Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Withheld

Real Name Withheld   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ruffiana
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 10, 2003, 16:04
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 17414

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Swift Leaves Valve, Joins Airtight Games
14. Re: Swift Leaves Valve, Joins Airtight Games Dec 7, 2009, 20:39 Ruffiana

Interestingly, I hung out and chatted with a fellow who was a personal fried of a co-worker at GDC a couple of years back who worked on Portal. He had nothing but bad things to say about Swift...namely that she was basking in the glory of other people's hard work without doing any herself.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pandemic Closure: Blame California
14. Re: Pandemic Closure: Blame California Dec 5, 2009, 02:32 Ruffiana

Right now, we've giving the state an interest-free loan through a mandatory higher tax rates on our payroll.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 on Two DVDs
28. Re: Mass Effect 2 on Two DVDs Dec 4, 2009, 20:01 Ruffiana

Uh, size has no real correlation with the amount of content in the game. It could be 5GB of empty planets again with cut and paste quests.

Very unlikely, that type of procedural data is extremely small. It's probably due to voice acting...specifically dialogue for the main storyline.

All of the repeated dialogue (NPC merchants in starting areas, etc) or non-linear ancillary stuff (side missions that you can go to at any time) is probably duplicated on both.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 2009, 20:04.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Dec 4, 2009, 19:58 Ruffiana

I don't either. It'd be one thing if they were somehow preventing your hacked XBox from working entirely, but this is just access to their online service.

Not really any different than any business reserving the right to refuse business with customers. No shirts, no service. Or movie theaters kicking unruly people out.

News Comments > MW2 "Army" is Large
23. Re: MW2 Dec 4, 2009, 18:56 Ruffiana

Popular does not equate to good.

The game industry is not about good, it's about making money.

We, as gamers, are just fortunate that many developers believe the two are tied together.

We, as developers, are unfortunate in that many of the people with the money to finance the ever increasing cost of developing games only care about seeing a return on their investment.

News Comments > Alganon "Soft" Launch
8. Re: Alganon Dec 2, 2009, 22:50 Ruffiana

I just don't get it. Why even be in the games industry if that's all you can aspire to?

Because most of us aren't financially independent and able to spend millions of dollars of our own money to make our dream game...so we have to make games that people with money are willing to part with said money in order to make?

This whole thing though reeks of "The game is not done, we need your money now, but know that we can't stick you for the full price and have any hope of turning things around."

So basically a discounted pay-for-beta

This comment was edited on Dec 2, 2009, 22:52.

News Comments > Twilight for Edge of Twilight?
2. Re: Twilight for Edge of Twilight? Dec 2, 2009, 13:04 Ruffiana

TEAM JACOB!  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Nov 30, 2009, 17:31 Ruffiana

Apple is only 6-10% of the total market share. As a computer company they failed since really they should be in the lead considering they were one of the first.

Yes, because being the current leader of market share is the only sign of success. Popularity, not profitability, is the hallmark of successful companies.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Screenshot
11. Re: Duke Nukem Screenshot Nov 30, 2009, 17:19 Ruffiana

There was a time when they could have released pretty much anything in a box with "Duke Nukem Forever" on the cover and it would have sold well. People would have bought it for the novelty alone.

I think that time has passed. Forget about an actual game, I'm not sure people care any more. DNF only has value as a vaporware joke.

This comment was edited on Nov 30, 2009, 17:21.

News Comments > Champions Online Free Weekend
8. Re: Champions Online Free Weekend Nov 27, 2009, 01:47 Ruffiana

Or moved them onto Neverwinter Nights?!?

Yes, the Neverwinter Nights MMO that Cyptic is working on.

News Comments > Champions Online Free Weekend
3. Re: Champions Online Free Weekend Nov 26, 2009, 16:44 Ruffiana

So what's the state of the game at this point? Is it still as empty and lifeless as it was in beta? Have they added any instanced content at the lower levels? How many players are left?

The last numbers I heard from a reliable source were 60-80k players...but that was a couple of months ago. I don't know if that number has gone up, or down.

Cryptic has already shunted the majority of people who were working on CO over to STO to get that wrapped up in time for the Feb 2nd launch date or moved them onto Neverwinter Nights.

That's not to discourage anyone from playing the game. If you like it, then by all means play it.

This comment was edited on Nov 26, 2009, 16:45.

News Comments > Aion Update Video
9. Re: Aion Update Video Nov 24, 2009, 18:45 Ruffiana

You don't get the appeal, therefore it's bad. The gaming community couldn't possibly be made up of millions of human beings, with radically different things that they find enjoyable or rewarding.  

News Comments > Diablo 3 Skill Trees Cut Down?
20. Re: Diablo III Skill Trees Cut Down? Nov 24, 2009, 13:39 Ruffiana

Are you shitting me? This is news? Come on is it a slow news day? They are in design stages of development where they are iterating and using different ideas and this preliminary information is news worthy?

It's more relevant news than all of those times Cryptic's forum registration was down for routine maintenance, back before CO beta even began.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
36. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 23, 2009, 14:36 Ruffiana

I think you may not have played the game on a hard enough difficalty for you, or did you finish the levels on Expert?

Co-Op on Expert difficulty is where these games really shine. This is coming from someone who generally plays games on 'Easy' because I'm more interested in finishing a game in a reasonable amount of time, seeing all of the content and environments. I don't play Half Life, Gears, Halo, Crysis, etc on anything above 'normal'...but this game (L4D and L4D2) pretty much require it.

News Comments > Steam Bans Grey Market MW2 Keys
54. Re: Steam Bans Grey Market MW2 Keys Nov 21, 2009, 15:15 Ruffiana

And what if Rolex decided to sell the exact same watch in different markets for 50-75% less than the US. Would you support them somehow remotely disabling said watches if someone decided to import some from Asia and resell them in the US? How much control should a company be able to maintain over their product after it has already been sold?

I support Valve's right to restrict access to their service for customers who haven't actually paid for it. This is MW2, a game not developed by Valve, published by Activation, so if a 3rd party doesn't want to support the game through their service when it wasn't purchased through thier service...isn't that their perogative?

But I think they're missing a golden opportunity here to allow these people to pay the additional cost to upgrade to a fully legitimate copy of the game.

This comment was edited on Nov 21, 2009, 15:20.

News Comments > New Dragon Age: Origins DLC Plans
32. Re: New Dragon Age: Origins DLC Plans Nov 19, 2009, 17:27 Ruffiana

the freedom in this game is a weak illusion, you're on rails

I'd rather be on rails in a well designed and crafted experience than be let off the leash to wander around miles and miles of procedurally generated crap with nothing happening.

Or, from another point of view, I'm much less restricted in how I experience the story than any movie.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Nov 17, 2009, 13:51 Ruffiana

Digital sales aside...this paints a much bleaker picture than the truth. What this chart represents is growth by comparing year to year sales. So while technically, game sales are showing a recession in growth, it's also showing that 2009 is still a phenomenal sales year for the game industry.

Yes, sales during the lowest point of 2009 (July) were lower than the same period in 2008, but sales from 2008 were much higher than 2007...so ultimately, sales from 2009 are still higher than they were in 2007...(which were much higher than 2006).

Why the recession in 2009? One could chalk that up to recession...or an increase in untracked digitial sales, or just an abscense of really big selling titles during the summer of 2009.

And that's without the 4th quarter sales, which if they follow typical patterns will very likely surge into positive growth yet again. With some pretty big releases this holiday season, I don't have much trouble believing that will happen.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 2009, 13:59.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - LEGO: Indiana Jones 2
2. Re: Ships Ahoy - LEGO: Indiana Jones 2 Nov 17, 2009, 13:44 Ruffiana

I will not buy this game simply for the fact that it includes KotCS...one of the only movies that physically enraged me after watching it.  

News Comments > Pandemic Closing?
21. Re: Pandemic Closing? Nov 17, 2009, 13:16 Ruffiana

Yeah we do. Going on 12 years and I've never worked for EA.  

News Comments > Gearbox Passed on Blade Runner
40. Re: Gearbox Passed on Blade Runner Nov 16, 2009, 21:41 Ruffiana

Soooooo...why not cut back on all of this waste, make a great game, and let the word of mouth sell the game for you! sheesh.

Wow, I mean, I don't know HOW ANYONE EVER MADE A GAME WITHOUT 15 MILLION IN MARKETING! *rollseyes*

Yeah, good luck presenting that business model to investors.

"Hey guys, give me $25 million to make a game and don't worry about marketing, we'll rely on word of mouth to sell it!"

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/marketing-influences-game-revenue-three-times-more-than-high-scores

This comment was edited on Nov 16, 2009, 21:42.

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo