Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3085 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Oct 1, 2014, 13:19 Fion

It's click-bait, I didn't even read it.

wait...

Damn you Cutter and your bedeviling influence!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Oct 1, 2014, 13:12 Fion

This guys a moron who clearly hasn't tried the Rift. 3d is largely a gimmick that when done well can really enhance a movie but isn't done well 95% of the time.

I think the Rift and it's potential competition could absolutely have mass market or at least multi-market appeal. I mean yea obviously it's going to be a gaming tech first but it's potential is huge. As Lucky Palmer has said himself there are dozens of fields that could see real use of the Rift.

Saying it will never see the market potential of the Iphone is short sighted. 20 years ago the mobile phone was the size of a brick. If someone showed that off to you, it was pretty cool but 'obviously' without any mass market appeal. 20 years of technological advancement we have the smartphone of today. Similarly the Rift is in it's technological infancy with a future a decade or two from now we cannot truly fathom. It's market potential right now is low but with additional competition driving innovation it lead to a product used by billions.

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 2014, 13:18.

News Comments > Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer
12. Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth Trailer Oct 1, 2014, 13:08 Fion

Firaxis has said time and time again that this is not a spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri. And it looks similar to Civ 5 because it's entirely based upon it. Why build an entirely new game mechanically when you have the most successful in your series history right in front of you.

I think as the game is played it will become more and more its own game. I'm happy to see there are some Civ V expansion goodies in there from the get-go, like trade routs.

I've already pre-ordered this, Borderlands Pre-Sequel and Witcher 3. I genenerally try to avoid succumbing to hype (has saved me hundreds this year so far!) and only pre-order from companies I trust, who have a consistent record of hits.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Sep 30, 2014, 14:06 Fion

I feel bad for those few still playing WoW (comparatively to its heyday). Guy did a shite job on Diablo 3, we all know what a crapfest that game was. Thankfully Blizzard pulled that fucktard Wilson off the project and the expansion turned it around with the quickest 180 I've ever seen in gaming. Patch 2.1.0 has only improved things.. sans the 'season' fuck ups.  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released
26. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Released Sep 30, 2014, 13:24 Fion

I'm giving it a day or two before I purchase it. I'm quite keen to play but this game has been so disappointing when it comes to AAA games the only games I have pre-ordered I got for a nice price cut on GMG and from companies I'm willing to bet on.

Been watching twitch for a while, while avoiding story-mission channels. Reviews say the story is nothing special but that's anything but out of the ordinary on a AAA game. I'm wondering how much of the open world experience is meaningless collectibles and Batman-esque backtracking. I figure a couple days is not that big a wait, after all it took a few days before we all learned what a piece of garbage Destiny was. One game I am seriously happy I waited on.

If it ends up disappointing I can at least pin my hopes on Borderlands: Pre-Sequel.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 28, 2014, 14:36 Fion

Nothing is made to last anymore Blue, nothing. Too much money to be made in repair (see Apple) or simply throwing away the broken to be replaced with the new. You think it's an anomaly that everyone's phone tends to start bugging out just a few short months before your contract is up?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 28, 2014, 14:17 Fion

Why is it every week there's a different 'early release' title I've never heard of at or near the top of the list?

These people are like MMO hoppers.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans
53. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans Sep 26, 2014, 18:59 Fion

The day Destructoid gave Witcher 2 - one of the most defining RPGs of our time - a 6/10, is the day I stopped visiting that website and swore off ever trusting their reviews. Most reviews seem to be pretty positive, saying the story isn't that solid (typical action-adventure) but the combat is fun, difficult and the Nemesis system is a really f'ing cool.  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans
31. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Reviews; Hi-Rez Texture Plans Sep 26, 2014, 13:47 Fion

The assassin's-creed style combat is the epitome of 'push a button and something awesome happens'. It's why I've only ever truly enjoyed like 2 AS games, because pressing one button to climb towers or fight waves of baddies has never been that fun. It was always the setting that drew me, which is why AS:Brotherhood will always be my fav. Renaissance Italy is beautifully rendered.

That said, reviews are saying the combat is quite a lot harder and if you get surrounded by Uruks you should flee instead of try and fight them all off. That's good to know.

As to Dark Souls 2 combat, I don't see that fitting a mass appeal that these games have. DS2 has fantastic combat, but it would dramatically slow down the pace of the game and reduce the number of enemies one can face at any time to just a couple.

Quite looking forward to this one. I'm itching for a good game to play, this year has been so berift of quality AAA titles aside from the Telltale titles, Dark Souls 2, Wolfenstein and a few outstanding Indies (most of which I haven't played lol).

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Trailer
1. Re: The Witcher 3 Trailer Sep 25, 2014, 19:16 Fion

Am I the only one who thought in the first 10 or 12 seconds 'Damn, those are good graphics! How did they get the trees that realistic?' Then we see a developer and I realize it's all real.  

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer
11. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Trailer Sep 25, 2014, 12:48 Fion

Come on, break the tide of utterly disappointing AAA releases this year. Please!

If it wasn't for Dark Souls 2, Wolfenstein and Telltale's titles... this would easily be the the worst year for gaming so far.

Oddly enough it's been a great year for Indies on the other hand.

This comment was edited on Sep 25, 2014, 13:03.

News Comments > PC GTA5 First-Person Support?
22. Re: PC GTA5 First-Person Support? Sep 22, 2014, 15:54 Fion

Ah, 1st person would be cool but the series has always been 3rd person so I don't know if I'd even use it.

My largest concern with the game is that the world is to big. Whenever I watched anyone else play they'd have mission objectives half way across the map so everyone ended up using cheats to get helicopters to make the travel shorter because by car it's a 20 minute drive.. real time.

Still, very much looking forward to it.

News Comments > Dark Souls II DLC Delay
3. Re: Dark Souls II DLC Delay Sep 22, 2014, 13:22 Fion

I don't mind, I haven't even started the 2nd' DLC. Everyone tells me it's hard as hell and... I'm afraid.  

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Sep 18, 2014, 11:39 Fion

Not you too PBS!

And WaltC why sully this topic with typical shitty american politics? Aren't we all sick to fucking death of the subject already?

News Comments > Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Trailer & Skill Trees
12. Re: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Trailer & Skill Trees Sep 18, 2014, 11:37 Fion

Looks interesting. I'm atm working on all the DLC I got for BL2 and never finished. There are just so many damn games coming out this fall! The addition of the 'grinder' is a welcome one. I'll certainly be spending a lot of time at the machine trying to get a lucky drop.

If this is basically a full price expansion it does seem to have a lot of new things, new weapon types, damage types, many new enemies, etc. Hopefully the co-op has its own unique maps & missions like BL2 does.

News Comments > The Evil Within TGS Trailer
6. Re: The Evil Within TGS Trailer Sep 17, 2014, 10:50 Fion

I've never heard of PT. My most memorable horror game has got to be Amnesia: the Dark Descent. Clearly took some inspiration from the games mentioned below but a very unique spin, which I think is part of it's success. Machine for Pigs isn't quite as scary but still oozes atmosphere and has great puzzles

I cannot wait for SOMA.

On topic, Evil Within may be solid. I'm personally not a fan of QTE games, I don't think they work well on kb/mouse unless tastefully done or thematic (like Telltale games). I may pick it up at some point but this fall already has a glut of releases both big and small. Some of it is going to have to be put on my wishlist heh.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 15, 2014, 11:07 Fion

The clear winner here is the PC. As usual.  

News Comments > U.K. Sales Charts
2. Re: Destiny and Bungie Sep 15, 2014, 10:56 Fion

I assume your talking about Destiny?

Frankly even if it did come out on PC I doubt I'd buy it. Being a console exclusive has lead to a very console-oriented design. Multiplayer maps are extremely small, PvP is limited to 6v6. Gameplay revolves around grinding for the best guns so you can rock peoples world in PvP with a statistical advantage. A lot of that won't fly as a PC game.

It wouldn't be the first console shooter to come to PC and suck. Hell from the same exact company with Halo. On console it was a revolution that brought the shooter to consoles, intrucing things like team PvP and CtF. Meanwhile on PC it was a pretty generic corridor shooter that was basically the same hallway over and over in every map. Multiplayer was 'meh' thanks to tiny, boring maps and simplistic gameplay modes. Simply put the PC had far better shooters out before and during Halo's heyday.

This comment was edited on Sep 15, 2014, 11:02.

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 14, 2014, 14:12 Fion

It does look extremely fun. I'll almost certainly pick it up but I'm still going to wait a bit. I generally don't like to pre-order unless I really trust a company.. thus why Civ: BE is my only pre-order atm.  

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 14, 2014, 11:35 Fion

I'm very much hyped for DA3. Plenty of vids showing off tactical combat and such. I don't expect it to approach DA1 (my favorite RPG of all time) but hey. As to Shadows of Mordor, I'm reasonably hyped about that. It seems fairly well done, Monolith has on occasion knocked it out of the park. I have a wait and see attitude though, I'm not about to preorder it.

Now Beyond Earth I absolutely have preordered. Cannot wait!

Edit: And yes, BoI: Rebirth looks like it's gonna be crazy fun to co-op.

3085 Comments. 155 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo