Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Withheld

Real Name Withheld   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ruffiana
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 10, 2003, 16:04
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 17414

User comment history
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

News Comments > Aion Double XP Weekends
4. Re: Aion Double XP Weekends Dec 17, 2009, 18:33 Ruffiana

They do have a massive update coming down the pipe as well. Underwater zones, giant raid bosses, graphical updates, new weapon types for every class, etc etc.

I might have to get back into it again...especially if they can let me level up through their quest system rather than having to grind on mobs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hasbro Sues Atari/Infogrames over D&D Distribution
3. Re: Hasbro Sues Atari/Infogrames over D&D Distribution Dec 17, 2009, 16:37 Ruffiana

So that makes two suits against Atari over D&D?

What a strange licensing conumdrum to be in, stuck between the owner of the D&D brand, and the owner of the D&D digital game...

News Comments > Warhammer Online Reenlistment Campaign
7. Re: Warhammer Online Reenlistment Campaign Dec 16, 2009, 15:36 Ruffiana

An MMO will never, never, be ready for launch in the eyes of it's players.  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Dec 16, 2009, 15:31 Ruffiana

Fuck you and your laziness. Like developers don't have budgets and schedules...no, failing to make a massive investment in character art, animations, story, quests, etc is all due to laziness.

"It's so easy."
"It wouldn't take hardly any extra time at all."

You don't have a clue, and neither does the author of this "article". Oh look, I'm published on the internet...that makes me credible.

This comment was edited on Dec 16, 2009, 15:35.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 15, 2009, 19:35 Ruffiana

Squirrels are quite resourceful.

I've observed them doing things that I would not think they were capable of.

I have squirrels do my taxes every year. Always get a rebate.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Trailer
15. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Dec 15, 2009, 14:50 Ruffiana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwcTIqmZ3Gg

Leaked beta footage...get it while it's up.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Collector's and Digital Deluxe Editions
11. Re: Star Trek Online Collector's Edition and a Digital Deluxe Edition Dec 12, 2009, 02:07 Ruffiana

That's kind of standard price for any collector's edition...depending on the schwag involved.  

News Comments > New Atari CEO
4. Re: New Atari CEO Dec 11, 2009, 20:00 Ruffiana

STO will keep them alive a while. Good or bad, it's bound to have a large initial playerbase.

I'm not sure if you understand the business model of a subscription based MMO. Initial sales alone will not cut it.

All I'm saying is that they cannibalized the Champions team to meet this ship date for STO. It's recent 3 month update was tiny compared to CoH's 3 month update, and recent unofficial numbers I've heard about the game put subscriptions in the 30-40k range. Things do not look good for that product.

If STO does not do well at launch and continue to do well past launch, then a new CEO at Atari is going to be taking a very close look at Cryptic...who will at that point have two failed MMOs within a years time, and will be gobbling up Atari money working on the Neverwinter Nights MMO.

A lot hinges on STO doing well for them.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2009, 20:00.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Collector's and Digital Deluxe Editions
6. Re: Star Trek Online Collector's Edition and a Digital Deluxe Edition Dec 11, 2009, 19:50 Ruffiana

1,920 x 1,080 would make for some pretty shitty looking manuals.

Is it just me, or is it kind of odd to announce collector's edition, pre-order deals, prices, etc. before open beta's even started? I can't remember if other MMOs have done this or not. Aion was the most recent, and that doesn't really count because it was live in Asia for over a year before being "westernized".

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2009, 19:53.

News Comments > FPS Projector Controller
6. Re: FPS Projector Controller Dec 11, 2009, 14:41 Ruffiana

Why in the everloving hell is the character's hand and gun still shown on the screen if the controller itself is a gun?
It's obviously just a proof of concept for the system, not a game.

Looks to me to be a combination of a laser mouse and LCD projector. Pretty ingeniously simple.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2009, 14:43.

News Comments > FPS Projector Controller
5. Re: FPS Projector Controller Dec 11, 2009, 14:38 Ruffiana

Combine that, with an enclosed spherical treadmill to track movement and serve as a backdrop for projecting onto, and you've got something pretty interesting.

Seems a lot more practical than this thing:
http://www.getusb.info/the-virtual-sphere-is-ultimate-gaming-peripheral/

News Comments > New Atari CEO
1. Re: New Atari CEO Dec 11, 2009, 14:03 Ruffiana

I'm predicting rough times ahead for Cryptic.  

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Trailer, Voice Cast Announced
11. Re: Mass Effect 2 Trailer, Voice Cast Announced Dec 10, 2009, 16:39 Ruffiana

But it doesn't mean that. They'd hire cheap voice actors, and keep the price the same, and pocket the rest. If we lived in a perfect world you'd be right, though. I've been paying about the same price for computer games for a long time now. The budget of each game has gone through the roof, but the cost to purchase hasn't.

The inclusion of A-List talent allows them a bigger leverage for marketing. They'll sell more copies of this game for no other reason than the press releases and marketing talking about the big named talent they have doing voice overs. Higher profile talent = bigger marketing = more sales. Cheaper unknown talent = less marketing = less sales.

On a related note...I really wish they'd stop breaking up pre-order goodies and scattering them amongst different places with no other way of getting them in game. Want to give away pre-order stuff, fine. But make it the same for all pre-orders...and ideally make it stuff that you could get in game anyway. Even if it's more work. Different story for collector's edition content or DLC where you're paying extra money for extra content...we're talking pre-orders, which don't really serve any purpose outside of helping better estimate demand for production and distribution.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Dec 10, 2009, 15:06 Ruffiana

That is just plain wrong Elf and you know it. Bad indie games die very quickly whereas we have a whole plethora of "successful" AAA Titles that suck balls and yet spawn sequel after sequel.....

Suck balls, in your opinion. But you are not the entirety of the market, and the mass market, who has way more purchasing power than you do as an individual, has spoken by purchasing the shit out of the previous games.

I'll never by a Madden game, not because I think it's a bad game, but because I don't like football period. I will probably buy the next GTA, Halo, or Gears of War game because I had hours of enjoyable entertainment playing them, and expect that the next iteration will deliver a similar experience.

There's room a plenty for all, AAA and Indy games. Provided there continues to be a way to recoup whatever is invested in creating them.

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2009, 15:12.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Dec 10, 2009, 15:04 Ruffiana

There's no rational business model behind artistic innovation.

To fall back on the movie analogy, I've generally been far more entertained by the summer blockbuster than that majority of independent films I've had to suffer through. Yes, occasionally there's a gem. A film that tells a wonderful story in a beautiful and unexpected way without requiring A list talent or millions of dollars of special effects...but those gems are the exception, not the rule. Most 'indie' people seem to fall into the trappings of fighting against anything mainstream or mass market on principle alone...and that's just as toxic as making decisions based on business principle alone. The best stuff, in my opinion, finds a way to strike a balance and do what's best for the film.

I wasn't that impressed with Braid. Not enough to actually buy the game. I thought World of Goo was entertaining and reasonably priced, so I purchased that. But I've played the shit out of Left 4 Dead, Dragon Age, and dozens of other big budget, AAA titles. I'd kill for a remake of Super Metroid with absolutely nothing new but the entire game rebuilt as a 2D side-scroller in a modern 3D engine.

Call me shallow, call me a sheep, but my money's just as real and valuable as anyone else's, and I know what I like. Indie, AAA, whatever...I just like good games and have sense enough to know that we can never agree on what that is.

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2009, 15:04.

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Dec 10, 2009, 14:43 Ruffiana

I don't get the problem. Presumably, there's some kind of licensing going on that allows Redbox to be able to rent movies as a commercial venture. If you feel you're getting ripped off by Redbox's business model, then charge more for the right to rent movies commercially and let them figure out how to make a profit on it.

Put another way...how does Redbox's $1 rental affect sales anymore than Block Buster, Netflix, or Pay-per-view? All of those things offer the chance to view a movie without purchasing it, for a lower price. The only difference is they have different business models and levels of service at different price points. But they're all cheaper than buying movies.

Redbox is so cheap because it's basically a vending machine for movies. Limited selection, you gotta go out to where one is, pick a movie hoping that it's available, and then return it when you're done. I think $1 is a bit low even for that, but hey...that's their business model. They think they can make money that way then more power to them.

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 2009, 14:46.

News Comments > Legal Briefs
1. Re: Legal Briefs Dec 10, 2009, 13:30 Ruffiana

Lemme get this straight, Activision's defense is basically "too late, no backsies!" Lord help us all if that works.

If only there were some way to change a game after it was complete...pity.

News Comments > 3D Blu-ray Next Year
17. Re: 3D Blu-ray Next Year Dec 9, 2009, 21:53 Ruffiana

Almost all of these comments show a COMPLETE lack of understanding regarding how this kind of 3d tech works!

It won't use clunky shutter glasses. It doesn't use those poxy red/green film glasses (anaglyph, as that kind of 3d is known) - it's the kind of 3d that Pixar's Up! used to amazing effect. (Yes, there are glasses, but they're like shades, so it's not all bad).

Uhhhh...Up used digital 3-D, which filters stereoscopic images via polarized light and polarized lenses in your magical glasses. I personally find it a better method than the old school red/green method, but polarized lenses tend to clamp the dynamic range, futz with contrast, and mess up the color saturation the film. Almost like watching a movie while wearing sunglasses. For me personally, it's not worth it. The technology is still too intrusive for the payoff of "seein stuff in magical 3D". I care more about the overall visuals and story.

And it's not as if the news items specifically says "shutter glasses" or anything.

Viewing 3D movies will also require a screen with a 120 Hz refresh rate and the use of shutter glasses.

Oh wait, it does.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2009, 23:52.

News Comments > America's Army Game Cost $32 Million
35. Re: America's Army Game Cost $32 Million Dec 9, 2009, 18:37 Ruffiana

That's like a half dozen Tomahawk cruise missiles per year!

http://regretfulmorning.com/2009/07/5-most-expensive-military-vehicles-to-date/

disclosure of this information is likely to cause substantial harm to the Department of the Army's competitive position in the gaming industry

That's such an interesting quote. Maybe they don't want the Marines honing in on their action?

News Comments > EA: "A Billion People Gaming Today"
17. Re: EA: Dec 9, 2009, 18:29 Ruffiana

They must be counting everyone who uses a pc on the internet - seriously. I know more non gamers than gamers. Unless you count suduko or something like that.

There's a difference between "gamers" and "people gaming". The latter implies that someone, at some point, played a game.

Hell, just think about how many people with access to the internet who have ever played some flash version of Bejeweled. You don't got to be putting in 30 hours a week on MW2 to be part of the demographic.

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 28.
< Newer [ 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo