Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Withheld

Real Name Withheld   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ruffiana
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 10, 2003, 16:04
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 17414

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Gearbox Passed on Blade Runner
5. Re: Gearbox Passed on Blade Runner Nov 16, 2009, 15:20 Ruffiana

Maybe they felt that in order to justify any licensing fees it would have to be a big-budget, AAA game?

GTA 4 had a reputed cost of $100 million. With that as context, $25 doesn't seem ludicrous for a next gen or even current gen game.

Key thing for me here is the mention of the word 'risk'. Not that they felt $25 million was excessive, or wouldn't find a way to spend that amount of money, or even whether or not it would be a good game...but that the risk for return on investment was too high.

Winds are already changing in the industry.

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2009, 15:22.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Dragon Age Image Comparison
27. Re: Dragon Age Image Comparison Nov 12, 2009, 19:05 Ruffiana

In the case of Dragon Age you pay the price for the better graphics with long loading times though.. and a memory leak that forces you to restart the game after 3-4 hours because load-times increase and increase.

I've never run into this problem...namely because the game crashes for me during every other cut scene.

News Comments > Age of Conan Wants You Back
9. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 16:18 Ruffiana

Edit: one of my main gripes with the game early on was that it is a single player game for the most part. Other players steal my quest kills, for example. That's not an MMO, but a single player game.

I have never had another player steal my quest kills in a single player game.

News Comments > Age of Conan Wants You Back
7. Re: Age of Conan Wants You Back Nov 11, 2009, 16:17 Ruffiana

This game should be looking at moving to F2P and the expansion should be free as it is.

And where, pray tell, would they make a profit?

News Comments > EA Announces Record Gains, 1500 Job Cuts
9. Re: Evening Consolidation Nov 9, 2009, 18:36 Ruffiana

As someone who's been in the industry for over 11 years, I've never been happy with being laid off. A few months of unemployment can set you back years in terms of finances.

Frankly, studio shut downs are a not a good thing for anyone. Most people I've worked with who were axed as part of a team or a project made a decent game and were primed to make a much better game. Never given the opportunity.

I blame the used game market. It's contributed to the death of so much potential at the expense of someone not even involved in making games getting huge profits. That's why I don't buy used games and it's why I stopped letting people borrow my games or borrowing games from other people. If I play it, I pay for it.

News Comments > Visually Impaired Gamer Sues Sony
55. Re: Visually Impaired Gamer Sues Sony Nov 9, 2009, 13:53 Ruffiana

I don't see what is all that funny here.

Gaming has been around for over 20 years now and it costs almost nothing to have resizable fonts and/or to make a game work with a zoom-in utility. These should be standard things. With screen resolutions going up to higher than I ever would have thought possible, some of the fonts on the games are too tiny for anyone with glasses to read, much less the visually impaired.

The guy may have made a stupid case for himself by saying that not being able to use the Sony marketplace is losing him money, but the point still stands. If gaming companies are made to comply so that all text is resizable then everybody wins.

It should be up to the company making the game to decide that. They're in the best position to know what the cost versus potential benefit would be.

This is not public property or access to a necessity we're talking about...this is entertainment produced by a private corporation. Government has no business messing with this.

News Comments > Developer Pirates Its Own Game
10. Re: Developer Pirates Its Own Game Nov 6, 2009, 17:43 Ruffiana

Now that piracy is a marketing tool, doesn't that automatically make it lame?

Brilliant counter strategy to control piracy in the industry. Soon they'll be releasing illegal download numbers rather than sales numbers as benchmarks for how awesome games are.

News Comments > Cut Left 4 Dead 2 Demo Removes Gore, Adds Performance
13. Re: Cut L4D2 Demo Performance Nov 6, 2009, 17:39 Ruffiana

Splattering the virtual camera lens with blood could potentially a few layers of overdraw for the entire scene.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2009, 17:40.

News Comments > Star Trek Online in February
11. Re: Star Trek Online in February Nov 6, 2009, 00:38 Ruffiana

Release date in 3-4 months...no open beta yet. This game is pretty much guaranteed to have a rough launch.

They're repeating the same mistake they made with Champions. Only this time, I doubt Atari will let them slip the date. They'd be stupid not to, but publishers can be very stupid when it comes to making necessary investments for a game...especially when the last one didn't pay off.

Don't buy into the marketting spin on this one...even though they've got Roper hocking it during every Champions interview now. Get into the open beta if you can and then wait at least a month or two after launch before thinking about investing in this game.

Frankly this game doesn't sound as interesting as KoTOR...it doesn't look as good as Black Prophecy, and it's going to have a hard time standing up against the venerable EVE. All it has going for it is the IP, and ST fans are notoriously hard to please.

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2009, 00:39.

News Comments > Video Game Survey Results
19. Re: Video Game Survey Results Nov 5, 2009, 20:59 Ruffiana

Windows solitaire isn't a game?  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 PC Demo Open to All
30. Re: L4D2 PC Demo Open Nov 4, 2009, 02:29 Ruffiana

I think 2 levels from one campaign is really not enough to judge the entire game on. Pretty sure there are some campaigns that take place at night, but daytime campaigns was one of the things that many players specifically asked for on their forums. For all I know, it could be dark by the end of "The Parish".

Another example of how trying to cater to some of your players will only succeed in disappointing others.

I don't get the 'dated' comment. I feel like the level of graphics is more than enough to be immersive and yet still run well on a wide band of people's systems. Every game that comes out doesn't need to push the bar so far back that only people with the most expensive card on the market can run it at 15fps.

Besides, I think we're getting pretty close to point at which engine technology is going to be able to render graphics that are simply 'good enough', and we'll finally start seeing more exploration into different styles, tone, and just solid art direction...after the tools catch up to the tech.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2009, 02:31.

11. Re: L4D2 PC Demo Open Nov 3, 2009, 19:09 Ruffiana

I have to say, it's not.

It's definitely a sequel, or possibly 1.5 version of the game. But that's mainly in regards to the gameplay renovations, the design behind some of the new specials (ideas that I saw pitched SO many times on their forums as needed classes to disrupt popular tactics)...but from the 2 levels in the French Quarter, it's lost a lot of it's flavor that the original captured so well.

I'm still looking forward to it's full release, especially to check out the new gameplay modes and play through the new campaigns...but I just don't have the same sort of attachment to the 4 new survivors. I would still recommend the original L4D for it's tone and mood (especially at the prices you can pick it up for now). The graphic improvements for L4D2 are not that drastic. They're there...they're noticeable (especially cubic environment maps)...but not to the degree that it makes playing the first one feel like you're playing a last gen game.

I'm still hoping that they'll tie the two games together somehow. I would love to be able to jump from L4D to L4D2 campaigns, use any of the 8 survivors, melee weapons, new gameplay modes, etc. I realize there's a huge void of assets to make that feasible...voice-overs for the original survivors for the new campaigns and survivors for one...but it would be awesome for those who have both games.

10. Re: L4D2 PC Demo Open Nov 3, 2009, 19:00 Ruffiana

WTF? I paid for the demo, and now they're giving it away for free!!! Valve can suck it! I demand my money back, plus $32.47 for the time I wasted downloading and playing the demo I had to pay for!!!  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Preorder Offer
6. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Preorder Offer Nov 3, 2009, 15:31 Ruffiana

Cute...I'm still hoping to be able to use the 4 survivors in L4D in L4D2 content...or somehow just mash the two games together into one big uber game.

I know that there are a lot of issues with new voiceovers, new specials, melee weapon animations and view models, etc etc.

News Comments > Steam Top 10 Part 2
26. Re: Steam Top 10 Part 2 Nov 2, 2009, 17:52 Ruffiana

No matter what a game developer anyone does or does not do, someone...somewhere...will whine about it.  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 DLC Clues?
21. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 DLC Clues? Oct 31, 2009, 00:51 Ruffiana

Already bought L4D2, and I really don't care if they never release a DLC. I've almost gotten my money's worth from the 2 level demo alone, so looking forward to the various campaigns and game modes to play with at release.

Still haven't played Crash Course in L4D, or even survivor mode for that matter...but I still felt I got more than my money's worth out of that game.

Valve's making money, I'm having a blast, who's the real loser in this deal?

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 2009, 00:54.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Demo Status
5. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Demo Status Oct 28, 2009, 00:46 Ruffiana

It was the $34 price point for me (4-pack preorder price). I couldn't give a shit about when the demo is released or what knick-knacks come with it.  

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Demo Early Access Delayed
13. Re: Left 4 Dead 2 Demo Early Access Delayed Oct 27, 2009, 22:14 Ruffiana

I forgot this was coming out so soon.  

News Comments > Champions Online Blood Moon Trailer
4. Re: Champions Online Blood Moon Trailer Oct 27, 2009, 18:24 Ruffiana

Champions Online: The MMO so bad that its a free to play weekend....ALREADY

That's not exactly fair. Why wouldn't they have a free-play weekend for canceled subs to coincide with an event or update?

I'm hardly a fan of this game, but good on them to give former players a chance to come back and check it out for free

News Comments > New Age of Conan Pricing
12. Re: New Age of Conan Pricing Oct 24, 2009, 00:20 Ruffiana

Fion the everlasting AoC fanboi... I cant wait to laugh in you face when the game shuts down in 6 months or so.

Exactly how long will you give him? Betting on an MMO shutting down is like betting on someone's pet hamster dying, it's inevitable. Nothing lasts forever and MMO games are no exception. You don't come off sounding wise and street savy making statements like that.

How long before your prediction loses it's relevance, and you admit to Fion that you were wrong and that AOC was not a flash in the pan and instead a succesful game. Because there's more to success than trumping WoW's obscene number of subscribers...that's not a requirement.

Only fair. If you're predicting 6 months, then 6 months from if the game is still runing now come back and admit that you were a twit.

This comment was edited on Oct 24, 2009, 00:23.

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo