Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Withheld

Real Name Withheld   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ruffiana
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 10, 2003, 16:04
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 17414

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced
30. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced Feb 18, 2010, 17:36 Ruffiana

NKD wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 12:47:
kxmode wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 12:44:
Why are the soldiers gigantic in this screenshot?!
http://www.civilization5.com/img/screenshots/screenshot_01.jpg

Because giant soldiers are better than small soldiers.

Practically everything is better that Small Soldiers

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Trek Online Needs a "Meaningful" Death Penalty
20. Re: Star Trek Online Needs a "Meaningful" Death Penalty Feb 18, 2010, 14:05 Ruffiana

Am I the only one who reads "meaningful" death as separate and different than "death penalty".

I wish more games were able to deliver meaningful death experiences. Death in real life is one of the most profound, life altering, emotional experiences there is and I applaud any game that attempts to find ways to reach people on that type of emotional level.

Especially a social game like an MMO. I personally think it would be awesome if those moments of self-sacrifice had some kind of actual meaning because dying was more than just losing some time, levels, or loot.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Feb 16, 2010, 21:51 Ruffiana

Try Life. I hear it's the ultimate MMO.

Bah. Worst grind of any MMO and a stupid, draconian death penalty.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Feb 16, 2010, 17:31 Ruffiana

Until MMO developers/publishers can get away from making new MMOs based on successful previous MMOs, the genre will never mature or evolve.

MMOs are not alone in this problem...FPSs, RTSs, RPGs, pretty much every thing has gone through boom/bust cycle as far as innovation goes. Sadly I think the trend right now is to pull back more and take the safer bets than push for innovation. Production quality is going up, but core gameplay is not evolving in as many new and interesting directions as it has in the past.

I personally feel that Aion was the last successful MMO built on the traditional model and that moving forward it will take something new to garner any remarkable level of success. The Old Republic could do it if they manage to push the story-telling aspect of MMOs beyond the quest dialogue boxes of text, but I have reservations about their long-term success if they're too focused on providing 1000s of hours of content instead of 100s of hours of content with a regular pace of new, non-formulaic, non-repetitive content post-launch

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
11. Re: Sunday Consolidation Feb 15, 2010, 13:14 Ruffiana

I have a feeling Alan Wake is going to end up a turd with all the delays and changes made along the way. It's not going to end up being what it was supposed to be.

No game ever ends up being what it's 'supposed to be'.

News Comments > Legal Briefs
1. Re: Legal Briefs Feb 15, 2010, 13:13 Ruffiana

Two comments:
One, headline for this article is pretty irresponsible.
Two, would put money on someone picking this up as further proof of games corrupting youth while conveniently ignoring that it was a fellow gamer who recognized and reported the threat.

News Comments > No PC Alan Wake
65. Re: No PC Alan Wake Feb 12, 2010, 22:55 Ruffiana

More platforms = more revenue = more potential for profit.

On a basic level, yes. But if the cost to port the game to those SKUs is more than the expected revenues, it doesn't make sense to do that. It's not just 'making the game work on the PC', it's also tech support, marketing, packaging, distribution, etc. All of which is different for every platform and all of which costs money.

Microsoft probably looked at this game, didn't think it was going to be a phenomenal hit, and are playing the safe bet by focusing their efforts towards the unarguably larger console market, with a consistent hardware platform, that the game is better suited for anyway.

News Comments > No BioShock 2 Gamepad Support
6. Re: No BioShock 2 Gamepad Support Feb 12, 2010, 13:18 Ruffiana

Idathunk there would be a pc gamer outcry for just about any stupid-ass reason imaginable.  

News Comments > City of Heroes Graphics Upgrade
19. Re: City of Heroes Graphics Upgrade Feb 11, 2010, 13:36 Ruffiana

Ruffiana the VERY first video ever shown of CoH had a character running, then jumping onto a roof then flying away. As he jumped onto the building and flys away you see his shadow against the roof of the building. Then again they also show videos where CoH had location based damage (head/torso/legs).

http://www.cityofheroes.com/media_and_downloads/videos/videos.html

At the very bottom. The first video.

Anything else you'd like to say?

Sure. There are more than one method for generating shadows in game. What you're looking at in that video is a stencil buffer shadow volume, as pioneered by Carmack back for Q3:Arena. It's still in used in COH right now, namely on trees and other static geometry. You can tell it's a stencil shadow by the sharp edges that conform exactly to the geometry of the casting object. It does a good job of mimicking ray-traced shadows, but not so good at replicating soft-edged shadows from diffused lighting.

The shadows being implemented in ultra-mode are shadow maps. It's a more modern technique for creating shadows in a 3D engine. You get softer, more natural looking shadows, and everything in the scene can cast a shadow. I don't know exactly what kind of method their using to generate their shadow maps, but it's definitely not stencil buffers.

From the screenshots it's shadows and reflective water surfaces. Honestly pre and post the NCSoft buyout, Cryptic/Paragon Studios is known for doing fast and easy content. Putting in reflective water and 'turning on' engine abilities is about as fast and easy as they can do without putting major man-hours into the engine.

Info from Hero-Con outlined that "Ultra Mode" would add Dynamic Shadowmaps, planar reflective surfaces, dynamic cubemap reflection maps, and screen space ambient occlusion to the game. That is, in my mind, a more significant graphic update than was seen at City of Villains launch. Updating a graphics engine is never fast or easy, but I don't expect these additions to have a radical change for the pre-existing game world.

But, to play devil's advocate...if, simply turning on the engine's ability to "cast shadows" were as easy as you imply, then why didn't Cryptic turn on this feature, in their own game and engine, for the 3 years it was under their management and live support?

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2010, 16:24.

8. Re: City of Heroes Graphics Upgrade Feb 10, 2010, 13:22 Ruffiana

Champions 'destroyes' CoX?

What universe do you live in?

The Champions universe...duh. Where everyone is plastic and doll-like, but they can have asymmetrical gloves and boots that allows them to look super-fierce.

6. Re: City of Heroes Graphics Upgrade Feb 10, 2010, 13:09 Ruffiana

So they finally 'turned on' real time shadow that the game had way back when they released their first video of the game, oh and reflective water.

They never had shadowmaps before. City of Villains originally had lightmaps, but it was dropped as a feature sometime before launch. Presumably because of the time/cost for generating them or memory footprints.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2010, 13:19.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Capacity Increased
36. Re: Star Trek Online Capacity Increased Feb 8, 2010, 13:53 Ruffiana

More STO related news:
http://www.massively.com/2010/02/08/cryptic-clarifies-what-one-million-accounts-actually-means/

in relation to:
http://www.massively.com/2010/02/07/star-trek-online-reaches-one-million-accounts/

I expect STO to be somewhere in the 250-500k range, and then drop off very sharply after the first "free" month.

31. Re: Game Reviews Feb 8, 2010, 12:15 Ruffiana

Ironically enough, if you don't listen to forum haters, and actually try to see the game for what it is (and more importantly, what it *isn't*), you'll probably find the game pretty good.

If you like a game, any game, don't read their forums...or you will grow to hate it.

20. Re: Star Trek Online Capacity Increased Feb 8, 2010, 02:33 Ruffiana

I disagree with you. I think CO addressed most of the principle design issues plaguing CoX.
That was actually one of my biggest complaints. I spent a long time in beta and had some fun but all in all it wasn't all that great. The designers seemed to have gotten together and made a list of everything CoX players wanted or would have liked differently in CoH and made a game of that list. But in doing so they forgot what made CoH really great. CHO has no heart to it, no real reason to have been made accept for that list.

Actually I have no hate for Cryptic. CoX is in my 'top 5 Favorite MMOGs' list. I'll leave the hating for the other, much more cynic members lol. I just dislike how Jack Emmert makes his games. CoH was good from the beginning but Jack always had this idea that wanting the game how 'he' liked was more important than how the players wanted it. It's just bad design in the first place.

Interesting contradiction in statements there. Champions failed because it was a heartless rendition of doing nothing but what the CoX players wanted...but Jack is a failure for not catering to the whims of the players.

Bottom line, players don't know what they want. Half the time, they only think they know what they want when in actuality, they really want something else. Otherwise, any two players will have radically different ideas about what they think they want...often, diamaterically in opposition to one another. Listening to your players is good, trying to build a game around what your players ask for is a recipe for disaster.

IMO, Champions wasn't a good game precisely because they went out of their way to make a game that they thought would cater to their players rather than making a fun game that they would enjoy themselves. I think that's the biggest failing of most MMOs being developed these days.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2010, 02:36.

12. Re: Star Trek Online Capacity Increased Feb 7, 2010, 20:31 Ruffiana

Fion wrote on Feb 7, 2010, 19:43:
No CoH was their best game. It was good from the get-go with few real issues, beyond content that was quite repetitive. But it only got better as a new director came in and as their publisher took over the game, along with every single developer besides the lead of Cryptic, Jack Emert.

Champions Online was 'meh' and STO sounds 'meh' as well.

This isn't accurate. Every Cryptic developer who was working on the live game at that time, left Cryptic to join NCSoft and form Paragon Studios. Keep in mind that was about 15 people total, including a mix of NCSoft/Cryptic people.

The rest of the team who had worked on City of Heroes/City of Villains had already been moved off of that project onto Marvel and their other game prototypes. Yes, that included Jack, but it also included dozens of artists, designers, programmers, and production. There are still, to this day, a number of people working at Cryptic who were key people on City of Heroes and City of Villains.

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas in Fall
9. Re: Fallout: New Vegas This Fall Feb 4, 2010, 12:17 Ruffiana

The only two games from Obsidian that I'm familiar with are Knights of the Old Republic 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2. Both of which I remember as being decent, but pale in comparison to the original titles.

Seeing as how Fallout 3 had it's own schlew of minor to not so minor issues, I'm hoping that Obsidian will get it together and break their streak on sequels. Also hope that they get the budget and talent they need to do just that.

News Comments > DRM Discussion
15. Re: DRM Discussion Feb 3, 2010, 12:29 Ruffiana

Good old reliable Blues News. I know that anytime DRM is mentioned, the champions for piracy will come out in droves.  

News Comments > Impulse Top 10
5. Re: Impulse Top 10 Feb 2, 2010, 19:21 Ruffiana

The top seller is DRM free, says alot.

What has it said all of the times that the top seller has not been DRM free?

To me, it just says that the majority of people who buy games don't even know or care about DRM.

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Footage?
19. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Footage? Feb 2, 2010, 19:10 Ruffiana

That's another reason why I despise the Unreal Engine.

Silly looking blood.

As someone who's 1) worked on a game using the Unreal engine and 2) worked on VFX for numerous games at this point (including one in the Unreal engine)...your post is totally nonsensical to me.

From my perspective, it's the equivalent of saying something like:

That's another reason why I love Microsoft.

Fried chicken is tasty.

News Comments > Impulse Top 10
2. Re: Impulse Top 10 Feb 2, 2010, 18:59 Ruffiana

I wonder if there's a correlation between the release of high-profile game like Mass Effect 2, and an increase in sales for other games in the same genre.

This list would certainly hint at that.

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo