Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3131 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V PC Transfers Clarified; Specs Next Week
9. Re: Grand Theft Auto V PC Transfers Clarified; Specs Next Week Dec 17, 2014, 22:17 Fion

Why is it the only GTA games to do good handling were GTA 3 and Vice City? Since then it's gotten progressively worse, though I hear 5 has better handling than 4, it still isn't very good.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Age Inquisition Free & Paid DLC
13. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Free & Paid DLC Dec 17, 2014, 17:21 Fion

There are a few zones where you need to get someone far away without a waypoint/camp anywhere near it. Mounts are useful there but only when you want to get there fast, which isn't often.

35 hours in Robdot? You have yet to even begin.

News Comments > Dragon Age Inquisition Free & Paid DLC
6. Re: Dragon Age Inquisition Free & Paid DLC Dec 17, 2014, 12:17 Fion

I'm so disappointed that the only Halla mount is from the Deluxe Ed of the game. That said, I only mount up on rare occasions anyway (mostly when I want to get to a spot in a zone at a distance but still only half-way between two camps/waypoints... and I'm in a hurry.)

I hear the Dragon Skull throne is pretty awesome though so I may just plop down $10 for that alone lol.

These Flame of the Inquisitory weapons, what level range are they? The Dragon weapons are nice because you unlock Tier 2 and 3 versions through gameplay. That so for the FotI stuff? Or is it like end-game gear?

Hey Bioware, your next free DLC I'd like to see a transmutation system build into the crafting system. Pay some gold to apply a skin I already have to a new weapon or armor. The warden named armors, I.E. 'In Piece, Vigilance', 'In War, Victory' and IMHO the best looking armor in the game 'In Death, Sacrifice' are so awesome but dramatically outstripped by late-game crafted. I wish I could apply that skin to the later-game stuff. :/

This comment was edited on Dec 17, 2014, 12:22.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 10, 2014, 14:29 Fion

This doesn't mean that getting HBO 'without' a cable subscription is not going to happen, it means that they won't be creating their own platform to provide the service.

To be honest, HBO Go has sucked since the day it launched. Memory leaks are just one problem. It took months for them to release a version when major new releases of Android came out. Certain devices would have issues (such as Nexus 7 & 10) that were simply never fixed. It was a terrible app and the website only worked 1/2 the time.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow
48. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 13:27 Fion

David wrote on Dec 8, 2014, 13:12:
I find the combat in DA extremely unsatisfying. No matter what class or how powerful the spell or ability or weapon I'm using, it just feels ridiculous at level 20 to still have to hit enemies (even relatively weak ones) over and over and over again before they go down.

Turn down the difficulty perhaps? Or find some 'class specs' that are floating around on reddit and other websites. My late-teens archer can 1-to-3-shot a (mild spoiler) red templar using an Assassin Archery build that takes advantage of poisons and distance to the target. This first play-through is on Normal dif.

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow
46. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition PC Patch Tomorrow Dec 8, 2014, 13:15 Fion

I'm quite sure that RPG romances are very popular. There are plenty of people who avoid them but when they are done right (as they are here) they immerse you into the character you are playing give meaning to the NPCs you surround your character with. It really isn't about the 'sex' in an RPG, it's about the romance and the tension, the connection and emotion shared. It's about the immersion.

I've personally enjoyed that aspect but don't always indulge it. Sometimes I make the odd choices just to see what happens. I primarily played FemShep through Mass Effect with a long term relationship with Liara. In later replays I've romanced nobody, or Tali, in one I romanced Garrus and while there was no cutscene (didn't bother me) it was a very interesting experience and certainly immersive.

As to the whole 'token gay' thing, DA:I does better than most and specifically Dorian seems lauded as extremely realistic representation of a gay character.

On the original topic, the only zone to do the 'mindless MMO fetch/kill/fedex' quests is the first open zone, Hinterlands. I personally think Bioware did that because you return to Hinterlands quite frequently throughout the game to gather herbs and quickly build Inquisition Points. It's the 'hub' of the early game so to speak and other open zones have far less generic quests besides maybe the 'shards' stuff but they have a use.

And on a personal note: I very much enjoyed Forbidden Oasis because I'm an explorer archetype and I loved finding my way to every nook, cave and peak of that area.

This comment was edited on Dec 8, 2014, 13:21.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer
2. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Trailer Dec 7, 2014, 12:46 Fion

I've enjoyed the Arkham series, especially when they center around the Joker. Mark Hamill's Joker is just so awesome it made up for the fact that 1/2 the games content has always been puzzles and trophy gathering that was gated beyond unlocking a gadget or side-character to backtrack through the game and get access to meaningless crap.

But the last one wasn't very appealing and now that Shadow of Mordor has markedly improved on the Arkham combat formula, I'm just not sure about the appeal. I mean frankly, the only thing about Batman I really enjoy is Hamill's joker.

And yes, a batmobile with chain guns & rockets? Great job at taking something nostalgic and making it just another video game mechanic. Guess there weren't enough giant slow-motion explosions.

News Comments > Game Awards 2014 Winners
4. Re: Game Awards 2014 Winners Dec 6, 2014, 11:04 Fion

Best Online Game: Destiny

WTF?

News Comments > Game Awards 2014 Winners
2. Re: Game Awards 2014 Winners Dec 6, 2014, 10:52 Fion

Glad GTA 5 didn't get 'GotY' as I was anticipating. Dragon Age: Inquisition certainly is in the top running, through Dark Souls 2 is a close 2nd for me at least. Best shooter Shadow of Mordor was by far the best action/adventure of the year IMHO. Glad to see South Park: Stick of Truth got one, that game is one of the most disgustingly brilliant games of the year.

Ninjas in Pajamas were freaking awesome this year.

edit: Oh and Wolf Among Us should have won best narrative.

News Comments > London-based Assassin's Creed: Victory Next Year
13. Re: London-based Assassin's Creed: Victory Next Year Dec 2, 2014, 23:40 Fion

Not all AS games suck or are bad ports. Sure most of the better ones are older, when they had one dev group working on each game instead of spreading it so thin and giving so little time to each group to each game. AS2 & Brotherhood stand out. Black Flag is quite fun but also extremely formulaic but it's sea-faring niche makes it worth the sale price.

I'm hoping it doesn't suck because Victorian England sounds like a fun place to assassinate bad-guys in.

This comment was edited on Dec 3, 2014, 00:08.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity DLC
3. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity DLC Nov 29, 2014, 12:12 Fion

Season Passes never include all the DLC when it's Ubisoft at the wheel.  

News Comments > Thanksgiving Consolidation
2. Re: Thanksgiving Consolidation Nov 27, 2014, 21:05 Fion

So glad I avoided the latest Assassin's Creed. I had a creeping suspicion it was gonna suck from the words 'Ubisoft announces...'  

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
11. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Nov 24, 2014, 16:34 Fion

How is it that EA is basically the only big-time publisher to release a game this year that wasn't a pile of crap?  

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
6. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Nov 24, 2014, 10:58 Fion

DA:I can get a little over-whelming and thankfully the '5'000 kill/fetch/fedex' quest syndrome in the Hinterlands doesn't extend beyond that afaik. Not that there aren't some worth-while quests in the Hinterlands. The Carta missions for one are multi-stage and has an interesting story. That zone is so beautiful with all kinds of amazing things to find and see.

They could have done without the requisition quests. There's no lack of 'points' you can get as it is and damnit I need every scrap of Elfroot I can get!

Which reminds me? Anyone know the best place to farm Elfroot?

I love the idea of the war table, it's so deep the options varied, a number of active quests tie into it and the choices to be made impact future events.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 24, 2014, 10:47 Fion

They do realize that 'rape' is gamer slang for obliterating ones opponent.

There comes a point where all this fear of internet threats shit goes too far. Was it crude of him to use the word when talking about an opponent who happens to be female?

Yes.

Does that mean he means to ACTUALLY rape her?

Fuck no! Any gamer should see that tweet and recognize it as a crass attempt to jab at his potential opponent. He's being punished for being a dillweed.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
18. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 22, 2014, 14:26 Fion

Tip for everyone playing DA:I, don't grind through the Hinterlands. Yes I knew there is content that is level 12 you cannot complete yet and 3 dozen minor fetch quests you want done because your a completionist. The main quest gives you a level range at the war-table, do them at that level range. If you have enough points to go to a new zone, go there.

Hint: Nearly every zone has content you cannot do the first time you go there (especially at higher difficulty). Play around, go exploring other zones this game has gorgeous zones that, if your an explorer archetype are amazing to get into. The Forbidden Oasis is a freaking maze but I loved it because it had so many nooks & crannies to explore and ways to get onto the highest peaks that aren't readily visible.

Once you do this, then come back and take on that dragon when you're more level appropriate!

Now if only they'd release a companion DLC with a Mabari Warhound. The only Mabari in this game are wild and aggressive. I don't want to kill no handsome war-dogs. Maybe a DLC that has a quest to gather various items from multiple zones to take to an area with wild Mabari and use the items to both get its attention and have it bond itself to your character.

I just miss my Brutus!

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 21, 2014, 12:44 Fion

Personally I prefer that they are zones. Loading up a new zone means that zone can have its own art assets, color palette, textures, etc. The truly open world games generally have to settle on one specific style with little true variation because without a true loading screen the game cannot dump the texture memory from your video card, or on occasion simply does so much more slowly. It's why you start getting crashes when you set ugrids too high in Skyrim.

It's for this reason that the 'zones' in DA:I are incredibly diverse. Besides it loads pretty fast on a SSD.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18, 2014, 12:43 Fion

I stayed up for a few hours last night and played, 40m of that was in character creation alone. I got past the tutorial and into the first step of the campaign. There's a LOT I don't quite get so I'm gonna play through the tutorial again if I can now that my eyes aren't blurry with tiredness.

I'm on a 3570k, EVGTA 770 Superclocked, 8g DDR1600 and I had to do a bit of tweaking as well. Performance was fine but I was getting some lag during cutscenes and hangup before they started.

The only DLC I want is one that adds a Mabari War Hound to the companion list. I miss ya Brutus!

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds
6. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds Nov 15, 2014, 13:05 Fion

Nice to see them fixing a handful of things but what I've seen of the game it needs way... way more than this.

And wait a second, the characters name is Arno Dorian? WTF! Your in revolutionary France and you went with 'Arno'? Considering the games history in choosing names that assert their setting, i.e. Ezio Audiotre, ALtair Ibn-La'Ahad, Ratonhnhake:ton, Haytham 'Edward' Kenway, etc. Arno sounds about as 18th century french as 'Kevin'.

News Comments > Warlords of Draenor DDoSed
23. Re: Warlords of Draenor DDoSed Nov 14, 2014, 20:08 Fion

Icewind wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 19:01:

Angry Joe? He's the one you trust? What are you, 12?

As far as Youtube nobodies go, I'd trust Total Biscuit long before I'd trust a console-centric poser like AJ.

Wait so Angry Joe is an untrustworthy youtube critic because he plays some games on console? Seriously? He plays just as many on PC and generally if a game is available cross-platform he plays it on PC most of the time unless it's a game like Dark Souls that simply doesn't work as good on PC.

I trust his reviews because he is painfully direct and honest about the stuff he plays. Like TB he has no qualms about ripping a game a new asshole if he thinks it deserves it and he rarely lets hype dictate his style.

Oh yea, and he's funny. When he truly gets pissed off at EA or Ubisoft its hilarious.

3131 Comments. 157 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo