Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Withheld

Real Name Withheld   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ruffiana
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 10, 2003, 16:04
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 17414

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > New Neverwinter Game Announcement Nears?
6. Re: New Neverwinter Game Announcement Nears? Aug 8, 2010, 15:20 Ruffiana

Warskull wrote on Aug 8, 2010, 15:06:
One small problem, who is going to make this one? Atari lost both Bioware and Obsidian. I would love a good Neverwinter as much as the next guy, but Atari's internal devs are absolutely horrible. Do they have any good studios left to make this?

As for 4th edition, that almost seems made to be played as a video game.

A 'cryptic' mention, eh? Nice, blue.

Is this not the worst kept secret in the industry at this point?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Aug 8, 2010, 14:21 Ruffiana

What does 'news' mean, anyway?  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 2, 2010, 13:27 Ruffiana

They were, but now they're owned by Zenimax. Maybe they'll combine forces and trash-talk Activision  

News Comments > More StarCraft II Sales Figures
10. Re: More StarCraft II Sales Figures Aug 2, 2010, 12:25 Ruffiana

Yeah, all you have to do to have a great selling PC game is be a top-tier developer with a dozen or so hit games, practically limitless self-funding, and put out a sequel to one of the world's most popular, genre defining games that's you've been working on for almost 11 or 12 years.  

News Comments > StarCraft II Patched
2. Re: StarCraft II Patched Jul 30, 2010, 22:20 Ruffiana

You won't be disappointed with the single player campaign. It's massive, full of cinematics, in game cutscenes, and achievements to be earned. I'm currently at a point where I'm playing through some missions as Protoss, presumably to briefly introduce players to all of their units and buildings. I'm betting there will be series of missions where you also play as Zerg at some point. All in all, it's a LOT more involved than the campaigns from the first game and I can totally see why they've opted to split it up into 3 parts.

Unfortunately, I'm also falling victim to the random BSOD restart that seems to be plauging a lot of other people on the Starcraft II forums. Hoping that gets fixed sooner rather than later.

News Comments > More StarCraft II
12. Re: More StarCraft II Jul 27, 2010, 21:33 Ruffiana

Multiplayer is where it's at, I don't see much wrong with pirating it just to play the single player campaign to be honest. If you buy the game just to play the single player campiagn then you really do not get your moneys worth.

I agree, it's not like Blizzard spent any time or money on the single player game with any thought of possibly recouping that investment through game sales. There's also nothing as fulfilling as spending years of your life working on a project only to have some self-entitled piece of shit tell you 'meh, it's not worth sixty of my dollars...but I'll play it for free!'

They'll always have the satisfaction of knowing that people can entertain themselves with the game they didn't pay for while sprinkling negative reviews amongst game site forums about how it's not really worth the money they didn't spend.

FYI, I bought the $99 collector's edition with very little interest in playing multiplayer.

News Comments > StarCraft II Midnight Launch
16. Re: StarCraft II Midnight Launch Jul 27, 2010, 00:45 Ruffiana

Debating about whether or not to try and hit one of the midnight sales, or just wait and pick it up at lunch tomorrow. The Best Buy near my office is pretty remote...I can't imagine they'll sell out.

What's in the Collector's Edition? Is it worth the extra $40?

This comment was edited on Jul 27, 2010, 00:54.

News Comments > Atari Financials
2. Re: Atari Financials Jul 25, 2010, 14:50 Ruffiana

God help us all. Cryptic's business model being the MMO factory and cranking out a mediocre MMO in 2 years and then triple dipping into customer's pockets after launch is actually profitable. Buy the game, pay a sub, and pay for bonus content.

As if it wasn't hard enough to get top quality games out of this genre.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 DLC & Weapons Pack
2. Re: Mass Effect 2 DLC & Weapons Pack Jul 25, 2010, 14:48 Ruffiana

Why would they throw a bone to people who've already bought the game new?  

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2010, 13:52 Ruffiana

Ruffiana wrote on Jul 18, 2010, 13:49:
We're working on a DX11 engine right now, so I've seen some of this tech in action and it's pretty impressive. Unlike Messiah's sub-division surfaces, DX11's tesselation is seamless. The "Stone Giant" demo is a good example of this in action, it's only when you turn on the wireframe and see the tesslation happening that you can notice it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbIQSZs9Zvs

Small point of correction though, it doesn't make "make floors and walls look truly three-dimensional, even when close-up", it is actually creating and displacing geometry...unlike some of the current gen tricks that give the appearance of three dimensional surfaces. It's a small, but crucial step forward in real-time rendering tech.

The programmers are raving about 'geometry shaders', but that's above my pay grade to understand.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Jul 18, 2010, 13:49 Ruffiana

We're working on a DX11 engine right now, so I've seen some of this tech in action and it's pretty impressive. Unlike Messiah's sub-division surfaces, DX11's tesselation is seamless. The "Stone Giant" demo is a good example of this in action, it's only when you turn on the wireframe and see the tesslation happening that you can notice it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbIQSZs9Zvs

Small point of correction though, it doesn't make "make floors and walls look truly three-dimensional, even when close-up", it is actually creating and displacing geometry...unlike some of the current gen tricks that give the appearance of three dimensional surfaces.

It's a small, but crucial step forward in real-time rendering tech.

News Comments > WSJ: StarCraft II Cost More Than $100M
24. Re: WSJ: StarCraft II Cost More Than $100M Jul 17, 2010, 02:34 Ruffiana

Eh, it stands out more at Blues, but it just seems to be PC gaming culture now. Sucks, because I too am getting tired of it. Seems to be the way it is now. Maybe I just have on some particularly dark rose-tinted glasses, but it seems PC gamers as a whole weren't always overly negative dbags...

It's not your glasses, it's the culture of the internet for everything...not just PC gaming, console gaming, or gaming as a whole. People on the internet generally act like douchebags. When they're not acting like douchebags, we're mis-reading what they say as such.

Ironically, some of the exact malaise that Blizzard wants to combat with stripping away anonymity on their forums. I have had the pleaser of meeting a number of people from forums in real life and they are, with very few exceptions, much nicer face to face.

News Comments > King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One
14. Re: King's Quest Fan-Game Episode One Jul 12, 2010, 03:49 Ruffiana

Too bad EA won't allow anyone to remake/modernize some of their old games! They hold all the aces with their past gems like Starflight, Wasteland, Sentinnel Worlds, Ultima's, Autoduel, Moebius, 2040 AD, MULE and many many more!

Slippery slope. IP protection can be tricky if you don't actively keep a tight reign on things.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 "Defeat" Explained
5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Jul 9, 2010, 00:50 Ruffiana

So unless these 'downed mode' skills are far superior to what you normally have, this is essentially a double death.

You'll 'die' once by trying to fight something tougher than you can handle, which will put you into what's undoubtedly a weaker 'downed mode'...continue to be attacked while trying to fight back against the same thing that just beat you while you were at full strength ...and shortly be killed again. At which point it's a pretty standard death penalty in terms of time sink.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jul 8, 2010, 13:13 Ruffiana

With every word, he becomes more and more irrelevant for our modern society.

Might as well lament the fading popularity of greek tragedies as a popular art. "To hell with these talkie pictures and color television! They're fads. Magic lanterns will never surpass the pure art of the legimitate stage!"

I would trade all the critics in the world for almost any game.

News Comments > Blizzard on Real ID
49. Re: John Birshire, real name, no gimmicks... Jul 8, 2010, 02:14 Ruffiana

If you have one of the 1% of names that are truly so rare that you happen to be the only person in your geographic area with that name, well then, I guess you might want to think twice about being a cocksucker on the forums.

You could just shorten that to "you might want to think twice about being a cocksucker on the forums" and move on.

News Comments > THQ Courted Respawn, Needs IP Ownership
9. Re: THQ Courted Respawn, Needs IP Ownership Jun 30, 2010, 22:07 Ruffiana

The THQ guy is stuck in the old way of thinking that publishers should have as much control as possible...

This is not an old way of thinking, just a different way of thinking. Ownership of the IP is important for THQ. That doesn't necessarily mean they're getting a larger share of the profits. In fact, Respawn will ultimately end up with a smaller share of the profits from their deal with EA specifically because EA doesn't get ownership of the IP.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Jun 30, 2010, 11:09 Ruffiana

Yeah, good luck attracting 'talented individuals' with this drama-fest looming over you. Add to that all of the crap that Kotick has said regarding corporate culture and Activision/Infinity Ward is looking to be one of the least attractive places to land a job.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/4/14/

News Comments > Dead Rising 2 Delay
6. Re: Dead Rising 2 Delay Jun 28, 2010, 14:25 Ruffiana

Civ V will hopefully be worth 2 or 3 games in itself.  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Evil Twin Jun 27, 2010, 14:10 Ruffiana

Farmville's wildly successful by any metric. It's an okay game, but I think thta Zynga has done a really good job with their latest, Frontierville. It's actually a fun little casual game.

The spammyness of these games can be controlled by setting up a friend's list specifically to send in-game messages out to, but that is a feature I really wish the games themselves would incorporate. I don't mind spamming my friends who also play these games, because they want to click on the links to get the goodies...but I don't like hammering my non-playing friend's walls with hundreds of game related posts a day. That's way beyond viral marketting and deep into harassment territory.

I wouldn't call this relationship parastic as much as symbiotic. The main reason I frequent facebook as much as I do now is because of Zynga's games.

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo