Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3197 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 30, 2015, 16:46 Fion

It's kind of hilarious watching the first real console MMO deal with classic MMO problems... and the console players bitch and moan about the game while they pump 30 hours a week into it.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Microsoft Health and Band Updates Bring New Cycling App Integrations, Insights and Features. Apr 24, 2015, 12:38 Fion

I may have the 2nd worse cable company in the US as my broadband provider, but at least it isn't going to combine with the 1st.

I'm so glad the FCC is standing up to this shit these days. Now if only we could get the government to break these non-competing companies up or force competition onto them in some way. The new 25 down/5 up min for 'cable' is nice to see but frankly that's still WAY behind what the rest of the world offers, for 1/3rd the price-tag.

News Comments > Skyrim Free Weekend
19. Re: Skyrim Free Weekend Apr 24, 2015, 12:26 Fion

According to Broduel, a fairly famed (within the community) youtuber who does mod reviews, 25% goes to the mod maker and the remaining 75% is split between Steam & Bethesda. I've also heard that the mod maker doesn't make a red cent until at least $100 is made from their mod(s).

I'm all for modder's getting a return for something they invested time and energy in. But on steam they aren't gonna get shit. For those really serious about modding, it's a great jumping off point for getting in the industry. Hell dozens of great Skyrim modders have already made that transition and continue to make great mods in their own free time.

My biggest qualm is none of these mods seem particularly keen. $5 for Midas Magic Gold? That gets you 10 new spells over the free versions 100-odd fun but completely unbalanced new spells. Your better off using Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim and it's companion enchanting mod to get hundreds of (mostly) well balanced new spells, magic staff crafting, hundreds of new and interesting enchantments that change up gameplay and it's all 100% free.

The REAL problem with this system is that almost every major mod these days integrates or relies on another. 80% of all mods in the last year requires SkyUI because it integrates the mods customization menu into the SkyUI mod interface. That's the largest example but almost every mod is built upon the back of previous ones. What about the thousands of mods that require SKSE (a scripting framework)? Or nearly every single mod that uses Fore's New Idles to add custom animations? So who gets what money when a new mod requires or is built upon others? When mods are free you can just thank those mod authors or ask permission and easily get it. It's a collaborative environment, mod making. But when money becomes involved it's a potential legal mess.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 2015, 12:52.

News Comments > Telltale Marvel Game Plans
3. Re: Telltale Marvel Game Plans Apr 24, 2015, 12:12 Fion

This is awesome news. Two years isn't that long and a lot of these Marvel IP's have big enough brand recognition that I don't think it really matters who hero(es) it features.

Either way, I'm sure it'll be awesome fun.

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto V Maxed Settings Video
20. Re: Grand Theft Auto V Maxed Settings Video Apr 20, 2015, 12:31 Fion

I've found I can successfully push the settings up to 2.5g (on my 2g GTX770 Superclocked) without any problems, glitches or slow downs. The video card runs a little hotter than I'd like at about 75c, not that hot I realize but few games push it past 60c.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer
26. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer Apr 11, 2015, 01:37 Fion

EVGA GTX770 Superclocked 2gig SLI  

News Comments > The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer
13. Re: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer Apr 10, 2015, 22:04 Fion

I really need to finish Witcher 2. I'm in the middle act Act 2 so shouldn't be hard to get through it before this comes out. There's just been a lot of great games this spring, and GTA V is sure to take a lot of my time starting on Tuesday. I'm sure I'll pick this up though, if not when it initially hits.

Great trailer though.

Is it 1358 yet?

No.

Than fuck off!

I'm so befriending that vamp if I get the chance.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
16. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 7, 2015, 15:34 Fion

Could have sworn I heard the Ipad killed itself.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 6, 2015, 12:45 Fion

Aliens are Enormous

I'm not sure how the scientist came to that conclusion, the article must have missed something. If most planets are likely to have a larger predominance of smaller animals because of the law of conservation... why exactly would aliens be huge? If most planets have smaller animals, wouldn't most intelligent life also be small?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2015, 10:52 Fion

What you couldn't open the gates to Manstovia when it was 75 degrees out last week Blue? Had to wait for a chilly, rainy day?

Happy Easter folks.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity Patch to Fix Stats
22. Re: Pillars of Eternity Patch to Fix Stats Apr 1, 2015, 15:30 Fion

I'm still enjoying the hell out of it. It's no P:oE to be sure but it's solid. Glad to hear some fixes are coming cause the game certainly needs them. I'd also like to see them adjust the base stats on some of the companions. IMHO most of them have the worst possible choices they could have made on them. I get it, it makes them a little more realistic or RP based, but when your game is combat, combat and more combat you need a party with solid statistical makeup.

As to the cities, I'm glad they are there, but they need improvement. In a game like this I need an RP hub to explore and interact with to intersperse between the long hours of combat and exploration. Especially on harder difficulty I need that down time. I think they did a bang up job on that first town, but the first city (I'm in Chap 2) the load times are long even on a current gem SSD, so I feel for you folks still on an HD.

Another Obsidian hit though. They've been on the ball lately between this and SP: Stick of Truth.

Edit: Someone mentioned NPC AI. I closely watch my NPCs, when I block off a corridor I direct every move they make. One issue that arises is when I go to cast a friendly spell and click in a party members portrait. The game doesn't support this for some reason, it's a feature in every other game of its type. When your in a mass of two dozen little pixel chars on screen it can be a bitch to target the right one. Add to this that the wizard spells have oddly low range. The Cypher can slam a target from across the screen but the wizard has to be 5 yards away for his spells to work most the time.

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 2015, 15:43.

News Comments > Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin Pricing & Specs
10. Re: Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin Pricing & Specs Mar 28, 2015, 14:31 Fion

The update isn't just improved graphics. They revamped some areas, bosses, the difficulty, etc. Anyone looking for an example there are youtube videos, most taking place in Heidi's Tower of Flame which adds new encounters such as a dragon guarding the Cathedral of Blue, an update to the Old Dragonslayer boss in the zone and the addition of several Heidi Knights to the area. I personally probably won't buy it, I've had my fill of DS2. For now.

And for the record Bloodborne is in no way harder than Dark Souls 2, let alone the original DS. Most the enemies are easily avoidable, the game gives you so many health potions your bank fills up with them. There aren't nearly as much variety in gear and thus animation sets and you don't loose health when you die. From everyone I know who's played (including myself) we feel it is dramatically dumbed down.

That doesn't mean its a bad game. It's still a FROM game, so it has amazing environments, interesting bosses that take a while to beat and to figure out the right strategy, a punishing combat system that - no matter how much easier in the long run - punishes mistakes and lazy play. It's also a long game at about 26 hours played for me, which considering most console releases your lucky to get half that, was a pleasant surprise.

News Comments > WoW Tokens Near
10. Re: WoW Tokens Near Mar 24, 2015, 16:33 Fion

WoW - the only MMOG I know where people are willing to pay $180 a year to basically sit around in the cities because there hasn't been a content patch released in that time that isn't gated behind a pay-wall.

I was once one of these people. Now I play GW2 and get new story-driven content every two weeks and, oh yea... without paying a dime for any of it. I'll never Pay 2 Play an MMO ever again, let alone one that only releases content via a $60 expansion and little else.

News Comments > Cities: Skylines Soars
63. Re: Cities: Skylines Soars Mar 14, 2015, 14:52 Fion

Rattlehead wrote on Mar 14, 2015, 11:11:
I've been playing for about 20 hours. I love the game however I have a few gripes.

1. You have to dezone to upgrade from low density to high density, not a big deal but still annoying.

2. Not enough building variation, you can easily see the exact same building repeated 20 times in a row. That actually applies to all ploppables.

3. Once again, you can't upgrade from 2 lane roads to 4 way without demolishing buildings.

4. Why do I have to increase my entire healthcare spending just to get more hearses?

5. Not enough specializations in districts. I want a gambling district, a silicon valley district, a chinatown, etc.

6. Sim City had building modules, I wish this game did too. It's boring to build another identical elementary school instead of upgrading.

Overall, a great game, I can see it going strong with continued support. Not quite the variation of Sim City but it's from a 9 man team.

Legit issues that I feel either the developers will address or modders will. There's already some fantastic mods out there and the game just hit a few days ago. There's already a tun of new houses and buildings on the workshop and you can very easily create your own.

News Comments > Neverwinter: Elemental Evil Delayed
11. Re: Neverwinter: Elemental Evil Delayed Mar 14, 2015, 13:37 Fion

The 'expansion' (which does apparently include a new class and a raise on the level cap) coincides with the release of the D&D 5e adventure path Elemental Evil. Kind of cool if you ask me that they work with the makers of D&D to create content that runs along side the Pen & Paper game.

Not that I'm saying the game is good, or that I play it lol. Just kinda cool that they do that.

News Comments > Starship Ahoy - Sid Meier's Starships
6. Re: Starship Ahoy - Sid Meier's Starships Mar 13, 2015, 13:01 Fion

I'm having far to much fun in Cities: Skylines to pick this up yet. It's the best 'Simcity' type experience I've had in years and the $30 price tag is icing on the cake.

FYI South Park: Stick of Truth is just a buck (US) on Steam this weekend. If your a fan of the series, or enjoy a light-weight RPG, this game is a must. It's the most debauched, hilarious and just bat shit crazy game I think I've ever played, with surprisingly good gameplay. It even hit a few top 10 lists for this year!

News Comments > BlizzCon 2015 Announced
3. Re: BlizzCon 2015 Announced Mar 13, 2015, 13:00 Fion

I can never understand why you would pay $200 + price gouged hotel prices to play what you are already playing at home, or watch competitions that are readily available on Twitch, or get the first look at new expansion trailers that will be on Youtube 20 minutes later.  

News Comments > BAFTA Winners
8. Re: BAFTA Winners Mar 13, 2015, 12:30 Fion

Consoles how do you expected to get out of the mire of shit your currently dealing with game wise if you keep honoring shit games like Destiny?

I would have given the 'Story' category to This War of Mine, which has an amazing, dynamic narrative that was based almost entirely on player actions.

And why yet another Dark Souls 2 snub? It's the type of game you either hate or love but there's no denying its continued popularity, it's fantastic and inexpensive DLC. It was my GotY because it was so punishing and required every ounce of focus and timing I could muster. In a world of games that continue to get easier and easier, it was an awesome challenge that continues to not even get nominated on a lot of these lists. Easily the biggest snub of the year in my mind.

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 2015, 12:44.

News Comments > Terraria: Otherworld Tower Defense Elements Revealed
6. Re: Terraria: Otherworld Tower Defense Elements Revealed Mar 11, 2015, 14:57 Fion

Very much looking forward to this.

To add my own thoughts, Starbound has promise. Early on the game suffered from really poor combat mechanics but they've been working hard to turn that around. Lets remember that technically the game isn't in full release yet.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 10, 2015, 14:09 Fion

That's apple for ya.

50% of the features and performance for 150% the price of the competition. Or in this case 1500% the price.

3197 Comments. 160 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo