Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Withheld

Real Name Withheld   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Ruffiana
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 10, 2003, 16:04
Total Comments 894 (Graduate)
User ID 17414

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs
71. Re: Fallout: New Vegas Bonus Missed by 1 Point; Obsidian Layoffs Mar 16, 2012, 12:34 Ruffiana

Fion wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 21:04:
How can this incredible game not have an 85 at Metacritic? Sure the first few days were rocky but over all New Vegas is WORLDS better than Fallout 3 (which has a 91). Not to mention it's easily the best Obsidian game.. ever lol.

I enjoyed Fallout 3 much more than New Vegas. *shrugs*

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 15, 2012, 15:08 Ruffiana

Tumbler wrote on Mar 15, 2012, 13:00:
Meh. I'm not going to buy Street Fighter X Tekken, am trying to trade for it. Can't say I care all that much but all this stuff was simply unlock content in previous years.

You're not adding more to your games, you're using the DLC system to sell people games that are partially locked and then asking them to pay extra to play everything.

$60 is enough to get everything. If you want $60 for your game you shouldn't complain about people being pissed. You're a shitty publisher if you do this. If that content needs to be charged extra for then sell your game for $50 and say the rest of the content is optional.

Day One DLC / Locked content is just bad business. It's looking short term when all these companies consider their franchises valuable long term investments.

This is a wholely seperate thing from Day 1 DLC. DLC is by its very nature developed outside of the core game. This is something that was part of the core game and intentionally locked away to be sold seperately. I know that from an outside, general population perspective it appears to be the same thing...but internally they're not.

Whether it's wrong for publishers to do this is up for debate. I'm more inclined to not care for this type of locked content being purchases seperately because it's ridiculously inexpensive to create. Some RGB values, a slightly different shader, and maybe an extra texture or two.

On the other hand, it's their business. It's their product. They're free to break it up into a billion little pieces and try and make as much money as they can from the people who are actually going to pay them. Business is inherently greedy. The whole point is to make us much profit as possible, and sadly these publicly traded publishers are legally bound to do shit like this to appease shareholders.

Still completely different issue than DLC, even 'day 1 DLC' that's on the disc.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Mar 14, 2012, 14:50 Ruffiana

SpectralMeat wrote on Mar 14, 2012, 12:56:
Will they ever learn? Wasn't there some similar crap about the DLC a few days ago, where they said the DLC wasn't finished before the game was finished yet it is on the disc.

FFS. It wasn't on the disc. Part of the data was on the disc. Another 650mb of it has to be downloaded.

When a game is "complete" and when that game data gets stamped onto a disc are two different things. Very different things in the case of console games where the TCR process adds even more time to the final stages of development.

A game are generally "feature complete" 8-10 months before they've gone gold. There's plenty of time for additional content to be developed in the window between that pencils-down date and the final gold-master date along with bug-fixing and polish for the core game itself. It's entirely likely that DLC can be complete and ready to go on day 1, especially if it's mined from partially complete content that was cut before the alpha stage. It's entirely possible that DLC can be completed in that time-frame and put on the gold master disc with the game itself in order to save people from having to download all of it from scratch. It's even possible that every single byte of data needed might be on the disc, but that doesn't mean it was ever part of the core game.

Either way, it's not part of the game any more than DLC released 2 years later is. We're not paying the developers directly. They don't work for us. We pay for the product, the game, in whatever format, shape, size, length, scope they say the game is. Why people think they're entitled to every scrap of work done during a game's development is completely baffling to me. People are seemingly outraged by the very idea of Day 1 DLC...even in the complete abscense of any evidence about what the core game is without it.

Finding some of the DLC data on the disc proves jack-shit.

What drives me bat-shit crazy about all of this is that people wouldn't issue a peep of complaint if 1) all of the DLC data had to be downloaded and 2) it was released a week after the game launched. Internally, everything could have happened exactly the same way but because they've stupidly made it more convenient and immediately available, a shit-storm has ensued.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Unlocks Relocking
10. Re: Mass Effect 3 Unlocks Relocking Mar 13, 2012, 14:05 Ruffiana

Creston wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 13:38:
Bhruic wrote on Mar 13, 2012, 13:14:
Speaking of idiotic decisions... Just read that even if you do play ME3 MP to increase the readiness percentage, the readiness actually decreases every day that you don't play. Reports seem to be in the 2-5% loss per day range.

But don't worry, MP and SP are totally separate!

Mine falls by about 3% a day. The whole War Assets things seems to make 0.0 difference to the ending, as I had over 7000 and still got a shitty ending. So I wouldn't worry about your GR.

Creston

Multiplayer is not necessary.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 9, 2012, 16:34 Ruffiana

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091103041916AA7mDtn

Concession sales is how local theaters stay in business. Deal with it.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup
43. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 12:48 Ruffiana

Ray Marden wrote on Mar 6, 2012, 12:30:
I guess it comes down to the fine details - how things are presented, how epic things feel, how much they draw me in, how it plays, etc. - but I am concerned that this is just another re-release of the first game.

ME: Start from nothing, go build a team, go to an endgame fight.

ME2: Start from death, build a team, go to an endgame fight.

ME3: Start from a weak spot, build a team, go to an endgame fight.

I played the first two games and they were okay, but certainly not the amazing works of art that some people make them out to be - the story feels too limited and it is not a particularly strong, deep RPG or shooter. To date, the AI of the teammates has been fairly lacking as well.

Either way, here is to hoping they got the mix right this time. If not, I guess this will just be version 3.0 of the behind cover shooter release.

I have not read the reviews in detail - please, please, please, please, please tell me that planet scanning has been removed...
Worst part of the entire series.
Wondering what part of the story needs to be purchased to be seen,
Ray

It's not the main plot that's great, it's the sub-plots related to characters, their dialogue, and the manner that the story is told.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup
42. Re: Mass Effect 3 Ships; Review Roundup Mar 6, 2012, 12:43 Ruffiana

There's no rational, reasonable excuse to give a game--any game--a score of 0 unless you open the box and instead of a disc there's a picture of Bobby Kotick's johnson with "Suck it!" written in comic-sans.  

News Comments > id on DOOM 4 Images
60. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 17:14 Ruffiana

Beamer wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 10:32:
Anyone that thinks Romero wasn't sitting there going "how can we make this more awesome" when he made Nazis fall holding their jugular and trying to stem the bleeding in Wolfenstein is an idiot.

Yes, there are things that clearly reek of overtrying, like pretty much anything Paul Steed did, but "awesome" isn't even being used like that here.

Christ that was an oddly nitpicking post.

I've heard Steed acused of many things, but "over-trying" is a first.

News Comments > Markus Metes Mojang Masses Minecraft Millions
11. Re: Markus Metes Mojang Masses Minecraft Millions Mar 2, 2012, 14:22 Ruffiana

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2012, 13:11:
I have a friend who works for a profit sharing company and it works incredibly well. Money talks and BS walks. It never ceases to amaze me how much money corps waste on trying to motivate emplyees with the "we're a team and all in it together" BS. Nothing motivates like a big fat bonus.

Should give this a look see

News Comments > Game of Thrones Web MMORPG Details
4. Re: Game of Thrones Web MMORPG Details Feb 29, 2012, 13:29 Ruffiana

Welcome to the World of Thrones.
You have been backstabbed for 1,000 points of damage.
You have died.

News Comments > Unreal Engine 4 at GDC
38. Re: Unreal Engine 4 at GDC Feb 28, 2012, 18:28 Ruffiana

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 05:54:
Actually, you don't need more or better artists, you just need better tools. Sculpting is still a terrible chore and normal map generation for sculpts requires complex unwrapping and messing around.

What we actually need is procedural shaders for primary materials, like wood, stone, plants, ground material (sand/stone/etc.) as well as any kind of metal compound with paint simulation. A dirt simulation, AO in-engine baking etc.

The solution to better graphics is not more artists or more art. It is quite literally to automate stupid processes in art creation. Something that requires infinitely more GPU power than we have now, procedural stuff is still at least 20 times slower than baked stuff, that is why EPIC said that. The future is not better shaders, the future is that you do not need to design shaders anymore, you set the material type, paint type, dirt/wear is simulated according to model and you are done. At that point, you can do high-poly objects outside of sculpting, and once sculpting, baking, unwrapping is gone from art-work flow you can finally see some decent graphics in indy games, and superb graphics (photo-real, actually) in AAA games.

Procedural shaders are still years away though. Someone would have to do some insane R&D on that, but once that is done the possibilities are endless.

Well yes, and no. Definitely at a bottleneck in terms of content creation requirements for modern graphic rendering techniques...but if that bottleneck were removed tomorrow with the wave of a magic wand, the thing that's holding games back is a proper respect for art direction and technical art direction.

The reason so many games look the same is because they're based on the same sources of inspiration, share very similiar art direction, and mostly rely on the same shaders mined out of the same white-papers. Developers with the technical capability to pioneer and develop new ways of rendering triangles and pixels are few and far between...and they tend to get copied once they publish a white-paper for GDC or Siggraph.

We'll always be developing tricks for simulating the way real-world materials look in a 3D engine because it's just flat out faster than raytracing everything. It will always be faster--performance wise--to fake something than brute-force your way through it.

Otherwise I agree, the tools and pipelines have a long way to go. Not just modeling though. Rigging, skinning, animation, lighting, environments, scripting, every bit of content is struggling with implementing in increasingly complex system.

News Comments > Hydrophobia Developer Going Under
10. Re: Hydrophobia Developer Going Under Feb 28, 2012, 14:13 Ruffiana

Prez wrote on Feb 28, 2012, 11:14:
Hydrophobia, if nothing else, showed that the developer had real promise. Hopefully these guys will be stay with the industry, and maybe even try again.

Sadly, individual talent is a distant second to team chemistry and, more importantly, effective management and leadership.

When a team that's completed a game is disbanded like this, it's just a crapshoot as to whether they'll ever be a part of a project that can actually make it to completion.

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Feb 28, 2012, 01:09 Ruffiana

I dunno what kids you were using in your study, but I have to pry mine away from the Kinect displays in Best Buy with a damn crowbar.  

News Comments > Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated
20. Re: Diablo III Skill Calculator Updated Feb 27, 2012, 18:05 Ruffiana

PHJF wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 17:31:
Yeah, and why should we even have "classes" anyways? You like having to level up separate classes, be my guest... just don't force me to do it.

In fact, why do have levels? I want my character to have every skill at the start of the game.

And loot. I don't want to go through all that tedious killing monsters for it. Just give me a full Tal's set, a HoZ, a few HOTOs, a couple Nigmas...

Excellent use of the slippery slope fallacy.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours
18. Re: Mass Effect 3 = 40 Hours Feb 27, 2012, 13:47 Ruffiana

Cutter wrote on Feb 27, 2012, 13:11:
So it's really 20 hours or less. You're a fool if you buy this thing full price!

If you skip through, focusing on just the main storyline then yeah...it'll be pretty short. But it's all of the side-quests, squadmate story-arcs, even random planet encounters that really fill in the bulk of these games. It's always been like that, and with the exception of the random planet stuff, the side-missions are on par with the main storyline in terms of content.

Not to mention it's easily replayable at least one time for the Paragon/Renegade paths.

News Comments > Diablo III Skills Unveiled
1. Re: Diablo III Skills Unveiled Feb 25, 2012, 13:27 Ruffiana

Anyone else read this headline in Napoleon Dynamite's voice?  

News Comments > BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC
79. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 24, 2012, 20:52 Ruffiana

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 19:24:
In the case of Day 1 DLC it's bullshit. Sure things get cut all the time from games in development all the time, but if you honestly believe for one second that 4 releases in a row from Bioware, just happened to have "extra" content DLC ready for launch day on a whim, I have a bridge to sell you really cheap.

Not once have I inferred that this was accidental. All I've said is that day one DLC content is most likely content that would have never been part of the core game in the first place. People need to get over this stigma of "day one" and just focus on what's really important: the value of the core game and the value of any DLC sold for that game. Until it's been released, it's all speculation but I feel pretty comfortable making an educated guess based on the previous 2 games in this franchise and quality of the DLC released for them.

How a developer opts to monetize the content they've paid to create is their business.

75. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 24, 2012, 19:14 Ruffiana

briktal wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 16:30:
Beamer wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 16:16:
Do we know this is content?
If this stuff is half-baked it isn't content. If having this extra companion, even if they're an extinct species, adds nothing to the game (no quests, no special dialogue, nothing other than really something that looks different and yells different things during combat) I'd argue that it isn't content.

The real problem with these day one DLC characters is that they become half integrated into the game. They'll probably have as much personal quest stuff as the other characters, but they can't be as involved in the main plot of the game as the non-DLC characters, because the game has to work without them.

Why is this a bad thing? It might slightly diminish the quality of the DLC itself, but that's not an inssue with day-one DLC specifically...that's an issue with any DLC that has optional characters. Or really just a problem with non-universal content. Nothing in DLC can be "critical" to the core game.

The other thing with this day one DLC stuff: maybe they did work on it after the game was sent of to cert and blah blah, but it was almost a given, based on past games and industry trends, that there was going to be day one DLC made. If they didn't work on it until the "core" game was finished, did they talk about it before it was done? It might not be actual finished content cut from the main game, but it very well could be content they decided to schedule as day one DLC and not part of the "core" game.

So? You think every bit of content talked about, planned, or even started for a game either makes into the "core" game or is released as DLC later? A lot of the content of any creative endeavor like this ends up cut before a game is "done"...in various stages of completion. Again, what you buy as a game is what you get...not what you don't get, what the developers have decided to sell seperately, and certainly not a perpetual license to any future content.

64. Re: BioWare Explains Mass Effect 3 Day One DLC Feb 24, 2012, 15:58 Ruffiana

Julio wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 15:39:
The truth is clearly they took content out of the game to sell it as DLC.

It is a possiblity, but whether it was finished content removed from the game prior to certification, or incomplete content cut much earlier and finished up, or completely new content made after it does not matter. In any situation it's content that is not part of the game.

There's no deception going on here. Here's the game, in the box...no Prothean. $60. Take it or leave it. Based on ME1 and ME2 I think we all have a pretty good idea of the quality and scope of this game without any DLC and for me personally, it's well worth the price.

This DLC or any future DLC is not part of what your $60 for ME3 gets you. Get over it. Buy it or don't buy it. You didn't pay for the development of this game...you're entitled to jack-shit.

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Feb 24, 2012, 15:14 Ruffiana

Veterator wrote on Feb 24, 2012, 08:40:
Im kind of shocked the author knows himself what the rest of the books will entail. Most authors claim to have general outlines and fill in as they write. Kind of letting the story develop around the outline they have instead of holding it all in their head to the last detail.

Depends on the author. Most know the story, it's the characters that change over time.

894 Comments. 45 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo