Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Withheld

Real Name Withheld   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ruffiana
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 10, 2003, 16:04
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 17414

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > More Infinity Ward Departures
9. Re: More Infinity Ward Departures Apr 24, 2010, 03:00 Ruffiana

What's really sad about all of this is the people who will be left at Infinity Ward. Activision won't suffer from this. Presumably, Respawn has a sweetheart deal lined up for themselves. But the poor berks at Infinity Ward who aren't part of the A-List crowd moving on to Respawn are now left with trying to pick up the pieces and get a good game made with the stink of Activision's oopsie hanging over their head.

They'll be treated like scabs...Activision bitches...even though there's probably a good number of them who actually did work on the CoD:MW games and deserve as much credit as the IW to Respawn 'rockstars'.

I really hope they they can rebuild and continue the fine tradition IW has had to date with the MW series. The best thing that could happen would be that we end up with 2 top-notch development studios and whoever was the catalyst at Activision for letting this fiasco happen is the one who has to go on the job hung.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > John Romero's Unreal Engine Project
24. Re: John Romero's Unreal Engine Project Apr 21, 2010, 14:07 Ruffiana

As a level designer I think UE3 is great. I hear on the other hand its a nightmare for programmers.

I've never known a programmer who thought an engine wasn't a nightmare to work with...unless it was an engine that they'd written.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 20, 2010, 15:01 Ruffiana

I smell bullshit here. I'll bet the whole thing is a marketing stunt. It better be a damn marketing stunt that Gizmodo is a part of, otherwise I hope the fuckwads get their asses nailed to the wall:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/apr/19/gizmodo-paid-iphone-4g

I would really, really hate to see some guy lose his job over $5-10k bounty paid to some damn lowlife and a website operating with all the ethics of your average tabloid just to have an exclusive scoop about some shiny piece of consumer garbage.

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Apr 20, 2010, 14:03 Ruffiana

Creston wrote on Apr 20, 2010, 13:25:
We here at Kotaku just... can't... stop... beating... this... dead... horse!

Creston

I agree, and further I think they have a real problem with continuing to bead that dead horse

News Comments > Crytek's Demo Doubts
45. Re: Crytek's Demo Doubts Apr 17, 2010, 22:15 Ruffiana

Demos more often than not convince me to not buy a game. Unless it's a game I know I'm getting anyway, then the demo becomes like an appetizer.

On the other hand, I have very rarely been so disapointed with a game I purchased, that I wish I hadn't spent the money on it. It has to be a pretty damn dismal game for me to not enjoy playing it on some level.

Making a demo of a game is a real pain in the ass. You rarely know what part of the game you'd be comfortable with represeting the entirety of your game through a demo until long after the point where it becomes feasible to seperate it enough from the rest of the game that it can be released safely as a demo. On top of that there's the seperate alpha/beta/QA requirements for a stand-alone demo going on at the same time you're trying to get your game out the door. I can't fault these guys for being hesitant to do one, but I really don't see it hurting their sales all that much.

News Comments > StarCraft II AO in Korea
11. Re: StarCraft II AO in Korea Apr 17, 2010, 22:07 Ruffiana

They could rate this game 'buy it and we'll kill you on sight', and it'll still sell like crack in Korea.  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: Modern Warfare Studio Could Lose Another 20 People Apr 16, 2010, 16:51 Ruffiana

The arrogance of some of these people astounds me. As if the secret to cranking out a good game is simply hiring talented people. First, you have to find these talented people, convince them to come work for a studio that just had huge number of talented people bail from it, and hope that the team dynamic works as well as the original team. Talented people generally have talented egos, and they won't necessarily all see eye to eye and be capable of working together.

Infinity Ward was a gestalt. It had the creative vision, the team synergy, and the talented people to make these games successful. You can't just go out and hire that shit in time to release a game in 2011.

This whole thing reads like damage control from the financial sector who have a lot of money wrapped up in Activision stock. "Don't worry, it'll be okay! Keep buying their games long enough for us to dump all of our stock!"

News Comments > Infinity Ward Exodus Continues
47. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 20:17 Ruffiana

I would imagine that the lack of dedicated servers was a mutual decision. They were really focused on consoles for MW2, the PC version was just icing.

As for the IP, I can't imagine any scenario where Activision didn't gain ownership of it (assuming they didn't already have it), when they purchased IW in 2003

37. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 15:34 Ruffiana

I've long thought that one of the things that the Games industry could learn from the film industry is to do like Lucas did with his films: you own the franchise, IP, and derivative rights, and sell the marketing rights for a film on a per-title basis to the Film Companies (i.e. distributors). Keeps everyone honest.

That only works if you have the financial means to make your own game. Most publishers being asked to put up millions of dollars to fund a game are going to want some collateral for their financial risk, and that generally involves some stake in the IP in case the game is actually successful and ripe for becoming a franchise.

When your options are 1) Sell the IP rights to the publisher or 2) Shut down the studio and walk away from the game/IP entirely...not many people can choose option 2.

36. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 15:32 Ruffiana

Never seen a exodus this big...at least on a voluntary level.

How about 2015 with the same group of people. 22 developers (including all of production and the leads) jumped ship immediately after Medal of Honor: Allied Assault to form Infinity Ward and create the Call of Duty franchise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinity_Ward

35. Re: Infinity Ward Exodus Continues Apr 15, 2010, 15:24 Ruffiana

They will get 2, possibly 3 more huge selling games out of this franchise. Which arguably, would be about all they would have gotten out of it if anyway if the majority of IW, or even just the top talent there, was getting burnt out on this franchise anyway.

At least this way, Activision gets to pocket a lot more of the long-term royalties they would have had to pay out. It's actually kind of a win for Activision.

Gamers lose out, but the vast majority of people buying these games are clueless berks who don't know what a developer is, and just think that Activision makes all of the Call of Duty games in some kind of Activision-elf workshop.

The game industry is driven by the consumer mass market now.

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2010, 15:29.

News Comments > More Infinity Ward Departures
12. Re: More Infinity Ward Departures Apr 13, 2010, 13:35 Ruffiana

I'm so shocked to read this news.  

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Apr 13, 2010, 13:31 Ruffiana

Because you're idiots?

This really doesn't seem that hard to comprehend.

Creston

$10 for a map pack is idiotic, but $60 for a 30-40 hour game isn't?

Maybe there are a lot of people who realize that for less than the cost of a movie ticket, they can get many, many more hours of entertainment. $10 is nothing. $10 is a couple of meals at McDonalds.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Apr 13, 2010, 13:27 Ruffiana

This is just the budget game of this decade. It's a fad. Deerhunter made budget games the new, hot way to make money in the mid-90s that lead to a string of financial disasters. Then WoW brought MMOs into the limelight and everyone wanted to make one of those...again, string of blown money, canceled projects, and shut down developers. Now these social games are the new, revolutionary thing.  

News Comments > West and Zampella's New Studio
25. Re: West and Zampella's New Studio Apr 12, 2010, 16:35 Ruffiana

Yeah yeah...typo.

Plus, their reasons for leaving 2015 are separate for their reasons that they ultimately ended up with Activation rather than EA.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 2010, 18:22.

20. Re: West and Zampella's New Studio Apr 12, 2010, 14:10 Ruffiana

You didn't get there until a few months after the fact, but that was the story I heard from Matt and Olick.

This comment was edited on Apr 12, 2010, 18:23.

17. Re: West and Zampella's New Studio Apr 12, 2010, 13:26 Ruffiana

The bigger irony here is that these guys let the EA umbrella for Activision in the first place. To be fair though EA Partners is a bit different from their old structure with EA back then.

They 'left' the EA umbrella because Tom Kudirka of 2015 was in the process of suing EA for poaching all of his employees.

News Comments > Op Ed
8. Re: Op Ed Apr 7, 2010, 22:08 Ruffiana

I can't help but wonder how popular the dungeon finder would have been, had it been in at launch. Undoubtedly, a big part of the reason it is viewed as it is now is because it's a departure from the old pace. A lot of people are always looking for ways to get their carrot quicker and easier but the length of the stick is arbitrary.

If it takes 2 months to gain a level then having some way to gain a level in 2 weeks is going to feel quick. If it takes 1 hour to gain a level in a different game, then something that slows you down to only gaining a level every 4 hours is going to feel torturous. It's all subjective and based mostly on established precedent.

This feature was only released a few months ago. I think it's way too early to call this a win for Blizzard. They very well may have poisoned their own well on this one and lead to the majority of their players growing to feel that playing outside of the dungeon finder to be a waste of time, and that in turn could lead to everyone burning themselves out even quicker.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Kasumi Trailer
6. Re: Mass Effect 2 Kasumi Trailer Apr 6, 2010, 01:13 Ruffiana

I'm sure this DLC will be fine, and I really enjoyed ME2...but much like the Dragon Age DLC/expansions, this is all coming too late for me to really be excited about.  

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Answers, Footage
28. Re: Duke Nukem Forever Answers, Footage Apr 5, 2010, 21:03 Ruffiana

No offense but if someone has made the same complaints for the 100th time, then your complaint about the complaining, is the same complaint for the 50th time.

I think you should appreciate the irony about complaining about complaining. I would also hope you see the logical fallacy in it as well.

Oh, here we go. The complaining about the complainers complaining about the complaining again!

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo