Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Withheld

Real Name Withheld   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ruffiana
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 10, 2003, 16:04
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 17414

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
46. Re: Op Ed Feb 13, 2012, 14:20 Ruffiana

I can almost guarantee this particular game is going to see a lot of success and that's going to fundamentally change some entrenched mindsets in the indy and mainstream publisher business model. This has already collected $1.7m and hasn't even been made yet...who knows how many more copies it will sell once released on Steam?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
45. Re: Op Ed Feb 13, 2012, 14:13 Ruffiana

Prez wrote on Feb 13, 2012, 12:43:
Aside from Cliffski's rant (which kinda does come across as whining... again), I think the major takeaway from this scenario is that there is no reason why established industry luminaries need to saddle themselves with making kiddie junk like Spore or Epic Mickey. If Will Wright was to do something like this for a real Simcity sequel, I know thousands of gamers like me would pony up. Maybe devs like Garriot, Molyneux, Meier, et. al. could reclaim their past magic.

That's the crux of it. There has to be brand-recognition behind the proposed game. And no one's going to get that kind of name recognition without building a beloved franchise first...probably on the a publisher's dime.

If anything, I see this kickstart model as a way of freeing underutilized devlopers with a proven track record and significant fan-base from the grips of the publishers who are preventing them from doing their best work. Either through under-funding, too much creative control, or mandating they cater to market trends.

That puts a lot of pressure on publishers to not treat their talent like disposable assets while keeping the pressure on developers to really do their best work for the gaming audience. Whether they're independant, publisher-backed, or community funded...they have to make good games first and foremost.

Obviously, kickstart funding won't work for any anonymous person or team. They still have to establish a reputation through either independant develoment or working within the traditional publisher model.

News Comments > Double Fine Crowdsourcing
26. Re: Double Fine Crowdsourcing Feb 9, 2012, 17:11 Ruffiana

Yakubs wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 15:06:
ASeven wrote on Feb 9, 2012, 14:49:
Hence publishers are slowly but surely becoming obsolete as devs go their own independent way without the need of an often useless middle man.

Publishers are very unlikely to ever become obsolete. Most developers have barely enough money for payroll, let alone marketing campaigns. Publishers are only obsolete for developers working on games that don't have mass market appeal.

This ultimately could lead to a win-win-win for the game industry. Publishers will still rely on internal studios and relatively unknown developers to make their games. If a team crafts something really solid, then that's incentive for publishers to not treat them like crap...lest they splinter off on their own and turn to crowdsourcing for funding.

It's also a great incentive for developers to make something exceptional so they'll have the option of not sucking the publisher teat cand catering to their whims.

Ultimately, it puts the emphasis on building a brand around a team of developers rather than marketting the latest itteratino on an established franchise. That's a win for gamers.

Haven't been this positive about the potential outlook for games in a long time. I've seen other developers attempt this crowdsourcing thing before but struggle with it because they're relatively obscure or completely unknown. This is the first time I've seen a genuine interest based solely on name recognition for past successes.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Feb 6, 2012, 16:09 Ruffiana

PHJF wrote on Feb 6, 2012, 14:58:
DRM, as insidious as it is, creates some roadblocks to that, forces people who pirate to put in some effort.

It forces The Scene to put in effort, not the end-user.

I disagree. There is a minimal amount of effort that's involved in finding, downloading, and using pirated software. A lot of people are just not technically savy enough to do this.

For example, my extended family used to frequently copy and share software in the days before DRM was implemented. Today, they don't. Further, none of them have ever modified their console hardware or modified their handheld game devices to let them utilize pirated software for those systems.

Even the most rudimentary DRM offers some hindarance to casual piracy, which I believe represents the majority of the gaming marketplace.

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Op Ed Feb 6, 2012, 14:05 Ruffiana

This article is pure rose-tinted nostalgia for a by-gone era of gaming.

Shareware games didn't require multi-million dollar investments to get the game onto a disc and out to a customer. We still have shareware. Only now it's a combination of Indy development + DRM-free policies + piracy. And it still only works for a handful of titles.

Mainstream development is heading down the path of free-to-play because 1) it works and 2) it practically eliminates piracy and used game trade.

News Comments > Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday?
20. Re: Skyrim Hi-Rez Pack Tuesday? Feb 5, 2012, 18:32 Ruffiana

elefunk wrote on Feb 5, 2012, 16:54:
Megatexture is an inherently flawed concept from its inception. The benefit you get of 100% unique texturework across the entire world is such a useless benefit with such a dramatically exaggerated cost. Even the most creative world ever doesn't require completely unique textures on every surface, so in the end, what's the point?

It was expensive tech just for the sake of being expensive. Skyrim's world is infinitely more interesting and varied than Rage, and it did so in a puny overall file size.

Megatexture is an overblown technological breakthrough that epitomizes the concept of diminishing returns.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how content is authored and how this technology made strides towards making the creation of a unique and believable environment.

I won't say it's the end-all, be-all of graphics technology...but it is, at worst, an interesting idea brought to fruition. it will, undoubtedly will lead to other advances in content creation and general rendering techniques...inside and outside of id Software.

News Comments > Ubisoft Online Disruption
5. Re: Ubisoft Online Disruption Feb 2, 2012, 11:13 Ruffiana

Hey Ubi, it's time to release a patch that does away with the online requirement for these games. You've done about all the protection from piracy you're going to do at this point. If people haven't bought Assassin's Creed by now they're probably not going to.

So save yourself a chunk of money and make your existing customers happy by setting them free.

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2012, 22:50 Ruffiana

Bhruic wrote on Feb 1, 2012, 21:52:
Is this something people are really worried about? Is the possiblitiy of losing a $50-60 game ten years from now something that keeps people away from Steam? I spend more than that every month on my damn cell phone bill. I spend about that much filling my Corolla up with gas. 10 years from now am I really going to care that I can't replay Left 4 Dead?

It doesn't sound like you've read the article. It's not a case of losing a single game, but losing an entire Steam account. I've got a couple dozen games on mine, and I know I'm on the low end of the spectrum compared to some around here. If Steam decided to cut me off, that'd be a pretty significant game loss. And we aren't talking about a 10 year future hypothetical, we are talking about tomorrow (figuratively speaking).

Shamefully, I did not. The blurb, out of context, seems to be talking about a completely different issue.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Feb 1, 2012, 21:46 Ruffiana

I dunno. Do I own my Super Nintendo games? Technically, I suppose I do. But I'm not sure where they are and really have no desire to play them again. I'm not even really that keen to replay game I bought on Steam 3 years ago, and they're still there...available. I've got a cabinet full of XBox, Wii, and 360 games that I'll probably never play again and a dusty cardboard box out in the garage full of PS1 games.

Is this something people are really worried about? Is the possiblitiy of losing a $50-60 game ten years from now something that keeps people away from Steam? I spend more than that every month on my damn cell phone bill. I spend about that much filling my Corolla up with gas. 10 years from now am I really going to care that I can't replay Left 4 Dead?

News Comments > Timothee Besset Leaves id
4. Re: Timothee Besset Leaves id Jan 31, 2012, 22:08 Ruffiana

Mad Max RW wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 21:53:
id software lost all credibility with PC gamers after Rage. Anybody who thinks otherwise is either too young or too stupid or a combination of both to know better.

id Software deserves skepticism at this point, but I think it's naive to dismiss them entirely. Anyone can follow up a mediocre game with a good game, or vice-versa.

But, id also deserves respect for its pedigree and contribution to the evolution of games over the years. They were critical in establishing an entire genre and leaders in developing 3D engines for quite some time. Plus they're support of the community, mod-community, and open-source releases of older engines is pretty awesome in my book.

Rage could have been a steaming piece of crap for all I know (no interest in it, didn't buy it), doesn't change my opinion of id Software or automatically discount any game they might develop in the future.

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 2012, 22:14.

News Comments > Rovio Positive About Piracy
22. Re: Rovio Positive About Piracy Jan 31, 2012, 19:00 Ruffiana

Veterator wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 16:15:
I still wonder what kind of money the major DRM scheme out there cost on a per title basis.

I am not willing to drop 40+ dollars on games anymore. Just because the chance of said game, even if it's a sequel to something I liked, sucking or being bug ridden, etc is just too high.

And I still avoid the stupidly DRM-heavy titles even after it's 5 bucks, because I just don't want to deal with the bullshit.

So piracy may be a factor, but just flat out overpricing, under delivering, nickel and dime tactics, and outrageous DRM "hoops"....they have all definitely factored into my purchasing decisions.

All of those are legimate reasons to not buy a game. There is no legitimate reason to pirate a game because games are purely products for luxury and entertainment...it's all just rationalizations for entitlement and self-gratification.

20. Re: Rovio Positive About Piracy Jan 31, 2012, 18:01 Ruffiana

Quboid wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 15:04:
Ruffiana wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 14:56:
Show me the developer on the verge of shutting down with a highly-pirated game talking about how positive that's been for them.

If piracy is good for successful games and bad for unsuccessful ones, that would suggest that actually piracy doesn't matter a damn.

No, all it suggests is that games can sometimes succeed in spite of piracy. It's pretty easy to be nonchalant and generous when you've already made more money than expected, but when you're barely scraping by you took a longer, harder look at the number of copies you’ve sold versus the number of pirated copies that have been downloaded.

10. Re: Rovio Positive About Piracy Jan 31, 2012, 14:56 Ruffiana

Show me the developer on the verge of shutting down with a highly-pirated game talking about how positive that's been for them.  

News Comments > TERA Region Blocking
9. Re: TERA Region Blocking Jan 31, 2012, 14:37 Ruffiana

baltar wrote on Jan 31, 2012, 13:47:
Racist might not be the right word, but its close enough to the attitude they are holding, which is discriminatory.

I know if someone said that shit where I'm working at I'd have their ass fired. Call me cruel or whatever but what they are saying is the same thing as someone saying "Oh well that city is full of hard criminals and has a huge crime rate" simply because there's Africans living there.

No, they're saying that city is full of hard criminals and has a huge crime rate because that geographic portion of the world is full of hard criminals and has a huge crime rate. The color of skin or shape of eyes really has nothing to do with statistics or facts.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 31, 2012, 12:17 Ruffiana

So does that mean slavery should be okay too, since most of the country's infrastructure and agricultural industries was built on the backs of slave labor?  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
21. Re: matthew@welchkin.net Jan 30, 2012, 18:58 Ruffiana

Prez wrote on Jan 30, 2012, 17:57:
As much flak as I give devs and publishers for their stupid DRM schemes, I have to say I don't find anything wrong with cutting out content for used buyers. If you want everything there then buy a new copy. Don't want to pay full price? Wait for a sale - it's not like this game will be full price for very long.

Most everyone else here decries pirates. Me, I think used game buyers are far worse.

People can still buy used, and quite possibly save themselves some money by buying used and purchasing the retail DLC seperately.

Or not purchasing it at all and do without. Catwoman was a great bit of content for Arkham City, but the game would have been fine without it.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 30, 2012, 18:56 Ruffiana

I've never understood making a distinction between DLC on the disc or downloaded. I actually prefer DLC on the disc as it saves me some bandwidth. A physical disc is just one method of distributing data to me.

As long as the game, sans DLC, is worth the purchase price...who cares? I'm not personally paying for development, just a product.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jan 30, 2012, 17:11 Ruffiana

The "Best Video Game used to Help Train U.S. Troops" award?

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Jan 27, 2012, 13:09 Ruffiana

There are copyright exemptions for non-profit, educational purposes...but libraries still buy books to put on their shelves. Software doesn't decay. It's digital. The media it's stored on may decay, but that's a different issue.

Bigger problem with this idea is, no one wants to pirate history. Would need more explosions, titties, and open-world sandbox play to be attractive to pirates.

I suppose we could try putting DRM in history books just so people would pirate it out of spite.

News Comments > Steam Mobile Beta
20. Re: Steam Mobile Beta Jan 26, 2012, 18:50 Ruffiana

Xanthaz wrote on Jan 26, 2012, 18:41:
I am sure that any game I already own on the PC version will be freely available on a mobile device and vice versa. Assuming there is a compatible version for each. I am sure Valve would never think of double billing me for Plant's vs. Zombies right? </sarcasm>

Sure, that's how Microsoft does it with PC/XBox games.

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo