Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3120 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Thanksgiving Consolidation
2. Re: Thanksgiving Consolidation Nov 27, 2014, 21:05 Fion

So glad I avoided the latest Assassin's Creed. I had a creeping suspicion it was gonna suck from the words 'Ubisoft announces...'  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
11. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Nov 24, 2014, 16:34 Fion

How is it that EA is basically the only big-time publisher to release a game this year that wasn't a pile of crap?  

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
6. Re: U.K. Sales Charts Nov 24, 2014, 10:58 Fion

DA:I can get a little over-whelming and thankfully the '5'000 kill/fetch/fedex' quest syndrome in the Hinterlands doesn't extend beyond that afaik. Not that there aren't some worth-while quests in the Hinterlands. The Carta missions for one are multi-stage and has an interesting story. That zone is so beautiful with all kinds of amazing things to find and see.

They could have done without the requisition quests. There's no lack of 'points' you can get as it is and damnit I need every scrap of Elfroot I can get!

Which reminds me? Anyone know the best place to farm Elfroot?

I love the idea of the war table, it's so deep the options varied, a number of active quests tie into it and the choices to be made impact future events.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 24, 2014, 10:47 Fion

They do realize that 'rape' is gamer slang for obliterating ones opponent.

There comes a point where all this fear of internet threats shit goes too far. Was it crude of him to use the word when talking about an opponent who happens to be female?

Yes.

Does that mean he means to ACTUALLY rape her?

Fuck no! Any gamer should see that tweet and recognize it as a crass attempt to jab at his potential opponent. He's being punished for being a dillweed.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
18. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 22, 2014, 14:26 Fion

Tip for everyone playing DA:I, don't grind through the Hinterlands. Yes I knew there is content that is level 12 you cannot complete yet and 3 dozen minor fetch quests you want done because your a completionist. The main quest gives you a level range at the war-table, do them at that level range. If you have enough points to go to a new zone, go there.

Hint: Nearly every zone has content you cannot do the first time you go there (especially at higher difficulty). Play around, go exploring other zones this game has gorgeous zones that, if your an explorer archetype are amazing to get into. The Forbidden Oasis is a freaking maze but I loved it because it had so many nooks & crannies to explore and ways to get onto the highest peaks that aren't readily visible.

Once you do this, then come back and take on that dragon when you're more level appropriate!

Now if only they'd release a companion DLC with a Mabari Warhound. The only Mabari in this game are wild and aggressive. I don't want to kill no handsome war-dogs. Maybe a DLC that has a quest to gather various items from multiple zones to take to an area with wild Mabari and use the items to both get its attention and have it bond itself to your character.

I just miss my Brutus!

News Comments > Morning Interviews
2. Re: Morning Interviews Nov 21, 2014, 12:44 Fion

Personally I prefer that they are zones. Loading up a new zone means that zone can have its own art assets, color palette, textures, etc. The truly open world games generally have to settle on one specific style with little true variation because without a true loading screen the game cannot dump the texture memory from your video card, or on occasion simply does so much more slowly. It's why you start getting crashes when you set ugrids too high in Skyrim.

It's for this reason that the 'zones' in DA:I are incredibly diverse. Besides it loads pretty fast on a SSD.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age: Inquisition
9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Dragon Age Inquisition Nov 18, 2014, 12:43 Fion

I stayed up for a few hours last night and played, 40m of that was in character creation alone. I got past the tutorial and into the first step of the campaign. There's a LOT I don't quite get so I'm gonna play through the tutorial again if I can now that my eyes aren't blurry with tiredness.

I'm on a 3570k, EVGTA 770 Superclocked, 8g DDR1600 and I had to do a bit of tweaking as well. Performance was fine but I was getting some lag during cutscenes and hangup before they started.

The only DLC I want is one that adds a Mabari War Hound to the companion list. I miss ya Brutus!

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds
6. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Patch and Workarounds Nov 15, 2014, 13:05 Fion

Nice to see them fixing a handful of things but what I've seen of the game it needs way... way more than this.

And wait a second, the characters name is Arno Dorian? WTF! Your in revolutionary France and you went with 'Arno'? Considering the games history in choosing names that assert their setting, i.e. Ezio Audiotre, ALtair Ibn-La'Ahad, Ratonhnhake:ton, Haytham 'Edward' Kenway, etc. Arno sounds about as 18th century french as 'Kevin'.

News Comments > Warlords of Draenor DDoSed
23. Re: Warlords of Draenor DDoSed Nov 14, 2014, 20:08 Fion

Icewind wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 19:01:

Angry Joe? He's the one you trust? What are you, 12?

As far as Youtube nobodies go, I'd trust Total Biscuit long before I'd trust a console-centric poser like AJ.

Wait so Angry Joe is an untrustworthy youtube critic because he plays some games on console? Seriously? He plays just as many on PC and generally if a game is available cross-platform he plays it on PC most of the time unless it's a game like Dark Souls that simply doesn't work as good on PC.

I trust his reviews because he is painfully direct and honest about the stuff he plays. Like TB he has no qualms about ripping a game a new asshole if he thinks it deserves it and he rarely lets hype dictate his style.

Oh yea, and he's funny. When he truly gets pissed off at EA or Ubisoft its hilarious.

News Comments > Grass Simulator Early Access
15. Re: Grass Simulator Early Access Nov 14, 2014, 18:45 Fion

You'd think a game called Grass Simulator would have more impressive grass fx. Star Wars Galaxies had better grass than this and it came out in 2003.  

News Comments > Warlords of Draenor DDoSed
16. Re: Warlords of Draenor DDoSed Nov 14, 2014, 18:40 Fion

I don't know why but I thought DA Inquisition was coming out in like january or february. So when I got that GMG e-mail this morning with my key I was very much surprised. Cant wait, early impressions from sources I trust - like Angry Joe - say it's quite well done.

As an added bonus this gives me something to think about instead of Farcry 4 because I've been on the edge of pre-ordering that with a 33% off code I got from GMG, but with Ubi's track record this year I'm pretty unsure. Now at least I can wait until reviews hit before buying it, or wait a month or two since Inquisition is likely to take up quite a bit of my gaming time.

On topic, whats with all the game DDoS attacks lately? Do these people think they are cool because they know how to do this (extremely) simple thing? Douchebags.

Not that I play WoW, I haven't for years but I get just as pissed when GW2 or Diablo 3 (two games I play a lot of these days) get DDoS'ed so I feel for the WoW fans.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Unity Dead Bug Live Blog
2. Re: Assassin's Creed Unity Dead Bug Live Blog Nov 13, 2014, 10:25 Fion

Yea I watched that TB 'review' last night and he certainly kicked the living hell out of the game. It's why we trust the guy to tell us if a game is worth purchase. I had a sneaking suspicion this game wasn't going to be that great, mostly in part because they've done nothing but tank so far this year. (Please don't fuck up FC4 guys, or Division!)

The first time I watched the game on twitch I could tell it was broken, a soldier fell through a wall in an attempt to get to the main character, who got stuck on an NPC. When they did a little parkour it looks a bit more fluid but also a bit nonsensical, for example performing a simple 'leap' up animation that thrust the assassin 25 feet diagonally. Clearly not syncing up properly.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Unity
14. Re: Ships Ahoy - Assassin's Creed Unity Nov 11, 2014, 10:59 Fion

I've had a sneaking suspicion this sequel would be a blatent cash-grab and knowing Ubi's record lately, I'm avoiding it. At least until I see some reviews.

Still if I'm gonna grab a game this month it'll be Far Cry 4, almost certainly.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Nov 9, 2014, 12:41 Fion

In Starcraft news, Life defeated MMA in the finals.. two players who were never expected to make the final Round of 8. In a Best of 7 setup on some unexpected map choices Life (one of my favs) went on to beat MMA 4/1 in 5 simply astonishing games.

If you missed them, you can find all the games on youtube under 'WCS Global Finals Life vs. MMA'

If you are hungry for more, check the semi-final best of 5 games 'WCS Global Finals Life vs. Taeja' to see the 16th seed player at the global finals (Life) vs. the #1 ranked Terran player in the world (Taeja) in 3 astonishing games!

News Comments > Making History: The Great War Scenario & Demo
1. Re: Making History: The Great War Scenario & Demo Nov 9, 2014, 12:28 Fion

For anyone wanting to know more about the Great War, I highly recommend Extra Credit's 4-part youtube series on the subject. It will awe you and bring a tear to your eye.

http://tinyurl.com/mht34zt

News Comments > Ubisoft Titles Return to Steam
6. Re: Ubisoft Titles Return to Steam Nov 7, 2014, 19:57 Fion

Heh Ubi bluffed and Steam bit.  

News Comments > X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com?
52. Re: X-Wing & TIE Fighter on GOG.com? Oct 28, 2014, 11:56 Fion

Tie Fighter remains one of my top 3 favorite games of all time. I fondly remember me and all my buddies sitting around my 486 dog fighting until the early hours of the morning.

For those who can't see themselves playing an Imperial,

*spoiler*

the main bad guy isn't a Rebel.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released
33. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released Oct 24, 2014, 18:00 Fion

Just as with Civ5 war is most likely to happen on smaller maps where the nations have to via for resources and land. I always enjoyed playing the Europe mod because it was so cramped war was going on everywhere haha.  

18. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released Oct 24, 2014, 14:42 Fion

Jamil20 wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 14:37:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 24, 2014, 14:19:
What you are really saying is that Brian Reynolds was the reason Alpha Centauri was what it was, one of the best 4x games ever made.

Actually, I've never really played Alpha Centauri. I'm just referring to X-Com. One of the few games I bought for full price in a long time, fueled by nostalgia. I had almost instant buyer's remorse when I finally witnessed how on-rails the game was, which is nothing like the original. A lot of people enjoyed it, but I found the game had zero replay value, because you ultimately don't make any choices in the game.

Have you heard about the Long War mod? It's the most popular XCom: EU/EW mod that ups the difficulty, choices and really puts that classic feel into the game. I suggest you check it out.

16. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Released Oct 24, 2014, 14:36 Fion

I've only played about an hour and was confused during most of it. Launched a satellite I found while exploring with absolutely no idea what it does. I'm going to enjoy learning all the new tricks and how to maximize these new resources.

For those saying it's dumbed down, let us remember that Civ V was considered pretty heavily dumbed down itself and had mediocre reviews out the gate. It wasn't until BNW that the game was considered 'great'.

About factions, I'd say its too early to see if they have any over-arching personality or goals. They are an a disadvantage because they aren't based on real world historical people (who had personalities and notoriety) and thus we aren't going to create our own idea of what their personality is like. A lot of the 'personality' of the civs in V is what we - the players - put into them.

As to an SDK, I'm sure one is in the works as there's a 'mods' selection menu and I'm sure at least one group is already prepping an Alpha Centauri mod.

3120 Comments. 156 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo