Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Harrisburg, PA 09/18
Greenbelt, MD 11/06

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3269 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Core Game Free; Raids Coming
4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Core Game Free; Raids Coming Aug 30, 2015, 13:47 Fion

FYI Korovven, GW2 isn't very much like GW1. I mean it shares the smae history, landmass, lore. But basically everything else is different lol.

I personally probably won't be participating in raiding. I don't have the time to invest in it, I rarely do dungeons in the base game and haven't done past like level 20 fractals.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns in October
30. Re: Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns in October Aug 30, 2015, 13:45 Fion

Bub wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 10:24:
For a game that touted itself as a new take on MMO's I found the GW2 player community one of the most elitists I have seen in any MMO. If your not decked out in plenty of cash shop financed gear and playing one of three classes, you get insta-kicked from dungeons, and not welcome in fractals. Just trying walk around and mind your own business and get trash talked if your wearing drab gear you just find while leveling, while you have to listen to people brag about all their legendaries etc. I found the GW2 community very toxic. So all of that and the devs love of jumping puzzles, which I find idiotic, drove me away from this game for good.

WTF? I have never once encountered this. Yes 'some' dungeon groups get elitist but that rapidly changed once the dungeon finder too came out. Cash-shop financed gear? There IS no gear in the cash shop. Being trash talked for having mob-dropped gear by random passerby's? I've never before heard the complaint. GW2 community (like GW1) has always been about having such a vast variety of gear 'skins' that you can look however you like.

Perhaps you got unlucky and chose a server with a particularly nasty brunch of dungeon running elitists. Elitism happens in many games, not just MMOGs but can be pervasive. But the number of elitists in GW2 is far outweighed by the number of helpful, friendly and fun loving players, oft recognized as the most friendly community in the genre. I've been playing since beta and have never once heard these complaints (accept the dungeon elitism, which again is largely a thing of the past) and I by no means have the most amazing characters out there gear-wise.

28. Re: Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns in October Aug 30, 2015, 13:31 Fion

El Pit wrote on Aug 30, 2015, 03:32:
Well, then they will get 50%/66% of the price back they paid for the game to support it? What, they don't? Well, then GW2 and the people behind it get something from me: my middle finger. For free.

Your assuming wrongly that Arenanet sets the price for their expansion. Lets not forget it's NCSoft that controls such things, just as they take the majority of box sales and gem store purchase $. Arenanet probably had to bend over backwords to get them to do a free-to-play version.

To the guy who bought the 'base' game days ago for $50, I'm not sure I even believe you but if what you state is true, I feel for ya. The free version doesn't include everything, and it has several restrictions but it's still free. Question is where exactly did you buy it... walmart? Best Buy? GW2 hasn't been full priced on most websites for some time. As others have stated it's $15 on green man gaming, and $23 on Amazon. If you aren't just lying, you seemed to have just picked it up at random at some store because if you'd have done even 2 minutes of searching you would have found it way cheaper online.

11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns in October Aug 29, 2015, 20:37 Fion

ColoradoHoudini they did add content to do post level-cap but just not in the traditional sense. There's fractals (random 5 man dungeons with increasing level of difficulty and rewards) which has slowly been expanded that we're expecting to get a big boost with the expansion. There's the 2 seasons of ongoing bi-weekly story updates that started a little rough but have been awesome for the past year+. They heavily revamped one of the dragon fights to make it quite hard-core and rewarding and have in the last several years added hundreds of new gear items go to after, ascended armor and weapons for example.

Note that unlike WoW, there is no ever-increasing stat cap, that is by design. Even ascended gear is only slightly better than the easily attainable Exotic gear. Every single MMO as Jacoby has said, has that issue of running out of unique content to do. GW2 by all means released with too little of it, but that has since changed, greatly. With Heart of Thorns we are getting even more, at an increased difficulty.

I've been playing since beta and there's a lot of stuff I haven't even done. I don't have the time frankly so mawdrey and the like, is well out of each lol. But I'm okay with that, I've been wearing my fervid censer on my Sylvari Elementalist since the day I got it back in early Season 1.

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 2015, 20:43.

News Comments > Mad Max Commercial
5. Re: Mad Max Commercial Aug 24, 2015, 12:31 Fion

siapnar wrote on Aug 24, 2015, 09:55:
Fury Road is a dazzling movie to look at, but yeah, there's not much substance there, which is pretty disappointing...

...It seems that action movies these days just focus on visual flair more than anything else, and get lauded for it.

Modern action movies are about spectacle and it seems like newer generations don't really care about any story in their action movies (or most any other genre for that matter). Fury Road is so heavily lauded for that very reason.

One of the other reasons I didn't like it as much as I'd hoped was even with that R rating there was very little blood accept on the favorable characters because 'they want you to feel for them.' That and the death of the main villain. Still, it's so damn unrealistic to see bad guys get shot in the face only to go flying through the air without even any wounds. It breaks my immersion so significantly. When I saw that R rating I was hopeful that it would be more old school, bloody gunfights and gnarled bodies broken by spinning tires. But no, R rated cause a woman flashes her boob for 3 seconds for fuck sake!

I still got a fair bit of enjoyed Fury Road, even if I found parts immersion breaking, as I said above. I think it is so highly rated because it has a story to tell, even if its paper thin. Compare that to any other summer action flick (that isn't superhero related) and you'll find a story that can easily be contained in a sentence. Look at the expendable films. As exampled, look at John Wick, to name just a few.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 2015, 12:37.

News Comments > Destiny Still Destined for PCs?
31. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Aug 22, 2015, 14:24 Fion

I'd hope that the majority of PC gamer's have given up on any title where the majority of gameplay consists of grinding for gear that lets you grind for better gear.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Berserker Intro
5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Berserker Intro Aug 21, 2015, 13:38 Fion

I'm not a warrior player but the Berserker elite specialization looks like a lot of fun, looking forward to today's Points of Interest to see it live.

Haha bub, I haven't seen that complaint since launch. So I'm going to assume you haven't played since then (if ever).

As an Ele player I didn't mind that it wasn't sword, I think they heavily considered it and decided against it for good reason, Ele is the squishiest class in the game, it really doesn't need another close-quarters weapon. Warhorn gives Ele some really cool possibilities, though the Tempest elite skill is lackluster to say the LEAST.

Staff Thief might be interesting. I've been leveling a Sylvari Thief with the intention to make her corrupt. Longbow or rifle would be sweet too, give them some long-range capabilities they currently lack. If it is staff, I'd love it to be a melee staff like the Revenant.

News Comments > Trine 3 Released
6. Re: Trine 3 Released Aug 21, 2015, 13:29 Fion

I'll put it on my wish-listed. I need to get Trine 2 off my backlog first. :p  

News Comments > World of Warcraft Patch on PTR
2. Re: World of Warcraft Patch on PTR Aug 20, 2015, 13:59 Fion

I haven't played WOW since 2 expansions ago. Basically I finally realized I was paying $180 for 1 content patch a year and spending 90% of my time just sitting on my ass waiting for dungeons or a raid to start and most the other 10% doing the same 30 daily quests over and over. What a massive waste a time and money that game was for me.

Say what you will about GW2 but at least I get content updates multiple times a month (usually), new zones to explore, a cohesive story to play through all without having to pay a red cent unless I choose to do so.

News Comments > The Witcher III Game+ DLC Released
16. Re: The Witcher III Game+ DLC Released Aug 18, 2015, 10:54 Fion

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 17, 2015, 17:50:
Well shit... I had started a new game a month or two ago and apparently forgot to make a manual save of my story finish game, so the autos and checkpoints were overwritten and now I can't do NG+. I'll probably wait a bit longer now, lol, since I'm not quite up to doing another playthrough so that I can do another playthrough yet.

A similar thing happened to me only I did manually save. I found myself dramatically over-level for the Skellige content I was doing on my first game so I made a manual save and started over to try and curb the glut of XP the game gives you for quests, after several weeks the game had over-written my one manual save. I was pissed but eventually finished the game anyway on a higher difficulty with a slightly altered build, so while it was boring playing over the stuff I'd already done (and skipping ALL side-content and still finding myself over-leveled).

I'm pretty eager to try out NG+, mostly because it's been a very slow August with September dripping with potentially awesome games so close yet so far away lol. But hey at least in NG+ I can do the side-content without worrying about level.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2015, 11:00.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2015, 12:51 Fion

I love my toaster oven. It cooks a lot of things as well as and faster than a traditional oven and food tastes better than it would out of a microwave. Hell I don't even toast bread in a toaster anymore because it just tastes better out of a toaster oven.  

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools
16. Re: The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools Aug 14, 2015, 12:43 Fion

Verno wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 12:13:
I outleveled the main quest for a little while but eventually caught up after some events in Novigrad. The only time I ever got too far ahead was when I started filling out my Gwent deck, all of that back and forth has you accruing XP doing various things.

Anyways I hope the mod does come out regardless, it seems to be a common complaint.

In my first play through I did everything I could that was level appropriate. If I was traveling between two areas, instead of using a waypoint I'd walk/ride it and do the PoI's in between. This so over-leveled me that by the time I was finished with the quests in Novigrad and ready to move onto the Level 16 'Destination: Skellige' I was level 28. That was normal mode.

I've since started a second play-through at the 2nd highest difficulty with the intent to ONLY do the main quests in hopes of not over-leveling (and a few side-stuff if I needed the levels). I just finished all the Red Barron/Witches quests and without having touched any side-content outside of the White Orchard. I'm not moving on to Pires of Novigrad (a level 10 quest) and despite all the effort to only do main quests, Geralt is level 16.

14. Re: The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools Aug 14, 2015, 12:22 Fion

Spektr wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 11:16:

Basically for a first time with an open world game the studio nailed it right away. As opposed to the Elder scrolls where each new episode is a disappointment leaving a bitter "they could have done better" aftertaste.
One big difference, I don't know if that's related to CDProjekt being European but this studio knows what a medieval city looks like. Also they know what a realistic landscape looks like, but since there are landscapes in the US they have no excuse.
No offence but the cities in the elder scroll games have been ridiculously small since Morrowind. This reached a certain level in ESO where I calculated one area's major city didn't have any habitation building in them.
Also the main map in Witcher3 is more than three times larger than the one in Skyrim. Which didn't prevent them from implementing seamless indoors/outdoors transitions in their maps.
ok maybe their landscapes are more desolate but that's exactly what makes them realistic.
But that's the technical side of thing. The quests are muuuch better.
Bethesda take heed, and wake up.

Agree et al. I think it must be the fact that CDPR is in Europe so they know what a medieval city looks like, especially when compared to Elder Scroll cities that look like fantasy paintings in that they are highly stylized but utterly unrealistic. I mean really? The largest city in Skyrim has a population of 85. Sure you can talk and interact and have a conversation with each one of them but having thousands of people crowding Novigrad is much more realistic. Even if only 5% of them have any dialog trees.

I think it's one reason why Bethesda recently stated that 'the next elder scrolls is a long ways off'. They know CDPR has so out-done them in every way.

Another thing that blows my mind is just how fast the game loads. Yea the 'recap videos' are a pain in the ass. Hoping to see a mod soon that removes them once you've seen them (were as the current mod removes em no matter what). But with an SSD the central map, 3x the sideof skyrim and probably a twice that of GTA V's world. The game loads up in about 15 seconds at the most, and often under 5 when waypointing-about. Compare this to GTA V which for me takes 30-40 seconds just to load into the game on an SSD. I cant imagine how slow it is to load on consoles.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2015, 12:46.

11. Re: The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools Aug 14, 2015, 12:09 Fion

My #1 mod to see: A mod that cuts quest xp in half at least.

Yea I know one already exists but it barely works and when it does.. patches break it. Maybe with the full release of mod tools someone can make one that doesn't break so easily and works 100% of the time.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2015, 12:28 Fion

Wait.. testing counter-strike pros for cannabis use? Why on earth would they be on pot while playing? It'd only dramatically slow down their reaction time and ability to think clearly about map dynamics.  

News Comments > The International Results
35. Re: The International Results Aug 10, 2015, 14:13 Fion

I agree all the teams that make the tourney should at least get a nice little bonus at the end.

And cutter, who I often agree with. If you think this is just some kids having fun without any real challenge or effort you couldn't be more wrong. The e-sports scene has a really high turnover rate because of the extreme pressure, focus and practice-time requires to build the skill necessary to compete at the high levels. The burn-out rate is higher than any other sport in the world.

On top of that these are very fun to watch. I barely know what I'm watching but it's exciting, tense and the finale had two very evenly matched up teams. I basically spent the whole time talking to my DOTA 2 playing friend on steam asking him questions. I think EG had the upper hand in almost every game accept one, especially any time their most famous player was able to play that spirit guy, which he was amazing at.

And yes the last game, when out of desperation (and lack of map view) CDEC went for the Aegis and EG just nuked the shit out of them. That and apparently their last draft pick wasn't so awesome.

Grats to EG for being the first ever american team to hit the finals and first ever to win it all!

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Aug 9, 2015, 15:02 Fion

The Darkness II is a really fun 10 hour romp, light in tone, funny with lots of crazy powers and decent shooter mechanics. It isn't the greatest game ever made but if your looking for something to help get you over the 'summer slump', it's a very fun game for $6.  

News Comments > Saturday Previews
3. Re: Saturday Previews Aug 8, 2015, 14:33 Fion

*cough*bullshit*cough* ars technica.

Looked pretty basic to me. All ships have the same weapons/armor/maneuvers. You just blow each other up in a small map with no goal other than 'first team to x-hundred kills wins'. Where are the capitol ships to try to destroy or land on and wreak havoc? (Battlefront 1 & 2) where are the variety of different ships to try out each with their own unique armaments and goals to achieve from simple protection detail to large raids on enemy stations (xwing vs. tie fighter).

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2015, 14:38.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Syndicate Trailer
2. Re: Assassin's Creed Syndicate Trailer Aug 5, 2015, 13:38 Fion

One of the reasons I've enjoyed some of the AC games is the historicla settings, exploring lovingly crafted worlds during their hayday. Industrialized Britain looks fun quite awesome.

Lets hope this is one of the 15% of AC games that doesn't suck horribly.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Fighter Squadron Teaser
20. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Fighter Squadron Teaser Aug 4, 2015, 14:00 Fion

As I've heard it, the fighters aren't on rails but the map they've had playable is so small that you can barely do anything but turn - shoot- turn - shoot - turn - shoot.

And yea, SW:ToR had terrible space missions. Star Wars Galaxies space-stuff was sooo muuuch betterrr.

3269 Comments. 164 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo