Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Withheld

Real Name Withheld   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ruffiana
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 10, 2003, 16:04
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 17414

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Aion Live
14. Re: Aion Live Sep 22, 2009, 15:11 Ruffiana

Reading about it and watching the videos nearly won me over. But due to the fact that im sure i couldn't run it well and that im sure itll fizzle out like all the other WoW competitors over time.

It actually runs surprisingly well. I've maxed out the visuals on my system (9800 GT) and it runs at a solid 50-60 fps. They're not really pushing the boundaries on visuals, it's just really solid and consistent art direction. In the areas where it is crowded, there's a handy feature for turning off other player characters. Makes it very nice when you have to wade into the craft halls.

Will it bury WoW? No, of course not. MMOs succeed or fail on their own merits, and WoW has certainly proved itself successful enough to be around for a while. But I really don't see Aion going anywhere anytime soon. It's just been too successful in the Asian market (live for over a year now), and the initial sales numbers here in the west have been impressive. It'll certainly be around long enough for anyone to get their fill.

This comment was edited on Sep 22, 2009, 15:13.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Aion Live
13. Re: Aion Live Sep 22, 2009, 15:04 Ruffiana

Having not actually played WoW--mainly because the art style was too cartoony and Don Bluth like for my tastes--I've been having a lot of fun with Aion. It hooked me pretty quickly, unlike CO (only other MMO I've tried this year). Whether it's a better game or whether it's just a different game more in tune with what I like I can't say. It's certainly a better looking game with a fully realized world to look forward to exploring.

It's not a game for everyone, but what game is? If you don't like MMORPGs there's nothing here that's going to change your mind. But if you do like MMOs, and you like fantasy RPGs, then it's worth a look.

News Comments > Yearly Major Updates for Aion (At Least)
3. Re: Yearly Major Updates for Aion (At Least) Sep 22, 2009, 02:03 Ruffiana

Not sure why they would say this, seems like a no win situation. If they deliver, then they're just meeting par. If they fail, then it's held against them for breaking their word.  

News Comments > Champions Online Interview
6. Re: Champions Online Interview Sep 21, 2009, 21:47 Ruffiana

Yeah I hate it also when games have complex character creation systems. It's much better when they lead you by the hand like most other popular MMORPG's....sarcasm off

Come back in a few months and tell me about how awesome their open system is when it's been hammered down into generic Ranged/Melee/Control/Pet power with animations and VFX being the only thing distinguishing the various powers. That or they'll pointedly refuse to adjust the outliers and everyone will be playing the same damn build.

They took the concept of avatar customization being visual fluff with no tie to gameplay and are extending it to the entire power system. Sound great on paper, but in practice it makes for an extremely shallow RPG system.

Which is fine, if you're going to go shallow, then go shallow and make the damn retcons cheap/free.

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2009, 21:55.

5. Re: Champions Online Interview Sep 21, 2009, 21:43 Ruffiana

So you're criticizing the features he says they're going to adjust, none of which should have affected you very much, since you only got to lvl 21.

It's fine if it didn't scratch your itch, but why are you trying to bury it when it's only just started?

My bad for commenting on a game that I played for a couple of weeks in response to Cryptic's plan to improve it. A plan which fails to address any of the issues I highlighted as being the reason I'm personally no longer playing the game.

fanboi

1. Re: Champions Online Interview Sep 21, 2009, 19:49 Ruffiana

Reviews for this game have been mediocre, and my personal experience would definitely put it in that category.

I cancelled my sub stopped playing this game after 2 weeks. Seemed pointless. I know that there are only two zones beyond the city and neither really interested me. The gameplay up to 21 was very similar and I didn't really expect it to change much past that. Stat system was confusing where pumping points into intelligence did things like reduce the endurance cost of powers by 0.07% Ret-conning was entirely too expensive and not weighted (should be cheap to retcon out of a travel power). And despite the single shard, it still felt like a ghost town. Very very little dialogue with other players, teaming up happened very rarely and only long enough to complete the single task that people in the area were competing for.

It's funny, because they did a lot of things that I wish they'd done for CoH/CoV...but seeing them in practice, they just didn't feel right. Maybe the thing I thought I wanted were really not what I wanted, or maybe it was just very poorly implemented. Their whole open build system is never going to be balanced without making it more homogeneous than it already is. Worse, Cryptic doesn't really seem to have a solid plan for balancing things. They're content to stay with the tried and true method of just smashing everything with a sledghammer until it's all perfectly flat.

Maybe things turn around post 25 when you can make a nemesis, or beyond that when you start teaming up to do the 'lairs' missions...but frankly if it takes that long to get to the fun, then they've kind of missed the point.

The switch from MUO to Champions is obvious and feels soul-less in the way it was done. They didn't launch with nearly enough content and I don't have high hopes of them doing in 6 months or even 1 year what they did in 3 or 4. Because of all of that, I really don't think this game is ever going to be really successful.

On the plus side, I can't see any reason why Cryptic would shut it down in the near future. It's a perfect opportunity to iron out all of the issues with OPs, GMs, CS, and server maintenance (since they're doing all of that in house) before STO or NWNO.

News Comments > Arkham Asylum Sells Well
8. Re: Arkham Asylum Sells Well Sep 21, 2009, 13:13 Ruffiana

The combat ranges from incredibly shallow button-mashing, to only slightly shallow multiple button rhythm game mashing. But you shouldn't mistake that simplicity of control for a lack of satisfaction. It feels like you're playing the super-competent face-smashing machine that is Batman. He doesn't sweat the henchmen. 2 punches and a kick later and there are 3 grunts laid out taking a long siesta.

However, you can play most of the game without resorting to fisticuffs, and that's where it's really fun. Setting up your bat-splosives and bat-bait to drop down from a gargoyle and hang some henchman, or smash through a plate glass window on a zip line to take someone goon out. Lots of uniquely scripted situations for taking out minions in interesting and silent ways, and I didn't discover half of them until going through the challenge modes.

Nothing as satisfying as getting down to that final lackey who's now so freaked out that his companions have been taken out that his heart rate hits 160+ and he's firing wildly into the darkness around him.

Damnit, now I wanna go home and play some damn Batman.

This comment was edited on Sep 21, 2009, 13:17.

News Comments > Aion Drops GameGuard, Adds Oceanic Server
16. Re: Adds Oceanic Server Sep 18, 2009, 22:24 Ruffiana

I think the idea is about maintenance periods, which for N. America servers usually cuts into prime playing time for the folks on the other side of the world. Wth their own server it can be taken down for maintenance/updates at more convenient time.

This comment was edited on Sep 19, 2009, 01:26.

News Comments > Arkham Asylum Free DLC Released
17. Re: Arkham Asylum Free DLC Released Sep 18, 2009, 22:21 Ruffiana

Honest too god even if game updates were hand delivered by a hot topless chick someone here would bitch.

I like C cups

News Comments > Aion Presales Soar
41. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 17, 2009, 17:53 Ruffiana

No kidding, that's the problem: the MMO "genre" has settled into every game being a mere manifestation of a small subset of ideas. Developers change the graphics engine and nothing else. And Korean MMOs (cough, AION) are notoriously worse at being unique than Western counterparts.

I feel this way about first person shooters. They are all nigh identical games with slightly different weapons, slightly different environments, and slightly different bad guys to shoot your slightly different weapons at.

But I'm also smart enough to recognize the difference between personal preferences and flawed genre.

40. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 17, 2009, 17:50 Ruffiana

Yes, a massively multiplayer game will always have the "flaw" of having game play designed around multiple players.  

39. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 17, 2009, 17:48 Ruffiana

WoW was nothing new either. You don't need innovation to be successful or even be a good game.  

38. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 17, 2009, 17:47 Ruffiana

Pre-orders is not the same as total sales of an expansion to a massively successful, 5 year old MMO.

If you want to compare apples to apples, compare the pre-order numbers of WoW to the pre-order numbers of Aion. Or wait until the total sales numbers of Aion come out 5 years from now and compare those to the sales numbers from WoW

I personally read record-breaking as "record-breaking for NCSoft"...which, considering the success of games like Lineage and Lineage II, and the highly regarded NCWest games such as Guild Wars or City of Heroes, it still pretty impressive. I don't think NCSoft has seen 400,000 pre-orders from any game in North America, so kudos to them for making something that people are obviously excited about trying out.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2009, 17:55.

36. Re: Aion Presales Soar Sep 17, 2009, 17:40 Ruffiana

I think it'll end up being another flop. Ncsoft hasn't had a real winner yet and people here just don't care for the Asian MMOs.. Not to mention its very steep system requirements.

This is an idiotic statement. NCSoft is the 2nd largest, most successful producer of MMOs in the world...second only to WoW, which is commonly regarded as the MMO equivalent of capturing lightning in a bottle.

If NCSoft hasn't produced a winner, then no one other than Blizzard has, because NCSoft has dominated every other MMO maker out there.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Sep 17, 2009, 03:27 Ruffiana

Shame that their version can't compete with NetFlix...it's potentially the best of both worlds. Queue up online and wait for it to come in the mail, or nip off to the nearest brick and mortar for immediate rental/return/exchanges.  

News Comments > On Valve's Process
5. Re: On Valve's Process Sep 17, 2009, 03:22 Ruffiana

become console whores.

Much to the delight of horny console owners!

News Comments > Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures
25. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 16, 2009, 06:04 Ruffiana

Shortly before an MMO leaves closed beta, people being predicting it's imminent demise.

I give props to SWG for continuing to survive for over 6 years...a full 4 years after it supposedly commited suicide via the NGE. Just goes to show that opinions on the internet are full of sound and fury, but really signify nothing.

I expect this game will be around in some form even after the KotOR MMO is released.

News Comments > Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures
24. Re: Star Wars Galaxies Server Closures Sep 16, 2009, 05:58 Ruffiana

MMO players not having a social life is a gross stereotype. There are plenty of long time MMO players with very active lifes outside of the game, families, friends, etc. both in and out of the game. One of the key elements of MMOs is socialization.

Average person wastes 4-5 hours/day watching TV and wouldn't be labeled socially inept as a group. That's every day, for their entire life. Go ahead and make the claim that people who watch TV for more than a couple of months have no social life.

Frankly, the fact that your posting this haughty opinion on the comments section of a gaming news site at slightly past midnight is rich in irony.

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2009, 06:05.

News Comments > The High Cost of WoW Obsession
10. Re: The High Cost of WoW Obsession Sep 16, 2009, 01:57 Ruffiana

$1600? I spend way more than that every year making myself fatter.  

News Comments > City of Heroes Issue 16 Launched
2. Re: City of Heroes Issue 16 Launched Sep 16, 2009, 01:53 Ruffiana

Depends. Do you like apples or clouds?  

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 33.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo