Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Withheld

Real Name Withheld   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ruffiana
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 10, 2003, 16:04
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 17414

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Richard Garriott Interview
4. Re: Richard Garriott Interview May 11, 2009, 00:54 Ruffiana

He didn't discuss his lawsuit against NCSoft, he talked about world.com's lawsuit against NCSoft.

Story I've been hearing about his lawsuit has to do with stock options and whether he was fired or voluntarily left. If he voluntarily left, then he would have had to exercise his stock options within 90 days, and since the success of Aion in Korea after that time period, NCSoft's stock prices are now much higher than they were then.

[url=]http://media.libsyn.com/media/gamepolitics/Garriott-NCsoft-complaint.pdf[/url]

World.com, on the other hand, claims to hold a patent on technology and ideas that basically every MMO uses. Avatar, virtual 3D environment, chat, etc.

Both lawsuits seem incredibly full of douchebaggerieness to me. World.com is going after NCSoft rather than Blizzard specifically because it's large enough to be relevant and lucrative, but not as likely to have an army of lawyers. For what basically amounts to a patent on the letter 'e'. Insert tirrade on patent system here.

Garriot suckled the teat of NCSoft for years, phoned in a stinker of a game, nips off on a spacecation while the game is floundering after launch, gets fired or quits, and then wants more money because the company has become more successful after he left from a completely different game put out by a completely different studio. After s $106 million dollar development budget.

Meanwhile, all the developers who actually put in the man hours to get Richard Garriott's opus out the door are unemployed. What about the $106 million NCSoft sunk in to the development of Tabula Rasa for a $5-$10 million return? What about the financial burden for all of the community and tech support people hired for that game who were put out of work? The programmers, artists, designers, etc. I know it's a matter of what's legal or not legal, but it just seems so wrong on the 'fairness' scale.

I liked the early Ultima series as much as anyone, but that was 15-20 years ago. Frankly, you he completely lost relevance with me with around Ultima VIII when he joined the illustrious ranks of such notables as Roberta Williams.

I sincerely look forward to the day when the last of the game industry 'rock stars' are gone for good and we can settle down and judge games on their own merit rather than who's name is plastered on the box. Is that practice even successful anymore?

This comment was edited on May 11, 2009, 01:35.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? Updated
45. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? Updated May 9, 2009, 02:58 Ruffiana

I played the shit out of Quake and thought it was a landmark game for much of the same reasons you outlined.  

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? Updated
44. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Screenshots? May 9, 2009, 02:52 Ruffiana

Why so angry?  

News Comments > City of Heroes MA Exploits to End
12. Re: City of Heroes MA Exploits to End May 6, 2009, 22:02 Ruffiana

I am so tired of hearing these controlling devs and players talk about fair and balanced and doing what's right.

Please just shut up. It's a FUCKING GAME. A FUCKING GAME.

It's a fucking game to the players, but to the developers it's their jobs, their paychecks, the roofs over their families head. It actually is serious business to them. It's very serious business. It's multi-million dollar serious.

In the absolute worst case scenario, the game implodes and shuts down tomorrow. All of the players get to save $15 a month. All of the developers get to go on unemployment, stress about making their bills, and hope they can find another job soon.

You go invest millions of dollars into a project with 50+ employees dependent on the company continuing to exist and see if you can still think of it as just a fucking game.

News Comments > Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
28. Re: Civilization IV: The Complete Edition May 5, 2009, 21:55 Ruffiana

Hope this goes up on Steam.  

News Comments > WoW Scandal Follow-up
40. Re: WoW Scandal Follow-up May 1, 2009, 16:36 Ruffiana

The important thing here is not why they used it or why they didn't report it but:

# how did the item end up being set to a regular player?

# who sent it?

# why was it sent?

Blizzard sent it to him.

He shouldn't have used it, but even if he did, I don't think he should have been banned, when Blizz is the one that fucked up and gave it to him (actually, a guildie, who gave it to him).

And as others have said elsewhere, he could have used it for a lot worse purposes than achievements in instances.

I think Blizz is just trying to sweep this under the rug and forget about their fuckup.

By that arguement, any exploit or cheat is okay for players to use...because the devloeprs coded it to work that way.

He got what he deserved. I don't play the game and even I can see that the item was clearly not intended to be give or used by regular players. He should have deleted the item or at the very least contacted a GM and said "Hey, you gave me this thing that will insta-kill anything in the game...was that a mistake?"

But running around willy nilly and using it. Busted. End of story.

News Comments > L4D Free Trial This Week
23. Re: L4D Free Trial This Week Apr 30, 2009, 00:25 Ruffiana

You do realize that we can see your name over there on the right side of your post, yes?  

News Comments > L4D Free Trial This Week
1. Re: L4D Free Trial This Week Apr 29, 2009, 20:26 Ruffiana

How about free? Is free still too much for this awesome game?  

News Comments > Champions Online Dated
12. Re: Champions Online Dated Apr 24, 2009, 14:14 Ruffiana

which isn't going to cut it if we are supposed to get it completed in 3 months

Who's 'we'?

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: ME 2 Apr 18, 2009, 00:03 Ruffiana

They're screenshots from the concept artist's screen!  

News Comments > NCsoft NorCal now Paragon Studios
9. Re: NCsoft NorCal now Paragon Studios Apr 15, 2009, 00:29 Ruffiana

Maybe they will actually hire people now instead of constantly posting the same jobs and not finding anyone (In this economy? ridiculous)
People have been hired. The listings just stay up as new reqs open up shortly after the last person was hired.

15 developers were on the CoH/CoV team when NCSoft aquired the franchise from Cryptic.

http://www.paragon-studios.net/includes/images/about_us_image.png

That ain't 15 people.

Lemee guess...you or someone you know applied and didn't get the job?

News Comments > Big Huge Cuts, Crush Crushed
3. Re: Big Huge Cuts, Crush Crushed Apr 1, 2009, 14:04 Ruffiana

I personally wouldn't want to work for a company who wasn't exceptionally picky about who they hired.

Maybe the problem is you, not them? Something to consider.

News Comments > Steamworks Versus DRM
28. Re: Steamworks Versus DRM Mar 24, 2009, 18:54 Ruffiana

I don't think lobby system is the same things as server browers. They might be referring to the pre-game lobby, where you've got voice chat, can select games, set difficulty, etc.  

News Comments > Giving Devs/Pubs a Cut on Used Games
50. Re: Used Game Rev Share Mar 20, 2009, 04:56 Ruffiana

Consoles, Cars, Couches, Tires, Houses, Clothes. Hey you might look into a store called Goodwill, they accept used clothes at an absolute rip off for the seller, when you turn in your clothes you're lucky to get anything back! But they charge prices that are below retail completely undermining the clothing industry! All those clothes taht people made and they are reselling for profit!!! HOLY COW CALL THE COPS.

Unlike all of those things you listed, a used game is identical to a new game--for all practical purposes. No matter how much the original owner plays the game, no matter how many times it's sold, re-sold, then re-sold again, every person that buys and plays that game has an identical experience.

Things wear out. Clothes get old and ratty. Cars pile on the mileage and start requiring frequent maintenance. Houses get old, pipes start rusting through, shingles wear out. These commodities are not the same because unlike digital data, they degrade over time and eventually cease functioning. There's always some sort of incentive to buy a brand new version.

News Comments > Cryptic Seeking CoH Players?
8. Re: Cryptic Seeking CoH Players? Mar 18, 2009, 22:24 Ruffiana

1) Blow loads of money on developing MUO.
2) Run out of money when Microsoft/Marvel cancels deal.
3) Scramble for giant wad of cash from NCSoft for game and franchise that you've already lost interest in (Marvel was so much more illustrious than 'City of X')
4) Buy 'Champions' IP. (Note...NOT the game system that everyone knows and loves...just the name and IP)
5) Redub completed MUO content as 'Champions Online' (Champions is so much more illustrious than 'City of X').
6) Attempt to steal community of game that you stopped caring about and sold off to play 'Champions Online'. "Please come give us your money again."

News Comments > id Software Interview
5. Re: id Software Interview Mar 9, 2009, 23:23 Ruffiana

Is it just me, or is Rage shaping up to look like Fallout 3: The Movie : The Game?  

News Comments > Mortal Kombat Sale Follow-up
7. Re: Mortal Kombat Sale Follow-up Mar 3, 2009, 01:35 Ruffiana

You sir have a sad, sad misunderstanding of what a lead designer does on a game and what a director does for a movie.

The analogy comparing the two is not that far fetched.

News Comments > PC Street Fighter IV in Summer
12. Re: PC Street Fighter IV in Summer Feb 27, 2009, 16:15 Ruffiana

I'm building my own, but even the arcade machine parts suppliers are hammered by the demand right now.  

News Comments > Jack T's Days in Court
5. Re: Jack T's Days in Court Feb 23, 2009, 17:23 Ruffiana

Which retailers actually advertise that they won't sell M rated games or R rated movies to minors?  

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Feb 20, 2009, 20:33 Ruffiana

Still waiting for the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Musical: The Game" game.  

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo