Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Withheld

Real Name Withheld   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ruffiana
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 10, 2003, 16:04
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 17414

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > APB Audio Ads
37. Re: APB Audio Ads Jun 26, 2010, 16:50 Ruffiana

Slippery slope arguements are so rarely apt, especially in a situation like this were everyone has the ability to decide what is or is not acceptable. Who determines what is minimal? You, as the player do. Playing this game is entirely optional.

As for reversing something new, there is precedent. City of Heroes introduced real-world ads on the billboards in game. There was a huge player outcry before that happened about how it would lead to ads during loading screens, ads before missions, task forces being brought to you by Taco Bell, etc. None of that happened. A handful of ads went up on billboards, just like the developers said, and that was it. Today, the ads don't exist in game at all. For whatever reason, it proved to be more trouble that it was worth to support the ads in game. Which is something the devlopers also said from the beginning...that ad revenue would never eclipse revenue from subscriptions, and if push came to shove it would be in game ads that would get the boot.

The bottom line is ad revenue for games is just not anywhere near being profitable enough to provide a major source of revenue for a persistent MMO. Even print media and television struggles with remaining solvent through ad revenue alone. Until it is that will prevent advertising in games from becoming out of control in itself. Even without the moral compunctions of the developers ot maintain the purity of their game, it just won't make any business sense. Might as well switch over to a business model of having players pay for subscriptions in bits of string.

Frankly, a game like this that's set in a modern, urban environment is ripe for advertising through billboards; bus stop ads, televisions, radio, etc. I personally feel that kind of realistic use of ad noise would add immensely to the immersion. I'd much rather hear these audio ads blaring out of car steroes as they drive by...especially if I can blow up said car stereo with a rocket launcher.

There's a whole marketting campaing in itself. Blow up 500 Taco Bell billboards in APB and win a coupon for a free soft taco. I'd play it for that reason alone.

This comment was edited on Jun 26, 2010, 16:58.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > APB Audio Ads
30. Re: APB Audio Ads Jun 25, 2010, 20:08 Ruffiana

If the adds were part of a free to play option then this would be acceptable. Otherwise forget it.
Just to be clear, you think that it's okay to have ads in lieu of a monthly subscription...or a monthly subscription in lieu of ads. But some sort of hybrid approach where there is a lower than average monthly subscription and a minimal amount of ads is unacceptable?

Are you just of the opinion that the two can never mix?

News Comments > New Champions Online Adventure Pack
4. Re: New Champions Online Adventure Pack Jun 24, 2010, 20:57 Ruffiana

I suggest that people boycott Cryptic until they can finally keep their word on exclusive items offered for both their games being offered on the C-Store for a fraction of the original price to get them.

I really don't need any special reasons to avoid Cryptic games.

News Comments > US Spent $15B on Games in 2009
2. Re: US Spent $15B on Games in 2009 Jun 22, 2010, 18:18 Ruffiana

Hey, that's great...but used games and rentals do not provide revenue for the game industry. Might as well include games sold every e-bay or pirated games sold at flea markets.  

News Comments > Kane & Lynch 2 Dropping GFWL for Steamworks
9. Re: Kane & Lynch 2 Dropping GFWL for Steamworks Jun 22, 2010, 17:06 Ruffiana

...which is why Bethesda is also ditching GFWL in favour of Steamworks for Fallout:New Vegas, hmm?

Bethesda isn't making New Vegas, Obsidian Entertainment is.

News Comments > LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 "Hogsmeade" Trailer
2. Re: LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 Jun 21, 2010, 20:24 Ruffiana

Not sure if that's sarcasm or not, but I enjoyed the two SW games and the Indiana Jones one as well. I'm actually looking forward to this. Hopefully, their humorous slant on the subject matter will come across like the Potter Puppet Pals.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 13, 2010, 06:01 Ruffiana

Right there with you on 3D. It causes eyestrain enough while watching a movie and they expect us to play a game that has it? No thanks.

Games are actually a much more suitable media for 3D than film.

News Comments > Why Didn't You Buy GSB?
10. Re: Why Didn't You Buy GSB? Jun 5, 2010, 16:41 Ruffiana

With that said, I wish people would show more support to Indie developers by not pirating. If you don't want to fork over the money for it, don't download it. We all should support the PC platform more and take away the ammunition the console developers have against the PC market. I'm getting really sick of the console crowd labeling all PC gamers as pirates

Why doest that sentiment only apply to indie developers?

As for Cliffski...why don't you focus on making a game that you really want to play? If you try to appease the masses you'll only fail to appease any of them. If you're honest with yourself, as a gamer, and make something that you really enjoy...it'll do well.

And if it doesn't, at least you'll have a game you like to play.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Ipad Jun 1, 2010, 13:11 Ruffiana

I'll give Apple credit for creating another tech fad, but I don't think it is generally good for the users on the whole. For $600, it's an overpriced media toy, you can build a good desktop for the same amount, and it certainly doesn't offer the work functionality of a laptop.

But people are buying it so...
I can appreciate it as a $300 to maybe $400 toy, but it's otherwise a waste.

Not to be a defender of Apple here, but desktops ain't exactly portable.

News Comments > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Games
3. Re: Movie Games Suck and Game Movies Suck Jun 1, 2010, 13:08 Ruffiana

Well, at least, as we all know, games based on movies almost always suck, as do movies based on games. Too bad that some talented bunch of developers somewhere will be wasting their time on this garbage rather than developing something new and interesting.

Too bad that the games have become so mainstream that there are multiple audiences within the demographic, and this movie tie-in game will probably sell more than enough copies to make a very tidy profit...thereby perpetuating the long-standing business model of consumer tie-ins to popular movie franchises.

Just because you don't like it does not mean it's garbage. Nor that it's a waste of time to work on a popular, well selling game that undoubtedly a lot of people will play and enjoy. There's ample room in the market for games like this and everything else.

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed May 27, 2010, 20:50 Ruffiana

I'll admit it. I do make decisions as to whether or not to buy a game based on metacritic scores. If it's a game I'm interested in, with a 85+ score, I'll probably buy it. If it's one I'm interested in, but has sub 70 scores, I'll probably give it a pass.

Publishers LOVE metacritic scores, because there is direct correlation with scores and sales numbers, generally speaking. This is the first time I've heard of reviews being held back because of their meta-critic-ized score though. Not sure how I feel about that.

News Comments > Ubisoft Considering EA-Style DLC Scheme
45. Re: Ubisoft Considering EA-Style DLC Scheme May 19, 2010, 18:49 Ruffiana

Therefore, by introducing this scheme Ubi will be doing the same as EA and devaluing the second hand price of the game, which should devalue the original purchase price.

That's making the assumption that most people who buy a game, do so with the intent of selling it after they're done with it. I would argue that most people do not resell their games, or at the very least most people do not make the decision to purchase or not purchase a game based on the expected resell value.

News Comments > Humble Indie Bundle Update: Source Code Promise
6. Re: Humble Indie Bundle Update: Source Code Promise May 8, 2010, 15:42 Ruffiana

This is what PC gaming is about, great fun games, no DRM, and giving.

$500.000 in half-week... That should send a message to commercial publishers if they weren't too dumb to actually listen to it.

Yeah, why strive for making $310 million in the first 24 hours when you could be making $500k in a half a week or so. Idiots!

News Comments > King's Quest Fan Game Saved?
2. Re: King's Quest Fan Game Saved? May 3, 2010, 23:27 Ruffiana

Willing to bet Bobby knows nothing about this studio or their project. It's standard IP protection.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops Announced
23. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops Announced Apr 30, 2010, 13:23 Ruffiana

Look, I know that there's a huge feeling of angst at both IW over their MP decisions and activision for their treatment of employees, but don't trail that contempt down to Treyarch. They're a talented group that listens to their customer base (hence their public promice for dedicated servers in this new game), so throw the crap in the direction it is deserved.

Unfotunately, what benefits Treyarch has a greater benefit for Activsion...and I'm tired of seeing publishers profit by steamrolling over the lives and contributions of the people who actually make the games.

I'm interested in this new relationship between Bungie and Activision, where Bungie will be creating and retaining ownership of a new IP and Activision is basically serving to market and distribute the games. That's the way it
should
be and that's the way it used to be before publishers figured out that they could make a lot more money by buying developers and using them like little engines to spit out product.

This comment was edited on Apr 30, 2010, 13:50.

News Comments > Call of Duty Announcement Saturday
8. Re: Call of Duty Announcement Saturday Apr 28, 2010, 18:29 Ruffiana

I'd buy that for a dollar.

I wouldn't buy it...but I'd pirate it

News Comments > Activision's Lawsuit Response
33. Re: Apr 28, 2010, 02:49 Ruffiana

These days though, it doesn't matter. There's not even really any such thing as a verbal contract anymore. You got to get that shit down on paper.

Verbal agreements are still legally binding. You just have a heck of a time proving those promises were made in a court of law if one party is willing to perjure themselves.

32. Re: Activision's Lawsuit Response Apr 28, 2010, 02:42 Ruffiana

So you are saying that the work Activision done in marketing the game had no part in it , you're implying that the game was super fantastic and that the programmers/artist/sound/desgin guys should all be given a life times amount of money each?? Is that what you are meaning?

I'm not wasting my time, I'm saving my time and money. That's a whole segment of games that I don't have to think about, look into, or bother throwing money at to play.

31. Re: Activision's Lawsuit Response Apr 28, 2010, 02:37 Ruffiana

So you are saying that the work Activision done in marketing the game had no part in it , you're implying that the game was super fantastic and that the programmers/artist/sound/desgin guys should all be given a life times amount of money each?? Is that what you are meaning?

No, what I'm saying is that for a single game that has made over $1 billion dollars, throwing less than 1/10 of that back to the people who've spent 40-50+ hours a week, for 1.5-2 years actually making the damn thing isn't going to drive Activision into backruptcy. And that's on one game alone. I have no idea how much the entire Call of Duty franchise has made for Activision, but it would have never happened without the creative talent of the individuals working for Infinity Ward.

I'm sure marketting helped the bottom line. I'm also fairly confident that the people working in Activision's marketting are already well taken care of.

And yeah, if the game continues to make money for the rest of their lifes, then the developers who worked on it should get a portion of that money for the rest of their lives.

9. Re: Activision's Lawsuit Response Apr 27, 2010, 19:57 Ruffiana

I'd be very interested in signing any petition against Activision to pay their developers the royalties they should be paid.

Legally rights or not, there's ethically right and wrong. When you've got people who are literally giving you years of their only life in order to produce the best selling piece of entertainment across all forms of media...pay them fucking royalties. I don't care if they have huge egos, are giant assholes, no longer work at the company, called your mother a whore, planned to jump ship and form their own studio with a competing publisher...it doesn't matter. You made a metric fuckton of cash off of their hard work, ideas, and creative vision and any human being with a soul would know that they deserve a fair percentage of that money.

Until Activision convinces me that they're more interested in making games than money, they're no longer getting any of mine.

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 2010, 20:04.

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo