the original trilogy will very likely not have a big part. I suspect they will act as the send off party for the new cast.

An open world star wars rpg? Dare we dream?

News Comments > Daylight Delayed for Scariness
10. Re: Daylight Delayed for Scariness Apr 3, 2014, 17:11 Fion

Just ordered myself a EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked, which includes this game for free. I'm looking forward to it.  

3118 Comments. 156 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo