Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Withheld

Real Name Withheld   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ruffiana
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 10, 2003, 16:04
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 17414

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > On Game Budgets
12. Re: On Game Budgets Mar 23, 2010, 16:44 Ruffiana

Really? That's funny. I must have imagined all the years that we've delivered software (and various other IT projects) on time and on budget then. After all, it must be impossible if you say so.

With how many people involved? What kind of timeframe? Things get a lot more complicated when you're talking about teams of 100s of people over 2-3 years.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On Game Budgets
11. Re: On Game Budgets Mar 23, 2010, 16:42 Ruffiana

Yes, perhaps the games industry could learn from the exemplary project estimation and management capabilities of other sectors like construction, health, aviation, banking, military and government.

Every story I've heard about construction has always involved projecting a low bid to get the job, and then when it comes time for the final bill..."oh, we underestimated how much time/money it would take. It's actually going to be X + 50%"

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Mar 22, 2010, 17:24 Ruffiana

My brother is a huge CoD fan, and he had no idea that anyone other than Activision made them. Most gamers have no idea that there's any difference between a publisher and a developer, and why it matters.  

News Comments > Champions Online Free Weekend Plans
7. Re: Champions Online Free Weekend Plans Mar 22, 2010, 03:21 Ruffiana

Considering I payed on and off for 6 years in City of Heroes, why wouldn't I just spend 200 bucks on Champions Online Life sub? Or Star Trek Online?

City of Heroes is still going strong after 6 years, Star Trek Online will be around at least 3 due to the license alone, and Champs Online is payed for after 14 months.

Yes I MUST be retarded cause I decided that I enjoy both games, and would like to save money. Holy shit I must be a 'special needs' person.

As for Bill Roper, he came onto the Champs project roughly 4 months before it was launched and hasn't been heard from since. He's doing the exact same job he did at Blizzard (which he was pretty good at).

That's all well and good, but the question is...would you be playing CO for 14 months if you hadn't plunked out the cash for a lifetime sub already?

News Comments > Third APB Closed Beta Underway
11. Re: Third APB Closed Beta Underway Mar 20, 2010, 00:33 Ruffiana

It's GTA online.

I'm not in the beta, but a co-worker is and I watched him tool around for a bit.

I found multiplayer in GTAIV to be a cluster-fuck, and that was with a very limited number of people. I don't have a lot of high hopes for this kind of open world sandbox style game working in the long term. But, who knows...

News Comments > Peter Molyneux Interview
5. Re: Peter Molyneux Interview Mar 19, 2010, 16:33 Ruffiana

But name 1 other person besides maybe Will Wright that is as passionate about gaming then Peter.

The vast majority of people working the game industry are pretty fucking passionate about gaming. They just don't give interviews all the time. Most of them don't care to, and the few that do want to are specifically not allowed.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2010, 16:38.

News Comments > GameStop Financials
5. Re: GameStop Financials Mar 19, 2010, 00:48 Ruffiana

I don't understand why anyone buys a new console title - with rare exception in any case - when you can rent if for a week for 10 bucks

To help ensure that good games continue to be made?

News Comments > Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork
19. Re: Video Games Can Hurt Schoolwork Mar 16, 2010, 20:14 Ruffiana

Playing too many video games also interferes with drug/alcohol abuse and contracting STDs.

All while improving hand/eye coordination, critical problem solving, and general technology savviness...which I would consider good things. I know that for me personally, playing video games a lot when I was young lead directly to me working in the industry...whereas many of the classes I was required to take in school ended up being useless.

Maybe, just maybe, there's good and bad things that happen with playing video games. And maybe, just maybe, there's something to be said about moderation for practically any kind of activity. But I really don't see video games as being more impactful on general performance in school than television, toys, comics, or whatever activity young kids will find to screw around instead of doing boring school work.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Mar 14, 2010, 20:45 Ruffiana

I didn't play Fallout 1 or 2. My only experience with the Fallout franchise was Fallout: Tactics and Fallout 3. For me, Fallout 3 was a good game. Not perfect by any means, but still a highly enjoyable game. I enjoyed the world, the storyline, and the overall tone.

I have no doubt that if I were to go back and play Fallout 1 and 2, I'd probably think they were shit because Fallout 3 has firmly established in my mind, what the franchise is.

It's all relevant. Nothing is truly good or bad, fun or not fun...it's all relevant to individuals. Games are good if they hit the mark for a lot of people rather than a few.

As for gamers in general, they complain about things changing and things not changing. They just complain in general because they can, because it's free, and because they think their opinions matter.

And for my two cents, It's not the Fallout purists that typified this, it was the damn emo-goth Diablo fanatics with those fucking paintovers of early screenshots before the games' even been released.

News Comments > On Infinity Ward Royalties
20. Re: On Infinity Ward Royalties Mar 12, 2010, 14:49 Ruffiana

I don't know if it's the same in the US, but in the UK the financial year ends 31 March, and that's when bonuses are paid.

If it's the same in the US, Activision have 2 weeks to make their devs want to stay.

Either way, this studio is dead...if they want to leave, and are only staying for the royalties.

If they're just hanging out for the big payoff, then they're just as likely to hang out for another full year to get the most of the royalties their owed. If morale is already low, it's only going to get lower as more and more people start peeling away from the company and the ones who remain are only there to collect the next royalty payment before heading out. IW will not be producing top quality games anymore, unless they just happen to get extremely lucky and bring in a whole new regiment of extremely talented, but incredibly naive talent.

I fully expect that within a year, there will be a new developer, founded by Vince and Jason, working on establishing a new IP for some publisher who will slowly collect ex-IW employees as they get their royalty payouts and trickle out of IW. Within 2 or 3 years we'll be hearing about some new, awesome FPS franchise from an unknown studio shortly before finding out that it's made from the majority, if not all of the people from IW.

Hopefully, they'll be a bit smarter about making their deals this time. They have a very solid track record, probably one of the most solid in the industry for creating incredibly well selling games and new franchises. In an ideal world, that would be enough, but in the real business world publishers are stupid and just as just as likely to put these guys over a barrel because they can...ultimately leading to a repeat of what's going on now down the line.

News Comments > Newell: Portal 2 is Valve's "Best Game"
6. Re: Newell: Portal 2 is Valve's Mar 12, 2010, 13:01 Ruffiana

Hey don't get me wrong, I mean, we all loved Portal but it was no Half-Life. And we're all stoked for Portal 2...fo sho. However, I think we'd all be a little more stoked about HL3 appearing before we end up in the old folks home.

We, do not agree with you. We enjoyed Portal much more as a game than Half Life 2, which we still haven't finished to date.

News Comments > LEGO Universe Beta Codes Arriving
8. Re: LEGO Universe Beta Codes Arriving Mar 11, 2010, 18:16 Ruffiana

Why do you think a game needs to be run 24/7 in order to be an effective beta?

I guarantee they'll get way more bug reports in those limited windows than they can fix before the next window. As long as the stream of bugs coming in are steady, there's no reason to let potential future customers get too comfortable with a game in flux or burn themselves out before its actually ready to be released.

News Comments > Derek Smart & Quest Online
34. Re: Derek Smart & Quest Online Mar 11, 2010, 16:59 Ruffiana

This is probably the most rational take on Derek Smart possible and even then it's too forgiving at times.

It's funny. I got called on the carpet once for something pretty insignificant I put out in a .plan file. Just recently I got called out on something I tweeted about working on, that was only vaguely related to a minor feature that hadn't been announced yet.

Developer interaction with the public, community, or gamers in general is often carefully controlled by the studios and publishers. Rightfully so. It's too easy for things to get misconstrued or implied, conclusions get drawn, and before you know it you're getting blasted for failing to deliver some un-promised feature and a completely invented time-line.

That article presents it as the individual developers who have drawn away from interacting with the community when it's more accurately a maturing of the industry as a whole to pull away from these individual rock-star mentalities and for development studios to want more control over the information about their game being made public. That's not a sign that developers are less of a gamer than they ever were...if anything it points to the fact that they're more interested in actually making games than talking about how awesome they are at making games.

Our own forums are probably one of the most interactive with our playerbase in terms of developers speaking with players, and frankly...it rarely provides any meaningful benefit to us outside of the "our devs actually talk with us" factor.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 2010, 17:18.

News Comments > The Old Republic Project EA's "Largest Ever"
1. Re: The Old Republic Project EA's Mar 10, 2010, 20:33 Ruffiana

No budget sounds like a delightful plan. MMOs are always better when they don't set out with any sort of concrete goals or limitations in mind.  

News Comments > The Making and Unmaking of Infinity Ward
8. Re: The Making and Unmaking of Infinity Ward Mar 7, 2010, 20:48 Ruffiana

Karma's a bitch.

That article fails to mention that Infinity Ward originally left 2015 because of a backroom deal with EA to develop the next MoH game (after the incredibly successful Allied Assault) without 2015 and Tom Kudirka's interference. It was only after Kudirka sued the shit out of EA for poaching 95% of his employees that EA walked away from IW, leaving them to get scooped up by Activision and eventually shunted out to Santa Monica.

Also, 2015 didn't settle in on Men of Valor until some time after the exodus. They went through 2 other prototypes before finally landing that deal with VU and only a handful of people (4-5) who had worked on MoH:AA were still with 2015 on Men of Valor. No one who ended up at IW was ever anywhere near that project.

News Comments > Blizzard Working on Multiple Diablo Sequels?
18. Re: Star Trek Online End of Beta Event Mar 3, 2010, 18:58 Ruffiana

Really, name the reports? I have not seen any lately. If you would please.

I too have heard that the other MMO in the works is not related to any of their existing franchises.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 25, 2010, 13:41 Ruffiana

"Valve releases a single pixel from Half Life II:Episode 3 on Twitter."  

News Comments > Valve on Valve Time
9. Re: Valve on Valve Time Feb 24, 2010, 21:29 Ruffiana

So basically they are saying they have no product roadmap and no production schedule. Great, so they are basically running a hippie commune. Which means they have not made HL3/EP3 becuase they don't feel like it, and probably never will. Awesome.

I will take something made by Valve, that they are excited about working on, than something put out by Valve that they don't really feel like doing, but do anyway because marketing or some other higher up decrees it must be out for by X date.

I don't pay these guys salaries, I just buy their games when they're released...so I don't care what they make or how long it takes them to make it. If it looks good when it comes out, and it's something I'm in the mood to play, then I buy it.

Of course, that type of development is all dependant on them being able to finance it. If the revenue dwindles away too much or the time/costs of development rise too much and it all gets out of wack...that model will get pitched right out the window, never to return.

News Comments > Star Trek Online Needs a "Meaningful" Death Penalty
39. Re: Star Trek Online Needs a Feb 18, 2010, 20:54 Ruffiana

The apologists for the game are always forgetting the main thing in gaming, which is gameplay. Star Trek Online is a repetitive, disconnected, combat focused bore-fest.

Why is it gamers have go so far away from understand what makes a game a game? I blame the new generation of gamers that grew up with 3D gaming.

You're overlooking that there is no singular definition for what makes a game, a game. No secret formula for "fun" or "good gameplay". Ultimately, everyone has very different opinions about what is fun, rewarding, challenging, addictive, compelling, etc.

It may be hard for you personally to understand, but for many people simply having something that's tedious, monotonous, and repetitive to do for months or years on end that lead to an arbitrary goal is a very rewarding and compelling experience. They see it is a tangible achievement, something that sets them apart from other people for having the patience to accomplish. These people would be put off playing an MMO that has very little long-term, grinding achievements to it. They would view it as too easy, too casual friendly, not hardcore enough. Any game is trading off one market of players for another market with every choice they make.

I don't like watching sports, but I'm not going to bemoan the whole sports broadcasting industry as being clueless about how to make entertaining television.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced
34. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization V Announced Feb 18, 2010, 18:24 Ruffiana

ASJD wrote on Feb 18, 2010, 17:23:
Personally I want to see them retool a lot of the thinking in the game design. My attack helicopters should not be losing to spearmen in a fortified city EVER. Basically they need to really crank up the complexity of the game mechanics, it shouldn't still be a game from 1990 with extras.

What...didn't you watch Return of the Jedi?

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo