Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
User Settings
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:
Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:
Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3287 (Veteran)
User ID 17499
User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Nov 21, 2015, 14:31 Fion
Amazon doesn't have as many viewers because they haven't IMHO made anything really great yet. I've watched a few of their TV shows. Transparent is solid, Hand of God I could live without, Red Oaks is kind of a fun throwback but not great either.

Compare that to HBO's fantastic lineup and Netflix hitting it out of the park this year with their latest; Jessica Jones getting great reviews.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report
News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 19, 2015, 14:12 Fion
Those Magic Erasers used to be much more chemical based until they changed them after a lot of reports of chemical burns. I remember my sister having a pretty major one on her arm after trying to 'erase' some post-cleaning grime on her arm.

I agree with cutter, cleaning with a few simple ingredients is far better and safer for the health of everyone living at your home. You'd be surprised how many popular cleaning supplies can lead to pet health issues. As he said, even simple vinegar can be used to clean so many things!
News Comments > Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources
28. Re: Green Man Gaming Defends Key Sources Nov 17, 2015, 14:21 Fion
I've only ever once had a problem with a GMG key, it was with the notorious Witcher 3 debacle. I e-mailed them that I wanted a refund and was buying off another source. They refunded me that day and gave me a 40% off 'anything' code that was valid for a few months.  
News Comments > Leaked Fallout 4 Footage
19. Re: Leaked Fallout 4 Footage Nov 2, 2015, 12:48 Fion
The patient isn't doing so well Doc.

I'm gonna need another 20 cc's of FoV, a 2k texture drip and a PC HUD work-up STAT!

In all seriousness the graphics are greatly improved, this is the Xbox One version at 720p compressed video. It's gonna look much better in person and still a significant improvement over FO3. Besides that, this is Bethesda's Creation Engine, not one known for bleeding edged graphics. They clearly prefer aesthetics over shear fidelity.

No virus detection with Antivir here.
News Comments > Paradox Interactive Acquires White Wolf
16. Re: Paradox Interactive Acquires White Wolf Oct 29, 2015, 14:45 Fion
This is good news certainly. White Wolf's World of Darkness (new and classic) are fantastic and largely untapped worlds chock full of RPG goodness.

I just have one major worry here. CCP has licensed the White Wolf RPG line & Exalted to a a company called Onyx Path Publishing which is made up of many talented White Wolf writers and new free-lance talent. Now that White Wolf isn't owned by the same company I worry that Paradox has other plans in mind. This would sadden a lot of people as Onyx Path has been knocking the WoD out of the park with extremely successful reboots of classic WoD such as Vampire: the Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition, Werewolf: the Apocalypse 20th, etc. They've as well as updating the (new) World of Darkness to a 2nd edition that has been selling like hotcakes & getting rave reviews with titles like Werewolf: the Forsaken - the Idigam Chronicle which took the underwhelming first edition Werewolf :tF and turned it into one of their best selling titles to date that hit Platinum Best Seller on DriveThruRPG in < a week.

In terms of what this could mean for the future of White Wolf video games, the future is bright. I'd personally love to see a game based on new WoD that incorporated several lines.. vamps, were's, changelings, demons, etc that let people get together and run their own persistent servers!

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2015, 15:05.
News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Gameplay Video
1. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Gameplay Video Oct 21, 2015, 13:01 Fion
Rainbow Six going back to its roots? One could only hope.  
News Comments > Sword Coast Legends Launches
24. Re: Sword Coast Legends Launches Oct 20, 2015, 16:00 Fion
Nothing wrong with an ARPG, but D&D is not an ARPG. I hate when companies say they are going to make a D&D game and what we get is a Diablo clone that only resembles D&D in the name of the classes & powers.

The success of isometric classic CRPG's of late should have been an indicator that they could have gone a more serious route, implemented 5th edition D&D with NWN or BG style real-time turn based combat, who's core systems are as close to actual 5th Edition D&D as possible. But I should have known better considering this companies track record.
News Comments > Minecraft: Story Mode Begins
8. Re: Minecraft: Story Mode Begins Oct 14, 2015, 14:43 Fion
I'm still waiting for Wolf Among Us S2! Where the hell is it TTG???  
News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 9, 2015, 13:51 Fion
That's the biggest part of I agree leadhead, to add many of their best 'exclusive' titles since releasing have been remasters doesn't help the situation and the abysmal quality and selection of launch titles did nothing to help.

This candid response is nice to see but it hasn't stopped Mr. Spencer from hiking prices, making deals with studios to limit their games graphics and functionality so they don't look/run/play any better on other hardware. There was a time when a new console generation out-paced PC hardware, usually for a quarter or more. Those days are long gone.

As a predominantly PC gamer I had hoped the new console generation would have at least approached the PC in terms of hardware and capability but once again my preferred platform is held back by such deals and even the PS4's underwelming hardware.

On the upside, PC games are now outselling both platforms for everything but sports games and big yearly franchises like CoD. Companies are turning to the PC to push gaming to the next level, and that's fine with me.
News Comments > Star Citizen Ship Explosion Trailer
39. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Oct 9, 2015, 13:29 Fion
CythrawL wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 12:55:
Its all well and good, but what happens when you have that kind of stuff going on with like 10 ships battling it out?

Nice and pretty when its 1 ship, but when multiple are on screen blowing up... I can see it being a slideshow for sure..

Hence why they never showed that... or explosions of ships going at high speed..

And I thought the giant battles in Eve were a slideshow. This is just one ship and while it's a beautiful explosion with just the one ship and a mostly empty background (sans a few low-poly asteroids) on their demo hardware the fps drop to ~10 by the looks of it. You get two dozen big ships and smaller fighters all fighting and blowing up and you'll get lucky to get .01 FPS on anything less than stellar hardware.

This comment was edited on Oct 9, 2015, 13:37.
News Comments > Morning Interviews
19. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 1, 2015, 14:02 Fion
Yea.. that's a problem. 'Top level movie cast' tend to make terrible voice actors. It's an entirely different style of acting that requires an entirely different set of skills.

Want an example? Patrick Stewart as the king in Oblivion's introduction sequence. Great actor, not so hot voice actor. Sure he got the whole puissant, holier-than-thou king vibe down great, but he read his lines like a stage actor giving a monologue. That's of course because he is a stage actor more than anything else but the two forms of acting tend to be mutually exclusive.
News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Sep 29, 2015, 14:11 Fion
Haha the funny thing is he has no idea that the e-sports gamers at the top of their field are virtual rock stars in Asia (and have ever-growing popularity in the west) worth millions of dollars and are surrounded by young, beautiful women.  
News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Trailer & Details
2. Re: Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Trailer & Details Sep 26, 2015, 14:03 Fion
Squee! That trailer!

As someone who mains a sylvari I cant wait. During last beta weekend I learned that sylvari can hear Mordremoth give commands to his mordrem servants. The sylvari were intended to serve mordremoth but their mother tree was lucky enough to have a tablet of wisdom at her roots and so as she gained sentience she taught her seedlings - her sylvari - about wisdom, justice and freedom. Now that the dragon is awake however, some sylvari are 'hearing the call' and joining him.
News Comments > Ships Ahoy - SOMA
8. Re: Ships Ahoy - SOMA Sep 22, 2015, 13:54 Fion
One of my favorite Let's Play youtubers got access to it a day or two before hand and I've been watching. It's more of a 'mind fuck' if you pardon the phrase than Amnesia: DD and absolutely terrifying practically from the get go. It absolutely does have a System Shock vibe to it but it's a horror/adventure, not an RPG.

As to sneaking vs. running, there seems a good mix of both. Perhaps I approached the game differently but I snuck around a LOT in Dark Descent, it was the best way to avoid the 'monsters' than just plowing through and hoping for the best.
News Comments > Mirror's Edge Catalyst Trailer
2. Re: Mirror's Edge Catalyst Trailer Sep 19, 2015, 15:14 Fion
By all that is holy let there be a FOV slider!  
News Comments > DARK SOULS III in April
2. Re: DARK SOULS III in April Sep 17, 2015, 13:49 Fion
Looks awesome. DS2 was my GotY last year. Looks like DS3 might be my GotY next year.  
News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 16, 2015, 12:40 Fion
I don't get the hoopla around this 'offline viewing'. I mean how many mobile devices out there aren't connected to the internet? Is there that big a percentage of homes without a home network?  
News Comments > Laborious Mobilization
1. Re: Laborious Mobilization Sep 7, 2015, 12:46 Fion
Hey Apple I have an idea on how to get people back to Itunes audio/video from Netflix & Spotify.

It's simple, make iTunes not suck.
News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Core Game Free; Raids Coming
4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Core Game Free; Raids Coming Aug 30, 2015, 13:47 Fion
FYI Korovven, GW2 isn't very much like GW1. I mean it shares the smae history, landmass, lore. But basically everything else is different lol.

I personally probably won't be participating in raiding. I don't have the time to invest in it, I rarely do dungeons in the base game and haven't done past like level 20 fractals.
News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns in October
30. Re: Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns in October Aug 30, 2015, 13:45 Fion
Bub wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 10:24:
For a game that touted itself as a new take on MMO's I found the GW2 player community one of the most elitists I have seen in any MMO. If your not decked out in plenty of cash shop financed gear and playing one of three classes, you get insta-kicked from dungeons, and not welcome in fractals. Just trying walk around and mind your own business and get trash talked if your wearing drab gear you just find while leveling, while you have to listen to people brag about all their legendaries etc. I found the GW2 community very toxic. So all of that and the devs love of jumping puzzles, which I find idiotic, drove me away from this game for good.

WTF? I have never once encountered this. Yes 'some' dungeon groups get elitist but that rapidly changed once the dungeon finder too came out. Cash-shop financed gear? There IS no gear in the cash shop. Being trash talked for having mob-dropped gear by random passerby's? I've never before heard the complaint. GW2 community (like GW1) has always been about having such a vast variety of gear 'skins' that you can look however you like.

Perhaps you got unlucky and chose a server with a particularly nasty brunch of dungeon running elitists. Elitism happens in many games, not just MMOGs but can be pervasive. But the number of elitists in GW2 is far outweighed by the number of helpful, friendly and fun loving players, oft recognized as the most friendly community in the genre. I've been playing since beta and have never once heard these complaints (accept the dungeon elitism, which again is largely a thing of the past) and I by no means have the most amazing characters out there gear-wise.
3287 Comments. 165 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News logo